Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Black Dragon's Graveyard ❯ The Item's Trick ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Black Dragon's Graveyard

Chapter 2

~*~

Was I even paying attention to my classes? Hardly. I was still focused on the Millennium Item. I felt like it was calling out to me, telling me to find it before Yugi or Bakura got a hold of it. I tried to ignore the temptation of it, but it was becoming very difficult.

The bell finally rang for everyone to go home. I watched as Yugi packed his school bag and then turned to me with an anxious smile. "Come on Joey. Let's go before Bakura finds it." He pointed to the bandit already exiting the room to change his shoes.

I smirked at Bakura's retreat. "Don't worry Yug. With the help of your Yami, I'm sure we'll find it before Bakura does."

"Yeah, but his ring can tell where it is, the puzzle can't," Yugi explained.

I stared regretfully down at the floor. Yugi really didn't have to point that out. "Uh…right. Then, let's get started." I grabbed Yugi's arm and dragged him out the door. Hopefully, we would get a head start on the hunt. When we reached the shoe rack, Bakura was already out the door, giving us an evil smirk.

Yugi sighed as he reached for his outside shoes. "We'll never get there at this rate."

"Sure we will!" There I go again, trying to encourage Yugi. He's been very unenthusiastic lately. I wonder if Yugi is sick or upset about something. As soon as I change my shoes and put my bag away, I walk to the door and wait for my friend.

Yugi jumped up and kicked his toes against the floor, getting his shoes situated. "Alright," he started. "I'm ready!"

I nodded and the both of us raced into town, passing the game shop along the way.

We went into the first jewelry store that was near the school and just opened yesterday. It wasn't very big and it mainly contained rings and necklaces. I guess they weren't fully prepared yet. I snorted in annoyance as I waited for Yugi's yami to study the jewelry and work his way out of the seller's grasp. I just grabbed him by the collar and dragged him out of the store. "Come on Yugi. Let's go to the next one."

Yugi nodded and smiled at me in appreciation for rescuing him from the jeweler.

"Hey, Yug. You said Yami would explain about the eighth item," I reminded.

Before I even realized it, Yami was already standing beside me and pointing to the bandit wondering from a jewelry store, looking a bit disgruntled. "I'm going to guess he didn't find anything in there," Yami said.

I nodded to agree. "Let's hurry to the other one before he gets to it." We hurried down the sidewalk, trying to avoid bumping into anyone.

"The new item that I since did not come from the tomb, like my puzzle or the other items did," Yami started to explain, until Bakura bumped into us.

He growled at us and looked up at the sign above our heads.

"Hope's Jewelry," I stated.

Bakura shoved us aside and tried to enter. Yami grabbed the bandit's lapel and tugged on it hard, forcing him to fall back against the sidewalk with a grunt. I couldn't help but snicker at the foreplay.

"You deserved that," I mocked.

Bakura kicked my leg, forcing me to collapse on top of him sideways with my elbow in his chest. We both moaned in agony. "You idiot," I scolded. I quickly stood before Bakura decided he wanted his hands around my neck. I stared at the fallen bandit with amusement. "Let's go Yugi, before he gets up."

Yami nodded and walked into the store. He immediately stopped before he even passed the case of bracelets causing me to almost bump into him. "What's wrong?" I asked.

Yami shook his head and turned back to the door. "It's not here. I would know if it was in here." He walked out, leaving me a little flustered. I could feel curious eyes staring me up and down. I frowned and quickly exited the scene before I was hit up for pieces of jewelry.

I heard the Pharaoh moan as he faced the direction of the game shop. "It's fading. I think someone bought it." He crossed his arms over his chest in contemplation.

I noticed Bakura stand behind us and starting to laugh. I really wished he had stayed down a little longer. "You're right, Yami. Someone just bought the item," he sneered.

I glared at him, but kept my mouth shut. Besides the ring that was glowing and pointing in all five directions, we would lose it. Wait a minute. If Bakura's ring was going in all five directions there had to be more than one around. "Bakura?" I turned to him, hoping he would react.

"Hn?" He answered.

"If your ring can find any Millennium Item it wanted, how come you hadn't found the other four?"

He stared at me like I was ignorant and then down at his ring. He grunted as he responded. "There aren't four others. There is only one. This Millennium Item that we are seeking has trickster possessing it."

"The ring was the only item that could seek it in a quick point, so it came up with a clever idea to lose the ring's track by spreading its own aurora all over the place," Yami finished.

Okay, I was stumped. "So, what you're saying is that this item has a mind of its own?" I asked either who was listening.

Bakura nodded. "I guess you could say that. It wasn't used to revive any strong beings from the spiritual world, so it was given a special tomb all to itself. Never to be disturbed by anyone because of its power. However, this item grew bored waiting to be discovered, as we just witnessed"

Yami nodded. "I semi remember an item like that. We had locked someone into it after he died, hoping he wouldn't be reawakened to do anymore harm. But his power overcame ours, so that's why he has the item under control and also why it was locked away by itself. He was a nuisance to society, causing chaos amongst the villages and villagers. If I remember correctly, he didn't harm a living soul…just made them plain miserable, like a swarm of locust in a rice field."

"The Millennium Earring," Bakura stated bluntly. "Now that you mention it, I have a thing to pick with that item."

Yami glanced at Bakura from the side of his eye. "Of course, Bakura. Why wouldn't you? The captive within the item outsmarted you in so many ways in the past life."

Bakura growled at the tri-haired yami. "Don't push it…Pharaoh."

"Does the earring have a grudge against you as well, Bakura?" I was pretty amused by all of this.

Bakura snorted. "If its any of your business, Wheeler, yes he did. We were rivals in the Egyptian life. Sometimes, out of boredom, we would hunt each other down to create havoc upon one another."

I started to laugh. "I wouldn't doubt it."

"Yes, and when they were together, they created more devastation, usually Bakura taking the villagers' lives and the other just destroying homes and fields."

I realized that they hadn't even mentioned the <i>other's</i> name yet. "Don't you guys remember his name?" I inquired, kind of annoyed by calling him <i>he</i> all the time.

"Jou!" They both said at the same time and then looked up at me as if this guy's image struck them like a blow to the stomach.

If you have ever felt uncomfortable in your life, this was as good as time as any.

To Be Continued

~*~

A/N: What? I just want to have a little fun before I get to the good stuff!! *giggles* I'm thinking that the next chapter will involve Joey getting the earring, but not really grasping the concept that it's the Millennium Item. *nod nod*