Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Master And His Slave ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Ha, did you know I was originally going to burn this sucker, and never post it??? Yep! I have no clue what made me change my mind. I just started writing one day and BAM this poped up on the screen. -_- So, tell me what you think after you read it! I may or may not continue this. I depends on you, the readers.

WARNING: This AU, and it's a self-insert. Mainly I'm Ryou's sister. That's about all that's different from the show... Oh and to let you know... I don't say Bakura and Yami Bakura. It gets on my nerves for some reason. So... Ryou's the good, never-hurt-a-fly mortal, and Bakura's the kick-@$$, tomb-robbing, spirit. Now, read on!

Part One - Little One

Ashley ran a hand through her messy white hair in an attempt to tame the wild locks. She had no such luck though, and she decided instead to put her hair up into a ponytail.

She had the apartment to herself that day. Her brother, Ryou, had taken off with his friends and that was fine with her. She really didn't like his friends all that much. Joey and Tristan were too wild, and Tea was too much of a `goody-good'. Yugi, though his innocence and never-ending high spirits got on her nerves sometimes, was the only one she actually liked.

Finished with her hair, she headed toward the living room, ready to sprawl out on the couch and watch TV until her brother got home. As she passed her brother's door, though, she came to a stop. It was shut and undoubtedly locked; it always was. He'd told her countless times to stay out of his room, and this morning he'd been particularly persistent about it.

It's as if he's hiding something, she thought, giggling slightly. The thought that her brother, her sweet, innocent brother, was hiding something was amusing.

On impulse, she reached out, and jiggled the doorknob. Locked. She starred at the door for a moment, expression thoughtful. Snapping her fingers, she ran into her room and came back out with a paper clip. She bent it out of shape and then went to picking the lock. It was easy enough, and she swung open the door. "Now," she said out loud to herself. "Let's see what my brother's so worked up about."

She walked into the room and glanced around. The place was spotless, and everything seemed to be in order. She gave the room a through check over and sighed. The only thing that seemed out of place was Ryou's Egyptian necklace, which was setting on the nightstand. It was glinting as random sunbeams from the window hit it. I wonder why he left that here?

Her brother hardly ever took it off, and him leaving it here was more than a little odd. She picked it up and inspected the gleaming object. She had never really understood why he wore something so flashy. Ryou really wasn't one to care about fashion. That was evident in the ordinary, dull clothes he wore everyday.

She went over to his dresser where the mirror was, and put the necklace on to see what possessed her brother to wear it all the time. I suppose it is kind of nice… She looked down at the large pendent and smiled briefly, and then glanced back up a few moments later.

She gasped and spun around. "Ryou!?" She starred wide-eyed at her brother who was starring right back at her, his gaze dark. Why was he back? It had only been about an hour since he'd left, and he'd told her he would be back for at least three hours! "W-what are you doing back so early?"

He didn't answer her, his dark brown eyes boring into her own brown eyes. "What are you doing in here?" he demanded, ignoring her question.

She starred at him, at a complete loss for words. This wasn't like her brother, not at all. He seemed…darker. His eyes showed none of the usual warmth she saw there, and his voice sounded harsher and deeper.

Swallowing, she gathered her scattered wits. "I wanted to see why you keep me out of here, Ryou. I thought maybe you were hiding something…" She trailed off and sent a quick glance around the room. "But I guess not, huh?"

He stepped closer, and she found herself stepping back. It was something about his eyes…He was putting her edge for some strange reason. "What makes you think Ryou doesn't have anything to hide?" he asked, a dark glint sparked in his eyes as he smirked at her.

"What…?" She continued to stare at him, and she suddenly got a very bad feeling. "You're not Ryou…" she breathed, fear creeping into her eyes.

"Very observant… And you're the pathetic wimp's sister, aren't you? Ashley, isn't it?"

"My brother's not a wimp!" she said sharply, glaring at the stranger before her. He snorted, none convinced. "Now who are you and how did you get in here?"

He laughed at her, and then stepped closer. Ashley was unable to keep the distance between them because of the dresser and she soon found herself trapped when he put his hands on either side of her on the dresser. "So Ryou hasn't told you…" he murmured, leaning forward until his face was mere centimeters from hers.

"Hasn't told me what?" she said, trying to sound braver than she felt. She was trembling slightly, and she had a feeling he knew it.

He leaned forward more, so that his lips brushed her ear as he spoke. "I'm called Bakura, and you'd do well to remember it." He pulled back, grinning devilishly at her. She was trembling visibly now and she looked terrified, but underneath that he could sense her curiosity.

The Egyptian tomb robber stepped back, eyes leisurely sweeping over the girl in front of him. She was shorter than him by two or three inches, and she looked a lot like Ryou, and therefore a lot like himself. She wore dark blue jeans, and a white t-shirt with a picture of a cat on it. There were words underneath the picture, but he couldn't read the language. He smirked; the girl was attractive, that much was certain even if her attire was strange to him.

Ashley shifted, extremely uneasy under his intense scrutiny. She had no idea who he was or what he was capable of, and it scared her. If this is a long lost brother, I don't want him… Gathering her courage, she made herself stand straight and stared him right in the eye. "Bakura, huh? Well, I suggest you leave before I decide to call the cops."

He just laughed at her and casually strode over to the bed where he sprawled out on it. "I would love nothing more than to be able to do that, little one, but there is one slight problem."

She glared at him, mentally growling when he called her `little one'. Bakura went on, totally ignoring her anger. "You see, I'm nothing more than a spirit, and the necklace you wear is my link to this mortal plane of existence. I go wherever the ring goes."

She gaped at him. "Yeah right! And I'm the Queen of England."

He sent her a dark look, clearly disapproving of her lack of faith in the truth of his words. "You are? Who knew the little one was royalty?" he muttered sarcastically.

"Don't call me that!" she snapped, frustration mounting. Bakura only laughed.

"I wonder what Ryou will say when I tell him you were in here…"

Her frustration was forgotten in the wave of panic the swept through her. "You can't!" she cried, jumping forward and gripping his arm.

"Can't I? What could you possibly do to silence me?"

She gripped his arm tighter, eyes pleading. "Please, you can't tell him! Ryou would never forgive me." Bakura ignored her, thoroughly enjoying the panic in her voice. "I-I…." She let go of his arm and starred at the floor, her eyes covered by her bangs. "Please don't tell him…Tell me what I can do to keep you from telling him…"

Bakura smirked at her and sat up. Placing two fingers under her chin, he lifted her gaze to meet his, a dark smile playing across his face. "Do you duel?"

Confusion flashed across her eyes, but she answered. "Yeah…Why?"

He laid back down, arms crossed behind his head and his intense gaze trained on the ceiling. "Tonight, at midnight, we'll find out just how good you are…"

"What?"

He gave her an irritated look. "Just come in here at midnight and take the Millennium Ring. Ryou doesn't wear it at night. Put it on and make sure you bring your deck…You do have a deck, don't you?" When she nodded, he continued, "And don't think about not showing up. If you don't, I'll just have to think up something… interesting to tell you brother." He turned his head to glance at her, a dark, promising look on his face.

She was glaring at him, jaw clenched. She nodded mutely and he went back to starring at the ceiling. Either this is a nightmare, or he's telling me the truth about him being a spirit…but how can that be possible? And why didn't Ryou tell me about this?

"Still here?"

His voice jerked her out of her thoughts, and she met his penetrating gaze. So many things were rushing through her mind as she starred into those intense deep brown eyes. "Midnight?"

"Midnight."

She nodded and turned toward the door.

"Oh, and little one?"

She growled, and turned to face him.

"You might want to leave the necklace here." He pointed to the nightstand as he sat up. "I'll see you later." His form suddenly shifted, and she starred wide-eyed as he disappeared into nothing more than shadows that were soon absorbed by the necklace she was wearing.

She dropped the necklace on the nightstand with little care for its well-being and bolted out the door, careful to lock it before she ran down the hall and took refuge in her own room.

A/N: So... review and tell me what you think... Meanwhile, I'm going to go over to my dark little corner brainstorm some ideas. I really have no clue where this story might go. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to tell me! Until next update....

And YES, there are other chapters written... But like I said before, whether or not I post them depends on people's reactions to this. I usually don't post my work... Heh, too afraid of bad reactions. (Since everyone seems to like my "It All Started Saturday" fic, I decided to try my luck with this... ^-^)