Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Shutter Chance ❯ Interlude I ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Shutter Chance
Author:
Nekocin
Warnings: Major OoC, OCs, I've noticed my description is always -off- or too short. GRR~!
Pairings: here, mild Kaiba+Jounouchi some implies
Additional notes: see previous chapter.
Disclaimer: see previous chapter. Companies that are mentioned here don't belong to me.
Author's notes: See end. Sorry for the long notes.

~ Interlude I: Kaiba ~

The first time I'd met Jounouchi was about exactly 5 years, 3 months, 4 days, 13 hours, 30 minutes and 10 seconds ago; to make it short, 5 years ago. At that time, I was just the secretary of Mutou Yugi, who had been the Picture Director before me. And Jounouchi was Jiku's newest addition to the Studio crew. 

We'd probably met by chance, like the shutter of a camera while a picture's taken.

I remember it was just a brush of shoulders—and our eyes met without acknowledging. I'd been busy with searching my suitcase for the project proposals to Jiku, while Jounouchi was sent out to do some errands on his first day of work. 

It wasn't exactly love at first sight—or whatever it was called. In a matter of fact, our meeting wasn't even related to love at all.

X X 

Jiku (it's his a pseudonym; no one knew his real name—unless one was a professional hacker), one of the most wanted Photographers in the country, was busy on the phone when I'd finally entered his grandiose studio—Walhalla Studio. 
He was chastising the person on the other line very harshly, while twirling his hands around out of habit, and did not grant me -at least- a polite smile or a nod. His eyes just swept over me and then turned away as if not having seen me coming.

I didn't mind—Jiku had always been like that towards everyone, either ignoring or looking down on everyone. He wasn't a pleasant man to work with. Even Mutou, the Picture Director at that time, couldn't say anything on the contrary about Jiku's attitude. But—he had admitted Jiku was -good- at taking pictures. 

I'd no choice but to stand by the sidelines and wait patiently for Jiku to finish up.

"Hey, you! Uhm—,"

I turned my attention to the owner of the voce. I neither recognized the face nor the voice. It was Jiku's newest assistant. He was a head shorter than me, with slightly boyish face; dark brown eyes that hid a lot of suppressed emotions and had dirty-blonde hair, which ends were a bit too long for my liking. 

"Kaiba. Kaiba Seto," I automatically filled in. 

"Kaiba-san. Yeah, hello. Kaiba-san. Jiku will take his sweet time scolding the poor man, so in the mean time, tell me what exactly you're here for and I'll see if I can get him to listen to me,"

I stared at him without showing how surprised I was to have someone of Jiku's staff, who's thoroughly a stranger, speak to me about my business. 

"And you are?" I narrowed my eyes suspiciously at him. If he had been embarrassed about his rudeness, he didn't show it on his perfectly straight face. 

"I'm Jounouchi Katsuya, Jiku's assistant," He said coolly.

"What happened to the previous one?"

"I don't know. Jiku didn't explain when I'd applied for this job," He answered calmly and did not grant me a look into his eyes as he was looking past my shoulders, seemingly lost in his thoughts. 

He had been the very first assistant I'd met who didn't see me as someone important to scrutinize. At that time, I hadn't minded not catching his attention; we weren't acquaintances or friends—merely business partners. 

I nodded and showed him the project proposals. 

At that same time, Jiku ended his call with an angry 'good day' and started making his way towards us, all the while scolding his crew as they scattered away instantly to make way. 

"Aren't you finished with that piece of tapestry yet?" Jiku scolded the nearby staff member who was busy stitching some bright cloth together.

"No sir. I'm sorry, sir,"

"Then get back to work!" 

"Yes, sir!" 

Jiku passed her brusquely.

"How many times do I have to tell you? You need to dampen down that 20 watt light on the right," Jiku seethed as he glared at down at the Lighting Technician suddenly.

"But, sir—it's already been dampened!"

"Then dampen it further!"

"But if I did that, wouldn't the picture look a bit dark?"

"Who's the Photographer here?"

"I-I-I apologize, sir. I didn't mean to be rude," the man bowed low and shouted out the apology with closed eyes. Jiku sniffed disdainfully. 

"You better be. If this happens again, you're fired! Besides, who knows more about Photography other than I?" 

"I'm sorry, sir," The Technician hurried off immediately.

Jiku continued his steps, but stopped yet again. "What the heck is this?" He pointed at a small Greek-styled pillar with a strange vase on top.

Another staff member was caught, "It's the pillar you wanted for the background, sir,"

"I asked no such rubbish. And what the heck are those on top?" He pointed angrily at the pot on top of the pillar.

"Wild plants, sir,"

"Take it away! It's so hideous!"

"But, sir-!"

"Are you refusing me?"

"No sir—I'm sorry," And he carried the pillar out of the studio.

"His girlfriend must have dumped him over the phone," Jounouchi had murmured out of the blue besides me.

Jiku's glare was immediately on us. "What did you say, Jounouchi?"

"Nothing sir. I said nothing," came Jounouchi's indifferent reply. He stiffened besides me as Jiku finally came within a few feet in front of us. 

"I'm very sure I've seen your lips moving, Jounouchi. So pray tell, what were you saying to Kaiba here?" Jiku spoke up in silent demand.

"Nothing of any importance sir. Just asking if he has a girlfriend," Jounouchi said shamelessly without batting an eyelash for lying to his boss. 

Jiku raised a surprised eyebrow at me, "Is that so?"

Both of them were looking expectantly at me; one was looking desperate because of the fact that his little lie would be discovered once I answered, while the other one was looking interested because I was known for being an elusive bachelor in the Photography world—wherever the heck they got the idea.

"Yes," I answered promptly. I decided to lie for Jounouchi's sake just because he was new in the crew. Losing one's job instantly on the first day really sucked. Unlike Jounouchi, Jiku didn't look surprised when I'd answered. He looked—calm. A bit too calm.

"That's very nosy of you, Jounouchi. But I admit I'm interested whether Kaiba has a girlfriend or not," 

"I don't have one," 

Jiku's calm face turned curious all of the sudden. "That's a pity. All the women like you. You have everything a woman's heart desires. Why the hesitation?"
His sharp eyes pinned me mercilessly. 

Usually, Jiku didn't ask any personal question to those who worked with him--it wasn't because 'it was none of his business', rather because 'he didn't think it's worth his time to even prod into personal matters'. So I was quite surprised to hear those words coming from his mouth. What exactly was the purpose of asking me that?

"I don't have time to get one myself," I answered truthfully. 

He nodded in satisfaction—a bit relieved perhaps, and then opened his palm in front of my face. 

"I believe you have something I want," He said calmly, meaning to say that I had to forget whatever was said a few minutes ago.
I handed over the project proposals.

"Avon wants Vivian, the new IDOL singer queen, on the body lotion advertisement boards. Midori Magazines want Kazaha, the new model from CoCo Agency, on their front page for next week's newest magazine edition. And Mutou-san requests some snapshots of Aoyama, the potential newcomer of this week," I summarized the proposals carefully. He looked through the proposals disinterestedly and then huffed with his eyes closed. 

"Fine. I'll read them tonight. Tell the models to come Wednesday. At 9 o'clock sharp. I dislike latecomers," He threw a look (between dirty and irritated) at Jounouchi's direction, purposefully accusing him for the statement.

I looked at Jounouchi from the corners of my eyes for a reaction. 
None came.
His face was carefully impassive.

"Jounouchi, I'm very disappointed in you," Jiku continued.
Jounouchi's shoulders sagged slightly in silent defeat.

"You're supposed to be tending the backdrops and tell the guy who brought the hideous pillar to find a more stylish one. But since today's you first day I'll ignore your mistakes. Next time I won't forgive your tardiness, understand?"

Jiku looked down on him.

"Understood," was the subdued reply.

~ X ~

"You didn't have to lie for me back there, you know," Jounouchi murmured as he passed me a cup of tea during the 15 minute break. 

("Thank you") I cradled the cup between my hands while looking at the murky liquid. "It's a pity when you lose your job in one day, Jounouchi-san," I told him coolly and took a sip from my cup. 

"So? What is it to you?"

"Don't you think it's going to be hard to find another job at this rate? And with your attitude?"

"I don't like working under someone, so it doesn't matter to me," Jounouchi shrugged nonchalantly. 

"Oh? Then why are you working under someone now?" I slid a side-glance to his face, feeling the faint egoistic streak in me. 

"None of your business," was the last thing he said before joining the crew to pass the drinks.

X X

At that time, I'd dismissed Jounouchi's behaviour as one of those nonchalant attitudes some egoistic rookies like to put up, and didn't expect that much from him. So it had been easier to just ignore the carelessness in his words and forget Jounouchi had ever worked for Jiku.

If I'd known our being lightly acquainted would run deeper than expected then, I would probably have cut all ties with him, brutally or not. I wasn't really, what people call, open-minded when it came to certain 'attractions'—especially attractions to the same gender...

Fortunately, (or unfortunately—depends on how you prefer to see it) I didn't have the ability to see the future. Even so, it's already too late to cut ties with him. My fondness for him had altered to a certain extent, that it seemed impossible to leave town—to be away from him.

X X

The next day Jiku had taken a day off, but hadn't dismissed the crew to take one as well. They all had to prepare supplies like newer backgrounds, lights, films, EVERYTHING! 

I was present there for I needed Jiku's approval of the project proposals. But seeing as Jiku hadn't come I took my time watching the staff member scurry around to get everything done. 

And I didn't regret having spilled some time to be in Walhalla Studio because it's by then I got to see another side of the crew. They loosened up; their postures weren't so stiff as before; everyone was -smiling- and their works were done without any disgusted faces. 

Other than that, I learned that Jiku's crewmembers were born-gossipers, especially the women...

"Have you heard about the latest news?" 

I believe, the one, who started the gossip, was the Jiku's hair stylist. I personally didn't know much of her, except for the fact that she liked watching me.

"About the upcoming World War III? No, what have you heard?" 

The second one who continued was the Head Costume Designer—I think.

"Jiku has been dumped!" The Hair Stylist announced dramatically to the other women, with mischievous eyes.

"Ooh, by who?" the other 5 women wondered.

"By Rebecca!" was the triumphant answer.

"By her?!! The Special Effects Director of Mutou-sama's company?" the others reacted in shock.

"Yes, yes. By her!" Enthusiastic as ever.

"Who told you that?" one of the women, I believe she would be one of the Costume Designers, asked skeptically.

"Jounouchi-san told me!"

"And you believed him?"

"Of course!"

"Is there any proof that Jiku has been together with Rebecca?"

"Yes, there is! You all know I live near Rebecca's apartment, right?" She must be Make Up Stylist's Assistant. 

"Un," The women nodded in unison.

"Well—, once I'd caught them groping each other in the elevator!" The Make Up Stylist's Assistant pointed out, wickedly grinning and started explaining in what kind of position she'd found Jiku and Rebecca. (Which will be censored for the time being were my initial thoughts)

"What? You've got to be kidding me!" One of the Costume Designers commented; she was clearly not prepared for the mental image the Assistant was giving her, seeing as her cheeks were brighter than ever.

"Hmhmhmhm. No, I'm not. I really did catch them doing that," The Make Up Assistant smirked.

"What did you do?" the others spoke up in unison. 

"Nothing out of the ordinary. I think they weren't even aware I was gaping," the Assistant exaggerated.

"More like gawking as if your eyes were about to pop out," One of them, perhaps that's—uh—I forgot what her work had been, stated bluntly. The Make Up Assistant pouted.

"Well, that must have been something very traumatizing," the Hair Stylist commented. 

"But I heard they were half siblings!" From this point I already forgot who was actually talking and spreading the gossip—everyone was talking at the same time.

"Oh my god, half siblings?!"

"What happened?"

"That's really—sick,"

"No, it's not true. I heard their fathers were half-siblings,"

"Don't be such a fiend. That's not what I've found out when I dug out their files-"

Jounouchi suddenly appeared out of the blue with crossed his arms over his chest and looked disapprovingly at the ladies. 
"Now, now, ladies, there's no time to be gossiping here. Lots of work need to be done,"

They pouted in response. 

"Jiku isn't around today, so why are you being such a slave driver?" The Make Up Assistant whined.

"I have to. It's my job to keep everything in check," Jounouchi answered incredulously as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. 

"But can't we do them tomorrow?" the Hair Stylist imitated the Make up Assistant's whine.

"And face Jiku's wrath at the same time? No way!" 

Suddenly all of the ladies ganged up against him and had him cornered. Jounouchi visibly gulped at whatever looks the ladies were having while they advanced to him. 

"I know what you're trying to do, Jounouchi-san~," the Head Costume Designer purred as a teasing finger was trailed lightly across his face.
"You’re trying to take up the role of a professional Photographer"

Jounouchi chuckled, "Don't be silly. What makes you say that?"

There was a thoughtful silence—

-until the Hair Stylist pointed out, "I saw you re-setting the lighting's brightness both yesterday and today,"

"That doesn't make me a Photographer, does it?" Jounouchi countered.

"No, that's right. But you were messing with the backgrounds too, when Kazu wasn't looking. I saw you!" the Hair Stylist cut in.

"That also doesn't make me one," was the calm answer.

"I thought it was rather strange when you'd persuaded Jiku to use the pillar at last.  Now I know why you did it," The Head Costume Designer commented.

"You're all out of your mind. Don't you know that it's my work to get everything done of Jiku's liking? That's an Assistant's job, right?" Jounouchi huffed.

"Don't deny it, Katsuya-chan. One-san here knows that you're aiming to be one. I mean, are Assistants allowed to touch Jiku's favoured camera and clean them?" the Make Up Assistant joined in an all-knowing tone. 

A collective ‘Noooo’ came from the rest of the women in unison. 

"Don't you know that the most important thing in a Photographer's career is the camera? Or have you forgotten how Jiku reacted when his prized Leeca was touched yesterday?" the Make Up Assistant continued mischievously...

Jounouchi opened his mouth to protest but no words came out. He seemed to be having a conflict with himself as the ladies loomed over him. Finally, his shoulders sagged and he hung his head in defeat. 

"You ladies aren't going to let me off that easily, are you?" He smiled ruefully. The women of Jiku's crew smirked at the same time and leered at Jounouchi as if a cat had found a new toy to amuse itself with.

"Poor Jounouchi-san," someone beside me remarked. 

I turned my attention to him out of curiosity. It was the same Technician Jiku had chastised the day before. 

"The girls know when there's something fishy—they can probably smell it. I'm sure he wouldn't even notice what he'd got himself into," the Technician commented.

I suppose he was talking to me. There was no one within earshot besides me. I did not partake in his comments though, merely waiting for him to continue his point. I'd half expected him to suddenly declare he was in love with one of the gossipers...

"Jounouchi-san is a good lad, even if he gets a bit nosy when seeing something out of place. Sadly, I've a feeling he'll leave after this week just like all the other assistants," he continued after an absent sigh and a rake through his hair. 

"Doesn't he remind you of someone, Kaiba-san?" His eyes were twinkling excitedly as soon as he had his attention fixed on me. 

I shook my head. Negative. His cynical smile widened and he leaned dramatically closer to me as if wanting to share something secretive.

"He reminds me of-," he paused dramatically in his whispering and looked around to see if anyone was eavesdropping. "-He reminds me of you,"

I could only raise my eyebrows at him in question. Hah?
But he never did answer my silent question. He'd scurried off with an excuse that he had some more things to do.

~ X ~

Mutou had chuckled, when he'd heard about my day at Jiku's Studio complete with my cynical meeting with that Technician—I couldn't believe he'd actually drilled that one thing out of my lips. The Picture Director was not someone who prodded into others' matters—he was strictly interested in business to a certain extent. 

When I'd commented on his unusual behaviour, he just gave me a sad smile and looked cryptically at me. At first, I thought he was just having those rare moments when he would suddenly feel like asking about my exact whereabouts—but I had my suspicions; something was definitely not right. And that something—I'd later found out—had something to do with the position of Picture Director. 

I hadn't paid much attention to what the Technician had said after that, for I was trying to get Mutou to tell me what was actually to come of his position as the current Picture Director for two days. (I regretted not having looked into the Technician's words later on though...) 

I wasn't having any luck though. Mutou's lips were as sealed as a giant lock, and his face got more crestfallen by the day. I'd asked my colleagues if they had any clues of why Mutou was acting so strange. Most of them had the luck to have -at least- a civilized conversation about things outside work with Mutou, unlike I, who kept business matters away from personal ones. 

Unfortunately, no one knew what's going on, except—perhaps Morimoto-sempai, who had been with the Company far longer than I (—one still wondered why he hadn't been promoted yet). And it didn't seem like he would tell any of us about what's on Mutou's mind. 

On the third day after Mutou's change of behaviour had begun, everything broke loose. Mutou announced he would have to leave his post after a week and make the Director chair vacant. (Though, who the upcoming Picture Director might, was not yet known)

Besides the news of a change in the Head, the third day on which Mutou had finally confessed, was also the day when that fight occurred: The fight which decided Jounouchi's fate as upcoming professional Photographer and Jiku's favorite verbal, torture victim in the Photography world. Not only did it decide Jounouchi's fate, but it decided mine as well. 

We became close -acquaintances- ever since.

~ X ~

~ X ~ Kin'youbi - Friday ~ X ~ 10:01 AM

Mutou asked everyone to gather in the meeting room for an announcement he had to make.

– END INTERLUDE I: KAIBA – 

TheNekoTalks:

Interludes can be short chapters too, right? Right? The original setting had been a short flashback. But I lengthen it to make this 'chapter' at least a bit more satisfactory especially when I seem to be spoiling you guys with long chapters that I'm not used to typing. Though I do enjoy reading long chapters—
:3 Oh well, I hope you're still enjoying your rides.

I like to thank those who'd reviewed the previous chapter:

- Kumori Sakusha formerly Saelbu (:blush blush: Waa~ I'm glad you like-slash-love it at least. I felt lazy after the first chapter, but then again, I felt I needed to continue the next chapter. I hope to continue this story quickly. Thank you for reading and reviewing this story)

- Minky (Wa~~! You've read it too! Yes, yes, that's the story. I'm also a bit manga-crazed, but since I don't have Internet at home—I cannot download more, meaning I don't really know how those two's relationship worked out. :sniffles: Have you noticed some differences between this story and the manga? Thank you for reading and reviewing this story)

- SeventhDaughter (:smiles: Thanks. I thought I rushed into the story a bit at first but then I just changed a few things to make the chapters of my liking. Yes, yes, mature Kaiba does somehow fit—in this story. It's interesting to explore such a character, won't you say so yourself? The characters? Waa~! I'm just worrying about Kaiba's character and also Anzu's character! Jounouchi's character is the easiest. Thank you for reading and reviewing this story)

- Blitz Magnus (:smiles: Thank you. Jou's personality is the easiest to adapt, unlike Kaiba's, who turned into someone—different. Oh! The horrors of OoC-ness in my story :cries:! Ah, yes, their relationship—you're right about that, makes it a bit parallel to the original bond in the series, although one is a bit more mature and the other a bit more childish, right? :heart heart: Subtle actions are always cute! Thank you for reading and reviewing this story)

- FireieGurl (Uhmm—thanks. I know he's so out of character, that's why I've emphasized my warnings. But I'm glad you think this story is at least all right. Thank you for reading and reviewing this story)

- Crosshunt-c (:smiles: I'm glad you love that chapter even if it's not really that original. The ending part was too corny don't you think so too? Bleh! 
But thank you for reading and reviewing this story)

- Lil-riter
(In other words, I won't deny that Kaiba in this fiction is NOT In Character. I'm not sure writing which character's-centric stories I like, but I think I write where I'm comfortable. Yes, it's a fact that it's very hard to write his character—and sometimes some of the written characterization for Kaiba all look perfectly in character, which somehow make all clichés pop out like mushrooms. So you can understand that I got a bit fed up with the same things and just did the OoC-ness. The only story I can remember of that has a nicely written Kaiba is "Hollow gifts"—or maybe there are more which I haven't found yet. Ooh, yeah! Malik's cool and cute. He's so adorably written in Spyder Webb's stories. I think Bakura's very amusing. LOL. I love how he's laughing wickedly; it always cracked me up when I watched him laughing—in Matsumoto Rica's voice, mind you. And he's so cute too. <333 Ah, yes. That stuff isn’t really part of my ideas T.T, but I like subtle actions! And you're right about the slowly admitting liking part. That will make the story at least a bit interesting to write. I'm glad you still like-slash-love this. <3333 Thank you for reading and reviewing this story)

- PanDora (:smiles back in return: Thanks. That's true; I think it's kind of interesting to have that relationship or friendship as a starting point in a story. :blush: I just love writing Aus—though I admit that this idea isn't really that original. But thank you for reading and reviewing this story)

- mandapandabug (:blinks: I didn't know that other people read the answers to other people's reviews too. You're so thorough. :3 Ah, yes, that's because I have a feeling some will like a story and some will love a story, if not, they dislike or hate—uhm, am I making sense? :3 I'm glad you -love- this story. I really do think the story need to go under a lot of revisions. I've noticed yet again, a lot of errors in my work. :sighs:
Thanks. Writing Kaiba like that is kind of freaky for anyone who's used to his usually cold or indifferent affront. :cries: Even though Jou's my favorite character, it really hurts me to read how many times Jou's being hurt in stories :cries: not that said stories are bad, I'm just—:cries: I just dislike hurting characters I like. 
:3 I'm glad you'd caught that little thing, photography isn't -the only thing- he's good at. Actually, I'm not even sure if his name is really spelled that way, since I'd watched the subtitles—
:blush: Wa~, you're making me blush. I hope at least the story won't rush along too quickly.
I hope at least some of your questions will be answered soon. Thank you for reading and reviewing this story)

Thank you for reading!!! Re-reading all my stories of back then— I've to admit that I'm truly a bad writer when it comes to writing. 

:smiley face:cin