Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Shutter Chance ❯ Chance 3 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Shutter Chance
Author:
Nekocin
Warnings: (Confusing chapter?) Major OoC, Original Character (they don't play such a big role though), bad words
Pairings: Mild Kaiba+Jounouchi, Mild Jounouchi+Original Character (not much)
Additional notes: slight hetero, slight shounen ai.
Author's notes: See end


~The photographs that Jounouchi Katsuya takes are far too influenced by foreign photographers, which makes them not even the slightest original at all. They are all poorly taken and serve nothing but to lower the standard of Modern Photography...~

~Chance 3: Jounouchi Side~

~ X ~ (A Week Before) Mokuyoubi - Thursday ~ X ~ 

20:59 PM

Both Rain (a model) and I went to a bar called Bastille in the center of the city after refreshing ourselves at the Swimming Club which was built besides my studio. 
The bar didn't look so bad on the outside—the inside, however, was ten times better. 

The whole interior gave off a soft, romantic feel—the dim red and orange lights made me think of seclusion and private—most of the barstools round the bartender's counter were clearly newly-bought compared to the rest of the furniture besides the large love seat. And yet despite its nice, warm and heart-pounding interior the locals didn't seem to be interested in this bar, seeing as there weren't many costumers around. 

I felt bad for not visiting this bar earlier when Kaiba let me pick out a place where we could celebrate my first success as a full-time Photographer. It was—

Rain gently grabbed my wrist, shaking me out of my thoughts and tugged me to the love seat. 

"Need a drink?" I asked her smoothly and stared right into her eyes. Women seem to like being stared at, especially as straightforward I was doing. Hmmm—Anzu once told me they liked being stared at because the guy doing such a thing was me. I didn't know whether it's a compliment or an insult so I didn't dwell on it much.

She blushed, dodged my eyes before mine could hold hers in place--and then she smirks lazily my way. Rain lowered her eyes and seemed to be staring at me from under her long dark eyelashes.

"A lemon mix of Martini and Bacardi, please,"

Her voice made me shiver in anticipation—such a beautiful husky voice. Beautiful—husky? I shivered again. Not because of her words but because I was vaguely remembering a very nice (husky) voice, whose owner's face I'd forgotten, speaking to me when I got drunk after being fired.

"Okay, I'll have what you have. Be right back," I went to order our drinks from the lonesome bartender. As he mixed our drinks with efficient shaking, I struck a casual conversation with the bartender--asking how long 'Bastille' existed ("Exactly 12 years" That's very shocking!) and if there were any amusing costumer's stories ("In a matter of fact, yes. I lost count after the 10th story was told at the beginning of Bastille's existence" Whoa! I bet they were juicy. Wanna hear some next time! Hehehe) 

The bartender was quite a nice guy. He even asked me how I was fairing in his most polite voice. Strangers don't usually ask each other such questions after a casual topic (like embarrassing costumers' stories) being discussed—unless they have ulterior motives, which didn't seem to be in Bastille's bartender's case.

"I'm doing okay. Who wouldn't be when one is on a date with such a beautiful lady like her?" I flicked my thumb to Rain ever so casually.

The bartender smiled politely and poured the mixed drink in two champagne glasses. "Yes, I understand,"

("Thanks,") I quirked my eyebrows in question at him. "Excuse me?"

The bartender waved his right hand dismissively; excused himself to help another costumer. Shrugging, I took the glasses and went to plop down next to Rain.

"What were you and Frances talking about these?" She peered curiously at me after carefully sipping her drink.

"Frances? Oh, him! Nothing much. Just about his bar and his usual days," I shrugged nonchalantly.

"Really? You don't seem to be the type to talk about casual stuff with strangers,"

"Looks can be deceiving," I grinned as I faintly thought of Kaiba—Yeah, looks can be deceiving. Everyone knows how he looks like—a pretty face that could've been carved out of cherry wood for he seldom let his feelings show, but just a handful of people know what's spooking inside that pretty head of his.

"Once I stepped inside I get the feeling this will get interesting," I turned the topic to lightly imply our date, smirking and invading her personal space. Time for a game.

Rain chuckled and shifted boldly closer in my direction and swiftly downed her glass before her lips could go teasingly for my ear. 

"We're merely acquainted—so give me one good reason why you, the great photographer Jounouchi Katsuya—are crossing the line between work and your private life? I heard you hold a lot of value to that thin line between both," she inquired curiously and slid back to lean on the couch's backrest. 

"Because you're the most beautiful date I've ever met, isn't that enough? The most beautiful model I'd ever captured on film," I smirked playfully at her and she responded with—what most critics would've complimented—a twinkling laugh. Too bad they were wrong. 

Her eyes crinkled up to quarter circles, her cheeks would puff up slightly as her smile stretched out, and a strange hollow-sounding rumble escaped her lips as if something lighthearted was being shared between two lovers who hadn't seen each other after their break up. 

-that's not quite the right image I was aiming for. Oh well, whatever, it seemed close to my description. For a moment she smiled sadly at me--or more like, she smiled through me.

"You're such a smooth talker, Jounouchi—just like -him-,"

I turned my attention elsewhere, absently sipping my drink and found myself disliking the alcohol mixture. 

A distinct conversation suddenly piqued my interest. 

"I can't believe that bastard has slipped through the meeting without a scathe. Where the fuck did he find enough time to develop those pictures?! Hmph. Figures. It makes me so mad to admit that with his wealth he could do anything," the voice reminded me of someone I'd once met at Kaiba's work—I took a peak over my shoulder at the conversationalists standing near the love seat. 

Just as I thought. They worked under Kaiba—

Those geezers are talking about Kaiba—

"Don't worry too much about it, Morimoto-sempai. We still have the numbers of those company directors which Kaiba failed to get his hands on. That Shizuka-secretary—even if she's cute and impeccable when doing her work--didn't even catch me stealing that note,"

"Humm—we can always sell out information, you know? And he wouldn't even know what hit him,"

They were definitely talking about Kaiba—Rain touched my cheek gently and turned my face to look at her.

"You're frowning," she simply commented and smoothed my forehead with her fingertips. "This is getting way too depressing. I'm sorry for ruining our first date. I guess I couldn't cheer you up after what that Magazine critic had said about your pictures. And I guess I'm not up to your standards, Jounouchi-,"

I shook my head quickly. "It doesn't matter. Besides, haven't you noticed the atmosphere this bar is giving off? It's as if someone had died in here," That came out quite wrong—I mean, the bar was perfect. Elegant. Romantic. But dammit, it felt so nostalgic.

I downed my glass in one gulp, only to choke, cough and sputter it out.

Melancholy was probably the best word to describe bar Bastille at the moment.

Rain chuckled and patted my back, murmuring nonsensical words in a -dare I say- motherly voice and then her knee touched mine shyly. 

—I want to be with you—

The only thing I could do after her confession was waving over another drink and waste myself. Having such a beautiful lady confess to me is actually a dream come true and yet for some reason I felt as if I was betraying someone. 


~ X ~ (A week before) Kin'youbi - Friday ~ X ~ 

The next morning, I woke up with a killer headache in Kaiba's guestroom.

Ah, screw it! How the hell did I end up there?!

X

After the killer headache I realized I should confront Jiku one of these days. I should stand up for myself. So I made an appointment with Jiku for an interview and let Anzu call one of the TV stations that sent out shows regarding news about the Art world—including Photography. 

As usual Jiku was flanking his words like the bastard he was.

"An interview, eh?" I could almost see him looking bored at his manicured nails, if not nonchalantly.

"Yes," I muttered subdued. 

"With me?" Another nonchalant and stupid question. My eyes twitched. He did that on purpose.

"Yes," I hope the irritation couldn't be detected through the telephone horn.

"I'll be thinking about it," He'd answered uninterested. Bastard. 

"Take your time, Jiku. Take your time—scared that I'm going to outrank your ass?" That last part wasn't supposed to be said out loud! Dammit! 

"Hmph. An interview sounds wonderful. How about a magazine dialogue session the next day? Then I'll see you in Candid Lenses next week, Jounouchi," And he abruptly hung up on me. Hmph. I flicked a rude finger at the horn. 
Not that the bastard could see it. It's more like a relieving exercise. And boy it felt good. Perhaps not as good when I would flick such a finger at his face. Hahaha-

Wait a minute! Did it mean he'd just accepted my challenge? A magazine dialogue session? On Candid Lenses? Shit! Aw man, now I have to act all stiff in front of everyone. 

I guess it didn't matter either, like it didn't matter when I'd found myself at Kaiba's house that morning. Besides I need to confront him sooner or later.


~ X ~ Mokuyoubi - Thursday ~ X ~ 

11:15 AM

"Okay, everyone. Let's take a break!" I called out at last. After 6 hours of non-stop working—taking pictures of a total 4 models, I'd finally called for a break.
The crew, even Anzu-chan and the current model, let out a huge sigh of relief. 
I, however, didn't. 

Something was bothering me the whole morning and for some reason I'd decided to take all my frustration out on my crew by making them work harder than they were supposed to. I guess the reason was probably because it had something to do with my pictures...

Damn Jiku! Damn him! As if he knows what's best! As if he knew what's 'photography'! Damn him!

I looked forlornly at poor Panda-baby, who's currently confined within a specially made glassed box until the lens was replaced. 

Poor Panda. 

I slowly found my eyes straying towards the corner where Kaiba usually stood when he lurked around in my studio, and unconsciously sighed. He's not present.

Anzu suddenly popped in front of me and handed over my favorite drink—ice lemon tea!

"Here. This should cool you down," she teased with her eyes twinkling in relief once I'd gradually accepted the cool drink.

"Thanks," I mumbled and downed the content, unintentionally listening to the nearest talk between one of Anzu's assistants with the Electrician.

"I heard that Kaiba's now having problems with other companies, too many mistakes or something along those lines—There's this rumor that perhaps other companies are sabotaging him and then there's this other rumor that his project proposals were leaked to another company...," the gossiper, -what's the guy name again-, he's probably Anzu's assistant- pointed out. 

I whirled around without much thought and interrupted their conversation by intruding. Curiously, I asked them if it's true. If the rumors about Kaiba were true. And oh gawd please don't say they're true-

"A-ah, it seems so," Anzu's assistant looked at the Electrician for confirmation.

"Yeah, everyone is talking about it,"

So the rumors are true. 

"But it serves him though, don't you think?" Twitch. How dare he smiled! "He's too good at his job," Twitch. "He's rich and handsome too. All the girls make a fuss over him. It's like 'Man, don't get too full of yourself," Twitch. Twitch. How dare he-! "Yeah, and he comes on too good too. That's never a good thing," Twitch. Twitch. Twitch.

Before I even knew I was doing, I growled and pointed an impolite finger at both of them in warning. How dare they! "Don't—Don't talk about him like that!" How dare they gossip behind Kaiba's back when Kaiba's one of my loyal customers! "Kaiba isn't someone who would get too full of himself!" 

Both of them stared at me as if I was some kind of alien and then their statements hit me. "What the-? Jounouchi-san, I thought you don't get along with Kaiba-san," "Yeah, you're the one who's always complaining about him in the first place,"
For some strange reasons their statements hurt—as if I had no right to even counter it. No right to say otherwise. The reason why I always curse at him is fare different from what everyone must have had in mind. 

Kaiba himself must have found the answer already—or else why would he keep coming back only to become the receiving end of my—inappropriate insults. He's a genius; he should have an idea-

"Sh-shut up! Tha-that's different!" I shot both of them one of my infamous glares and clenched my hands into fists. "It's okay for me to do it! Besides it's not like we get along!" 
In my carelessness I'd probably spoken either one of the dumbest or most intelligent counterattacks I could think of. However, either way I believed they'd gotten my message for they were looking both afraid and disbelievingly at me. 
Serve them right for testing my patience! No one and I mean no one gets the right to talk about Kaiba like I am. It was an unspoken-

Anzu suddenly interrupted the tense atmosphere I was trying to create upon my subordinates with her snickering—I turned round to glare at her shaking back.

-oath.

"What's so funny, Anzu?! What are you laughing at?!"

She made an attempt to cease her snickering, but failed miserably by bursting out into fits of laughter. 

"That's just like how the little kids tease the person they like," Anzu deliberately wiped the corners of her eyes and grinned at me.

For a moment I couldn’t quite grasp what she was trying to tell me. I just stared at her, until the implication finally dawned upon me. My cheeks heated up. 

"Anzu~~! Stop talking nonsense and help me out here! You're supposed to back me up!" I shook my fist at her, baring my teeth in a poor attempt to look vicious. 

Anzu' was still laughing—

"Sorry, Katsuya, but no one is as desperate as you to irritate Kaiba-san every single day and then announce you're the only one allowed to say such a thing. That's so—how should I say this?—no, not cute—just—that's so -you-," Anzu laughed, squeezing her plate in her arms. 

I glared at her. "Shut up, Anzu. Go make yourself useful or something!" 

She nodded obediently and continued her snickering as she made her way to the Studio's kitchen. I watched her go and then return to the two gossipers. They visibly flinched. 

"Now tell me what else have you guys hears?" I sneered to make myself look more sinister.


~ X ~ Kin'youbi - Friday ~ X ~ 

20:05 PM

I'd dismissed my staff earlier than usual and prepared myself for my upcoming interview (opening speeches, information folders about photography and the likes), a direct confrontation with Jiku—the bastard. Having too many people around me while I should prepare a speech was already making me nervous. Stupid! Stupid! How troublesome.

I even went through the trouble finding a decent khaki-colored vest and a white long-sleeved flannelled shirt for my dressing suit. Oh. What the heck. I didn't look half bad in them either--if I do say so myself. 
Oh stuff it, Anzu was the actually one who'd said I would look so gorgeous that those who will be reading 'Candid Lenses' want to eat me (Twitch. Twitch). Ch' I know I look good, but not good enough to use such -vulgar- implications.

I went to complete the loose ends on Kaiba's project—which could be done in one jiffy if one isn't interrupted—and was done before the clock had struck 8 o' clock in the evening. I felt so proud of myself! Hm-hm-hm. 

Looking over at the alarm clock on my desk, I smiled--there was still about two hours to spare before I went home, so I called Kaiba over. Sadly, he wasn't available at the moment since he was holding a meeting with some Big Money guy. Instead, I got this sweet-sounding secretary, Shizuka something, on the line. I left a message, saying that her boss should come over to my studio within a half hour or else—

Heh. I'd left the threat open though. 

X

18:35 PM

The door to my studio office opened and Kaiba stepped in, a faint and tired (but polite) quirk tugged on his lips.

"Good evening, I heard you called for me," He slid off his white coat and placed it folded on a nearby stray chair. 

For a moment I felt my insides getting warm. Probably because of the fact that I'd missed Kaiba. He hasn't been visiting my studio on regular bases lately. I assume he's very busy. Even if he weren't, he would just come by, comment about which pictures he liked and then leave abruptly.

Usually he would tease me about my mangy-looks or rile me up through bribery (think about how he bribed me into meeting him for my Ishizu-chan-discussion) just his way of amusing himself. The snob! It's his fault I feel as if I'd lost something very important when he wasn't around.

"Hey! Yes, I did. I got the photos for 'Fancy' done," I held up a hand in greeting. Pushing my chair back a bit, I pulled out 2nd desk drawer on my right and took out a large crème folder. It's the folder where I usually kept most of my completed projects until Kaiba or any other Picture Director came over so they won't mingle with all my messed-up bills and papers. 

"I've been a bit busy lately. Sorry for finishing these pictures so late," For the first time that night I sighed out in relief and tiredness before handing over the folder. "The presentation will be tomorrow, right? Will you be able to get everything ready in time?"

(THE presentation! I could almost feel my heart thumping in my throat. Ack! Ack! Ack! Ishizu-chan~~!! My heart will forever pound for you!)

"Yes. Everything is done actually. We just need your pictures," Kaiba's shoulders drooped a bit as he took the folder. As he opened the folder to look through the pictures, I leaned on cheek on the back of my palm, studying him.

His complexion looked paler than before. Those bags under his eyes really emphasized all the weariness shown on Kaiba's posture. Could he not find peace in his sleep?

Damn! I wonder. 

"You must be tired," I commented lightly. "I heard it's been quite difficult for you, lately," 

Kaiba smirked almost too nonchalantly for his own good. "Serves me, right huh?" 

That sounded weird. Maybe it was best I ignored it.

"Well anyway, what do you think? Think they're all right? It would be even better if Ishizu-chan is the model,"

Kaiba continued to shuffle through the pictures, carefully studying each and every one of them and then put them back into the folder without much of a comment about which he liked and which he disliked.

He looked unreadable at me sitting on my desk and fingered with the manila flap. "Jounouchi—I need a favor," He hesitated and held the folder in front of his face, "I want you to re-take the photos." 

What the fuck? 

"What the-? Kaiba, you don't like my photos then ask someone else! You're pissing me off—Go home!" I gritted out before I knew I was speaking out loud. How—how could he just say that? How could he be so—so—argh! I thought he was my friend. I thought—I didn't know what I'd thought. That hurt. 

"It's not that! It's just that—the project proposal was leaked out to another company," He dropped the folder on the desk and started raking his fingers through his hair in frustration. "Yesterday, a company made exactly the same presentation. The copies, the images—they're all exactly the same." 

Then I realized I'd heard some thing or another the other night. Could it be that—that conversation was really—?

I thought—I thought—

"Was it leaked out to T. Company?" Me and my big mouth.

"How did you know?" I hate it when he used that strangely sounding helpless voice. I really hated it whenever he's not acting like himself.

"I heard some employers from your company talking about your project proposal at the bar the other night and-," 

As if possessed, Kaiba suddenly grabbed my arms and started shaking me senseless. "WHAT?! Why didn't you tell me earlier?!"

"—I didn't think they would really do something like thatso-," I defended. OW~! His grip tightened. 

"WHO WERE THEY?!" Kaiba's steel blue eyes were practically spouting fire already. 

"How would I know?! Now LET GO!" I screamed in his face. I tried pulling my abused arms away from his iron grip but the bastard didn't want any of it. Planting my hands firmly on the front of his suit, I roughly pushed him away before he could lay a finger on my hair. With an easily pissed off temperament as mine he shouldn't expect me to be silent about this assault. 

Did he want to die an early death?! 

"Shouldn't it be your fault if your co-workers do something like that to you?!" 

"How is it my fault?! Because I got promoted before them?!" He retorted sarcastically and yet-

There's something about those eyes—and before I knew it, I had already calmed down.

"Dammit!" He cursed softly as he quickly turned around. 

His once proud shoulders were shaking even his back was shaking. If this were one of Kaiba's other sides, I decided I disliked this one the most. It was so wrong to see him frustrated. It was just wrong.

"The presentation starts at 2 PM tomorrow. I have to come up with a completely different thing by then—" He'd spoken up with a tired voice as if completely drained. "Jounouchi, please—I—,"

"It's not possible!," I interrupted. He stared up in mild surprise.

"I have a magazine interview tomorrow morning and it's a dialogue session with Jiku-," I elaborated. "I don't want to do it—but I don't want him to continue defaming me either. If I avoid him any more I'll be crushed the next time he strikes. Please understand, Kaiba,"

I turned away. 

"—I understand. Sorry for bothering you about this," His footsteps slowly fade away until he was out of my office and closed the door.

I'd never felt so horrible in my life as that moment.


~ X ~ Doyoubi - Saturday ~ X ~

It's been about 12 hours after he'd left my studio, (perhaps) with an impassive face. I couldn't sleep peacefully the night before. 

I knew he was under pressure. I knew it. It had been that stormy look in his intense steel blue eyes when he begged me that continued to hauntingly re-play in my mind's eye. It made me think things over again. 

Something heavy suddenly dropped on top of me, forcing me to hunch due to its incredible weight. Somehow I felt as if I'd been too harsh on him—as if I'm the culprit. At some time I understood his trapped position--I've understood indeed. But-

"Jounouchi-sama?" Someone knocked on my office door and appeared cautiously his peered inside as I whirled my chair around. He's one of my newest employee, going by the name of Bakura Ryou. I forgot what he was supposed to do again—

"Your interview will begin within ten minutes. Aren't you going?" He wondered worriedly, his curious brown eyes staring at me and then he hastily dropped them in embarrassment. 

I smiled faintly and nodded before standing up stiffly from the chair. Raking my fingers one last time and straightening my vest, I inspected myself nonchalantly. "How do I look?"

He didn't move a muscle—as if frozen—until he blinked at me and then blushed lightly. "P-pretty, s-sir," A hand instantly went over his mouth as if those words weren't meant to come out. 

His eyes had widened in shock. "I-I-I m-mean—it-it's not like that—I mean—,"

I chuckled lightly and shrugged nonchalantly. Taking in one deep breath, I'd decided I had to do this. I had to or else this horrible feeling won't disappear. "Bakura, tell Anzu-chan to prepare the files 243 to 245. She'll know what to do with the pictures,"

"Hai!" He nodded quickly and bolted out of my office.

It's time for the interview. 

-- END CHANCE 3: JOUNOUCHI SIDE -- 

1) Fancy is a teenager magazine's name. So I do not own that either. If it's a bit vague, please tell me—I'll probably fix the whole thing (like extending the chapters or something like that). Though I won't go too deep into all that photography stuff as I'd mentioned at the beginning of this story.
2) Remember the Ishizu project proposal from chapter 1? That's the presentation they were supposed to be working on.

TheNekoTalks:

I apologize for not updating this. This chapter consisted of a lot of loose ends at the beginning so I had to fix everything to make the chapter complement Kaiba's PoV.
For some reason writing Jounouchi's PoV is just as hard as writing Kaiba's 0.0;; I'd tried my best to keep him as In Character but I kind of failed—guess my attention was just everywhere (as in; my attention was in Gundam Seed, Naruto, Saint Seiya Yami no Matsuei, Yuugiou... to name a few)

I like to thank:
- Lil-Riter
(n.n;; Yeah, nice and long. I can't help babbling about everything related when I'm esthetic. 
I believe that's really true; it IS very expensive to import them. I've only watched about 4-5 DVDs in Japanese and some in Cantonese VHS. A friend of mine -or at least his younger brother- has the whole series, but the little guy doesn't want to lend it to us :pouts: He thinks I'll scratch his DVDs TT.TT. Your parents don’t seem to mind you loving anime... how cool! Mine instead detest my obsession with anime.
Thank you, it's kind of complicated if you think about the dependence between the two. Really complicated when you want IT to work. Though it's interesting to see how everything will work out—
LOL. I hope at least this doesn't disappoint you much. =3
Thank you for reading and reviewing this story!
)

- mandapandabug (I'm sure that isn't quite true, you being a freak with no life, I mean. Thank you for your kind comments. I didn't mean Jounouchi's name, I meant Jiku's name :sweatdrops: I really should be more concrete when it comes to responding to everyone else's reviews.
Anyways, hmmm, I've noticed a lot of fans like to torture the characters they love most—such courage. Maybe you do it so that Jou can have some more traumatic moments and become a round character. :3 Nah, don't worry about babbling about how much you love Jounouchi—I admit he is so wonderful—and which stories you have. If I've enough time I'll probably check them out as soon as I can; so I'll try to read yours. =3 Thank you for reading and reviewing this story. I hope it doesn't get too uninteresting to you.) 

- PanDora (=3 I'm glad you're enthusiastic. Suspense? I wasn't really aware it's suspenseful--or maybe I'm just dense when it comes to my chapter endings. Please excuse some of my bad wording. =3 But I'm glad you're still interested in the story. Of course, of course :nod nod: Jou's so cute! Do you know that a lot SJ fanartists can really draw cute Jou's? Or am I a bit late with this information? :sweatdrops: :sighs: I wish I have enough time and motivation to draw at least an SJ fanart to this story. ARGH! Please, excuse my babbling. 
I understand what you mean about not liking Jiku using him as his verbal torture victim. I probably exaggerated a bit with the actual word, because I thought it wouldn't be understood when I'm actually trying to convey with that sentence and chapter 2 wherein Jiku had posted a sort-of critic against Jounouchi. I'm not going to be too mean—I seem to be a bit incapable of writing meanness, which doesn't seem to be true in my sister's eyes. LOL. Thank you for reading and reviewing this story! :3)

Thank you for reading!!!

.:Nekocin:. (I'm changing my signs at the end of my stories, because the usual smiley face and neko ears I'd signed in my earlier works cannot be used anymore and I find it silly every time I sign out with :smiley face:cin)