Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Shutter Chance ❯ Interlude II ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Shutter Chance
Author:
Nekocin
Warnings: MAJOR OoC. Uhm... grammar, anyone? Slow progress. Language. Inappropriate smoking, and drinking
Rating: PG13 (for language)
Additional notes: slight shounen ai
Disclaimer: Kishimoto Takahashi owns Yuugiou. CLAMP owns Clow Reed. Kawai Toko owns Love-holic. And me? I own... :thinks:... the fanarts that will be done in the near future! HYAA! Take that! Please look forward to 'A Shutter Chance' fanarts :hearts:  


~Interlude II: Jounouchi~  

I cannot remember the time when Kaiba and I had met each other. Not even the time when we suddenly started being friends. It felt as if we've know each other our whole lives! Which definitely was not true. I'm very sure I didn't meet Kaiba at school - not elementary school, not high school, not the Arts Institute - otherwise I would have found his face in the many pictures of my memorial picture albums. So it was safe to assume I had met Kaiba -after- my school days.  

I cannot remember a time where he wasn't in my life after those days. He seems to be always there. Just there! Right by my side, in my studio. And if not, he would probably be working his ass off as the rigorous Picture Director of M. Company, or flying abroad for business.  

Maybe that's why he is one of the few people I trust to call a friend. He's always nearby, commenting about my work and helping me sign big contracts-contracts that made me famous.  

Aside from meddling with my career, Kaiba is much like an acquaintance outside my work whenever we hang out, which isn't very often, seeing as how our schedules are always loaded with appointments, banquets, meetings - you name it. Why an acquaintance? Simple. I don't know him -that- personally. We never really questioned each other about our pasts.  

Isn't he a friend also? In a way, yes. We tend to banter like friends do, but aren't. We weren't really like what one would call 'normal friends' because of our clashing personalities.  

I suppose I really should be recalling the few times I started to notice - I mean, really, really notice-his presence.  

 - - X - -  

All the women of Jiku's crew were smirking all-knowingly in my direction, the day after Jiku's day off. They would send out strange signals to each other - waving hands, snapping fingers and not to forget, long smirks-and then purposefully nudge me whenever I passed them. I'd never known women have so many secret codes.  

"This isn't what we've agreed upon, Jiku,"  

"Are you questioning my judgment, Kaiba-san?"  

"Jiku-"  

"Enough of this! Do you know how many times I get migraines repeating these conditions over and over again to your boss? I've expected you to agree,"  

I found myself watching Jiku's spectacle with M. Company's Assistant Director, Kaiba (or was it Secretary?) It was hard not to be nosy whenever there's a commotion where Jiku was being a jerk again.  

"Yes. But Jiku, please reconsider them again. The company cannot uphold your demands. They're too risky-," Kaiba reasoned, only to be cut off by Jiku's next remark.  

"Then your company shouldn't be asking a famed, professional photographer like me to do this measly little job. Why don't you run along and find yourself someone who is willing to do everything for that money. It's possible that amateur photographers are available too. To think their photos will ever rival mine. Che'. I'd rather laugh aloud in Mutou's face for his ill luck, Kaiba,"  

I had a feeling he was referring to me. He probably was for Jiku threw a disdainful look in my direction. Everyone in the studio seemed to have noticed. The only one who didn't quite get it was Kaiba himself.  

Bless him for being oblivious.  

"Jiku, reconsider those words and please, refrain from insulting the Director," Kaiba pressed on, reaching out his folder to show something written inside. "We can't just pick a random photographer to do these ads. These projects are important for this year's winter season,"  

Jiku glared at the folder, pulled another disgusted face and snorted indignantly, "You people are so narrow-minded! Acting like you know everything about anything just because you have blue blood running through your veins, and shoving these stupid projects in my face. Honestly, don't you know that your Winter Season's project isn't worth any of my time?"  

"I'll speak to the Director regarding this matter, sir. But-,"  

"Do you want me to submit a complaint to your company, Kaiba-san?"  

Kaiba looked like he was about to throw a snide remark in Jiku's face with his lips curled up in a subtle snarl from my side of view. However, Kaiba did not take the bait. He did not easily react on his anger and was trying to keep his temper in check. What a reserved guy he was! I dislike people like him. Always trying to keep their cool while inside a war of different emotions is raging. They are all hypocrites! Liars behind a seemingly indifferent face.  

They make me sick! Gag.  

Jiku had probably noticed the subtle angry expression (he wasn't a professional Photographer for nothing; a professional Photographer who worked with what he liked to see) and seemed to be sharing the same opinion on the subject with me.  

"You emit no character whatsoever-I hate characterless people," he commented brusquely. "If I were angry - like right now - I would simply do this-"  

Jiku demonstrated by snatching the folder in which M. Company's Winter projects were held from a very surprised Kaiba and threw it in the air. All the papers fell out of the folder, flying everywhere and littering the area round their feet.  

That was quite unfair.  

A very shocked Kaiba was trying to compose himself, failing quite miserably in my opinion. His gritted teeth, shaking shoulders, fisted hands and closely knitted eyebrows gave away how angry he actually was. He was ready to explode, in fact.  

"That should teach you to mess with a Professional. Tell your Director if he ever wants to contract me again, he should come here himself and do all the begging. Don't think I cannot sue your company if you provoke me again, Kaiba. I'll crush you lot like a bunch of cockroaches," Jiku deliberately dirtied a few papers by stepping on them.  

Before I could even count to three, I was already raging in Jiku's face, dragging him by the collar and yelling obscene words I would rather not reveal for fear of little innocent, delicate, ears nearby. I hate people degrading other people more than people hiding behind a reserved mask of untruth. The latter one is at least polite, probably trying to feign intelligence with that look (which are quite harmless), whereas, the former are deliberately insulting others to make known of their reign. They keep reminding me how powerless I was - a graduate with a degree, working under one of the world's most horrible bosses - a shitty bastard called Jiku.  

I've always dreamed of putting up my own studio after getting my master's degree on Photography. A studio that will get the initials of my name; make name both nationally and internationally, and spread out my love for the subject. With my sloppy entree as an apprentice of Jiku, all my dreams were shot down as soon as that guy opened his mouth.  

I wasn't quite sure why I was standing up for a stranger for. Maybe it was because of the fact that he looked like some sad old chap whose face had deprived him of any outward display of emotions. Forever doomed to look cold and indifferent. Or maybe it's because I hated Jiku, or better yet, it's because I was searching for an excuse to pummel that stupid face, crunching his hawk-like nose and letting him bleed all over the place purposefully. And getting myself fired for the deed.  

Alarmed shouts were drowned away by the sounds of sickening crunches of fists connecting to body.  

("Jounouchi-kun, that's quite enough!")  

("KYAAAA!!!!")  

("Stop it!")  

("Call the ambulance!")

("No! Get the first aid kit first!")

("Calm yourself, Jou-kun!")

Before I could do more damage, I found myself being pulled and pressed against someone's body from behind to calm down. I didn’t know what came over me. Rage maybe?

X

Normally, anyone who got the shit beaten out of their faces would have contacted the police to arrest the assaulter for public misbehavior within minutes, or even seconds while crying about their poor ruined face.  

Jiku, however, did not. His reason - no one outside should know hoe he and his beautiful face had been beaten up by a street punk-of-an-assistant with a degree called Jounouchi Katsuya.  

I got fired that same day.  

X

"You shouldn't have done that," were Kaiba's first words when we coincidently met up outside Jiku's Walhalla's studio.  

I couldn't stop the triumphant grin from appearing, even after getting myself jobless.  

The chains that sir Jiku bound me during his reign over studio Walhalla as the Almighty, were cut loose and thrown somewhere in the midst of the sea.  

Heheheh. I was just in the mood for something poetic.  

"It's great to be out!" I stretched out my arms in the air.  

"You're taking this rather well for someone who's currently unemployed," Kaiba remarked, staring flatly at me.  

"I realized if I want to reach my goal I should start somewhere-anywhere, but here," I straightened my back, slid one of my hands into my jacket's pocket to retrieve an almost forgotten cigarette pack. "Making Jiku angry is probably one of the greatest endings I've completed in my life,"  

"You didn't have to stand up for me-,"  

"'wasn't saving your ass back there. Just see it as a repayment for the other day. So now we're even," I shook out a cigarette and passed it to Kaiba.  

Finally! I could do this again! Oh, how I've missed that tangy smell and feeling within me, whenever I smoked.  

As Jiku's 24-7 Assistant, I wasn't granted the privilege to smoke during rest periods. Jiku always found something for me to do.  

Kaiba gave me a queer look at the cigarette before giving it back to me, saying, " - I'm sorry. I don't smoke this brand,"  

I ignored it, rolling my eyes and slid another cigarette out of the pack. "Well, that's too bad. You're missing out, Kaiba - oh, hey! Got a lighter here with you? Mine must have dropped in the laundry,"  

Something almost poked my eyes out. It was a lighter. Kaiba's lighter.  

"What did you do that for? You could've blinded me with that thing, wise guy!" I seethed, spitting out the unlit cigarette the other's face.  

"You wanted a lighter, didn't you? It's not my fault you're out of shape for an unemployed man," Kaiba wiped a stray spit from his face, while looking down coolly at me. Dare I say he was playing with me! Even for someone whose face resembled an out-of-wood carved one.

"Bastard, you are," Fisting my hands, I couldn't suppress a long forgotten grin touching my lips.  

" - You can keep it," he said at last.

I blinked, squatted near the silver lighter and picked it up, scoffing, "You mean - I can keep this half empty one? Hey mister, I'm not sure what exactly you've been smoking but this is - pffft. Hahahaha," I wasn't sure why I was laughing. The conversation wasn't even that humorous. I just lost my job and here I was, talking to some big shot about whatever came our way.

"What's so funny?" He bristled.  

"You are," I ventured, successfully getting a glare sent my way. "If you dare to come back for it, I'll kick your ass. Thanks for the lighter, anyway," To demonstrate, I stuffed the lighter in one of my jacket's pockets.  

"It's no big deal. There are many cheap lighters in local convenience stores. Now, good day, Jounouchi. Hopefully, I never have to see your face again," He smirked.  

I decided to dislike his smirk.

"Do you want me to punch you, Kaiba? I don't make it a habit to hit strangers like you," I sneered. "Now, scram! Don't ever show your face to me again either, weirdo you,"  

Kaiba waved once and headed towards a public parking lot outside Walhalla studio. I thought that would be the first and the last time I would watch Kaiba walking into the light of the afternoon sun with his back turned to me; with his strange jacket billowing his long legs, while the wind continued to play with his gelled-hair.  

I thought that would be my first and last time to ever see such a beautiful moment scene. Damn you, Kaiba! Why did you have to emit model-material?  

- - X - -  

The following week every local newspaper covered headlines about the great Mutou Y., the famous M. Company's Picture Director, stepping down from his position and promoting one of his most trusted advisors to take over his post. 

I didn't know that guy personally, though; we used to visit the same Art Institute. He was about what? 3-4 years my senior when I first entered the school or something. Found himself a job when he was rounding up his exam year and went to work as soon as he got his diploma. Quite a lucky guy, right? Sigh. Too bad he's stepping down.  

Mutou's most trusted advisor turned out to be Kaiba Seto. The weirdo.  

A big picture of Kaiba S. in all his glory, wearing an extremely boring (but clearly made of expensive material) suit, followed by a quick preview of his background was printed up on every front page of the local newspapers. It'd probably attracted a lot of readers, or so I heard.  

His curriculum vita was one helluva long list of Institutes he had passed and memberships he had taken. He was a born genius, the journalist who wrote the article had remarked in the heading. Gawd! Did he go through all those 8 schools? In what? 20-something years?  
He could become one high and mighty business head with the many diplomas he had in his possession. Why stick to a measly Photography financial world when he could take over the world with his capacity? 

Outsiders, however, weren't quite that intimidated with Kaiba's long list of acknowledgements in the financial world. They had speculated that Kaiba dethroned Murou with the money the late Kaiba Gozaburo had left him. Blackmailing, they called it.  

Rumors started escalating when Mutou simply disappeared from the face of the earth, after giving up his post to Kaiba. Invisible fingers pointed in Kaiba's direction. He was the main suspect. People began whispering behind cupped hands; Kaiba had killed Mutou - Kaiba had been eyeing his boss' position for quite a long time - he forced Mutou to step down - killed him when Kaiba no longer needed him - Kaiba should be arrested - blahblahblah and all that shit.  

I wasn't sure which version was true. The objective newspaper or the flying rumors. Both seemed possible. Got my answer sooner than expected. I ran into Kaiba at work, the newly opened bar called 'Madam Butterfly' (strange name, huh?).

Kaiba had been talking to my boss, Clow Reed, about something or another before downing some drink in one go. He didn't see me though. He was too occupied with my boss, and possibly too drunk to notice his environment. Nosy reporters will destroy his image if they ever were to recognize that slumped-over figure as the Great Kaiba.  

The subject they were discussing must have been something quite intense for Kaiba's face was scrunched up in a grimace as if something was shoved up into his ass when he was least likely to expecting it.  

Seeing him so miserable, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy. I really shouldn't be, I really shouldn't. I hardly knew that guy!

The way 'Madam Butterfly' dim lights lit one side of Kaiba's face reminded me of the other day when he had walked away - into the sunlight. He had looked so real. So, what ladies would call, heart wrenching.  

I froze in my spot when glassy blue eyes—I mean, really, -really- electric blue eyes-stared at me. The pair blinked unfocused at me.  

"—Jou—nou—chi-san,"

"Kaiba-san," I acknowledged.  

Kaiba gave me a strange little quirk of a smile, blinking repeatedly at me in disbelief, before turning to bid a polite good night to my boss.  

Boss returned the greeting and then gave me an expectant look. "Just in time, Jounouchi," He remarked out of the blue.  

Kaiba pushed himself from the chair and staggered a few steps further, swaying. He tried to straighten himself but failed miserably as hit his the counter, face first while grabbing onto it for support.  

"What do you mean?" I watched Kaiba warily as he made his way to my side.  

"If I can remember right, you mentioned you have a Bachelor of Arts-degree on Photography, right?"  

"So? You want me to paint the walls?"  

"No such thing. Kaiba just told me about having a hard time contacting professional Photographers to do his Winter Project ever since the rumors started spreading like hungry fire," Boss elaborated, his 'perfect smile' in place and face palely calm.  

I might be a bit dense about a lot of stuff except Photography, but boss was downright obvious about this.  

"How many glasses did you force into him?"  

"Five - to be exact. He doesn't really have a high alcohol tolerance. What a pity," Clow smiled, raising his right hand and spreading his fingers to emphasize the number. "He looked like he needed a drink to forget the pain,"

"You squeezed every detail out of him, didn't you, Clow?"  

"You can say that - Kaiba's case is sensational news. So why not? The way his mind works is fascinating," Boss smiled again.  

" - boss, you're weirder than Kaiba. And that's saying quite a lot!"  

"Am I really?" Clow chuckled lightly.  

"I came to - get - my lighter-back," Kaiba interrupted. He smirked at me, sloppily reaching my side of the counter, saying "—the lighter—my lighter-,"

And I punched him. Weirdo Bastard.

 - - X - -  

In the end I had to take Kaiba home. Found out where his house actually was (turned out to be quite a spacious flat in one of the most expensive apartment-buildings of the city. Figures. He's a rich man's kid. Way too much satin blue which gave off a melancholic air at night) and tucked him in like big boy in his ridiculously heap of a bed (way too exaggeratingly decorated guilt). 

Boss' orders. 

Idiot, giving me work and more work. Next time, I won’t be forgiving for punching him panda-eyed. 

X

“ ;What did you just ask me?” I had to grab the counter before I could topple over from shock. Wha-? 

“I’m asking you to be my Head Photographer in my newest project, Jounouchi-san,” Kaiba repeated, grimacing slightly when an ear piercing electric guitar alto tore through the speakers. Damn teenagers with their abnormal tastes in music. They really shouldn't put the volume in max when playing such music styles. Eardrums would burst and ears would bleed. 

Two nights after our encounter, he came over at work and shoved all that information about needing someone for his project and blahblahblah - Clow and I had already discussed about that the other night - in my face. I was the best choice because I was sort of - out of employment (and what exactly does 'waiting tables and bar counter at Madam Butterfly' count for? Flirting with the drunkards?) and because Kaiba had later found out from Clow that I was an Art-graduate with honors. 

(I wouldn't be surprised if boss had exaggerated in front of a drunkard like Kaiba.) 
For someone who had such a low alcohol tolerance, he sure had a sharp memory of whatever kind of information boss had entrusted him to.

"If you don't want to do this, I understand. You must have heard about the -things- I had done to get my promotion and other stuff. Sure, the deal isn't as high as Jik-," Kaiba pressed.

"Don't mention that name in front of me!" I snapped.

" - the deal isn't as high as Jiku's," He continued, ignoring my warning, "He's an egoistic Photographer who is out to get the highest bid. Everyone knows that. Since he had refused this project the other time, it's still open for the season. It's a good start for someone like you,"

I immediately attacked him with a glare, voice low, "What do you mean, someone like me?" 

"You're technically still a rookie in this world, so you might best begin with something easier like a season theme,"

"Ho, wait, wait, wait! You're telling -me- that working with a season is the easiest for a rookie like me?" I pointed an impolite finger in his surprised face, as I continued to lecture, "Photography doesn't work like that in this world. Nothing is EASY! I'm no stranger in this world. I know how this world is put together. So don't give me that shit about 'because I'm a rookie in this world yadayadayada' shit! Why am I even telling you this? You don't know how it is when taking pictures on your own and trying to run a photo business without getting yourself eaten by rival companies!"

I didn't know I was that angry until I found myself breathing harshly through my opened mouth and gulping for air, chest heaving up and down. I could feel Clow's curious eyes on my back and several other curious stares from our night visitors. I guess I must have screamed across the ear thudding bass drums.

Finally having caught my breath, I glared at Kaiba who stayed silent throughout my little tirade. He had a nonplussed look on his face, thoughtful maybe. Guilty? Perhaps.

He nodded once and then did something out of the ordinary for someone who just got an earful from an easily angered person like me - he leaned over to pat my head, making sick comforting sounds under his breath, "You're like a little kid, you know Jounouchi?" And he smirked, leaving me to stare wide-eyed at his retreating back. What the fuck?

"What the fuck happened?" I turned on my heels to look at my boss.

Clow was failing miserably with fighting down a smile-smirk of sorts that threatened to appear on his mildly father-like face. "What the fuck are you smiling about?! It's not funny!"

He suddenly broke into fits of something between a cross of laughter and chuckles.

That was the first time and not the last time when Kaiba started patting me like some kind of little kid who did something right for a change. I hated the touch. I hated the weirdo. Bastard.

- END INTERLUDE II: JOUNOUCHI -  

1) Finally found his real name. Jiku's name is Sieg Lloyd AKA Siegfried von Schröder (sp?). The guy with long, purple, Pegasus-like style hair. The guy wanted Kaiba as his opponent in the series. -.- He's the only one who seems In Character in this fanfiction O.o WHYYYYYY?  
2) I'm not promoting drinking and smoking. Scenes where the characters drink or smoke are just purely created just to fit, what I call, the 'stress stadium'.  
3) 'Madam Butterfly' is not exactly a real bar name. I just took it from my Card Captor Sakura (Alternative Universe) 'Poison' fic where Touya meets up with Yukito there. I just thought this story could go parallel with that story, seeing as Kaiba's character appeared in 'Poison' as a side character. So I thought why not use a CLAMP character to be a side character in this one too. This is -NOT- a cross over, so we won't see much of that CLAMP character in the next few chapters unless 'Madam Butterfly' is in need to be mentioned.  
4) And that's how they became good buddies! n.n Here, they're completely opposites. Jou is impulsive and gets angry easily. I can live with that. :smiles: Kaiba is - just someone who's mostly misunderstood because he comes from a rich family (unlike the series, where he's actually adopted) and is trying to get back to business where Mutou Yuugi had left off.

TheNekoTalks:  

(deleted the reviews) All reviews will be answered in my livejournal (the link is posted on my biopage). m-.-m Forgive me for the inconvenience. This is one short chapter :cries: Whyyy???

Thank you for reading!!!

.:Nekocin:.