Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Shutter Chance ❯ Chance 5 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Shutter Chance
Author: Nekocin
Genres: Drama, bit angst and Romance
Rating: PG15 (for language and some supposed blunt lime scenes)
Warnings: OoC, not-so-appropriate words, grammar perhaps?
Pairings: bordering to Kaiba x Jounouchi and mild ShizukaKaiba, mild YugiKaiba (oh my god, everyone luvs Kaiba ovo)
Additional notes: shounen ai, mild hetero.
Author's note: Uhm... yeah. This story seems to get my attention first instead of Haima (which only needs one looong chapter to be called completed at last). I re-read my chapters and I have to say the beginning sucked. Will probably rewrite the whole thing once this story is finished.

~Chance 5: Kaiba Side~

As of now, he never did answer my question.



The moment I stepped into the office I caught that guy, Morimoto-sempai, smirking at me. A malicious, knowing smirk. With a vixen glint in those eyes. As if on cue, I felt something big was going to happen. 
That morning I woke up 15 minutes later than usual, slipped in to my bathroom and almost forgot to put my pants on when I left my apartment. The unusual breaks in my daily routine all seemed to point out that-

"S-sir-," Shizuka fiddled with the manila folders in her arms, tactfully avoiding eye contact with me and then helplessly thrust the folders into my chest, before running away. It must have been just me--but did she just sob?

All eyes were suddenly on me. Accusing. Judging. And then concluding. There's distrust and disgust.

"What are you all looking at? Get back to work!"

Morimoto-sempai sent me another all-knowing smirk. 

I realized why everyone was looking distrustfully at me when I looked over the morning papers on my desk, spewing the coffee, which I always sip first before reading, everywhere.

What the f--?

With the less hot black liquid dripping along my chin, I stared at the front page with a blatantly enlarged picture of--Jounouchi and I. It was--someone had spotted us--me patting Jounouchi's head. Whoever the spy was, he definitely knew how to develop such a far away picture with high quality. I could almost see myself smiling softly down at an irate-looking Jounouchi.

The headlines were screaming bloody murder: "Scandal of the Year goes to Jounouchi K. or to Kaiba S. ?"

I read the huge article immediately, wiping the stickiness from my chin with a handkerchief and then looked over the other newspapers. All of them had the same article on their front page.

Pi-pi-pi-pi

I flipped the cell phone on as I pressed it near my ear. "Hel-,"

"Kaiba Seto, the hell is going on here?" Something got stuck in my throat that I almost choke. "What the fuck have you been telling those reporters about me? How dare you use dirty tricks! Wait till I get my hands on you, Kaiba--!" 

"Oh, wait! I'm already here. The fuck this shit is talking about, huh?" And indeed, Jounouchi was shouting both through the phone and in front of me. The cell phone clicked shut. 
He really was there--in front of me. 

I backed away from his menacing face. "Good morning to you too, Jounouchi. Please refrain from using obscene words during working hours,"

He harrumphed and pushed the morning papers into my face.

"What the fuck did you tell those people? Have you even read the papers, asshole?"

"I was about to when you decided it was time to destroy my eardrums right away," I spoke up calmly.

He took a second to look over my desk on which most of the morning papers were strewn open, and wordlessly apologized with a guilty twist in his eyes, before turning his face away. Embarrassed.

I could feel everyone's prodding eyes on us. It couldn't be helped with the way Jounouchi had unceremoniously dropped in.

I pushed my chair back with a sigh.

--- X ---

I locked the door of the meeting room behind me. From the corner of my eye I watched him plop down in one of the swirl chairs. Face blank and eyes vacant. He did not seem to care that I was staring even after knowing what the whole world thought of our supposed relationship. We stayed silent for the first half hour, indirectly eyeing each other distrustfully.

Unsurprisingly, he was the first who initiated a conversation.

"Do you--do you remember the time when you got yourself drunk after work?"

"Just barely."

He snorted. "And then you vowed never to get yourself drunk again,"

"I don't like throwing up every few seconds,"

Jounouchi snorted again. "Shitty bastard. Stop interrupting me,"

I kept my mouth shut.

"As I was saying---some way or another you survived the scandal of your former boss' disappearance with only one hangover. But how?"

"I didn't do anything about the talks. They were just rumors,"

He twirled the chair carefully, and appeared to be deep in thought about something. "So you won't do anything about this either?" 

"Depends on the severity," He gave me a nonchalant look.

"Hmmm---just so you know, Kaiba, if this is one of your tricks-,"

"It is not," I interrupted.

"It's not? Well, whatever. If it were I'll personally kick your ass to Kingdom Come,"

He then took a deep calming breath and stood up.

"We'll discuss this later," He said and walked past me out of the meeting room. He forgot to take along his newspaper.

----

It took a month or two to get the news to shut up about our "scandal". Within those months the business status and nation-wide ratings about my work had dropped infamously. Regular clients were afraid to catch my "disease" (as they put it) if they bought any of my ideas about commercial-making with picture boards. Less models wanted their contracts to be signed in order to get Jounouchi as their photographer for several years. And everyone started talking behind my back--like the time when Mutou passed his seat to me.

There was a rumor about me firing some of Jounouchi's assistants because I had been jealous about them lavishing too much attention on Jounouchi himself. Hmph. 
There was another rumor about Jounouchi using me to climb up the ladder in the Art world because I had the money and the connections,

Another thing people seemed to like discussing was "Oh my god! Oh my god! I can't believe I fell for a gay man!" 
Random people on the streets were suddenly interviewed about this issue. Everyone was indeed shocked about my "secret relationship" with Jounouchi and were all against it, telling nonsensical half-truths and half-lies about either having caught me -ravishing- Jounouchi in an alley and vice versa, or having caught us acting -obscenely- in front of many innocent children at some children party I never knew of.

I was used to these sort of talks. Once, I'd survived the same madness and I will continue to survive it. I could take all the bad talking thrown at me for it was normal to get negative opinions here and there. If my business were to go wrong in this city, I can always set another branch in another city. Or abroad.

But Jounouchi...

Out of the two of us, Jounouchi suffered the most, I suppose. 

His fiery temperament was tested out every few seconds, possibly adding more chances to the possibility list of Jounouchi blowing up his own studio with his kind of explosive anger. 

The few models he received were acting obnoxious and disgusted towards him. 
Except--thank goodness--his Ishizu-chan of course! She seemed to immune to the every day sensational news. It's a relief to know she didn't care about stuff outside her own work--or else Jounouchi would have been crushed, losing the little ounce of dignity he still had within.

His crew was wary of him, no doubt. Everyone was jumpy whenever he unconsciously came close. Art magazines blotted his name, calling him a disgrace and an amateur over and over again. To make things worse, even Jiku contributed to most of those articles where he lashed out on Jounouchi and his sex life (I don't remember him having one, actually).

Jounouchi couldn't take harsh criticism without blowing up. And let it never be said that he was not a good photographer. That was the only weak point in his proud and indifferent affront. For him--I decided not to visit his studio. He would be taunted in the news over and over again if those snoopers realize I visit him from time to time to see his "progress". 

There was enough "juicy" material to pick on, they say.

They say we fucked each other hard and loud. Loud enough for outsiders within 300 meter radius to heard the screeching of an animal between pain and pleasure. It was so horribly loud and obnoxious that neighbouring kids couldn't help but be transfixed by these weird sounds and developed sleeping disorders the passing days. They say I liked fucking someone tight and hard and rough until the man passed out. And Jounouchi probably was the worst.

They say we probably wouldn't mind fucking corpses--perhaps even the (non-existing) corpse of my former boss, Mutou Yugi. Some fool (Jiku) fed the hungry reporters with more wood to their fire of sensation, explaining a whole episode of how I took him hostage in order to have him sign a contract wherein Jounouchi could become his assistant; or how Jounouchi tortured him by locking him up in 'our bedroom' while 'we' went playing like rabbits in the heat. With him as our third person. A whole bunch of turds believed the shit the media gave them. 
All idiots! Sometimes I wonder who's the bigger idiot here... them or Jounouchi.

Jounouchi and I hardly talk to each other much less acknowledge each other's existence during all the hassling. It was as if we had never known one another five years ago...

Sensation got bored of us. The media got bored of us. And the reader's audience... I wouldn't know. As soon as all the hassling quieted down, the after effects came rushing into our lives--in mine at least. 

My office had suddenly become my whole world. My home. I worked; I ate; I drank and I slept there 24/7 besides the occasional visits to the lavatory. I hardly went home to have a good shower, or have a bath for that matter... unless one calls a bath with the wash basin was one anyway. 
And I did not care about Morimoto's obviously rising fame with other companies.

And Jounouchi? 

He probably started visiting every existing bar of the city to drown his worries with morning hangovers and probably got himself robbed by sneaky whores and thieves too. It wasn't exactly a comforting thought, admittedly. Which was why I started developing this strange urge to check up on him. 

Only a glimpse of the stack of scandal newspapers on Morimoto's desk kept me from tearing down to my car and save, so to speak, Jounouchi (though he probably wouldn't like it, in the end). I didn't want more rumors to spread. 

How pathetic. I realized I kept thinking about -him-... did he miss me?

"--s-sir,"

I stopped my writing and looked up from my work. It's Shizuka. Everyone had already gone home that night. The floor on which my desk was situated, was surprisingly dimly-lit thanks to the lights outside and my desk lamp that used only 20 watt. Within the dimly light her brown eyes would shine like the dark night sky outside wherein twinkling stars were dotting unseen patterns.

She had silently stared at me for awhile, her eyes shimmering a bit and face looking sickly pale and green for some reason. She parted her lips to say something but then stopped herself, getting second thoughts about something.

Sighing inwardly, I dropped my pen, flexed my stiff fingers and leaned back in my chair. "Is there something you need?" She jumped when I spoke up and turned her eyes away, plucking her small purse. Indecisive.

"No, sir,"

"Then why are you still here?"

She bit her under lip nervously before steeling herself and sprang forward to slam both her hands on my desk. The sound hand hitting desk echoed down the hall.

I raised my eyebrows at her.

"Sir! I'm worried--I'm worried about you, sir!"

"There's nothing to worry about,"

"But sir--"

"Enough. Go home. Take a bath and sleep early,"

I held up a hand commandingly to silence her.
She closed her mouth obediently but then furrowed her eyebrows to look into my eyes more insistently. Her eyes still remind me of...

I folded my arms over one another

"--but sir, will you please listen to me for a second, sir?" She wiped her eyes, smudging the little make-up she had on and let out a sniffle. I wasn't sure why she was crying.

"Within the two years I have been serving you, sir, I had learned a bit what had made you what you are, sir. You're strong; you're confident; you're capable--,"

I shifted in my seat, uncomfortable.

"Everything about you was perfect. And still--sir--did you know--did you know I look up to you?!" 

Sort of. It was obvious. I wasn't surprised of course. It was normal to have most women confess their undying love to me in the most possible terms between like, respect and admire. And there's also of course an eternal appreciation of my looks and capabilities. But what of my incapability?

"--the passing months has been so hectic--a-and Morimoto-sempai is getting all your best clients. And you, sir, are holding yourself here--I'm ashamed of myself, sir. To think I had looked up to you and then scorn you because of your relationship with Jounouchi-san,"

"We are not in a relationship," I corrected, exasperatedly.

"--I know sir. That's why I'm ashamed of myself. Please sir, let me stay here with you tonight,"

"--no,"

"But sir, you're always writing something. Day after day. Night after night. Have you even had a decent sleep these last few weeks? Let me help you with the rest of your work,"

"Shizuka, don't be foolish. Go take your rest,"

"But what about your rest, sir?"

"I don't need one. Now GO!"

Shizuka looked at me. Those brown eyes filled with worry--argh! Jounouchi--"Sir--," 

"Shizuka," I glared at her. "Don't make me--,"

"All right, sir," she hastily cut me off and obligingly bowed lightly. "Good night, sir,"

One last worried look was sent my way before those brown eyes disappeared behind the metal doors of the floor's elavator. 

Sighing, I leaned back further and stared up at the ceiling. I'm tired of this all, was mulled over and over again in my head before I gave up trying to concentrate on how many tiles the ceiling above me was made of.

Pi-pi-pi-pi-p-

I flipped open my cell phone. Need to get a new ring tone soon. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's me--," That voice...

I grabbed my coat on my way out.

-- X --

It was past midnight when I arrived at Ueno park, hands stuffed in my coat's pockets. Puffs of air I breathed out were cicling in front of my face before evaporating within a second.

The sakura trees were all fully-bloomed and, no doubt, as pretty as ever. The distinct scent of sakura everywhere charmed the night eerily. With only a few street lanterns lighting the area here and there, Ueno park looked like an ideal place to kill someone beautifully. If one looked closer the cherry blossoms really appeared to be red instead of white pink. The color of blood.

A silhouette against one of the lanterns in the center of the park waved me over. I felt the corners of my lips twitch. We sat doen on a nearby stone bench, a meter apart from another. No greetings. No words. A mere acknowledging nod and then silence.

"How have you been?" he started quietly, breathing out puffs of air. 

"I'm not dead yet,"

He chuckled. A melancholic echo in the night.

"What about you?" It's polite to ask the same thing.

He looked up at the sky and appeared to be thinking very hard. "So far, no one has found out about my escapadee yet,"

I snorted. "I should sue all those companies spreading lies about you being dead, sir,"

"Forget it, Kaiba. Don't waste your money unnecessarily on someone like me. You should sue those who are ruining -your- life,"

I looked down at his shiny black leather boots. Since when had he started wearing leather? I noted his leather pants, his leather jacket and leather finger gloves. "Why did you leave?"

He did not answer me immediately though, only sighed and then slouched before murmuring, "I was looking for something--I was looking for the missing piece in my life,"

"Was?"

He chuckled again. Another sad sound. It wasn't my every day that my former boss decided to visit me and share his secrets after years of absence. So I waited in silence for him to continue.

"I gave up my search three years ago when I realized I had been such a fool all this time--,"

He did not resume his talking though. He took a moment to look me over and shifted closer. Only 30 centimeters of space was left between. "They say we wouldn't notice how much something means to us unless we lose it,"

I think I couldn't breathe properly with the way Mutou was intently staring at my face for. A sort of rare raw sort of haggard look of hopelessness. 

It wasn't hard to catch on.

"I'm sorry, sir. I already have someone I'm setting my hopes for,"

He dropped his eyes, guiltily and looked away. "I understand."

He and I went our separate ways after out little encounter in the park and I never got to know what Mutou did all these years. 
Did he try to forget me? Did he angst over me? Did he try to contact me? Of course, those were selfish thoughts and unfair to Mutou. I'd just crushed his hopes. 

X

On rare days when I fell asleep atop the many projects I had forced myself to create, I would see him in my dreams. Just standing there, smiling at me. He smiled encouraging at me. The annoying quirk in the corners of those chapped lips. I didn't know what he meant with that strange look on his face. That haunted look of insomnia. 
He was dressed in that awful-looking leather suit that did not hide the fact that he was just skin and bones. A real big contrast to the Mutou with whom I had once worked and cursed for his impeccability to exceed in every field I was assigned to. That time he had been on the pudgy side, too much baby fat in his cheeks and arms. 

Hadn't he eaten yet? Did he need money for something to eat? I would ask him from time to time. Not really out of pity or discipline. 

I didn't know what I was supposed to feel. My dream form just asked. There was nothing really important about seeing him suddenly in my subconscious state. He did nothing but smile at me and stand in one place without moving a hand to greet me or a step forward to welcome me. 

It was unnerving to see that guy in dreams I had never thought of remembering. Fortunately, the image of him faded away after a week of restless sleep. But instead of the sweet nothingness and utter darkness in his place, I was completely thrown into a whirlwind of furious needing of sorts, watching with near-blind eyes incomprehensible scenes of two unknown people talking to each other. 

When I woke up, there was always a lingering hunger within the pit of my stomach and an awfully dry throat. I had been developing both eating and sleeping disorders all this time. No matter how many sandwiches, how many cups of coffee I had forced myself to consume that rolling pain within my stomach and the scraping dryness within my throat did not go away.
It didn't take long before I was seeing white spots every time I read over incoming project proposals. 

And it didn't take long before I realized why I looked so unhealthy. It was a virus attack. And I did not like the look on her face when Shizuka took my temperature. "I think you should get a week rest and eat plenty of meat or greens,"

I felt unsatisfied. Even in my sleep. I felt like bursting out. 

"--Jounouchi--it's me--do you have a minute?"

"..." He did not answer me.

For some reason I started imagining how his breath would feel like in my ear. Would I shiver? Would I step away?
My body shivered as a cold breeze passed through the balcony into my room. 

"Jou-?" I didn't realize I was holding the receiver so anxiously that my hand started to sweat.

"--yeah--What do you want?"

"--you," He released a long sigh.

"..." 

...please come over and satisfy me with your presence.

-- END CHANCE 5: KAIBA SIDE -- 

- Ueno Park -- a real park in Japan. It's one of the most visited parks in the city where rows of sakura trees are proudly displayed. 
- Sakura -- Cherry blossoms. These flowers are grown beautifully in Japan only.
- the scene about redness of the cherry blossoms -- I had a spur of CLAMP-moment. CLAMP is famous of their sakura symbolism in their manga/anime series. About the redness--think of Tokyo Babylon where it is said that the blossoms turn red due to the buried corpses under their roots. Disturbing, huh?

TheNekoTalks:


Not much, but it's a start. Right? Oh, the drama! :punches herself: Do you know how hard it was not to continue this chapter? I was planning to put a lime scene at the end, but then I realize I wasn't suppose to rush their attraction to one another. So I'm just letting them hang on wanting more... XD

Thank you for reading!!! 

.:Nekocin:.

Edit: Urgh! I've found a lot of typos. Edited them. Please forgive me for the inconvenience.