Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Thousand Words ❯ What did I do to make you hate me? ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

~We stumbled in a tangled web

Decaying friendship almost dead

And hide behind a mash of lies. ~

"Yami?"

"What?!" was the angry reply.

There was a moment of tense silence as one tried to regain his courage to speak and the other tried to keep his anger in check. "Are you okay because you seem… well, you seem kind of pissed of at something?" Yugi questioned uncertainly, worried that he would get his head bit off for his concern.

"What do you think? Now leave me alone!" Yami barked out roughly as a low growl was heard from deep within his throat.

Yugi felt a cold shiver of loneliness run through his as his yami slammed his soul door tightly with a loud thundering noise. It's been almost a year since the yamis were able to get their own body and it has probably been the worst year yet. Yami had ignoring him almost all the time and the time that Yugi wasn't being ignored, his yami had given him an attitude. Yugi believed that since Yami had his own body now, he wasn't needed anymore. At the beginning of the change, Yugi had faith that it would get better in time. Boy was he wrong about that.

"What did I do wrong, Yami? What did I do to make you hate me so much? I thought that you cared, but you probably only cared because you needed me." Yugi shook his head almost forcefully. "No! I mustn't think like that. He did care. And he still does care. Right?" Yugi whispered quietly to himself.

He sat by the window and watched the sun set itself upon the horizon. Thoughts of the years before ran through his head as tears gathered in his violet eyes. As a single crystal teardrop made its way from his eyes, Yugi thought about the idea that has been running through his head for quite some time now. He had always pushed it away before, but this time, he couldn't. No matter what, he couldn't because this time, it seemed to be the perfect solution… the only solution.

He quietly made his way up the stairs and into his room before giving it a second thought. Pulling out his duffel bag, along with a suitcase and some hidden cash, he thought about how Ryou and Malik are handling their own yamis. He regretted leaving them behind like this, but he had no other choice. What he was about to do was necessary. They'd understand; they always do.

After emptying out his closet and drawers and managing to stuff them into the two cases, he took one last look around the room, knowing that he may or may not return again. Leaving a letter on his desk with the Millennium Puzzle holding it in place, he whispered `Goodbye'. With the soft click of the door, he left his old life behind, determined to start a new one. One without his yami in it.