Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ An Argument with Kaiba Seto ❯ Contrivance 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

An Argument With Kaiba Seto

By Shella

-^-^-^-^-^-

Contrivance 3.

No one was particularly taken aback when Jounouchi Katsuya walked into study hall one morning with a very obvious love bite on his neck. Such things were as unusual as finding the broken teeth of some poor unfortunate comb in Yugi's hair, i.e. not unusual at all. The surprise came when he refused to divulge the identity of the person who'd inflicted it on him.

Now Jou was normally one to flaunt, rather than respect, his conquests, and so it came as rather a disruption to the normal scheme of things, much like a break in the track disrupts two freight trains, one leaving New York at 5.07pm traveling at 61 miles per hour and the other leaving Boston at 4.37pm traveling at 49 miles per hour. Nevertheless Honda and Anzu were his good friends, well-adjusted people, and all-round nice guys (except for Anzu who was, in fact, a girl) and so they took this in their strides.

"Whaddya mean you won't say who it was?!" Anzu inquired pleasantly, augmenting her words with eloquent gestures.

Honda agreed, but unfortunately this isn't an R-rated fanfiction yet so I can't relay what he said.

"What's the deal?!" continued Anzu, in the same calm voice.

"Yeah, Jounouchi, what's the big secret?" Honda's tone balanced strident demand with indignant sulking. Together he and Anzu scowled in a way that almost looked like pouting, and was actually rather amusing. Hence Jou's snort of laughter, and hence the application of two thick textbooks to the mop of blonde hair.

"Ow, geez!" Rubbing his head, where an egg-shaped lump was sure to sprout (as opposed to a different-shaped lump further south that sprouted at other times, like when he was receiving very obvious love bites), Jou mustered every shred of dignified maturity in his body, and stuck his tongue out.

Yugi giggled.

"Yug'!" Jou cried, aggrieved. "You're supposed to be defending me here! Best friends, always there for each other, yada yada - ringin' any bells?!"

"Sorry, Jounouchi-kun," the shorter teen said sheepishly. The grin remaining on his face, however, gave the lie to his apology, just as it gave the shits to the person it was caused by. Seeing murder in his friend's eyes, the flame-haired boy quickly returned the conversation to its original subject. "But Jounouchi-kun, why won't you tell us who gave you that love bite?"

Jounouchi flushed and looked at his feet. This in itself was enough to induce a resemblance among the other three to that of guppy fish at feeding time, as nobody could recall an occasion where Jounouchi Katsuya would blush over something sex-related. Even during that awkward stage all teenagers experienced, when they were just beginning to discover the opposite sex (or the same sex) and the hormones associated with them, Jounouchi had evaded the inherent embarrassment with a combination of humour, cheerfulness, and stubborn ignorance as to the discomfiting situations his body found itself in. In fact, for a time it had been debated whether he was actually going through puberty at all. Jounouchi didn't know whether this doubt insulted or flattered him.

(It had since been attested to, by a number of Domino High's female students, that Jounouchi Katsuya had, indeed, experienced puberty, and much smirking and winking had accompanied these testimonies, so that put that particular dispute to rest.

But back to Jounouchi blushing.)

"What? Who? Where? When? How? Why?"

[Select line of inquiry]

[Selected line of inquiry: When]

"…The other night."

[Selected line of inquiry: Where]

"Over at their house."

[Selected line of inquiry: Who]

"I … can't tell ya who."

[Selected line of inquiry: Why]

"Just cos."

[Selected line of inquiry: Why, goddamnit?!]

"I just can't, okay?!"

"Jounouchi, you're gonna have to do better than that…"

"Please, Jounouchi-kun, tell us!"

Again, the blush. And gradually a hush fell around their table as the blonde organized his thoughts.

"Jounou-"

"Shh!"

After a moment, he gulped and started. "Look, it wasn't just a one-time thing, okay? It might … I think it could maybe get serious. But - but I dunno - I don' wanna make a big deal out of it until I got some idea what it can - where it'll go, y'know?" He paused. "Uh … am I making any sense?"

"WHO IS IT?!"

"Anzu!" Yugi protested, grabbing her arm. She deflated reluctantly, and the flame-haired teenager turned indigo eyes on his best friend. "Jounouchi … if you want some time … that's okay." The two brunettes scowled in a way that said they disagreed, but didn't voice their thoughts. "If it's important to you, I'm always here."

Jounouchi gave him a grateful look. "Thanks, Yug'," he smiled. "I knew I could count on you. Unlike some people," he added, glowering at Honda and Anzu.

They didn't even bother to try and look innocent.

-^-^-^-^-^-