Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Back To Ancient Egypt ❯ The Wish and the Mysterious Voice ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Priestess: I'm not technically a member, but I noticed this challenge on a livejournal group called anichallenge or something and I can't resist a challenge (except for Teen Titans, since there are hardly any Raven/Cyborg challenges and I'm the spokesperson for the fanclub-a.k.a the first person to write a Teen Titans fanfiction)

Here are the conditions of the challenge:

1) Someone must hear a noise and misinterpret its source.
2) The teenage girl must, at some point in the story, strip down to her underwear for nonsexual reasons.
3) The dialogue "I always feel my day is incomplete without one" must be spoken at one time or another.

It's an any-fandom challenge, as long as said fandom includes a teenage girl. But no one said that girl had to start out as a teenager…*Evil grin* There was also the condition that it begins in a dark room and stuff, but it isn't as if whoever issued the challenge is even going to read it…

Now, this takes place more than thirty years in the future, and Isis gets sent back to when she was a teenage High Priestess in ancient Egypt. An ancient Egypt with Mariku (Yami Malik) in it. The (main) pairing is strange, but when don't I write strange pairings? (Well, besides Seto/Yami and Malik/Bakura and Jou/Yugi and-shutting up now)

***

Isis Ishtaruu frowned as the sunlight hit her eyelids, squinting against the glare. She stretched, wincing slightly. "A nice healthy bout of aches and pains," she muttered angrily. "I always feel my day is incomplete without one."

Her body had started aching a lot once she hit forty-too much dancing, she assumed. Sometimes she wished she was a teenager again-not a teenager fighting to save the world from a spirit within her little brother who hated her while at the same time feeling strangely drawn to him (and not actually succeeding until she was twenty-one) but a teenager living in ancient Egypt. She was fighting to save the world then, too, but she didn't live in constant fear and pain all the time. And she wasn't hated by the people she loved.

She gazed into the mirror, running a brush through her black-dyed hair. Back when she was beautiful, she had never noticed or cared about her appearance. Now she cared. Isis sighed.

It wasn't that she had wasted her life-besides being an archaeologist, she used to be a singer and author and actress and dancer and model (she still taught kids and did charity work)-but it hadn't left her with much energy. For a woman in her mid-sixties, she was pretty. But she still felt haggard and fatigued more than half the time.

What would Mariku say if he saw me like this? What I wouldn't give to be seventeen again, living in the palace. With Mariku there-though I suppose it would be better if he didn't hate me

Isis suddenly jumped at the sound of a massive bam.

What was that?! She wondered, somewhere between agitated and intrigued-and bewildered, can't forget bewildered. It sounded like a car crash or something

She pulled an ankle-length coat of rich royal blue velvet over her thin white satin nightdress-one thing I can say about having so many careers, I certainly did gain a lot of money-and went outside.

***

Isis frowned, glancing around but not seeing anybody. Whoever or whatever had made the sound was long gone.

But then, so much of my life is long gone. It was not that she was bitter that those she knew had ended up happy and in love, though she wondered if she was the only strait person she knew besides Anzu and Kaiba, the only ones not paired with somebody. At her most desperate, she had contemplated Kaiba, but she knew he hated her.

Yami and Bakura. Ryou and Malik. Yugi and Jonouchi. Honda and Otogi. Mai and Shizuka. It seemed as if she was the only one alone, and she often wondered why this was.

Gee, Isis, do you think it might have something to do with the fact that the two men you chose to find yourself attracted to happened to be a homicidal maniac who absolutely despised you and a stubborn bastard who also despised you?

{I know what you wish for}

Isis blinked, glancing around again. Had she really heard that? Yes, she was certain she had, but there was no one around. She shuddered in spite of herself. It was chilly, but that wasn't why. She hadn't dealt with Spirits or magic for years now, but she had gone through enough that she would believe anything. "Hello?" she called, her breath creating small white clouds in front of her. "Is anybody there?"

A boy riding on his tricycle looked at her funny, then shook his head and rode off, muttering something about crazy old ladies. Isis paid him no heed. In the old days, she could have traced something in the air and made him skid into a ditch, but she wouldn't have then and she wouldn't now.

{You are a good person} the voice continued, as if she hadn't said anything. It was female, with a strange accent. {You were born with the ability to shake mountains. You could have become like the rest, using your abilities for your own gain. Instead you spent your lifetime helping people, and never asking anything for yourself except the safety of those you care about, never using your magic for yourself even for the most trivial of things such as a broken bone. I suppose it is only right you grant you this request}

"What are you talking about?" Isis whispered, feeling suddenly more chilled than before. How she missed the warm suns of Egypt!

{Back to when you were a seventeen-year-old in Egypt} the voice continued, again acting as if it/she hadn't heard her. It/she was speaking in the tone one would use when repeating your order in a restaurant, though it/she wasn't speaking per say. It was more like a murmur in her head, a whisper in the wind.

{With Mariku there-that is what you called your younger brother's darker half, yes? Not evilI suppose replacing Karimu with him would work. I doubt it would be fitting if everything ended up the disaster it would mean to, though that would take two yearsBut I really like Bakura, and he doesn't appear until just a few months before the end of everythingI thinkMaybe an AU, but I already have two of those in ancient EgyptAh, well. It's my fanfiction after all. Who says I can't bend the rules?}

"Please," Isis implored, her voice still a whisper, her mind filled with bewilderment. "Who are you?"

{I am called Priestess, though my true name is Adularia. Just as you, Isis, are from now on to be called Priestess Aishisu} the voice replied, but Isis barely heard.

Because at that moment her once-supple limbs went completely stiff, her once-keen ears started buzzing, and her once-sharp eyesight blurred. She was spinning in a void of pure darkness, wind roaring in her ears, and those two words echoed again and again through her ears-Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu, Priestess Aishisu

Memories passed before her eyes, as if she were catapulting backwards through time, and an image of the insides of the palace in Egypt was the last thing she saw before she couldn't see a thing.