Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Back To Ancient Egypt ❯ Fields Of Innocence ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Touzoku Ou leaned against the concrete wall, fiddling with the necklace his mother had given him. It vibrated with divine energies, the complex grid of incantations only he could see gleaming with an unearthly luminescence even in the utter darkness he was surrounded by.

"'If you wanted food, you could have just asked,'" he muttered, mimicking Atemu's words disdainfully. "Just because I was idiotic enough to get this damn bracelet on me doesn't mean I'm that stupid."

He had been prisoner at the palace for almost a month (the Egyptian month is thirty days, the Egyptian week is ten days, and the Egyptian year is 365 days. Three weeks in a month, twelve months in a year) and he only had two pomegranates left. So, unsurprisingly, he had to do the natural thing for the King of Thieves-steal.

Unfortunately, it seemed one of those thousands of feathers on the bracelet that Atemu used to control the bracelet that controlled Touzoku Ou was some kind of alarm that alerted Atemu whenever he was stealing (and maybe more, he wouldn't know) and now he was back in the stupid cell (not to mention Atemu took back the food he stole-and it wasn't event that much!)

But at least Atemu hadn't taken the two pomegranates. This war is taking to damn longI'll starve to death before it's over.

He thought of his mother's words in the dream that had obviously been real-how else could he have his mother's prized possession hanging around his neck?

He still thought it was ridiculous that anyone, even his mother, could think he and the Pharaoh could possibly have a relationship. But maybe he had listened a little bit-he couldn't hate.

Seriously. He could still argue, insult, glare, act mad…but he couldn't summon that hatred which should have accompanied his every word-not even when Atemu made him work in the gardens as if he were a mere peasant. But he could still find no peace. Sometimes it felt as if it was all he could do to breathe, to retain his shattered sanity.

He had been a mere child when his entire village was brutally slaughtered-by Akunamukanon's armies, as well. His peoples screams, that blood, every horror he had witnessed would be embedded in his mind forever. No matter how many temples he destroyed, no matter how many soldiers he murdered, no matter how many years passed…he had never been able to get those images out of his mind.

And the darkness wasn't helping.

But really, things could be worse. For one thing, Atemu was using the pain-causing feather less and less (it had gone down to an entire day with only two, not counting the days he had been in the cell) and for some strange reason didn't seem to care about him stealing the paints and papyrus for his paintings.

Which is only because he's probably keeping them for himself anyway, he mused bitterly, wishing the concrete under him was as soft as the sand he usually sat on as he surveyed his surroundings once again. Maybe seeing in the dark isn't such a great ability

He had slept in a lot of places, but never one where it was so cramped he had to sit or stand or his legs would break.

I hate my life soooooo much, he mused, running a hand through his pale hair, before his dark blue eyes fluttered shut and he surrendered to sleep.

***

I hate my life soooooo much, mused Atemu, glancing around the temple where those whose loved ones had gone to war were coming to pray.

Women, children, and some men walked forward with offerings for the gods-honey, figs, nuts, spices, flowers, roast fowl, and much more. Aishisu, Seth, Mariku, Akunadin, Shaadi, and lesser Priests and Priestesses accepted the offerings with murmured blessings.

Atemu realized he might want to get a sixth Priest/ess, but would s/he feel left out without a Millennium Item?

He still didn't understand why the Millennium Ring clung to Touzoku Ou, the golden pointers literally embedding themselves in his flesh even though Atemu was almost certain Touzoku Ou had used no magic to make them do such a thing, but he knew that it would not come off.

When the offerings had been divided equally among the war god/esses Reshep, Onuris, Menhit, and Sekhmet, Aishisu stepped forward to make the final offering.

Chanting ancient prayers, she poured spiced wine into the hieroglyph-covered gold bowl in front of each goddess. Atemu could feel waves of magic pulsing through his High Priestess as she invoked the powers of the gods.

When the four bowls were full, she stood before all four gods and poured the rest into a delicately carved silver plate and lowered to her knees. Raising it over her bowed head, she murmured more prayers. Some were expected ones, for things like victory and justice, but others were in a language none of them knew. They simply assumed it was an older language asking for the same thing.

Except it wasn't an older language. It was, in fact, a language that hadn't been invented yet-Japanese, to be precise. And while she was praying for victory and justice, it was not for the army. It was for Kuru Eruna, Atemu, and Touzoku Ou. And it was a prayer for enlightenment, a prayer for freedom.

I know that the evil sides are back, she mused as she rose back up and placed down the plate of wine, tracing spells in the air as the chanting began. And if Bakura and Yami arehere something bad must have happened in our time.

As the lesser Priestesses began dancing and the Priests chanted, she knew it was time for her to sing a song to gain the gods' blessings. Why are these things always so complicated? she wondered. She began to sing a traditional song of blessing, but another came to mind. Softly at first, though slowly growing louder, she sang,

"I still remember the world
From
the eyes of a child
Slowly those feelings
Were
clouded by what I know now

Where
has my heart gone
An uneven
trade for the real world
Oh I, I want to go back to
Believing
in everything
And knowing
nothing at all

I still remember the sun
Always
warm on my back
Somehow
it seems colder now

Where has my heart gone
Trapped in the eyes of a stranger
I want to go back to
Believing in everything"

She silenced, albeit for a few moments, as Priests and now regular people continued their chants. She could sense curiosity from Mariku and Seth and Atemu and a few others as to where this song had come from.

If only they knew.

The chanting rose, swelling, engulfing the room. Aishisu felt energy surge through her. She threw her arms in the air to let it escape her fingertips, rising upwards and disappearing into the heavens. Take this, gods! Take all my power, all my self! Let this end well!

"Where has my heart gone
An uneven
trade for the real world
Oh I, I want to go back to
Believing
in everything

Away

Where has my heart gone
Trapped in the eyes of a stranger
I want to go back to
Believing in everything

I
still remember…"









Priestess: Personally, I strongly suggest reviewing, even if it's just this once. A hundred questions are answered next chapter, a hundred new ones arise, if I receive three reviews for this I promise I'll write a Seth/Mariku/Aishisu lemon, and the spirits of Kuru Eruna decide they're tired of waiting for Touzoku Ou…