Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Back to the Beginning ❯ All was good...for a while... ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello! My spring break is over…x_x Anyway, here's another chapter for you…and this one is long! yea! So…here we go!

Chapter Two: All is good…for a while

Ryou's father had left the next the next day, he had started traveling more and more often to digs in Egypt. Ryou's mother, April, was a very understanding person, but everyone has their limits. Besides, she had two young children to take care of. (a/n: I don't know how old Amane was when she died, or how old Ryou was, but here she's 6 and Ryou's 10,like I've said) Ryou would cry at night when he heard his parents fighting( when his father was actually home), and his little sister would come and crawl into his bed, afraid as well.

^"Ryou?" she had asked once, her brown eyes soft but convincing. No one could resist her when they looked into those eyes.

"Yeah, Amane?"

"Why do mommy and daddy fight so much? Don't they love each other any more?"

"I don't know sis. But don't worry. I won't let anything happen to you. No matter what."^

Amane snuggled up closer to her brother as they both fell asleep.( Don't even think about it…this is not going to be incest or anything like that) The next morning, Ryou's father had left again, and April had finally had enough. She didn't know where she was going, but she had to leave. She dropped Ryou and Amane off at school, then went back to the house to pack a few things. She was crying as she did this, especially when, in the bedroom, she saw a family picture taken just recently, on one of her husband's rare times at home. She thought about taking it with her, but instead threw it against the wall in a fit of anger. She choose instead to take a small picture of Ryou and Amane, taken about six months ago. She called a friend to ask if she could pick up the children from school, saying simply that she would be caught up in some thing important. Her friend, (we'll call her Kay), gladly agreed, saying it was no trouble. With that done, she gathered her things and looked around once more at the home she had been happy in for so long before leaving and getting into her car and driving off without another look back.

*************************************************************** ***

"Mr. Bakura! Ryou! Please pay attention!"

"I'm sorry, ma'am." Ryou mumbled. "Just make sure it doesn't happen again." The teacher made a small smile before going back to the lesson.

/This is really boring, hikari" How can you stand this?/ Ryou smiled at Bakura's impatience. And also the name that Bakura had started calling him. It made him feel special, and loved. Lately his home life had hadn't been so easy, with his dad gone most of the time, and when he was home the tension between his parents had been so thick he could have cut it with a knife. His friendship with Bakura and his sister's constant cheerfulness kept him from getting too depressed though. Amane was so young, she couldn't really understand what was going on, and Ryou tried to make sure it stayed that way. Amane also liked playing with Bakura, though at first she was kinda afraid of him. But she easily grew to love him like a brother, though he was only a spirit.

~"Its not that easy Bakura. Notice how I keep drifting off?"~

Bakura smirked./"Yes. Well, I wish it would hurry up and get over with."/Ryou smiled.

~So do I.~

School dragged on until, finally, to both Ryou and Bakura's relief, it was over. It was Friday and Ryou was excited. His father was supposed to be coming home for the weekend, and even though things had been tough in their house lately, it was always good to have him home. Boy was he surprised to walk outside and see his father there to pick him up. "Daddy!" he cried, and went to run to him, but stopped suddenly when he saw the look on his face. " Come on Ryou, we need to go pick up your sister." was all he said as he walked to the car. Ryou ran after his father, trying to catch up. "What's wrong daddy? You look sad." " I'll tell you as soon as we pick up your sister. This is something you both need to hear."

*End Chapter Three*

Wow! This is the longest I think I've ever wrote. Go me! *does happy dance* Anyway, please review! Oh, and I'm sorry this focused so much on Ryou and his family instead of Ryou and Bakura, but that will come. I'm just doing some background on his family first. But the big emotional drama will come, I promise! Till next time!