Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Beyond The Darkness ❯ the spy ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The moon cast its eerie iridescent glow upon the silent, shadowed land below. The oppressively black clouds of night devoured the tiny, hopeful light of the stars with glee. Nothing stirred or left any mark upon the darkened land. No wind dared to blow, and all leaves, grasses, mammals, and fowl kept their secrets to themselves upon this night. Only the insects stirred soundlessly, too insignificant to worry, and carried out their activities that have gone unnoticed for millenniums.

One such creature wasn't following in the path of his ancestors. Then again, they weren't really in his blood line at all. Only in the flesh he inhabited, thanks to mist, smoke, and an incantation. `How rude', he fumed silently to himself once again, `to be yanked out of such a pleasant slumber, and slammed into this….this body. If I was in my true form, I'd show him!' This, however, was an angry untruth; for the one who'd bound him into this trapping of flesh was far more powerful than he could ever be. He was one of the weakest of the Shadow Realm spirits, a lowly bottom-dweller. And the one who sent him…he shuddered at the thought of the power emanating from that man…..there was only one who could rival his strength, and that was the demon Shong- … He caught himself; he had almost said that name aloud. He whimpered to himself. Just saying the demon's name brought….terrible consequences. What those consequences where, he did not know, for that particular demon had been banished, imprisoned for so long that everything about it was forgotten. Indeed, the only thing that remained was myth and rumor. And to be forgotten amongst immortals….it had been a truly long time, indeed.

The creature brought himself out of his musings as he neared his destination. He used his…this body to spin himself a dragline and haul himself up the worn, chipped red painted wood and into the abandoned, old barn through a crack in the window. He looked out the window at the moon. He still had a little while before it was time. He spun himself another dragline and went to his web. As much as he hated to admit it, this form was pretty useful. In his web were little bundles wrapped in spun silk. His body took over, and he began to drool at the thought of the juicy blood inside….he picked one up with 2 of his 8 legs and sunk his fangs in. `Mmmm…..fly' his body moaned, glad for once to have time enough for dinner. Not that, being a nether spirit, he needed to eat….but this body craved flesh. `Is this what makes mortals so weak?' he wondered.

He quickly finished draining his supper, then went to a far corner of the barn encased in complete darkness. There were no windows in the back, and the beams of the moon didn't have enough power to reach that far back. Although, during the day, the sun didn't seem to, either. It was almost…otherworldly. This darkness was very soothing to him….it felt like home, almost. Except…it was tainted with his power. He shuddered and easily navigated his was to a fragmented mirror. The looking glass had once been whole, and now lay shattered in pieces. He stood next to the biggest one.

There was no form that materialized on the other side of the fragment, but a voice suddenly filled his mind. /You're late/.

/S-so s-s-sorr-ry, m-master/.

/Never mind. It's time you've made yourself useful. You couldn't locate the boy, or any of the Millenium Items. However, I am feeling generous and will give you one last chance before oblivion. Are you grateful?/

/Y-yes, m-master. What is your command, o powerful one?/

/The boy has been found. You will watch him./

/M-master? M-me? Surely, one of the others-/

/SILENCE!! I will not tolerate any disobedience from you. I have other uses for them. You, however, are the weakest and can be spared for this simple task./

/Y-es, Master/. But his master was already gone, leaving that last thought to echo in his head.

Tbc…….

******************

Pretty weird, ne? I do not have a plan for this story- I'm winging it

Yami: like you *always* do?

Me: no, I usually have a basic plot in mind- I like the story to write itself, to see where

my muse takes me

Yami: you don't even have a title for this one yet

Me: /blushes/ "…."

Yami: and where's my darling aibou at?

Me: he's in the next chapter

Yami: speaking of that, are they always going to be so short?

Me: um…no….i'm just getting started! Cut me a break!!!

Yami: and when will I appear?

Me: I'm working on it.

Yami: and you'd better pair me with my aibou /gives malevolent glare/

Me: …anou….etto….Yami!!!!!!!!!!......grrr…..next chapter will be out shortly!!!!!