Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Breathe (2 AM) ❯ Hourglass Glued to the Table ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey, I don't know if anyone noticed this, but if you look carefully at the prior vignettes, even though they were from person x's point of view, the person often spoke of someone else (e.g., Yugi about Anzu, Mokuba about Seto, Hiroto about Jonouchi, Anzu about Yugi, and Seto about Yugi [and his friends], respectively). For the first time, in this vignette, the character will actually talk about himself, rather than talking about how other people are dealing with the Pharaoh's demise/disappearance.
 
This one's a little longer than the rest, but I hope it wraps up the story nicely. It's the final installment.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Breathe (2 AM)
 
-
 
Part VI: Hourglass Glued to the Table
 
-
 
Yugi's Point of View
 
-
 
-
 
2 AM and I'm still awake writing a song
 
If I put it all down on paper, it's no longer inside of me,
 
Threatening the life it belongs to
 
And I feel like I'm naked in front of a crowd
 
`Cause these words are my diary screaming out loud
 
And I know that you'll use them however you want to
 
-
 
As much as I'd like to go on about how Yami's disappearance affected Anzu, Jonouchi, and the others…I know it won't make the emptiness I feel go away.
 
Yes, it's true that the Pharaoh had a profound impact on everyone he came in contact with—even people like Kaiba, who stubbornly refuse to believe in the concepts of friendship and unity in which the Pharaoh had become, in some way, symbolic. But the impression he had on those closer to him was influenced greatly by the friendship we shared with him.
 
I thought I was ready to be my own person. I wasn't.
 
I mean, what does winning a duel have to do with living as an individual and going about life making decisions for oneself every day? Life is far too multifaceted for all its necessary skills to be encompassed by a single game of Duel Monsters.
 
Before I completed the Millennium Puzzle, I felt like half of a person. I only felt whole while I was with Yami. Our personalities balanced each other out and worked in harmony.
 
But once again, I am half-empty. I have to make do with what I have and attempt to find something—or someone—that will fill the partial void in my chest.
 
Maybe that's what life is about. Finding that companion, that special someone, that will fill in the empty spaces. But in order to know that it's the right person, you have to open your heart to them. Even though it makes you vulnerable, you do it because taking a chance to let someone be in your life is better than being alone forever.
 
-
 
And you can't jump the track; we're like cars on a cable
 
And life's like an hourglass glued to the table
 
No one can find the rewind button now
 
Sing it if you understand
 
And breathe, just breathe
 
Oh, breathe, just breathe
 
-
 
Our time is limited. I am sorry for Yami, whose life was cut short, but am glad to have known him.
 
I will not wait around for another person to complete me. I will seek out him or her, and in the meantime, enjoy being in my friends' company.
 
Carpe diem.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
This is it. It's over. I hope you enjoyed this.
 
Please let me know what you thought of the ending.