Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Bulletproof ❯ Bulletproof ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Bulletproof

```

The festival is not meant to be a representation of an actual Japanese Festival. I am using the North American names. The song Bulletproof is by Blue Rodeo.

```

A bright full moon hung over the Domino City though its beauty went largely unnoticed, as everyone was too involved in their own lives to spare a moment's glance at the night sky. The Sakura Blossom Festival had turned the normally quiet park into a place filled with lights and music, rides and games and packed it full of people who were laughing and having a good time. Though it was not a night of happiness and laughter for everyone. Two young men away from the crowd, down by the water at the far edge of the park, standing close to one another but not quiet touching. The stood in silently, with only the sounds of the gentle lapping waves and the music from the festival that floated on the breeze.

```

Tell me one more time again
Just like I didn't hear you
Like I don't know what's going through your mind, I do
I play the same game too
I know it's hard to stop
Even when you want to

```

The blonde was the first to break the silence with a sigh. He turned and looked at the brunette who stood with his back perfectly rigid staring out across the water. "If you can't give a reason to stay I am leaving."

"I heard you the first time, Joey."

"Then why don't you say something?" Joey asked. "Why don't you give me a reason?"

Seto knew what was going through Joey's mind, for it had been the same game for so long. Threats to leave, threats to not return. It was a game he was also guilty of playing. Each played it to get what they wanted, played it to try control the other. He was sick of playing the game, he wanted to end it but that was not the words that came out of his mouth. "Maybe because I don't have a reason to give you."

```

Now the moon lights up your face
And I can see you're crying
You never liked me to see you cry, it's true
I've done some crying too
The hardest part about it
Is trying to hide it from you

```

"How hard could it be to find one reason?" Joey asked quietly.

Seto turned and looked at Joey, and the light of the moon he could see the tears that filled Joey's honey coloured eyes and threatened to spill over. There seemed to be a lot of crying in their relationship. He had shed his own tears, but tried hard to keep Joey from seeing his tears. There had only been one time that he had ever allowed Joey to see his tears and it had upset the blonde so much that he refused to let it happen again. Though at times like now it was hard to hide his tears. "I have given you reasons in the past, if none of those are good enough to make you stay then I really don't have any reason to give you now."

```

It must be great to be so strong
Never needed anybody's help to carry on
But we're so scared of the silence and the tricks that we use
We're careful and we're cunning, but we're easily bruised
I don't want to lie about it
I'm not bulletproof

```

Joey blinked his eyes and looked at Seto. He wondered how Seto could be so strong when he felt like he was dying inside from the pain. But ever since he knew him, even before they had become lovers, Seto had always been strong. Seto had never had anyone to truly depend, his brother was far too young to lend any real kind of emotional support, and so he had learned to take care of himself at any cost. There was another moment of uncomfortable silence, both men obviously trying hard to find something to say to break the silence.

Seto was the one to break the silence this time. Deciding to turn the game around. "Do you have any reason to want to stay?"

"Maybe not." Joey replied.

Those two simple words were enough to bring pain to Seto's heart adding another bruise to his already battered soul. Everyone thought him to be so strong; that no words could ever penetrate the shell he had built around himself. But it wasn't true, many of the harsh words were like bullets and many of them found their mark upon his heart.

```

Well I finally found the way
To hide from all your glances
'Til the waiting game we play is through
I can, but what's the use
When all I really want to do is hide out with you

```

Seto wondered if it was for the best to just walk away now so he could hide away from that look of sadness and disappointment in Joey's eyes. Then there came the waiting part of the game. They would stay apart for a while, days, perhaps weeks before one would go to the other and the cycle would start all over again.

"If I leave now I don't think I will come back. Not this time." Joey said.

"And I probably wouldn't take you back." Seto responded quietly.

Joey gave no indication that he had heard Seto; he just turned to look back out across the water. He didn't want to run away and hide and wait until this time had passed. All he wanted to do was stay there with Seto and never run away again.

```

It would be great to be so strong
You never needed anybody's help to get along
We're so scared of the silence and the language that we use
Yeah we're careful and we're cunning, but we're easily bruised
I don't want to kid about it
I'm not bulletproof

```

Seto looked at Joey and thought of how strong the blonde was. Joey had never had the easiest of lives and yet he had always seemed to manage on his own. Even though, unlike him, Joey had his friends Joey never really seemed to need their help to get along in life. He was strong and self-assured rising above the tragic life that had almost drowned him.

Joey hated the silence that had once again replaced their attempts at conversation. He feared if they didn't start talking they may never speak again. Though he also feared the words that may be used if they did speak now. Those were the words that cut through him like bullets and bruised his heart. He wanted to admit the truth to Seto, but admitting the truth had never been part of the game. He had always been careful and little bit cunning with his words and his actions, trying to keep the upper hand in their relationship game and he knew that Seto played the same way too.

```

Tell me one more time again
I guess I didn't hear you
I don't know all the secrets that you keep inside
I tried the same thing too
But they all come pouring out of me when I'm talking to you

```

Seto sighed. "I will not take you back if you leave."

Joey had heard Seto the first time, but this time he actually stopped to listen to what Seto was saying. This time it didn't sound like a passing threat but a promise. He looked at Seto only to find the brunette had turned his attention away, though he could still Seto's sparkling cerulean blue eyes and it made him wonder just what the truth was. He knew Seto had secrets that he kept within himself, secrets that Joey wished Seto felt safe enough to share with him. Though he would never push him to talk, after all he had tried to hide all the secrets of his own past. But it hadn't taken long before he opened up and told Seto all about his past and the secrets he had been keeping.

```

It must be great to be so strong
You never needed anybody else's help to carry on
But I'm not waking up each morning with forgiveness I can use
No I'm careless, and I'm cruel, but I'm still easily bruised

```

Joey doubted Seto would ever open up to him, that Seto would need him. Seto was always shutting him out and turning him away. Joey knew it was a little cruel to walk away after such a simple fight, but he could no longer see any other option for it had all begun to hurt just a little too much. "Good-bye, Seto." Joey's voice was sad and he didn't try to hold back his tears as he turned to leave.

```

I'm so tired of lying about it
I'm not bulletproof
No, and I'm not going to lie about it
I'm not bulletproof

```

Seto reached out and grabbed Joey's arm. "Don't go."

"Why? There is no reason for me to stay."

"Yes, there is. I don't want to play these games anymore. I love you."

Joey smiled warmly there was still tears in his eyes but they were no longer tears of sadness. "That's the only reason I could ever need." He moved forward into a warm embrace and pressed his lips against Seto's. "I love you too."

Seto smiled warmly and pulled Joey closer. "Then that is all that matters." He said before capturing Joey's lips with a powerful kiss.

When the kiss ended they smiled at one another, and there was no need for words, no need for any more games. They were in love and that was all that they needed.

The End