Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Cat of the Lilac Eyes ❯ Chapter 6: September ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh! If I did, would I really be sitting here writing fanfictions? Oh, I do own any OC's from DOTSL and any OC's in this story.

Suggestion: I forgot to say this before, but it would be a good idea to read Dragon of the Shadowed Light before this one since there will be some stuff from that one in this story. It's just a suggestion, but it will most likely make things a little more clear.

-C-A-T--O-F--T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S--C-A-T--O-F--T -H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S-

Chapter 6: September
Ashling stares blankly at the mountains from high on her perch in her tree. The river runs loudly behind her, higher than usual from the storm they had the day before. Wind whistles through the trees, making the branch she’s on sway and her hair blow wildly around her. The sky is a dark stormy gray and moisture hangs in the air. All the signs on an on-coming storm.

Ashling’s dressed in a simple black t0shirt and black jeans. In both her ears are black rose earrings. Her nails are also painted black.

“Phoenix!” Malik yells up at her, his own pale blonde hair whipping around him. “Phoenix, get down here! It’s time for dinner!”

Ashling looks down, blue eyes dull, and nods. Then she easily slips off the branch and falls at least ten feet to the ground. Malik almost rushes forward to catch her, but something holds him back. Ashling lands unharmed, her knees bent and her palms flat on the ground. She says nothing as she walks past Malik, her head bent.

Malik frowns. ‘Something’s wrong here. There’s only one way to find out what’s going on.’

0-0-0-0-0

Damian raises an eyebrow. “you mean you actually want to know something about Ashling? What inspired this sudden change and why?”

Riley elbows Damian in the stomach and then sets down the tray she was carrying. “Damian, it’s September. Shut up.” She hops up onto the counter and turns to Malik. “Several years ago there was an accident.” She says softly as Jiro and Max join them. “Ashling’s twin brother went on a trip to Paris with two of his friends. They were driving back home from New York City when they were hit by a drunk driver. His best friend’s dad got a broken arm, one of his best friends got a mild concussion and a few broken ribs, and his other best friend was in a coma for two months…”

“Her brother never made it.” Max whispers, her throat clenching.

Malik’s heart twists in his chest at the very thought of losing someone in his family.

“Ashling always slips into a depression around this time. She’ll wear nothing but black for the next week and won’t laugh or smile.” Jiro says sadly.

Damian nods. “Nothing we do can ever snap her out of it. And even though she doesn’t act it, she mourns him all year. She hasn’t been the same since he passed away.”

“I remember her pulling all sorts of crazy stunts and how she was a complete chatter box once you go to know her.” Max comments. “But now…” He looks seriously at Malik. “Keep a close eye on her. She tends to get really reckless around this time. You don’t have to worry about her driving though, because she won’t go anywhere near a vehicle unless you drag her.”

Damian points out to the people seated after a moment of silence. “Alright, chatter time is over. Get back to work.”

Jiro and Max both immediately rush off to serve people while Riley carefully slips off the counter and rests a hand on Malik’s shoulder, a sad smile on her face.

“Be careful with her Malik. If I hear about you purposely upsetting her, so help me god I will hurt you very badly.” With that warning given, Riley picks back up her tray and goes off to take orders.

0-0-0-0-0

Ashling lays huddled up on her bed shivering, blankets pulled tightly around her. Outside the wind howls loudly, keeping the strawberry blonde-haired girl awake. Malik, however, is fast asleep.

Malik awakens suddenly, feeling someone shaking him. Sitting up, he looks around, surprised when he doesn’t see anyone. However, he does hear something… a small whimpering sound coming from Ashling.

Malik quietly gets up off the blow-up mattress and tip-toes over to Ashling and is shocked to find her crying. Crystal blue watery eyes peer up at him and a soft hiccup issues from her mouth.

Something urges Malik to comfort her; a small part of his mind whispering to him. Kneeling down by the side of the bed, Malik gently strokes her hair, whispering calming words to her.

With the reflexes of a cat, Ashling springs from the bed and into Malik’s arms and clings to his shirt tightly, still shivering and half plagued by nightmares.

Malik looks down at her half in shock and then tugs down her blankets to wrap around them both. Resigning himself to a long night, he leans up against the bed and wraps his arms around her thin frame.

0-0-0-0-0

Two weeks later, Ashling is almost back to normal after two weeks of extreme mood swings. Coming up is Jiro’s birthday and everyone is getting ready for his party.

Finally the weekend arrives and the group heads over to Jiro’s house on Saturday. Ishizu and Mrs. Phoenix have to force Malik to drive Ashling on his motorcycle and Ashling just to ride it. They eventually get to Jiro’s after Malik is nearly squeezed to death by Ashling.

Riley, Max, Kaylie, Holly, and a few of Jiro’s other guy friends- Sam, David, and Bob- are already there.

The first thing they do is begin playing games. Jiro pulls out his Twister game. Kaylie sits out on this one and spins the spinner.

Holly is the first to get out, followed by Bob, David, and Sam. Then Max falls over onto Riley, knocking both of them out of the game. This leaves only Jiro, Malik, and Ashling in the game. Then Jiro falls.

Now Ashling and Malik have to face everyone else making up complex moves for them. Then Malik falls onto Ashling and they both fall over into a heap.

“Looks like a tie.” Jiro comments, ignoring how Ashling slaps Malik a few times trying to get away from him. “Come on, it’s time for pizza!”

After pizza and cake, Jiro opens his presents. Most of his presents consist of card and money, but Holly and Max both found actual presents for him. Holly gave him a few volumes on the Inuyasha manga and Max gave him a few packets of Duel Monster cards.

“Awesome!” Jiro exclaims. “I’ve been looking for these everywhere! Where’d you find them?”

Max grins. “Just a little trading card game shop I came across. I’ll show you later.”

After this they take a bottle of Pepsi and some glasses into the living room for their next game. Then they settle on the floor in a circle.

Jiro goes first. “Alright… I’ve never worn make-up.”

Ashling, Riley, Holly, Kaylie, Damian, and Max all take a gulp of soda.

Sam snickers. “You two have worn make-up before?”

“I was seven and stupid!” Damian exclaims.

“Sam here.” Max defends.

“Oh, you liked it and you know it.” Riley teases her brother. “I’ll go next. I’ve never watched Bob the Builder.”

Bob and David both drink some soda, leaving everyone else weirded out.

“My turn.” Holly says. “I’ve never… umm, what have a never done?” She asks. “Oh! I’ve never disliked Anime!”

Bob, David, Sam, and Max all take a gulp.

The game carries on, with laughter at some of the crazy things people have done.

When they leave at eight, they leave laughing and goofing off. Granted, Ashling is still a little reserved, but they’re gotten a smile and some giggling out of her.

Once home, Ashling collapses on her bed without bothering to change and immediately falls asleep.

-C-A-T--O-F--T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S--C-A-T--O-F-- T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S-

Shiro: I know it's a little short, and I'm sorry. There just wasn't much I could write for this one. The next chapter is longer.

Kaze: (snorts)

Shiro: And if you'll excuse me, I have to take care of the baka wind apparition.

Kaze: Well, it's taken it long enough to sink in to you that I'm an apparition.

Shiro: (threateningly) Don't make me go back to calling you a demon.

Kaze: Bitch.

Shiro: Sorry, I'm more cat than dog. Disappointing, ain't it?

Kitsune: Please ignore them. They haven't fought for a while so they have catching up to do.

Keitaro: (grins cutely) Please review!

REVIEW REPLY

Kaibafan5- Yup, I've been watching Yu-Gi-Oh GX. I watched it once and kinda fell in love with it. I don't like it quite as much as the first YGO, but I enjoy watching it. Syrus is cute! Hope you liked this chapter!