Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Cat of the Lilac Eyes ❯ Chapter 9: Bastet ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh! I would list all the names of the OC's in this story that I own, but that would take far too long. So I'll just say, "I own any OC's in this story". And the plot too. The Thanksgiving Turkey Incident has to be credited to sugar high water uma, who gave me the wonderfully funny idea. THANKS!

-C-A-T--O-F--T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S--C-A-T--O-F-- T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S-

Chapter 9: Bastet

“Watcha doin’?” Ashling asks, jumping onto Malik’s make-shift bed.

“Going through my deck.” Malik replies, pulling out another card Tama slipped into his deck.

Ashling looks at the cards, recognition crossing her face. “Isn’t that the card game that Jiro now has an obsession with?” At Malik’s nod she continues. “Are you any good?”

Malik smirks. “Came in second place in the Battle City tournament in Domino City, Japan. I almost beat Yugi Muto, the King of Games.” He looks at Ashling’s blank face and sighs. “Never mind.”

“Sorry.” Ashling says apologetically. “I’m not really into card games that much. I like watching people play, but I don’t like playing.”

Malik shrugs. “Well, card playing isn’t for everyone.”

The two sit in silence for a few minutes, except for the shuffling of cards.

“So, what do you want?” Malik asks. “You’ve got to be hovering around me for a reason, Phoenix.”

Ashling grins sheepishly. “Well actually, I was hoping you’d help me prank Damian.”

Malik raises an eyebrow. “Don’t you usually work alone?” ‘And why the hell would she ask me of all people?’

“Yes and no.” Ashling hesitantly replies. “Before… before my brother and I would team up against Damian and Riley and other times we’d switch around. Riley has grown out of pranking, so I can’t ask her.”

“Why me?” Malik voices the question he asked himself earlier.

“Well…” Ashling taps her chin with her finger in thought. “Damian said something about you having experience in the world of pranking.” She looks at Malik curiously, waiting for him to either confirm it or deny it.

Finally, Malik nods. “I do.”

Ashling brightens up. “So will you help?”

Malik considers it for a moment, weighing the pros and cons. Then he shrugs. “Why not.”

Ashling cheers and bounces up off the makeshift bed. She quickly retrieves a folder from her desk and sits back down beside Malik with it. “Alright, here are some of my ideas…”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“I’m starting to hate Sunday evenings.” Riley groans, walking past Damian with a tray of snacks and drinks.

Damian smirks. “Contemplating killing me now?”

“Nope. I ran out of good places to hide bodies.” Riley shoots back, walking off to give the people their food and drinks.

“Aww, poor you.”

“You sound so disappointed.” Riley replies.

Holly rolls her eyes at the two, disgusted by their flirting. “What happened to the ‘all work and no play’ concept?”

“Demolished.” Damian replies cheerfully. “It didn’t work out too well. Say, we’re closing up for Thanksgiving, right?”

“You’re the owner.” Holly says, absentmindedly poking the cash register. “It would be nice though.” She looks up at Damian curiously while he messes with a loose thread on his purple vest. “Are you going to Ashling’s?”

“Yeah…”

“ You don’t sound happy about that.” Holly comments.

Damian growls. “He promised he was going to come home for Thanksgiving, but, per usual, he had a change of plans.”

The two are silent for a minute and then Holly looks up and asks, “Do you need a hug?”

Damian sweat drops. “No.”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Monday brings school and with it Ashling and Malik’s prank- er, pranks on Damian. By lunch, Damian is fed up with all the crap that’s happened to him. Lets recap- After taking a shower that morning, he discovered his hair was an interesting shade of bright, florescent pink. Then he was bombarded by a ton of paper balls and airplanes upon walking in first period. Then he discovered his shoe strings got tied together when he stood up to leave first period. In second period he kept tripping over things, but when he looked there was nothing there. Nothing really happened in third except he swore he was hearing voices. Now it’s lunch time and Damian is eyeing Ashling suspiciously, although the girl has an innocent look on her face.

“Nice color, Damian.” Chris snickers, sitting down with his lunch.

The now bright-florescent-pink-haired boy glares at Chris. “Shut up.”

“Don’t you just love it?” Holly asks teasingly, patting Damian on the head.

Damian swats her hand away. “Shut up. It’s not like I meant to dye my hair pink. Someone,” He glares at Ashling. “put dye in my conditioner.”

“Pretty boy.” Malik coughs, trying to hide a smirk at the same time.

Damian looks back and forth between Malik and Ashling. “You… this means war!” He exclaims, jumping up. “Just you two wait! I’ll get you back for this!”

Ashling grins. “All I gotta say is, bring it on!”

“Oh I’ll bring it all right!” Damian yells, lunging for Ashling. Unfortunately or fortunately, however you see it, someone has once again tied Damian’s shoe laces together. Thus, he falls.

The table explodes with laughter and a highly embarrassed Damian peels himself off the floor, pretending to be fascinated with her shoelaces.

Ashling and Malik exchange grins and then quickly look away when they realize what they’re doing. Operation ED has gone without a hitch.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

‘Gym is evil.’ Ashling decides as she and Tabby hit their third lap of jogging on the track. ‘And it hasn’t gotten easier! Just harder and harder! I could have sworn that last year it was four laps for a mile and the years before that it was three! How the hell is it suddenly five?! Are they trying to kill us?’

Breathing heavily as they go, and Ashling starting to trip over her own feet, they make it to the fourth lap.

“Just one- more- after-” A gasp. “-this.” Ashling pants, swallowing air.

Tabby just nods, unable to speak.

They get halfway around the track before Ashling’s brain begins registering that something is wrong. ‘My eyes… my visions blurring.’ Then a blackout slams into her leaving her dizzy after her vision clears. Ashling stumbles and nearly falls over, but manages to catch herself.

Tabby glances worriedly at her friend and gives her an ‘are you okay?’ look.

Ashling nods, now unable to say anything due to lack of breath.

The two almost reach the end when Ashling’s vision swims and then another black out hits her. ‘Oh shit!’ Is her only thought before unconsciousness takes over.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Ashling awakens hours later in a hospital bed. Malik, Damian, and Riley are all in chairs sitting around her. “Hey guys.” She whispers weakly, her throat both sore and dry.

“How are you feeling?” Riley asks immediately, her hazel-green eyes concerned. “Tabby told us you collapsed on the track. What happened?”

Ashling does the only thing she can do in her state; she shrugs.

Riley frowns. “Your throat?” She guesses correctly. “I’ll got get some water for you. Anyone else want anything?”

“Get her soda.” Damian says. “Soda and chocolate for her and some soda and sugar for me!”

Riley rolls her eyes. “Non-healthy junk food addicts.”

Damian winks at her and Riley blushes. “You’d better believe it!”

“I-I’ll be right back.” Riley says as calmly as she can, the blush firmly in place. Then she rushes out of the room, nearly bumping into Ishizu on the way. An apology is hastily make before she goes to get the soda, chocolate, and sugar.

“Feeling better, Ashling?” Ishizu asks politely.

Ashling smiles weakly and shrugs. “Felt better.” She says hoarsely.

“I heard you fainted in gym.” The older Egyptian says cautiously.

Ashling and Malik both frown.

“Ishizu, her throats dry and sore; she can’t talk!” Malik snaps.

Ishizu’s eyes flicker back and forth between Malik and Ashling for a moment. ‘I wonder…’ “Malik, come here for a second.”

Malik looks at his sister with a puzzled look on his face, but gets up and walks over toward her. He gets no further than three feet from Ashling when spots dance in front of his eyes and he stops and takes a step back toward Ashling. On the bed Ashling is now breathing heavily, her eyes tightly shut and her fists clenched in her attempt to block out the painful feeling. Damian looks worriedly at his best friend.

Ishizu catches sight of a strange marking on the back of Ashling’s right hand and walks over to her to get a better look. On her hand is a pale blue circle and a long soft green colored triangle. “This… this is Bastet’s symbol.”

Malik looks at Ishizu and Ashling, lilac eyes wide. Damian just looks horribly confused, as does Ashling.

“Who?” Damian asks for both of them.

“Bastet. The cat goddess.” Ishizu replies, frowning. “But I don’t understand why she has picked a chosen after all this time. And why Ashling? I do know this however,” Ishizu looks over at her brother. “you and Ashling are now bonded together because of this. Bastet’s chosen always has had an Egyptian bonded to her.”

“WHAT?!” All three teens exclaim, although Ashling’s proclamation is more quiet.

Ishizu sighs and closes her eyes. “You two cannot go over three feet away from each other without passing out.”

Ashling and Malik both groan, Ashling wincing and quickly stopping.

‘Well, things can’t get any worse now.’ Malik growls to himself. ‘And this just proves that the gods and goddesses aren’t done screwing with my life yet.’

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Ashling is released from the hospital the next morning and she, Malik, and Ishizu spend the entire day trying to figure out how to deal with this big mess.

Eventually Ishizu comes up with the idea to bind their energies together and create some sort of chain that will allow them to separate. This suggestion gets an odd look from Ashling and a sigh from Malik, who knows he will have to give up his earrings since they’re the one things he always wears.

Ishizu’s suggestion, which is the only one that will work, gets the two Egyptians a multitude of questions from the American girl. After explaining what they can, and still managing to be incredibly vague, Ashling is still confused but understands better.

“So, all I have to do is wear Malik’s earrings all the time, twenty-four seven.” Ashling says skeptically, looking at the cleaned earrings that are now in her hand.

Ishizu nods. “Yes, that is all.” Of course, there’s more to it, but Ishizu can do the rest herself. She waits until Ashling has the earrings in and then weaves a strong chain of shadow magic between the them that will allow them to be separated without either of them collapsing.

“There is one thing.” Ishizu says rather tiredly. “It’s not too bad though. You two have a connection now and you’ll most likely be able to sense each others feelings. It may grow stronger as time goes on.”

Ashling looks at Ishizu like she’s grown two head and Malik hopes that it never happens, as Ashling would then be able to sense Marik’s feelings and then things would get messy.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“I don’t get why it’s such a big deal about this Thanksgiving dinner at your grandmother’s house.” Malik comments, watching Ashling pace around his bed. He doesn’t need the small link between them to feel her nervousness. “Why are you so nervous, anyway?”

Ashling bites her lip. “My grandmother can be a bit… prejudice. She won’t even consider taking into account that you’re half… American? It is American, right?”

Malik nods, still confused.

“It’s your dark skin.” Ashling says. “She won’t hear that it’s because you like the sun too much. And also the whole arranged marriage thing has already set her off.”

“You worry too much, Ashy.” Damian comments from his relaxed position on Ashling’s bed.

Ashling scowls. “Don’t call me that, Damian.”

The now neon-green, orange, and black haired boy just grins and picks up a Yu Yu Hakusho graphic novel off the bedside table and lazily begins reading it.

“Punk…” Ashling grumbles.

“So you’re worried about how she might act?” Malik asks, taking the strawberry blonde girl’s attention away from Damian.

“Not exactly.” Ashling replies. “She’ll act like everything is alright. I’m more worried about what she’ll say.”

“She has a big mouth.” Damian says, earning himself a glare, a smack on the head with the graphic novel, and a “shut up, Damian.”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

The Phoenix’s, the “adopted” Phoenix (Damian), and the two Ishtars arrive at Ashling’s grandmother and grandfather’s house around noon. It turns out that Ashling had worried for good reason, and had to continuously calm down Malik and Damian’s tempers (as her grandmother had insulted Malik’s family and thus insulted Tama and Kiba) several times that afternoon. They leave early, tempers running high and emotions thoroughly tested.

Damian decides to sleep over and winds up collapsed at the foot of Ashling’s bed. Needless to say, they won’t be visiting Ashling’s grandparents for a while.

Over in Domino things have gone… slightly better.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“BAKURA! YUME! MARIK!” Tama screams at the top of her lungs, startling everyone not in the kitchen. “WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WITH THE TURKEY?!”

Several loud crashes and some curses issue from the Muto’s kitchen. Yugi sits there on the couch in the living room ignoring it all, munching on some chips that Tama gave him earlier. Yami sits beside him casting worried glances back toward the kitchen while Grandpa Solomon slowly edges further away from the kitchen door. Bakura, Yume, and Marik run out of the kitchen moments later, cackling evilly.

Yami sweat drops when Tama runs after them and Ryou watches from the door, a small smile on his face.

After many loud thumps, several crashes, tons of cursing, and a bit of shadow magic dabbling, the house finally quiets down. This is not necessarily a good thing, however, as the ‘three nuts’ do all their plotting in silent moments.

Several hours later Tama and Ryou are finally done cooking Thanksgiving dinner, and Ryou gets to go get the yami’s because Tama is still angry with them. Yami hovers around the 5-month-pregnant Yugi, already concerned about his Light’s health. Tama sighs at this and wishes she could beat Yami over the head for his over-protectiveness without inspiring Yugi’s wrath. Yugi is very scary when provoked.

Take for example a few weeks ago when Bakura was teasing him about getting fat. Yami actually felt pity for the Tomb Robber after his hikari was done with him.

So now Yugi, Yami, Grandpa Solomon, Bakura, Yume, and Marik are all sitting down at the dinner table waiting for Ryou and Tama to bring the food over. First comes the side dishes- the green beans, mashed potatoes, macaroni, rolls, etc- and then comes the turkey. Bakura, Yume, and Marik eye the turkey deviously, while Yugi helps himself to the macaroni and cheese.

Then, the most remarkable thing happens that makes everyone stop and stare, speechless. The turkey, the headless roasted turkey, stands up on it’s drumsticks and starts dancing. Yes, dancing.

Tama twitches and drops the carving knife, which she was just about to use to plunge into said turkey.

The Darks crack up laughing when the youngest light picks the carving knife back up and attempts to stab the turkey to keep it from doing the can-can, as it had just been doing the cha-cha.

Ryou, Yami, and Grandpa Solomon all have to hide their amusement at the three yami’s rather cleaver and harmless prank. And then the turkey starts doing the moonwalk and all hope of not laughing is lost. Tama twitches and Yugi stares at his macaroni and cheese like it’s the most fascinating thing in the world.

Tama curses when the turkey jumps off the table (actually it’s more like ‘it hobbles off the table’, but lets not get technical with this) and takes off running for the door, which is strangely open.

Tama twitches again and calmly places the knife down. “Excuse me for a moment.” She says, her voice dangerously calm. Yami, Ryou, and Grandpa Solomon watch as she runs out the door after the turkey, yelling at it loudly.

She returns less than ten minutes later with the now beat up turkey and drops it back onto it’s plate in the middle of the table. “Enjoy.”

Yugi looks up from his macaroni and turns green. “I think I’m going to be sick.” He murmurs, before rushing off to the bathroom.

Grandpa Solomon pats Yami on the back sympathetically when the father-to-be sighs loudly.

“I’d better go make sure he’s alright.” The once-ancient spirit murmurs, getting up.

“Wanna take some turkey to him?” Bakura asks, grinning.

Yami glares at the silvery-white haired boy. “No. Shut up Tomb Robber or I’ll let Yugi at you again.”

Bakura winces at the memory and falls silent.

-(You know, I believe that’s the first time that Yami has ever managed to shut him up.)- Tama comments, amused.

-‘It’s the first time anyone has shut him up.’-

Tama sends a wave of agreement to her fellow Light. -(True)-

-C-A-T--O-F--T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S--C-A-T--O-F- -T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S-

Shiro: The ending's not the best in the world and I'm not all that happy with it, but I got this posted so I'm happy.

Keitaro: A hormonal Yugi, that's something I never want to see.

Shiro: A hormonal Yugi who can use shadow magic, has an overprotective yami, and a strange obsession for macaroni.

Kitsune: Why macaroni?

Shiro: I dunno. I think I was hungry... or eating it... or something.

Bast: (to Kyle) I bet she was hungry.

Kyle: (nods in agreement)

Shiro: (eyes the two suspiciously) So anyway, I hope you liked this chapter. Please review!

Keitaro: (cheerfully) Any flames will be immediately laughed at. Constructive criticism is appreciated! And ordinary/insane/fun reviews are very much loved!


Next Chapter- Chapter 10: Christmas
Here we have Malik's birthday and Christmas! Yeah! Chaos can be expected when Damian winds up staying with the Phoenix's for the holiday.