Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Cat of the Lilac Eyes ❯ chapter 11: January ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shiro: I'm sorry for the long wait! I was having a little trouble finding a decent ending for this chapter without it being too weird. I finally got it written and then found time to get it all typed up and here we are! I hope there's not too many mistakes...

Kyle: Shiro doesn't own Yu-Gi-Oh. She does own any OC's used in this story. She is writing this for pure enjoyment and nothing less or more. Oh! And they whole "New Years Incident" must be credited to sugar high water uma, who has once again come up with a funny idea that I could not resist using! Thank you so so so so so so much!

-C-A-T--O-F--T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S--C-A-T--O-F--T- H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S-

Chapter 11: January

Tama,

I think I’m fine… something’s been bothering me a bit lately, but I’m not sure what. Phoenix is making me watch some New Years thing where this ball drops to celebrate the New Year or something. I hope Marik is behaving and not causing too much trouble.

-Malik

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Tama glances at Yume in annoying, as her yami was reading over her shoulder. Again.

“They drop a ball? What’s the point of that?” Yume asks somewhat boredly.

Tama sighs. “It’s something of an American tradition to welcome the New Year. I’m not quite sure about it myself.”

Yume blinks. “Okay then. Bye.” She says, bouncing off to find Bakura and Marik.

Tama wearily watches her yami, wondering what she could possibly be plotting this time.

The second youngest Light doesn’t find out what Yume’s plot was until midnight of the first of January- the start of the New Year.

“Tama! Ryou! Wake up!” Yume hisses, shaking her hikari’s shoulder. “Come on you two, wake up! I said WAKE UP RA-DAMN IT!”

Ryou and Tama jump up out of bed and look wide-eyed around the room. Tama groans when she sees it’s just Yume.

“Urg… go away, Yume.” Tama mumbles, falling back onto her pillow.

“Sorry, can’t!” Yume replies. “Me and Bakura and Marik want you to come with us to see something! You’ve got to come!”

-‘They’ll bug us for the rest of the night if we don’t get up.’- Ryou sleepily says.

-(Fine, lets amuse them like we always do. I always knew I’d regret letting her hang out with Marik too long. She’s gone and turned all evil on me again.)-

Ryou sweat drops. -‘You mean she hasn’t always been like this?’-

-(No, not always. Now lets get up before Yume starts fidgeting and drags us to wherever it is the thing is that she wants us to see.)-

The two Lights get up and obediently follow Yume to Bakura and Marik, and then they follow them outside after grabbing their coats.

Ryou yawns. “What’s going on?” He asks.

Bakura, Marik, and Yume say nothing as they get closer to the main road where screaming can be heard.

“What the bloody hell?” Tama asks, rubbing her eyes in shock, for rolling and bouncing down the road is a giant shimmering ball of shadow magic.

You can just imagine the two hikari’s reactions. Well, it’s more like Tama’s reaction as Ryou’s the more innocent hikari and is mainly at a loss of words. Tama however, has no problem finding the words to say how she feels about all of this, and poor Ryou has to hold her back when she attempts to attack the ‘three nuts’.

What a good start to a New Year, huh?

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“IT’S SNOWING!” are the first two words that Malik hears early on a cold Saturday morning in January.

“Wake up, Ishtar! It’s snowing! The others are coming over for our annual Day of First Snow!” Ashling yells excitably, running around the room trying to find her gloves and scarf.

Malik groans and tugs the covers up over his head only to have them ripped away.

“Ishtar, no sleeping! Time to get up!” Ashling says.

Malik cracks open one lilac eye and sleepily glares at Ashling. “Shut up, Phoenix.”

Ashling pouts, but then grins when an idea pops into her head. “Mm’kay.” She says, opening the door and walking out.

Malik sighs and grabs his blankets and snuggles back up in them. He’s almost asleep when Ashling comes back in with a large cup of water and dumps it on him.

Malik shrieks loudly and jumps up, his hair and the top of his shirt soaking wet. “PHOENIX!”

Ashling just grins and sets the cup down. “Aww, is the poor baby all wet?”

Malik growls and then tackles Ashling to the ground. Ashling yelps loudly as her back hit’s the ground and her head narrowly misses her dresser.

“Malik! Ashling!” Cheyenne yells. “Your weird freaks of friends are here for your stupid ‘first snow’ crap!”

Neither of them move.

“Hey Ishtar, you mind getting off? Damian’s going to burst in here any second an-”

Ashling doesn’t get a chance to finish as Damian does exactly as Ashling said.

The now once-again purple and black haired boy whistles, making Riley, who is right behind him, smack him in the head.

Malik and Ashling quickly try to scramble away from each other, but Ashling’s earrings get caught by Malik’s sleeve.

“Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow…” Ashling chants while Malik tries to get the earring unhung.”

Jiro raises an eyebrow at the state of the room. “What the hell have you two been doing?”

“I had to wake him up somehow!” Ashling defends, wincing. “OW! Ishtar, that hurt!”

“I got it undone, didn’t I?” Malik retorts, finally able to stand up and get away from Ashling.

Ashling stands up as well, frowning at her now wet clothes. “I’m all wet.”

“If you hadn’t dumped water on me then you wouldn’t be wet, now would you?” Malik says, glaring half-heartedly at the girl.

Ashling turns red, half from embarrassment and half from anger.

Damian snickers. “He’s got you there, Ash! Now go and get dressed! We’ve got a super fun day of snow ahead of us! There’s two feet of good packing snow out there!”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Ashling sits high up in a pine tree, a large garbage bag of snow hanging off a branch beside her. A carefully packed snowball is in each of her hands. A flash of black and purple catches her attention. ‘There!’ Ashling’s eyes zero in on Damian’s form and then she throws the two snowballs at him. Damian curses when they hit him in the head and spins around, scooping up a handful of snow as he does so. He spots Ashling up in the tree and narrows his eyes. Ashling grins and waves down at him.

-THUNK!-

Ashling almost loses her balance when she’s hit from behind by a snowball. She turns around to see Riley smirking with a snowball in her hand. Ashling yelps in surprise for the second time that day when Riley shoves snow into her coat.

“Cold!” She shivers, one hand reaching for her bag of snow. She looks back when she can’t find it and finds that Jiro has it. “If you shove that down my coat I’ll- EEEEPPP! COLD!” She shrieks, brushing snow out of her face.

Thinking quickly, Ashling slips quickly from branch to branch out of the tree until she’s down on the ground. Then she runs and takes cover behind some bushes, only to bump right into Malik.

“Ow…” They both mutter, rubbing their foreheads.

“Sorry Malik.” Ashling apologizes. “Riley and Jiro chasesd me out of my tree.”

“Doesn’t bother me.” Malik replies, picking up a snowball. “Quiet, someone’s coming.”

Ashling quickly makes a snowball of her own, peeking through the bushes.

A minute passes and neither Ashling nor Malik see anyone through the bushes that they’re hiding behind.

“That’s strange,” Malik murmurs. “I could have sworn that someone was coming.”

Then the two are suddenly jerked backwards and snow is shoved down the back of their coats.

“DAMIAN!!!” Ashling screams angrily. “I’m going to kill you!”

“Ooo! Death by snowballs! I’m so scared!” Damian says mockingly as Ashling scrambles to her feet with a snowball in her hand. She throws it blinding and smirks when it hits him in the face.

“SNOW WAR!” Max yells as loudly as he can before pitching a snowball at Kaylie.

An all-out war soon commences.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Over in Domino the yami’s have begun a snowball fight of their own.

“Bombs away!” Bakura cackles, throwing at snowball at the side of an oncoming vehicle. The snowball hit’s the side of the car with a ‘thunk’ and splatters.

-SCREEEEECH!-

“You stupid kids! What do you think you’re doing?!”

“BOLT!” Yume yells, abandoning their ‘snow fort’ to run off into the park. Bakura and Marik soon follow.

Back at the Bakura household, Tama and Ryou are sitting outside all bundled up and are sipping hot chocolate while watching the snow fall.

“First decent snowfall…” Tama breaths contentedly.

Ryou nods in agreement. “And Bakura, Yume, and Marik are using it to terrorize Domino City.”

“Did you expect them to do otherwise?” Tama asks, poking one of the large marshmallows in her cup. “This is possibly their favorite season because they can get away with so much. We’re just lucky we haven’t gotten any phone calls from anyone and that they haven’t sent anyone to the Shadow Realm.” She says, just as the phone rings inside. Tama sighs. “Spoke to soon…” The youngest Light hands her cup to the paler hikari and then scampers off inside.

Ryou sits there watching the snow drift down until Tama returns five minutes later.

“Who was it?” Ryou asks wearily, hoping against all reason that the call wasn’t about the three troublemaking Darks.

Tama smiles and takes her cup from him. “That was Yugi calling to invite us to his and Yami’s wedding. They’re doing a short ceremony tomorrow. Short, simple, and plain. Téa will be so disappointed.”

Ryou nods. “She will, won’t she? She’s been planning it ever since we found out that Yugi’s pregnant.”

“I think she started planning when we found out Mana turned Yugi into a girl.” Tama says.

Ryou laughs before taking a sip of his hot chocolate. He finishes it off before speaking again. “She probably has.”

Chuckling at the thought, Tama sits down beside Ryou and rests her head on his shoulder. “So peaceful…”

Then the yami’s go running by with bewitched snowballs flying after them and a mob of snowball wielding kids chasing them. Ryou and Tama sweat drop.

“Looks like Yugi and Yami got to them first.” Tama says once she finds her voice. “And a mob of angry kids.”

“Better them than us.”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“…happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Ashling, happy birthday to you!” All of Ashling’s friends plus Malik sing at the lunch table at school, attracting beyond too much attention.

Ashling blushes darkly and tries to duck under the table, but Damian prevents her from doing so.

“Couldn’t you all have waited until tonight at the bowling ally or my house?” Ashling grumbles, resisting the urge to smack all of her friends in the head and then go back and beat Damian up as this was all his idea. “Is it your alls goal in life to fully and completely embarrass me before I graduate this year?” She gets grins from her friends and a smirk from Malik and then sighs heavily. “Well if that’s how it’s going to be…” She smirks at Damian. As I said before, it was him who set the whole thing up. Then she takes a deep breath and yells, “Damian still sleeps with his purple teddy bear!”

Damian’s grin turns to one of mixed surprise, horror, and embarrassment. “Ashling!” He hisses. “I told you not to tell anyone that!”

The others at the table laugh and Damian turns bright red.

“You deserve it.” Ashling says, her embarrassment forgotten.

Damian groans and hits his heat against the table and leaves it there.

Riley pats him on the back comfortingly. “It’s alright, Damian.” She says. “We don’t thing any less of you.”

“Or maybe we do and we just don’t want to hurt your feelings by telling you.” Max says with a grin. “Relax, Damian. Everyone will have forgotten all about this by tomorrow because someone will have done something more stupid than what Ashling just shouted.”

Damian grumbles something under his breath.

“Sorry, what was that?” Max asks.

“I said that Snuffles isn’t stupid!” Damian grumbles, lifting his head up slightly off the table.

The others sweat drop at knowing Damian has named his purple teddy.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Over in Domino on January 25th, Joey is finally celebrating his birthday in the evening. He and the others are currently at the park where the pond has finally frozen over so they can go ice skating. Even Yugi is out on the ice, although he’s having a lot of trouble keeping his balance.

Bakura, Yume, and Yami have much better balance this year. Strangely, Marik is not anywhere to be seen, which is very unusual.

Later they all go over to Joey and Serenity’s apartment to finish up his birthday party with pizza, cake, and ice cream. Marik is still MIA.

“Okay! Present time!” Tama exclaims after they clear all the food away. “Do you have the card, Yugi?”

Yugi nods. “Yeah. Yami, can you get it out of my coat please.” He asks his husband.

“Of course, aibou.” Yami replies, standing up.

Joey energetically bounces slightly, excited about the prospect of presents.

“Here you go, Joey.” Yami says, handing the card to the birthday boy.

Joey takes the card and reads it, laughing when he finds it to be a joke card involving a bad cat. “Darn cat… man, thanks guys.”

Duke grins. “Well if we had known you’d just like the card then we wouldn’t have gone out and got a gift for you!”

“Ha ha, very funny!” Joey says. “C’mon you guys, what did ya get me?”

Téa carefully pulls a box out from under her coat, which has been laying beside her this whole time. “This is it… it’s not just from all of us here though. Kiba and Damian both chipped in.”

Joey raises an eyebrow. “You guys shouldn’t spend so much on me.”

Téa rolls her eyes. ‘We didn’t…’ She thinks as she hands the small box to Joey. “Just open it.”

Everyone holds their breath as Joey opens the box and looks puzzled at the keys.

“What is…” The blonde’s eyes widen. “No way!” He exclaims, catching sight of the Chevrolet symbol.

Serenity pulls back the window curtains so Joey can look down and see his new red Chevrolet truck.

“And truthfully it wasn’t that much.” Tama says. “There was a raffle of sorts and we all won it for you.”

Joe looks around at his friends, not knowing who to hug first. “Thanks guys. You don’t know how much dis means ta me. So,” He grins and holds up his keys. “who wants ta go for a ride?”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Later that evening when Serenity is out getting groceries Joey gets a rather unexpected guest.

The now 19-year-old blonde is sitting there working on his homework when the doorbell rings. He gets up and curses when he trips over the rug Serenity insisted on putting in the living room. The doorbell rings again and Joey yells, “I’m coming!” He once again tries to get up and succeeds this time. Then he walks over to the door and runs a hand through his hair before opening the door.

Mai stands there dressed in her usual outfit, her hands behind her back.

Joey looks at her in surprise for a moment and then remembers his manners and invites her in. Mai declines, saying she’s only going to be there for a minute.

“I just wanted to wish you happy birthday and… to give you this.” The violet-eyed blonde says, handing Joey a box about an inch thick. “So, happy birthday, Joey. And… I’ll see you later. Maybe.” She gives him a half-hearted smile and then walks down the hall away from Joey.

Moments after she leaves Joey knocks himself out of his stupor and closes the door while examining the gift. His feet take him back over to the couch, making sure to step over the edge of the rug. He sits back down as he begins the gently unwrap the present. His mind completely comes out of it’s haze when he has the whole thing uncovered. A box of rather expensive, but delicious chocolates sits on his lap with a small note.

Love, me.

Underneath that is a phone number. Mai’s phone number.

Joey smiles. ‘Looks like I have a chance.’

The door opens and Serenity steps in, struggling with the bags of groceries she has. “Joey?” She gently calls. “Joey, can you help me?”

Joey jumps, surprised at his sister’s sudden entrance. “Yeah, I’m coming.” He says, setting the box down on the table beside his homework.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Back over in Virginia, Holly and Ashling are in the living room with their rock music cranked up while they work on some project for school.

The doorbell rings at a time when they’re both in the middle of gluing something.

“Ishtar!” Ashling yells over the music. “Can you please get the door? Mine and Holly’s hands are glues at the moment!”

Malik walks out of the kitchen where he was making himself a snack. “Turn down the music first.”

Ashling frowns and uses her foot to turn the music down. “There.”

Malik rolls his eyes and then opens the door, falling into a shocked state when he sees who it is.

“HIKARI-PRETTY!!!” (insert little hearts floating everywhere)

Holly and Ashling look up from their project when they hear this loud squeal. They both sweat drop when the tall, spiky-haired blonde boy standing at the door tackles Malik to the floor.

“OW! Marik! Get off!” Malik yells. Apparently his shock has worn off.

Ishizu comes downstairs when she hears the yell. “Malik, what on ear- Marik?! What are you doing here?”

Marik sits up with a struggling Malik. “Mariku came to see his hikari-pretty!”

“Will you let go?!” Malik yells before he’s finally able to escape from Marik’s grip.

Marik’s darker lilac eyes tear up and he sniffles and then begins crying. “Hikari-pretty doesn’t love Mariku any more!”

Ishizu, Malik, and Ashling sweat drop and Cheyenne looks at them, from her spot on the stairs, like they’re all crazy. Which they are. Especially Holly who giggles and says, “Aww! He’s so kawaii!”

‘Oh Ra no…’ Malik groans in his mind. ‘My worst nightmare has come true! Marik and Holly meeting!’

-C-A-T--O-F--T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S--C-A-T-- O-F--T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S-

Shiro: (grins) Well, I had to get Marik in there somehow. And you know I was dying to test out what would happen if you put Holly and Marik in the same room.

Kaze: (grumbles) The same damn thing that happens when you put you and Keitaro in the same room as each other and sugar.

Shiro: Hmm... (thinks of the possibilities)

Kaze: Crossbreed, I swear if you even think about putting that in I will personally see to it that you die.

Shiro: But killing people is so messy... unless it's done by poison.

Kaze: How about I choke you to death.

Shiro: I dunno. Hey Kitsune, how messy do you think that'd be?

Kitsune: (looks up from her book) I refuse to get involved with this conversation.

Shiro: (pouts) Aww, you're no fun. Oh well. Hope you all liked this chapter!

REVIEW REPLY:

MizuRyu- Well, I'm glad you liked the pranks! The whole 'dancing turkey thing' wasn't really my idea though. One of my reviewers on fanfiction.net- sugar high water uma- gave me that idea. She also gave me the whole "New Years" incident idea. Thanks for reviewing!

Next chapter- Chapter 12: Suma
We fast forward to the month of April.