Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Cat of the Lilac Eyes ❯ Chapter 13: Peace ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shiro: Here's chapter 13 for you all. This actually gets me caught up on both ff.net and here on mediaminer. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: If you still think that I own Yu-Gi-Oh by this point in the story, then that's a sad sad thing. I do own all OC's in this story and the plot.

-C-A-T--O-F--T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S--C-A-T--O-F--T- H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S-

Chapter 13: Peace

Things have calmed down in both Domino City and Virginia. The internet at the Phoenix’s is still down and Malik and Ashling haven’t had time to go to the library, so Malik, Ishizu, and Marik haven’t heard about Suma yet.

Both Ashling and Malik have noticed their bond growing stronger. It’s now to the point they can always feel one another’s emotions, where before it was just particularly strong emotions, For Ashling there’s sometimes a nagging feeling; a third emotion that’s in the back of her mind. She determinedly ignores it.

The two can force the link into a strained submission, which makes it so they can separate their feelings, and they find it doesn’t take as much concentration as they thought.

It’s now a Saturday in March, and Ashling, Holly, Riley, and Kaylie are finally having the sleepover that they’ve been planning for weeks. The four girls are crowded into the downstairs living room already wearing their pajama’s despite the fact that it’s only five o’clock.

Ashling’s wearing Curious George pajama bottoms and an oversized blue t-shirt. Holly’s wearing black pajama’s with frogs decorating it. Riley’s wearing soft purple colored pants and a black t-shirt. Kaylie’s wearing a pale blue shirt that reads “Fluffy’s Princess” with a picture of Sesshoumaru on it and dark blue pants with crescent moons decorating them.

Stacked up neatly beside the PS2 are tons of Anime videos. Of course, they won’t get to all of them, but they’re going to try.

“…and then Fluffy can be like, ‘Noooooo!’ and then get all serious again and point at Inuyasha and say, ‘You will die!’” Kaylie says energetically.

The other three girls laugh at Kaylie’s idea for a story.

“So Holly,” Kaylie starts, having thought of a new subject. “what’s with your interest in Malik’s brother?”

Holly sighs. “I really don’t know.” She says, sounding a little disappointed. “He’s just… he’s kind of like me, I guess. The whole extreme-mood-swing-bouncy-hyperactivity-ness thing. And he’s cute.” She adds as an afterthought.

“Why thank you!” Marik comments, popping up over the couch. Riley and Kaylie jump, Ashling hisses in surprise, and Holly squeals, looking pleadingly at Ashling who sighs.

“Go on…”

“Yay!” Holly exclaims, jumping up and running around the couch to glomp Marik.

The other three, and Malik who’s coming down the stairs to see what trouble Marik is causing, sweat drop at the sigh. (Holly’s about a foot shorter than Marik, so she’s hugging him around his middle instead of around the neck like she does to Damian.)

“Phoenix, your friend is insane.” Malik comments.

“And your brother is insane. Is that not worse?” Ashling retorts easily. “And anyway, he looks like he could care less.”

Marik smirks. “I feel loved now.” He comments, mock-glaring at his hikari, who snorts.

“Holly, let go of him and come back over here.” Riley says, patting the spot beside her.

Both Holly and Marik pout.

“C’mon, Hol. We need to get started on these Anime videos.” Ashling says, picking up one of the DNAngel DVD’s. “You get to see Dark and eventually Krad!”

Holly considers this for a moment and then shakes her head ‘no’. “Nuh-uh.”

The others once again sweat drop.

Eventually, Ashling and Malik work together to tug the two apart. Then Malik drags Marik upstairs and Ashling pulls Holly back over to their “area”.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

After watching a few of their Anime DVD’s, the girls decide to take a break. Ashling gets up and makes popcorn while Riley, Holly, and Kaylie vote on what game to play. They choose the all-time classic- Truth or Dare.

Ashling returns with a large bowl of popcorn and the game begins.

“I’ll start.” Kaylie says, handing Riley a pen and a pad of paper so she can record everything. “Holly, truth or dare?”

“Dare.” Holly replies, grabbing a handful of popcorn and eating it.

Kaylie smirks. “Alright, I dare you to run upstairs and give Marik a kiss.”

Holly shrugs and swallows the popcorn. “Okay, I will.”

Ashling whistles. “Go Holly!”

The reddish-brown haired girl smiles at Ashling and stands up. Then she walks out of their area and goes up the stairs. She returns less than five minutes later with a blush firmly in place.

Riley, Ashling, and Kaylie laugh, not wanting to know what Marik did to embarrass their friend.

“Okay Riley.” Holly says, sitting down. “Truth or dare?”

“Truth.” Riley replies.

Holly grins, already knowing what she’s going to say. “Alright, it’s your funeral. Is it try that you have a crush on Damian and if so, for how long?”

Riley’s face turns bright red. “Yes. Ever since sixth grade…”

All three of the other girls start giggling.

“Riley and Dami’ sittin’ in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” Ashling sings. Then Holly and Kaylie both join in with the last bit, “First comes love! Then comes marriage! Then comes Dami’ with a baby carriage!”

The three further collapse into giggles and Riley turns an even brighter shade of red.

“Ashling, your turn.” Riley says, half-irritably once the giggling has stopped. “Truth or dare?”

“Dare.” Ashling responds, still trying to control herself. “Do your worst!”

Riley smiles almost evilly. “Oh trust me- I will.” She wracks her brain for the perfect dare for Ashling. “I’ve got it.”

Ashling subconsciously gulps, not at all liking the look in Riley’s eyes.

“For the rest of the night and all day tomorrow until midnight, I dare you to flirt with Malik whenever he’s in the room.”

Silence.

“What!?” Ashling shrieks loudly.

Shh!” Holly, Riley, and Kaylie automatically hiss.

Riley sits back, satisfied with what she’s come up with. “You heard me.”

“Vixen,” Ashling starts, using Riley’s old nickname. “you are one psychotically evil person.”

“Aren’t I just?” Riley replies, the picture of innocence.

“Man,” Kaylie whispers to Holly. “I never knew Riley could be so… so…”

“Evil.” Holly supplies. “Yeah, neither did I.”

The game continues for a while until they decide it’s time to watch more Anime DVD’s.

Halfway through the 3rd Inuyasha movie Mr. Phoenix comes home with pizza from Pizza Hut. The four girls files into the kitchen to get the pizza and then go back into the living room and start watching the movie again.

Then Malik and Marik come downstairs and Ashling and Holly both blush. Ashling because of her dare and Holly because Marik winked at her.

Riley and Kaylie exchange amused glances, both thinking the same thing. ‘This is going to be good.’

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Riley laughs at Ashling’s attempts at flirting when the younger blonde tosses her a pleading look.

“Phoenix, are you feeling alright?” Malik finally asks, annoyed by her behavior. He sets his slice of cheese pizza down on his plate. “You’re acting weirder than usual.”

Ashling glares at Riley. “It’s her fault! She dared me to flirt with yo-” Her eyes go wide and she claps her hands over her mouth. ‘Shit!’

Riley sighs. “Ash, you go realize that you’re not suppose to tell him.”

Malik raises an eyebrow. “So that’s what’s been going on. You were playing Truth or Dare.” ‘I think I’m starting to hate that game…’

A wave of amusement washes over Ashling. ‘He thinks it’s funny, does he?’

Annoyance. Half-anger.

Malik’s eyes widen for a moment. ‘I thought I closed off the link! Damn, it’s growing stronger already?!’

Marik looks back and forth between his hikari and the strange strawberry blonde girl. ‘What’s going on?’ He studies Ashling for a moment. ‘She likes hikari-pretty? My hikari-pretty.’ His eyes widen when he catches sight of the symbol on the back of her hand. ‘She’s Bastet’s chosen?! But Bastet hasn’t chosen anyone in way over 3000 years!’ He narrows his eyes. ‘Mariku no like this. Not at all. She’s too close to my hikari.’

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“You like him, don’t you?” Riley asks early the next morning before anyone else is awake.

“Who?” Ashling questions sleepily, yawning.

Riley “accidentally” throws her pillow and it smacks Ashling in the head, waking her up. “I’m talking about Malik, Ash.”

Ashling looks at Riley like she’s insane. ‘How- how can she always tell?!’ “What the heck are you talking about, Riley? Me, like Ishtar?” She snorts. “Yeah right.”

Riley gives Ashling a knowing look. “Ash, don’t lie to me.”

‘Damn human lie detector…’

“I could tell when you were going through with your dare that you really didn’t mind.” Riley continues. “Care to explain why you’re so fixated on hating the poor boy? He hasn’t done anything except live here.”

Ashling hesitates for a moment before she says, “Ri, you’re going to completely flip out when I tell you this…” She then goes on to explain why the Ishtar’s are staying with them and how both her and Malik haven’t gotten along from the start.

Riley sits there and listens, shocked by the news. ‘All this time and she never told me… I figured they hated one another for a reason. Well, they have a reason, it’s just not a very good one.’ “And… now?” She prods.

Ashling sighs heavily. “I really don’t know. I mean, we get along pretty well now and he’s really funny…”

Riley raises an eyebrow when Ashling begins rambling like she always does when she’s starting to get distressed. ‘Damn, she’s got it bad. It’s like Holly’s obsession with Marik times ten, but at least Ash knows Malik better than Holly knows Marik.’ “Ash,” She interrupts her friend. “you’ve got it bad.” She informs her.

Ashling turns red and looks away.

Neither of them notice Malik sitting on the stairs listening in.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Two days later Ashling is walking across the living room on her way to the kitchen when she bumps into her cat. Sleepily she murmurs a “sorry boy”, not at all expected the flame-point Himalayan cat to reply.

“Hey lass, watch where you be going!” The cat snaps in an Irish accent.

Ashling freezes, her stormy blue eyes widening. She slowly turns to face her cat, fearing for her sanity. “W-what?”

“I said to watch where you be going! What are you, deaf?” He asks, miffed.

Ashling grips the back of the couch for stability. “I- I don’t feel so well.” She mutters, suspiciously eying her cat. “This has to be a dream. Cat’s can’t talk!”

“That’s where you be wrong, lass,” The cat says, jumping up onto the back of the couch. “It be you humans that can’t talk properly! So it should be me who’s all confused.”

“I’m not insane.” Ashling mutters, closing her eyes. “The cat isn’t talking. La la la, I can’t hear anything! I’m not going insane!”

“Hey lass! Lass!”

Ashling ignores her cat, choosing to continue muttering under her breath with her eyes closed and her hands clutching the back of the couch for support.

“Alright then, lass. You asked for it.” The cat says, extending his claws.

Ashling yelps and then peers down at the shallow cut, her eyes watering. “Mou, what was that for?!”

“Ashling, you freak.” Cheyenne says, coming down the stairs dressed in a pink shirt and pale blue jeans. “Stop meowing and crap, the cat can’t understand you.”

Both Ashling and the cat hiss at Cheyenne.

Ashling’s sister gives Ashling a weird look before putting on her shoes. “Tell mom I’m going out.” She says before opening the door and leaving without a backwards glance.

Ashling sighs and looks down at her cat. “You know what, Allan? I think we’re going to get along just fine.”

Allan purrs. “Yes we shall. Although there are a few things that I’d like to see changed.”

Ashling chuckles and picks Allan up, allowing him to rest comfortably in her arms. “I’m sure there is. Lets hear them.”

“Well first of all, I want that abomination of a creature out of my house.” Allan says, inclining his head toward the year-old seal-point Siamese sleeping in the catnip-ridden cat bed.

“Sorry boy, he’s here to stay.” Ashling says apologetically. “I can rig up something for my room so that you have a safe place if you’d like.”

“No, he gets in there.” Allan replies, annoyed. “Next,…”

Ashling continues listening in amusement as the cat’s wanted changes grow steadily more ridiculous.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“This isn’t going to work!” Malik hisses to Riley and Max. “I told you, we don’t like each other!”

It’s Wednesday afternoon and Riley has been plotting since her conversation with Ashling four days ago. She’s gotten Max in on her plan and they’re now putting it into action.

“Just ask her!” Max says almost snappishly. “She’s been dying to go and now’s the perfect time! We’d go with her but all of us are busy for the next few weekends.”

“Ask her to go with you on Saturday.” Riley urges. “She’s got to work at the café on Sunday.”

“Shh! Here she comes!” Max hisses.

The three fall strangely quiet, which earns them a weird look from Ashling.

Riley nudges Malik, who shoots her a glare.

“What are you up to, Riley?” Ashling asks, looking at one of her best friend in suspicion, dropping her stuff in a heap beside the table but setting her Anime folder gently down onto the table.

“Nothing at all, Ash.” Riley says, an innocent smile on her face. “We hit a rather odd topic and it fizzled off suddenly.”

Ashling eyes them for a moment, trying to decide if they’re up to anything remotely evil and then remembers that that’s Damian’s area of expertise and sits down.

“So, umm, Phoenix?”

Ashling doesn’t look up from her lunchbox as she replies with, “Nani?”

“I heard about this Fairy Stone National Park place around here and I,” Malik takes a breath in an attempt to quell his nervousness. “Iwaswonderingifyou’dliketogowithme.”

Riley and Max both inwardly groan, Malik mentally slaps himself, and Ashling’s jaw drops.

“W-what?” Ashling stutters, her mind reeling from shock. ‘He didn’t just- but- how-? Riley! She- Oh I’m going to get her back for this one.’

Malik tries again, this time with success. “I was wondering if you would like to go with me on Saturday.”

To his surprise, and Riley and Max’s relief, Ashling smiles. “I think I’d like that… Malik.”

Malik’s heart skips a beat. “Really?”

Ashling nods. “Yeah. Saturday, huh? I suppose a little birdie told you that I’m working on Sunday?”

Riley grins and gives a short wave, which makes Max and Ashling roll their eyes.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

On Saturday afternoon Malik and Ashling are walking around the park. Ashling has a little pouch that she’s putting the small brown colored cross-shaped stones in.

“Hey Malik,” She says after slipping another stone into the pouch. “thanks for coming here with me. I really do appreciate it.” She smiles up at him.

Malik shrugs. “I just wanted to do something nice. If we’re going to be stuck together, we’ve got to get along, right?”

Ashling laughs. “Yeah, you’re right.” A stone catches her attention and she kneels down and picks it up. “Hmm…” She stands up, studying it and then looks at Malik. “Give me your hand.” She says.

“What?”

“You heard me.” Ashling says. “Give me your hand. I’m not going to hurt you or anything, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

Malik snorts. “You couldn’t if you tried, Ashling.” He doesn’t notice he said her name until he notices her looking at him in shock. “What?”

“You said my name.” Ashling says. “Now,” She steps forward and grabs Malik’s hand. Then she drops the small stone into his hand. “here. You need a memento of some sort too.”

When Ashling’s not looking, Malik looks down at the small strangely golden-brown stone in his hand. ‘It’s an ankh.’ He notices in amazement. ‘But didn’t Ashling say that only… well, it is a type of cross, if you think about it. It’s an Egyptian cross.’ He glances at Ashling, looks peering up at the blue sky searching for the eagle she swore she spotting earlier. ‘You know, I don’t think I’ll mind being stuck with her.’

-C-A-T--O-F--T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S--C-A-T--O-F- -T-H-E--L-I-L-A-C--E-Y-E-S-

Shiro: Well, I must say that I did have fun writing this chapter. Especially the whole scene between Ashling and her cat Allan.

Bast: The thing's you do to that poor girl...

Shiro: Well I'm not done with screwing up their lives, not by a long shot.

Keitaro: Trying to throw complications in this one, Shiro?

Shiro: Yup! Now, on another note I have my Christmas profile already up so go ahead and check it out everyone! I can almost guarantee that you'll laugh.

NEXT CHAPTER- Chapter 14: Water
June brings the Phoenix/Gryffon family trip to the Wet 'n Wild water world. Trouble is expected when Ashling drags her crew along with her- Damian, Riley, Max, and Holly. Problems arise when neither Malik or Marik will take off their shirts. (<-- weirdest sentence ever) Malik later shows Ashling why.