Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Convenient, or The Two Page Snow Drabble ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Nope, don't own it. I don't own `A Child's Christmas in Wales', either.
 
AN: Weird fluff drabble. It's a valid art form, I'm sure. I've actually had it in the back of my head for a Christmas or two already, and have just never bothered to write it down... Enjoy! And don't forget to review ;)
 
Xoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooX
 
I wait on the edge of the street under a lamp post, though it's very cold. My mind idly dredges up an old phrase - `snow... shaken from whitewash buckets down the sky...' I wonder if he's going to come.
 
Of course he's not! Don't flatter yourself.
 
Hush, you.
 
It's very cold, and very lonely. Today is Christmas Eve, after all. The snow matches my hair even after it hits the ground, though usually the passing cars would have turned it into gray slush. It's a little surreal, because I can see people laughing past the gaps between half-closed curtains, but I can't hear a sound.
 
I lean my shoulder against the lamp post, because my feet are starting to get tired. The streets are completely empty tonight, except for you leaning on the other side of the post, or pretending to lean against it anyway. Your casual, sensuous pose for all the world makes it seem as if you're dying for everyone to see you, but we both know that I'm the only one who can.
 
They say I'm crazy, but lately I've been tentatively playing with the idea that you might be the crazy one. I'm even starting to feel a little sorry for you. You must be lonely...
 
We've been out here for half an hour. It's too cold for this. He's not coming, you idiot.
 
So maybe I am crazy, then.
 
I don't care what you say. If he's not here in ten minutes, I'm taking over and getting us someplace warm. If you get us sick...
 
I frown. “Why don't you just go back to sleep?” I demand. I'm thankful for the empty streets, because it means I don't have to whisper, for once.
 
You shrug, and grin at me over your semi-transparent shoulder. What, and let you catch cold? I would never. I will always take care of you...
 
I have decided that I'm not listening to you any more. Was it better when I was still trying to believe that you weren't real? You start humming tuneless snatches of nothing in particular, purposely grating on my nerves.
 
`Of course he's coming. He promised.'
 
You snicker, and I blush, because you weren't supposed to hear that. Oh, please. Even if he actually does show up, it's only because it's convenient for him, right now.
 
It's very cold, and it's getting colder. The lamp above my head flickers on; I hadn't even noticed that the sun had set. I'm not listening to you...
 
And then...
 
The limousine purrs. It's amazing that such a big thing hardly makes any noise. I breathe out, once, briefly obscuring my own vision as the moisture crystallizes. Then I run to the curb and fling open the door, and I can sense your anger at being left without so much as a backward glance, and I don't care.
 
I don't care, because he looks at me with dark eyes and pulls me into a kiss, and I've just realized something. I know you were lying, about it being convenient, because that's much too cold a thing to say considering how warm I am right now.
 
Owari