Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Daughter of the Nile ❯ Return ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Meira: I wish you all luck in getting through this chapter.

For those of you who looked at the question pertaining to the emesh… some of you might have learned that the Crocodile Hunter… pretty much could die any day… if they didn't have tranquilizers and stuff all around when he's filming. Hehe… randomness.

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!

Yami: Why are you referring to me as `Atem' in this story?

Meira: That's your name, isn't it?

Yami: …

Meira: GLTB will be back, not to worry. But first I need to get AIM to make it easier on both me and her. *mutters* Stupid hackers… had to ruin all my chances of getting AIM…

Yami: -.-`

Meira: Or I could just write it out then have to type the stupid thing again…

Yami: That's a good idea.

Meira: Whatever… Anyway, I wrote some of this chapter during Social Studies, Spanish, and Science. Those classes nearly made me fall asleep. I mean, what's the point of learning about Isaac Newton?

Yami: WHO?

Meira: You really need to get out of your time era… The guy who discovered gravity, light… Damnit… Social Studies is getting to my head again.

Yami: So… are you just going to leave the rest of your FanFics unfinished and just sitting there?

Meira: NOOO!!! I'm still working on Double Identity, GLTB will kill me if I don't finish it… I'm done with The Heart of the Cards, and I discontinued Dark Magician, Meet Pikachu. Well, not technically, because I have another five chapters of that to type up.

Yami: And you still haven't published them?

Meira: Too lazy. Besides, school is sucking out all my inspiration, creativity, motivation to type… and I have to go on a wretched golf field trip on 10/1.

Yami: HA HA!!!

Meira: Shut up you… I will make up for the long Authoress Notes with a long chapter. I promise.

Yami: You never keep your promises anyway…

Meira: Shut up… I'm sure these viewers are getting tired of listening to us talk, and just want to read the story.

Yami: Good point…)

<<Last Time>>

"Oh yeah," I said, turning to Lila. "What'd you come here for?"

"There's a notice in Al WÄsiÅ£ah," she said. "The Pharaoh is coming to town."

"What?" I asked, raising my eyebrow. "You mean Pharaoh Akunumkanon?"

"Yeah," she replied. "And Prince Atem. I heard that he's pretty cute…"

"Of course," I said sarcastically. "That's also why he's engaged to Princess Téa…"

"Isn't she… like…" Lila began.

"Snotty, snobbish, selfish, and totally bitchy?" I asked. "From what I've heard, yeah."

"Apparently, she's coming too," Lila said, smiling slightly. I groaned.

"Great… the future queen of Egypt is coming. And this person just happens to be one of the worst people that I've ever heard of," I said, bowing my head down. "How am I going to survive through this?"

"You could hide," she said, smirking now.

"Great…" I said. "Father will surely notice that I'm not there…"

"Another reason that I don't want to be a Princess," she said, nearly laughing.

"When are they coming?" I asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Tomorrow," she replied, bemused.

<<Now>>

Just my luck. Why did the Pharaoh and the Prince have to come here, of all days? I scowled at the Nile. Some fourteenth birthday this was…

I remember meeting the Pharaoh, the Prince, and princess a long time ago…

~~Flashback~~

I stared at the scarab beetle crawling past me. For as long as I remembered, I'd been taught to worship the scarab, since the god Kephra was said to take its form. But I'd always been secretly afraid.

I tried to perform a spell to lift it up and float it away, but as my confidence left me, so did my ability to perform magic. Damnit… why did I have to be so afraid?

A hand reached out and picked up the scarab. I glanced up to see a boy with spiky hair that looked a little like a sunset. Next to him was a girl with brown hair.

"You trying to perform magic?" the boy asked, holding out the scarab. I jumped back, still frightened. The boy laughed, seeing me act like that.

"What's so funny?" I asked, annoyed.

"I remember that I used to be afraid of scarab beetles," the boy said, settling it down. The scarab scuttled away. He turned back toward me. "I'm Atem, and this is Téa," he said, guesturing toward the brunette.

"I'm Shadow," I said, smiling at him. "And I'm four years old."

"We're both six," Atem replied, smiling. "That means that we're only two years older than you!"

"Shadow," Téa said, smirking. I felt a rush of hatred toward her. [Meira: Of course she didn't realize it at the time, being only four and naive. Reminds me of Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird… *bangs head against wall* Now Reading is getting to my head…] "What an unusual name," she continued.

"Téa," Atem hissed. "Be nice!"

"Don't worry," I said to him. "I'm used to it by now. Everybody who doesn't live in this village thinks that Shadow is a strange name."

"What's the name of this village?" Atem asked. I could tell he was trying to be polite.

"Al LeÄÅ£uÅ MevÅrica," I replied, proud that I could pronounce the name of my village, considering that it was a really complicated name.

"Oh yeah!" Atem replied, slapping his hand to his forehead. "Father told me that a million times… except I kept on forgetting," he added sheepishly.

"Atem," I started, but Téa interrupted me.

"That's Prince Atem to you," she snapped, rather rudely.

"Prince?" I asked, curious. Atem was hushing Téa, reprimanding her. This only made me realize that he was the prince.

"Yes," she replied, gently pushing Atem aside. "And I am Princess Téa, Atem's future wife." She glared daggers at me. [Meira: You guys can guys why.]

"Future wife? Princess?" I asked. Now I was confused. What the hell? "But aren't you guys only six?"

"Arranged marriage," she smirked. Atem grimaced. This was getting fairly confusing… I didn't know that the prince and princess would be here…Al LeÄÅ£uÅ MevÅrica was about a thousand miles from the kingdom, father had said so himself.

"Prince!" a voice shouted. I turned to see many people rushing towards us. I'd never seen so many people at once in the same place, since our village was a relatively small one. Especially not people with as many pointy sticks as they had. [Meira: Why the hell am I using terms from Social Studies? *bangs head against wall*]

"Atem, are you alright?" a woman said, pushing her way to the front.

"Mother," Atem mumbled. "I'm fine."

"Yes, Queen Ara," Téa answered. "We're fine."

But before I could say anything, about a million of those pointy sticks were pointed at me.

"What?" I said, looking around. "What did I do?" I asked, my eyes filling up with tears. Whatever I did… I didn't want to be jabbed by one of those pointy sticks.

"Stand back!" a voice called. I turned to see a man standing there, with a weird golden eye in his left eye. [Meira: I know it looks like it's the right eye, but from this guy's POV, it's the left eye.]

"Seto!" Atem called. "What is the meaning of this?"

"Stand back, Prince Atem," Seto said. "We are here to capture this assassin!"

"She's a little girl!" Atem called. "She's only four years old! How could she be an assassin?"

"She was going to bewitch you and the princess," Seto replied, glaring at me. I whimpered in fear. His expression softened for a moment, then he regained his composure. "Arrest her!"

"Stop!" Atem called. "She was just afraid of a scarab beetle, so the princess and I came to her aid!"

"Is that so?" Seto said, glaring at me. I prayed to the gods to help me. But it was no use. Until I heard a call behind me. I turned to see my father, my brothers, and the warriors from our village running up.

"Release the princess!" a voice called. My father was there to protect me!

"Princess?!?" Atem and Téa said in unison.

"I'm the village leader's daughter," I said, forgetting that I was being pointed at by a million pointy spears… but only for a minute.

"STOP!" a voice bellowed. I turned back around, and saw a man wearing robes fit for a king, with some sort of a pyramid around his neck. He stormed up to Seto. "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING, SETO?"

"Pharaoh Akunumkanon," Seto said, bowing. "I'm capturing this assassin."

"SHE'S NOT AN ASSASSIN!" Atem bellowed. "SHE'S MY FRIEND!"

~~End Flashback~~

I sighed. Atem had said that I was his friend, but how long would that have lasted? I hadn't seen him since the time he defended me… and that was ten years ago. Exactly ten years.

I wasn't really looking forward to seeing Téa… especially with that look she had given me. What was it on her face? It looked like a mixture of hatred and scorn.

"Shadow!" Lila called. I turned around to face her.

"What's up?" I asked, smiling. Finally, somebody to talk to.

"The Pharoah's arrived," she replied. "He's just arrived near the edge of the Nile. Mother and I are going there now… you coming?"

"Definitely," I replied, thought I was pretty sure that my meeting with Téa was not going to be a pleasant one.

***`

I stood with my father and my brothers at the fore of the crowd. I was smiling, trying to look nonchalant.

Atem stepped off of the boat, waving gently to the crowd. How did I know it was him? Let's just say the spikes in his hair didn't change much. But he had certainly grown a lot…

A girl appeared after him. I actually almost didn't recognize her. Her eyes rested on me, and she scoffed. Atem also looked my way.

"Shadow!" he called. He came down the plank. When he reached the bottom, he reached over, took my hand, and pressed his lips to it.

I blushed. Cheesy freak.

(Meira: Hehe… Had to throw something in…

Yami: WHAT THE?!?!

Meira: Hehe…

DBQ! In this chapter, I mentioned Kephra [God of the Morning Sun] as a scarab beetle. In myth, the scarab beetle can be used to torture people with unbelievable pain when it is placed between the person's eyes. But when the scarab's legs are removed, it can be used to read minds.

Imagine that you have a scarab in your possession. Would you use it's mythical powers? Or would you just keep it in a tank with your pet lizard? [Hehe…] If you were to use it's mythical powers, which one would you use, and why?

I'm too lazy to write more… but I will have to start updating my other fics soon… *sigh*

I got writer's block too… so as soon as I get some inspiration, I will post up the next chapter. And the next chapter of Double Identity.

Yami: What the??? THE SCARAB HAS THOSE POWERS AND YOU DIDN'T LET ME USE THEM???

Meira: Shut up… I'm talking on the phone to GLTB right now...

Yami: Why? What are you guys talking about?

Meira: Pointless stuff…

~~Question!!!~~

Does anyone want to help me name Shadow? Her `real' name, actually. Everybody that I've asked [including my sister] is completely clueless. Well… not GLTB, but she just forgot the one that she had.

Please tell me immediately if you come up with a good one! Even if you don't think it's very good… please tell me! [And if you have the meaning as well, please tell me that too…]

Yami: Don't you think you should be asking other people?

Meira: I'm desperate. I need the name…

Yami: Are you going to have her find her name?

Meira: Depends if I get a name first.

Yami: Oh…

Meira: Please read and review!)