Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Destined Duel ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Necropolis demon
Disclaimer: YuGiOh and its characters don't belong to me.
`…' Thinking
“…” Talking
Destined Duel
Prologue
It was a cloudy day and signs of a coming downpour were evident, the winds were slightly blowing harder than usual and the air was cold that it made people shiver. Despite the conditions a small group of friends decided to have a duel on top of the school roof where the winds blew harder and there was a risk for their cards getting blown away.
What started as a simple chat that day ended up as a challenge between the CEO of Kaiba Corp; Seto Kaiba and the shy, white haired teen who's dueling skills were never acknowledged much; Ryou Bakura.
Flashback
Earlier at school, Yugi and his circle of friends were chatting about their dueling skills.
“Ha! I can beat anyone in this classroom with my eyes closed!” Joey, a blond haired duelist boasted.
“Yeah right, as if! I bet you can't win against Yugi.” Tristan countered.
“Yeah, and what about Kaiba? You've never beaten him in a duel before Joey so stop being so big-headed!” Tea, the only girl in the group scolded.
“Ok, Ok, I guess I'm not number one…” for a moment the blond paused and spoke again “but I'll bet our Ryou here could beat Kaiba!” he gestured towards the shy teen who was standing behind them, silently listening to their conversation. “You guys have seen him duel before! Remember that duel he had against Yugi at Battle City? He almost won didn't he?” the blond snickered.
“Look guys I don't want any trouble, If Kaiba hears you guys comparing him to an…amateur duelist like me…well…” Ryou said softly, his voice barely above a whisper.
“Don't be so modest Ryou.” Yugi the so-called Game King interrupted.
“Yeah! You can beat Kaiba if you tried!” the blond said sternly, crossing his arms in a sign of authority.
“I…a-anyone can beat K-Kaiba…” the white haired teen stuttered, not noticing the figure of their classmate behind him. “If they practiced a lot and tried their best…I guess” he whispered with his head low. Unfortunately for Ryou, Kaiba heard everything he said except for the last part that only Yugi and his friends heard.
For a moment, Ryou noticed that his friends were silent; he turned his head and was met by the sight of a blue uniform. Looking up, he found Kaiba glaring daggers at him as if he was an insect that needed to be squashed.
“So you think you're so good huh? Ryou Bakura was it?” the brunette scowled, truly insulted at the pale teen's words.
End of flashback
And that's how the duel started…
“I place Dark Necrofear in attack position!” said the white haired teen, placing the said card in attack position. “My turn is over” he looked up at his opponent who did not even flinch at the sight of the summoned monster.
“Dark Necrofear? That's said to be your favorite Card….” The brunette smirked; he drew a card and his smirk widened. “Then I'll summon,” he confidently sacrificed his monsters to play the drawn card. “Blue-Eyes white dragon!” the CEO shouted with utmost confidence as he played the dragon.
Ryou's eyes widened at the sight of his opponent's monster, the dragon gave a fierce roar to the audience who were mainly Yugi, Joey, Tea, Tristan and Mokuba; Kaiba's little brother.
`What am I going to do? Kaiba will surely destroy me with his blue eyes! I have to think!' Ryou panicked, trying desperately to find a solution.
The pale teen struggled to think straight in order to formulate a plan against the enemy's trump card; hearing the faint cheers of his friends ringing in his ears, he pulled himself together and set two magic cards on the field then played `swords of revealing light'.
The skies darkened and the wind howled making the conditions worse for the two duelists, it became frigid cold on the rooftop and considering that everyone was merely dressed in their respective uniforms; you can imagine how cold they were. As the surroundings darkened, Yugi felt a sudden chill pass through him. The clouds swirled into a spiral form and settled above the two duelists, the thunder roared, the wind blew stronger causing everyone to slightly panic.
“I don't think we should continue this duel Kaiba!” Ryou shouted at Kaiba since the strong winds and roaring thunder were too loud for them to hear.
“What's wrong coward? Afraid aren't we?” the brunette taunted.
Kaiba didn't know that his opponent was sensing some weird energy surrounding the inhabitants of the rooftop, causing the pale teen to shiver not in coldness but in fear.
`What's happening here? Why do I feel this way? I feel like there's something ominous engulfing me from head to toe' Ryou thought, Oh how right he was.
A dark shadow engulfed the shivering teen, from his feet to his torso and finally his head.
“What?” he panicked, his eyes widening in horror. He knew this shadowy mist! It was the mist that engulfed people and sent them to the shadow realm. Was he being banished? Why? How? Did he accidentally open the shadow realm while dueling with Kaiba?
“Ryou!” Yugi or should we say Yami Yugi screamed, he ran towards the teen in an attempt to save him from the darkness while his friends stood there in shock at what they were witnessing. Kaiba could not believe his eyes, at first he thought of it all as a trick so he hurriedly sauntered towards the side of his opponent thinking that his enemy was trying to run away from their duel.
The thunder struck at them a mere six feet away from Kaiba, the CEO's eyes widened as his duel disk began to malfunction, sparks flew from the gadget on his arm before exploding making him fall flat on the floor.
At that exact moment when the brunette fell, all the holographic cards and monsters on the field disappeared, all except for two: the Blue-Eyes White dragon and Dark Necrofear.
Ryou vanished into the darkness before Yami could even get a hold of him. Everyone except for Mokuba, who rushed to his unconscious older brother's side, stood there dumbfounded wondering where in the world Ryou went.
Necro: to all those who are reading this: kindly submit a review before moving on, complements and suggestions will be much appreciated. No flaming please! Thank you in advance.