Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Devotion ❯ Losing Battle ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Whoa. I actually did it. Four chapters in 24 hours. Wow.

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, Ryou would be allowed to fight back more. Although I actually do like the dub voice, it seems right: he is cultured and a little distant: it works.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

I knew it.

It was too good to be true.

His is just like mine, the one who considers me his.

Thank god Yugi managed to fight him off.

I hope he doesn't suffer for it like I have.

I don't dare hope.

If I had believed even for a second that he was really gone, his return would have broken me.

Still, no matter what, it was worth it.

I may not be able to destroy this demon inside me, but I WILL NOT GIVE IN.

I will not let him kill any more of my friends.

I will not let him destroy the world.

Oh yes, that is his goal. He's bragged of it to me, told me how his victory is inevitable, how he is the darkness and cannot be destroyed, how a mere mortal like me cannot fight him.

I believed him, until the thought occurred: if he cares so little about me, why is he wasting his time telling me all this, trying to scare me? He values himself and his time highly.

That's the only reason I have control of my body at all: he doesn't want to be bothered with the mundane chores of living.

Who is he trying to convince?

I fought, and I found I could, rarely, resist him for a short while.

But the price is too high for minor matters.

I tell myself I'm biding my time, but is that just an excuse to avoid being tortured?

He doesn't harm my body, he'd hurt next time he took over and injuries might attract attention, but my mind is another matter. There's a place, inside my head, that I find myself when he takes over. It hurts just as much there as in the real world…I won't think of it.

When I saw that Yugi had a spirit as well, I almost allowed myself to hope. I can't fight him, but maybe another spirit…

Then I saw through the demon how he sacrificed Joey's life to win.

Still, when the demon called me out I helped him, in order to help my friends.

I WILL NOT BE USED TO KILL THEM.

I may be the demon's tool, but I am not his plaything. I will never give in to him. He will have to fight me tooth and nail.

I promised myself that on the night I first resisted, when I took over long enough to give an old woman who was in the wrong place at the wrong time a chance to escape.

Yugi's brave, under it all. I heard from Joey and Tristan about Ushio.

Yugi proved he has it in him to fight a losing battle.

Like me.

Who do I think I am, one of the Light Brigade, charging into certain death?

The demon has told me he's looking for a new host, and as soon as he finds a suitable one he'll kill me for my insolence.

I don't care.

I'm in hell already.

"Like me, Yugi has some sort of ancient spirit inside him."

That's all I can say without risking his wrath.

Come on, notice the warning...

Like me.

Just like I picked the change of heart card, to try to warn them that their friend was about to become their enemy.

The demon thought that was funny, that futile attempt to warn them.

Laughed at my futile effort and their ignorance.

If I can get it through to them that it wasn't a dream, that the evil spirit exists and is still here, hopefully they'll avoid me.

If they're willing to let me tag along with them, the demon insists I do so he can pick his moment to strike.

Their friendship is one of the few joys in my life, but the knowledge that my friendship may doom them…

I pray that they push me away.

But they're still in danger, even without me.

Poor Yugi.

He doesn't deserve this.

Doesn't deserve to be the host of one of these accursed talismans.

Doesn't deserve to be locked in a losing battle, his only hope to prolong his friends' lives even a little.

Doesn't deserve to have the dream of a quick death be his only comfort.

The only thing I can do is endure.

I won't let him drive me to suicide.

There's no way he'd allow me to, anyway.

And if he's possessing me, he isn't tormenting someone else.

That's one other thing I can comfort myself with.

That and the idea that maybe they'll kill each other off.

They seem to be bitter enemies.

Yugi's demon tried to destroy mine, but failed.

Maybe mine can destroy Yugi's?

Maybe he'll be injured enough in the battle that I can fight him?

Maybe pigs have wings.

Maybe he won't bother to kill Yugi, once he has the puzzle?

Hey, I can hope, right?

No, I can't.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

I must have done something, to deserve this damnation.

But Yugi hasn't.

Yugi is kind and caring and his only desire is to help his friends.

After the battle, I could see he knew it wasn't a dream.

Yet he was still nice to me, asked where I got the millennium ring.

Curse him for being so kind, for not pushing me away. Doesn't he know I can't stop him?

Curse you father.

You give me this, and then abandon me to it.

I never see you, you never call, I have to remind you to send money…

Mom and Amane may have died, but I'm still here!

Not that I'm over their deaths either. I write letters to Amane when things are too much.

Maybe the demon is right to call me pathetic.

Pathetic?

I may only be a grain of sand compared to your power, but I'll get in your eye.

I will never surrender.

I will never be yours.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Thanks, reviewers!

Pharoah's Angel: Thanks for putting me on your favorites list! It means a lot.

Dorie Kaiba: We're going to Catalina Aug. 15, wanna come? There are more pix at janime.net, it's a really cool site!