Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Did My Time ❯ Introduction ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I'm not too sure how this fic is going to turn out

I'm not too sure how this fic is going to turn out. I've been sitting at work and listening to random Korn songs that I've compiled on a mix cd, and for some reason, it reminded me of Malik. I don't know why, I don't know how, I just know that thoughts for a fic kept swirling in my head, and this is the attempt to make sense of them.

Obviously, this is set after the entire of the Yugioh series is over. And it's a Malik-centric fic, probably the easiest character for me to start with writing for this series.

I don't own any characters or any items/ideas from the Yugioh series/manga/etc.

This is my first attempt at the Yugioh genre, so please review to let me know how I did ^_^

Oh, and one more thing. . . .The italics are Ishtar, which is the name I've given to Malik's yami. To me, it's too confusing to use Malik and Marik, and I hate typing Yami Malik because Yugi's yami is well, Yami. He's not a living, breathing entity like Yami Yugi or the other yamis at this point. So I couldn't justify giving him his own speech bubbles.

~*~Did My Time~*~

by BlueMew

Malik. . . . why have you forsaken me. . . ?

The platinum haired young man awoke with a start, throwing his sweat-covered sheets off quickly as he jumped out of bed, heading for his bathroom.

The voice had been gone for years, yet over the past week, Ishtar had haunted his dreams and his reality, pleading to be returned to his former host.

"No, Ishtar, leave me alone!" He screamed at the mirror, slamming his hands against it before shaking violently, needing to grab onto the sink for stability. He didn't want to go back to the institution. The year spent inside those padded white walls were more than enough to press the fact that Ishtar was just a figment of his imagination, and he was a bad influence at that.

And he was sane enough to know he didn't want to go back there.

Yugi had tried to befriend him after the tournament, before Malik's sister, adopted brother, and mother had him institutionalized. Perhaps he could call Yugi now, years after the tournament had ended, and perhaps the kind-hearted boy turned in to a kind-hearted man, and would talk to him about the torment caused by his yami.

But what would a phone call do for him? Of course, Yugi would talk to him, but then he'd be alone again. He'd be susceptible to Ishtar's verbal assaults if he stayed alone.

No, he'd have to go to the Kame Game Shop and pound on the door until Yugi answered and promised to let him stay there until Ishtar was finally gone from his life.

Grabbing his leather jacket and slipping it on, Malik walked from the apartment wearing the loose grey t-shirt and blue plaid sleeping pants he had been in before the nightmares started, hugging his arms around himself, hoping for some comfort at least.

The streets were quiet, as this was a safe neighborhood for one to have grown up in. No one was awake to notice the blond moving silently down the sidewalk, and that suited his purposes tonight.

The Kame Game Shop was dark, but he knew that Yugi lived upstairs, so he started pounding on the door, screaming for someone to let him in. Of course, he knew that causing this much of a disturbance was not the best way to prove he was sane, but it was the only plausible way of waking someone up.

"What's wrong?" Yugi yawned as he opened the door, now a few inches taller than Malik remembered from Battle City. But he froze when the image of the person standing in front of him finally registered, not certain of what was about to happen. "Malik?"

Pushing Yugi inside, Malik was now frantic to be hidden from the world, less one of the neighbors saw his spectacle. "Yugi, you've gotta destroy the Millennium Rod. Kill Ishtar, please."

The spiky haired younger man looked up at the blond. "I can't destroy it. Yami wouldn't let me."

"Yugi, you don't understand. He's driving me insane. Ishtar and I, we're not the same. He wants to destroy people, including me."

Why am I to blame? I thought you loved me, Malik.

The blond screamed, grabbing his head as he fell to his knees inside the shop, muttering for it to go away, to leave him alone, and that he was sane now.

Yugi just stood there watching this happen, unsure of what was happening. His Yami never scared him that much, and he'd seen Ishtar before during Battle City. Sure, the spirit of the Millennium Rod was more intense than his own, but Ishtar should not be sending a grown man to his knees in fits of panic.

"Malik, come on. Get up, and I'll have Yami help you figure this out, okay?"

The platinum haired man looked up at the boy in front of him, then shaking, offered him a hand, to which Yugi helped him to his feet.

"Th-Thank you."

Together, the two walked upstairs to the living area of the game shop, where Malik would begin the tale of his demise.

~*~*~*~*~

So should I even continue with this thing? Lemme know!