Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Domino High ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Domino High
 
Today was a day unlike any other day. Jonouchi discussed it with his friends and everyone knew what he had planned.
 
“Wow, I never realized how smart you were,” Honda stated, “I always thought you were the type to ask a woman out on the first day.”
 
“I know,” Jonouchi replied, “It's like I have more patience with Mai because this is the first time I've ever felt real love.”
 
Anzu sighed and stated, “This sounds SO romantic. I just feel like telling Mai the big news, but I can't because that would jeopardize your chances. I wish I had a boy that would do that for me.”
 
Yugi blushed once more upon hearing that and thought, `When the time is right, I'll tell her.'
 
Kawai stared dreamily into thing air and stated, “That's my brother, always prepared for everything.”
 
The group laughed upon hearing that. Even Jonouchi and Kawai joined in for everyone knew how false that statement was. Kawai didn't. She just joined in because everyone else was laughing.
 
Upon the last bell, Jonouchi walked up to Mai who waved goodbye to her friends. He sighed and asked, “Mai, how about we forget about the 4:00 session and just start it right now? I parked the car out front of the school so I could get an early start on today's lesson.”
 
The rich girl blinked a couple of times, laughed and said, “You're always full of surprises. Sure, I'll hold your material during the ride there.”
 
Jonouchi couldn't believe this. It was as if Mai KNEW what was going on and wanted to rush it as well. Sadly, for once, the boy knew what Mai was thinking, and he doubted the chance that those were her intentions.
 
With that, Jonouchi and Mai rode together to the Kujaku mansion, but Mai nudged Jonouchi and asked, “Hey, how about instead, we study at your house? It's still very early. I'll call my servant and tell him that I'll be having dinner at your place.”
 
Jonouchi was even more excited now. This was going better than planned, for in this scenario, no one could interrupt because his father was trying to find another job today after he got drunk and fired from his old job after the first three months.
 
What made this more special was that Mai was doing that at the boy's house in the first place. It was like she wanted a romantic moment.
 
Anyway, Jonouchi and Mai arrived at the Shizuka residence and entered. Jonouchi's house was like every average house, except there were empty beer cans everywhere. This was okay. Mai had heard rumors of his father being a drug addict.
 
As the two hours went by, Jonouchi could once again understand material he never knew before. After an hour and a half, Mai surprised him with a pop quiz of her own to test whether or not he knew all the material.
 
Amazingly, for the first time on any quiz or test, without cheating, Jonouchi had managed to score 85 percent. He was so happy. He grinned and said, “Thank you, Mai. Thanks to you, I'll pass tomorrow's test for sure! By the way…”
 
Suddenly, something happened. Mai listened with anticipation as Jonouchi shook his head and said, “Forget it. It's nothing.”
 
The boy felt as if maybe this wasn't the right time to ask Mai out. He felt as if he owed it to her to pass the test first before asking. That felt like the right thing to do and Jonouchi really cared about Mai too much to jeopardize it with any mistakes.
 
The next day, he entered Math class as Honda turned to him and asked, “So, what did Mai say last night?”
 
“I didn't ask her?” Jonouchi replied.
 
Honda cocked his head to one side as the boy sighed and explained, “It wasn't the right time. I feel as if I owe it to her to pass the test before starting a relationship.”
 
Honda chuckled and said, “I have to say, for once, you're using your head.”
 
With that, the bell rang and everyone wrote the test. The test was marked in class so everyone got their results right away. While Honda managed a bare pass, Jonouchi had received 90 percent. He had not only passed, but he had earned his first A.
 
He cheered, turned to Honda and said, “I'm asking her out after school!”
 
After the rest of the day went by, Jonouchi finally had the opportunity. He rushed out of the school and met with Mai just waving goodbye to her friends. Unbeknownst to him, she was waving goodbye for more than one reason.
 
He ran right up to Mai, tapped her on the shoulder and exclaimed, “I passed the test, Mai! I passed, and it's all thanks to you!”
 
Mai smiled, hugged Jonouchi and replied, “That's fantastic! My lessons actually worked! I'm proud of you, Jonouchi. Sadly, you'll have to ask someone else to help you with your next subject, though.”
 
Jonouchi nodded and said, “That's right, because you won't need to be my tutor anymore! See, I need to ask you something really important. I was going to ask it tomorrow, but I felt that I HAD to pass that test for your sake first!”
 
Mai gasped and asked, “What is it you want to ask?”
 
Jonouchi blushed, looked Mai right in the eye and asked the one question he had been waiting almost a week to blurt out. He took a deep breath and asked, “Will you go out with me, be my girlfriend, marry me and have a little Jonouchi of our own one day?”
 
Before Mai could reply, Jonouchi grinned and stated, “It'll be great! We'll have our own place, I'll have a high paying job and I won't have a reason to grope your breasts without permission anymore!”
 
Mai blushed. Never in her life had she expected this. Her eyes sparkled and she had an expression of grief in her eyes. She looked Jonouchi right in the eye and said, “I would love to go out with you, but I can't. See, yesterday was the last day I would be spending with you, and I wanted to make myself useful and leave behind a good memory until today.”
 
“What do you mean, Mai?” Jonouchi replied, “Why can't you go out with me?”
 
Mai let down a tear drop and stated, “I'm moving. I was invited to attend a school in the next town over, and my servant is going to drive me there right now. I'm sorry, but I won't be able to see you anymore. Goodbye.”
 
As she turned around, Jonouchi stared in confusion. He felt as if his heart had been torn in half and his life had lost all meaning. Never had he expected something like this to happen.
 
He sobbed and thought, `STUPID! Why didn't I ask her out yesterday? My dating her would have given her a reason to stay! Why? STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!'
 
He sighed, lowered his head for a second, raised it up to see that her car had left and said slowly, “Goodbye, Mai Kujaku, my love.”
 
With that, Jonouchi sighed as walked home with his head down the entire time. As he approached his house, he knelt his head down further, slammed his fist against the door and sobbed.
 
Never in Jonouchi's life had the boy ever sobbed before. This was one of the first sad things to ever happen to him. This was even sadder than his sister moving away. At least he got to see her everyday at school. Mai, on the other hand, was gone forever. He would never be able to see her again.
 
He creaked open the door, staggered into his room, fell on his bed and stared up at the ceiling, some tears still trying to escape his eyes.
 
`How could this happen?' he thought, `How could she move today of all days?'
 
Suddenly, 2 hours early, his father arrived home and called, “Guess what, son! I got a new job! I'm working for a big company this time in a cubicle! Aren't you happy for me?”
 
Suddenly, he noticed that Jonouchi hadn't come out to congratulate him like he usually did. His father sighed, entered his room and said, “Are you blasting your music too loud again?”
 
Suddenly, he noticed his own son lying in his bed, tear drops in his eyes and his spirit broken.
 
He sat down beside his son and asked, “Did you fail the test?”
 
“No,” Jonouchi sighed, “I got 90 percent. Besides, a failure on my test is the least of my worries now.”
 
“What's wrong?” asked his father, finally taking interest in his son's life after 5 years.
 
Jonouchi growled and explained, “Today, I asked Mai to be my girlfriend.”
 
“Good!” the man reacted, “That girl's beautiful and clearly likes you! So, what's wrong?”
 
“She said she'd be happy to go out with me,” Jonouchi replied, “but she had to move today.”
 
For the first time in years, Mr. Shizuka felt concern for his son. I mean real concern, not pretend concern. He embraced his son and said, “There, there, it's not the end of the world. I know you may feel bad now, but I know that Mai wouldn't want you to feel bad. Your mother was the same before we broke up. She didn't want me to be sad, so she allowed me to date after she left. No other wife would ever allow that.”
 
Jonouchi sniffed and said, “I don't know why, but surprisingly, that made me feel a little better inside. Thank you for understanding, Pops.”
 
The two hugged and for the first time in, you guessed it, years, Mr. Shizuka finally decided to bond with his son and help him through this tough time.