Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon of the Shadowed Light ❯ Chapter 16: 'Normality' Returns ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shiro: Hmm... I kinda like this chapter. I had fun writing the flashback/memory things for Yume.

Bast: (re-reading the chapter) You sure did... I wonder how many cunfuzzled reviewers you're gonna have.

Shiro: Doesn't matter, I'll answer any questions.

Kyle: (sighs) Shiro doesn't own Yu-Gi-Oh. She does own Tama, Yume, the Chaotic Dragons, the 'Millennium' Dragon, any other OC's in this story, and the plot.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

KEY

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0: scene change

y-y-y-y-y-y: flashback/memory

y-y-y: Scene change within memory

-D-R-A-G-O-N--O-F--T-H-E--S-H-A-D-O-W-E-D--L-I-G-H-T- -D-R-A-G-O-N--O-F--T-H-E--S-H-A-

Chapter 16: ‘Normality’ Returns

“…and then we went to this cool carnival! It was so cool! I swear, me an’ Kiba an’ Dami’ went on every single roller coaster that was there!” Tama says energetically. “It was so cool!” She repeats.

Yugi laughs. “Sounds like you had fun.” He says, stacking up a few puzzle boxes.

Tama nods. “I did. It was great seeing Damian, Kiba, and daddy again. I miss them already.”

“So what did Yume do during all of this?” Yami asks.

“She actually assumed solid form once, but she didn’t have much fun since she couldn’t feel anything.” Tama says. “So I let her have control for a while. I think she drove Damian nuts though…”

Yugi looks up from his work. “Is he still a nonbeliever?” He asks.

Tama shakes her head ‘no’. “No, he believes me now. Yume just freaks him out because she looks so much like me but acts and sounds different.”

“Get off the counter, Tama.” Yugi says, walking past her with a box.

“So where’s Ryou and Malik?” Yami asks.

Tama ignores Yugi and stays on the counter, answering Yami’s question instead. “Ryou’s suffering from jet-lag and overexposure to his yami and Ishizu’s keeping Malik in Egypt. They found some old tablets and they’re working on deciphering tehm. He said he’ll be back before Christmas because he want to see snow. I think he just misses us. Not that I blame him.” Tama says. “I can’t believe that school starts back up tomorrow.”

Yugi gives a noncommitted ‘hn’ as he sets up the last of the duel monster card packets. “Tama, do you need help getting off the counter? Because I can help you if you need it.”

Tama pouts and slips off the counter, leaning up against it instead, her several necklaces clinking together. Yugi and Yami both notice this.

“Where’d you get all of the necklaces? Before you just had the Millennium Dragon and one silver dog-tag necklace.” Yugi says.

“Well… this one’s from Ryou,” Tama says, holding up the locket. “and this is from Damian,” She holds up a golden half a heart with ‘BE’ and ‘FRI’ on it, obviously the first half of a ‘Best Friends’ necklace. “and daddy and Kiba got me this one.” She says, holding up the last one; a witchy-looking silver claw with a small amethyst-lilac colored orb clutched in the claws.

“Dragon claw?” Yugi questions.

Tama grins and nods. “Yup! Now I gotta head home and make sure Bakura and Yume haven’t killed one another or burnt the house down while Ryou’s napping.”

Yugi laughs. “Alright, see you tomorrow?”

“Of course.” Tama replies. “Later cuz,” She says, walking out of the shop.

Yami looks curiously over at his Light. “Should we have told her about the KC grand prix?” He asks.

Yugi sighs as he folds up the box and sets it against a wall. “I’m sure she heard of it since I remember Mokuba on the phone with her, asking for advice.”

“Hmm…”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
“I hate you!”

“I hate you more!”

Tama glares at the two arguing spirits. “Fine! You both hate each other! We get it!”

Ryou groans into his pillow and then sits up. “Tama, you know there is not way you’re going to get them to stop arguing.”

Tama sighs. “I know, but it was worth a try.”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Months fly by. Yume and Bakura are arguing worse than ever and they have discovered Yume is remembering bits and pieces of her past which lead to even more arguing.

y-y-y-y-y-y

Yumeri looks around the desert, the golden dragon pendant cool against her chest.

“Yumeri! I’m so sorry!” Mana yells, appearing from nowhere. “I can’t believe I messed up the spell! I’m so so so so so so soo sorry!”

“It’s alright, Mana.” Yumeri replies. “Just get me out of here.”

Mana happily nods. “Okay! But once we get in the village you get to tell me where you got that dragon pendant.”

Yumeri hesitantly nods. “I- I will, Mana.”

y-y-y

Yumeri excitably looks around the market, hood covering her brightly colored hair. After making up something about where she got the pendant, Yumeri made sure to hide it under her clothes so she wouldn’t attract attention. Sighing, she turns away from a stand selling beads and comes face to face with a mahogany-eyed, white-haired boy.

“Oh! S-sorry!” Yumeri stutters, lowering her head.

“Watch where you’re going, peasant.” The boy growls before walking off.

Yumeri frowns. “Who are you cal-”

“Yumeri!” Mana hisses, grabbing her friends arm. “Don’t!”

“But Mana-”

Mana shakes her head furiously. “Don’t! Lets go home. Atemu will be wondering where you’ve gone.”

y-y-y

A 16-year-old Yumeri carefully slips out her bedroom door and slips into the hall, beige shoes not making a sound against the floor. She’s wearing a knee-length dress that’s styled similarly to her royal robes, except there’s no gold and the sleeves aren’t off-the-shoulder.

“Going out again tonight, miss Yumeri?” Mana asks in a disapproving tone.

Yumeri pauses. “I am.”

“I wish you wouldn’t.” Mana says cautiously. “I’ve hear the Thief King Khalid Bakura is coming tonight.”

“I’ll be fine, Mana.” Yumeri assures her best friend. “A little thief isn’t going to stop me. Now go on to bed, I don’t need Mahaado catching you up so late.”

Mana watches worriedly as her friend slips into the darkness and out of sight. “But I have a bad feeling…” She murmurs.

Outside, Yumeri carefully climbs over the walls and drops down on the other side to see a few peasant men and a couple of women. She nods to them and then gestures for them to follow her.

“Where are we going tonight, milady?” One of the men asks.

Yumeri doesn’t answer for a moment. “I’ve received word of a cruel but wealthy landlord. I figured we’d pay him a visit tonight.” She says calmly, unfazed by the quiet cheers of the peasants, who have undoubtedly heard of the landlord.

“But milady, aren’t you worried? I’ve hear that the Thief King Bakura is in the area tonight.” One of the women says.

Yumeri coolly eyes the small band. “So that is why our band has decreased tonight. You need not fear the Thief King, I can take care of him.” She says smirking. “Now come, we must hurry.”

The small band of thieves makes its way through the village until they come to a large building. Yumeri quickly scans the area and then gives a hand signal to her followers. They quickly enter the building with Yumeri on high alert behind them.

The peasants set to work n looting the place while Yumeri prowls around, making sure nothing will go wrong. All is well until a flash of white and then blonde catches her attention. Knowing that none of her followers have white or blonde hair, Yumeri lets out a schrill whistle. Within one minute, every member of her band has fled the building and is cautiously making his or her way home.

Yumeri stays behind to hunt down the two that interrupted her night. Slinking carefully through the shadows she once again find the blonde and white blurs and waits for them to come closer. Then she pounces on the blonde one and manages to pin him down. Yumeri looks at the blonde in shock. “M-Mariku?” She stutters, before the white-haired man tackles her and manages to pin her down with a dagger at her throat.

“Bakura, don’t!” Mariku yells. “That’s my cousin!”

Bakura pauses, dagger still pressed against Yumeri’s delicate throat, and looks down at the smaller girl.

Yumeri looks defiantly back, violet eyes glittering darkly.

Bakura scowls and lets her up, hiding his dagger somewhere in his bright red cloak. “She ruined our hunt.” He hisses to Mariku.

“And you both ruined mine, so we’re even.” Yumeri replies, standing up.

“Who are you and why are you here?” Bakura growls.

Yumeri glares at both of the guys. “My name is Yumeri. I was here keeping lookout for my band of thieves. That is, until you two scared them off.” She nonchalantly brushes off her clothes. “Now if you’ll excuse me-”

-SLAM-

Mariku, Bakura, and Yumeri all curse and then the two guys run into the shadows, bright cloaks billowing behind them. Yumeri quickly glances around and spots a window. She quickly jumps out it and begins running home to the palace.

y-y-y

A 17-year-old Yumeri boredly stares at the table where she, the priests, and the high priestess are sitting.

“What do you think, Yumeri?” The high priestess, Isis asks.

Yumeri lifts her head up and looks at Isis sleepily. “Huh?”

The high priest Seth sighs in frustration. “Yumeri, have you listened to a word of this meeting?”

“Not really.” Yumeri sheepishly says, tiredly rubbing her eyes. “Can this please wait until tomorrow?”

Isis sighs. “Very well. But we cannot postpone it any longer than that.” She says, before standing up. “Be here tomorrow at noon.”

Yumeri nods as the other priests stand up. “I will.” She turns her attention to Seth. “High priest Seth, I request your presence.”

Seth raises an eyebrow, but follows the short girl to a room that branches off from the meeting room. Yumeri carefully closes the door behind them.

“What is it?” Seth asks, crossing his arms over his check.

Yumeri bites her lip. “Seth… have you ever been in love?”

Seth stiffins. “What?”

“Have you ever been in love?” Yumeri repeats, lifting her head up until she’s looking into Seth’s eyes.

Seth hesitates for a moment. “Yes. Yes, I have.”

“How… how did you tell that person that you liked them. I mean, what did you say- do, whatever?”

“And why do you want to know this, Guardian?”

“Because, high lord, I- I think I’m in love with someone…”

Seth stares at Yumeri in shock for a moment before collecting himself. “Is he royalty?”

Yumeri sighs. “Well… he’s considered royalty by his people…”

Seth sighs heavily. “Yumeri, I’m not the best person to ask about this but… if you like him, if you are in love with him, then tell him.”

Yumeri smiles at her friend. “Thanks Seth.”

y-y-y

Yumeri sneaks carefully into a tent outside the palace out toward the desert, the moon and stars her only light. She quickly pushes back the flap and steps into the tent, looking across the room at a sleeping white-haired figure. She quietly makes her way across the room and reaches a hand out to gently brush Bakura’s hair. She gasps when his eyes snap open and he flips her down onto the bed, pinning her down.

“Ra, Yumeri. Stop doing that.” Bakura growls, softening his grip. “One of these days I’m going to wind up hurting you.”

“I trust you.” Yumeri says sincerely. “But next time I’ll cause a big commotion with your lovely little band and make you come rescue me, if that’ll make you feel better.” She says jokingly.

Bakura chuckles for a moment. “You would, wouldn’t you. So, why are you here tonight of all nights?”

“I missed you.” Yumeri says, reaching a hand up to trace Bakura’s scar. “And I couldn’t sleep.”

Bakura takes Yumeri’s hand and kisses it. “Now that’s a lie. You purposely stayed up so you’d have an excuse. I told you to get some sleep.”

“Not all of it was a lie.” Yumeri murmurs. “I did miss you…” She struggles to pull herself up, but then settles for pulling Bakura down for a kiss.

y-y-y

“BAKURA!” Yumeri screams as the guards pull her away. “LET ME GO DAMMIT!” She punches the nearest one in the face, but is easily overwhelmed by the amount of soldiers. “Let me go! Let me- BAKURA!”

Light streams from the golden dragon around her neck at her last scream, as Bakura and Atemu are both sealed away and her heart stops.

y-y-y-y-y-y

Yume wakes up gasping for air in her hikari’s body, her violet eyes wide. ‘Oh Ra…! I- I remember. I remember everything. Bakura… Mariku… Atemu… Seth…’ Carefully she slips off the spare bed and walks out of the room. She tiptoes down the hall and peers in Ryou’s room. ‘They look so much alike when they’re asleep…’

Yume remains there a few minutes longer before going back to her room to get some sleep.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Lilac_eyed_cat: So Yume remembers everything?

Shadowed_dragon: Yup. Said she’d been having weird dreams for a white now and last night she had a few in a row that brought back her memory.

Lilac_eyed_cat: Marik wants to know which one.

Shadowed_dragon: I think she said Mariku and Bakura were both in one of them… Oh, and get this! My dragon pendant isn’t a Mil. Item. Lol.

Lilac_eyed_cat: Weird! So what is it?

Shadowed_dragon: It’s something like the symbol for the Dragon Guardian. Yume’s soul was locked into it because throughout the time she had it she stored excess magic and energy into it, which actually put a little of her soul in it. When Yume was killed by some of the soldiers for “treason”, her soul joinged the small piece in the pendant because her death was unjust.

Lilac_eyed_cat: You lost me. So, why was she killed.

Shadowed_dragon: Something to do with marrying Bakura.

Lilac_eyed_cat: O-O Well it’s no wonder they bicker like an old married couple- they are an old married couple.

Shadowed_dragon: lol. Don’t let Bakura or Yume hear you say that though. Bakura blames Yume for his sealing for some reason and won’t listen to her side of the story.

Lilac_eyed_cat: ?

Shadowed_dragon: (sighs) I’ll have Yume explain it to you when you get back here in winter.

Lilac_eyed_cat: You had better.

-D-R-A-G-O-N--O-F--T-H-E--S-H-A-D-O-W-E-D--L-I-G-H-T --D-R-A-G-O-N--O-F--T-H-E--S-H-A-

Keitaro: Something seems familiar about Malik's screenname.

Shiro: (already typing next chapter) Other story.

Keitaro: Oh yeah... (looks at story plans) Whoa... ending this soon, aren't you?

Shiro: Mmmm...

Kitsune: I thought that other story was 'Amethyst eye', not lilac.

Bast: It was, but she changed it.

PLEASE REVIEW

AN
: Well, Seto/Serenity is in the lead right now. I kinda figured it'd turn out with that pairing, but I just wanted to make sure. Voting's still going on though. Now... where did I put those plans at... (goes off in search of DOTSL plans)

NEXT CHAPTER- Chapter 17: Christmas Chaos
Months pass... (again) and then winter comes bringing with it the return of Malik and Mariku! You can expect the normal winter chaos- snowball fights, the yami's trying to kill each other using snowballs, people/spirits getting sick- you know, the usual. And Tama and Ryou discover mistletoe is evil.