Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Everybody Hates Leon ❯ It Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Everybody Hates Leon
Chapter One
Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh or the TV show Everybody Hates Chris (which inspired the title of this story)
Author's note: The kid in the first couple of chapters is Zigfried. Leon won't make an appearance until Chapter Four or thereabouts.
I didn't know quite what to expect. Ghosts, creepy music, thunder and lightning even. But no. This mansion was quite ordinary, apart from the fact that it was a mansion.
They'd been so secretive when they were interviewing me. Their story was that their six-year-old son's nurse was retiring and they needed a replacement. But... there were many inconsistencies. When I had called to say my plane had arrived in Europe, the woman who answered the phone had identified herself as the kid's nurse. Perhaps she was waiting to retire until I had learned the ropes. Yeah, that was probably it.
There was a small boy playing with a soccer ball on the front lawn. Poor kid. He looked too innocent and helpless to be weighed down with his parents' high expectations.
The kid stopped playing and looked at me. I greeted him, and he mumbled something back in German. Obviously, he could understand English but preferred not to speak it. I had taken German in college, so I was reasonably fluent in the language. However, there is always room for improvement, which is partly why I took this job. Of course, it would pay nicely too...but I digress.
By now, the boy was pointedly ignoring me, so I walked past him and knocked on the front door of the mansion. A very harried-looking woman answered. "Look, I'm sorry that his soccer ball landed in your flowerbed, but..." She trailed off as she realized I wasn't here to discuss flowerbeds. "Oh! I'm sorry! You must be the new servant. Come in!" she said.
The woman introduced herself as Gesina. She was in charge of the house for the time being because Frau von Schroeder was ill and...
"Excuse me," I interrupted. "I didn't know she was sick. What's wrong with her?" "No one knows for sure," Gesina replied. "For some reason, they don't want anyone to know what's wrong. A doctor comes to check on her sometimes, but he's been sworn to secrecy."
This is getting weirder and weirder, I thought. But then my train of thought was broken as Gesina said, "Master von Schroeder, please don't track dirt in the house. Here, give me your shoes-they're filthy!"
The house was so big that by the time I was shown most of the rooms, supper was ready. I ate with the family because I was to be a high-ranking servant.
I learned the hard way not to ask after Frau von Schroeder's health. Herr von Schroeder gave me a very long and very loud lecture about this when I dared to ask when she would get better.
After dinner, I was told that I was to meet with Frau von Schroeder in her bedroom. A servant led me to the door of the room. "You're so lucky!" she whispered in German. "Everyone is dying to know what's wrong with her. I can't take you any farther, though. Good luck!"
I walked into the room. It was nice enough (by nice I mean "like a five-star hotel"). However, it had a gloomy air to it. All the curtains and drapes were closed, so the only light source was a couple of ornate lamps.
These lamps were so dim that at first I thought I was the only person in the room. Then I saw Frau von Schroeder. She was sitting on the edge of her bed, her back to me. She was wearing a nightgown, and her red hair was arranged in a long, thick braid. When she finally noticed I was there, she turned around and...
Yay! Cliffhanger! Don't worry, I plan to update regularly (every week or two.) And many thanks to the person on Janime.info who suggested ways to improve this story (You know who you are if you're reading this ;) )