Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Everybody Hates Leon ❯ The Queen of Mean ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Two

Author's notes: The beginning of this story takes place before the Berlin Wall came down, so that is why there is a reference to West Germany in the flashback. I'll give you the full story timeline in a later chapter.

Disclaimer: My not-owningness of Yu-Gi-Oh is
unchanged...

I immediately realized what Frau von Schroeder's "illness" was. Even though she was wearing a loose nightgown, it was easy for anyone to see that Frau von Schroeder was very pregnant.

I couldn't understand. What was so bad about this that she had to hide? She should be happy. Just then, however, she snapped at me, "Well, are you going to stand around staring or get on with the meeting?"

I tried to not ask anything, but I have always been too curious for my own good. So I inquired if she was on bed rest or something. Frau von Schroeder answered, "Well, what does it look like!?" I answered, "But why? Is there a complication or something?"

She spat out, "No, everything is perfectly fine. That's the problem!" Of course, this was so confusing that I couldn't even think of anything to say. There was an awkward two minutes or so of silence in the room. Finally, Frau von Schroeder said, "Well, I brought you here so you could find out exactly why you were hired, so I might as well start at the beginning..."

FLASHBACK

She was lonely. She should be happy, she thought. Here she was, at one of the most elite Christmas parties in Europe. She had been seemingly happily married to a multimillionaire for eight years. At twenty-eight, she was still young and beautiful. Perhaps best of all, she had given her husband an heir, who at five was the darling of the West German paparazzi.

But that was only what other people saw. They were all jealous of her. They had no idea what it was really like for her. After their son was born, her husband showed no interest in sleeping with her. They had had separate bedrooms for four years now.

And here she was, at this nice party, in all her velvets and satins, feeling utterly miserable. Her husband had not even accompanied her to this party, preferring his work to her. Suddenly, she realized what this meant. For the first time in a while, she was free to do what she wanted.

A short time later, she started dancing with a British businessman. She had met him briefly before-he had come to Berlin for a meeting two years ago. She found him very easy to talk to. In less than an hour, he had convinced her to take a walk with him in the courtyard of the hotel where the party was being held. Just a short time after that, they were sneaking into his hotel room...

In the morning she flew back to Germany as if nothing had happened.

END FLASHBACK

"And it was easy to keep on pretending nothing had happened, for a while. Until...well, you can guess," Frau von Schroeder finished.

I am certain that by this point my lower jaw was touching the floor.

Then, seeming to forget that she had just spilled all her nasty secrets to me, Frau von Schroeder continued on in a businesslike tone, "Well, I guess you will be wanting to know what your actual job entails, so here is a list of your duties." She actually spoke the following as if she was reading off a list:

1. You will look after young Master von Schroeder for the next three months. He is too much for Gesina to handle by herself.

2. Once that...thing is born, (Yes, she actually said that!) You will spend all of your time with it. We will set up a suite of rooms for your use, and you will be given as much money as you need.

3. You are to speak to the child in English. We want...it... to pass as American, so that is why we hired you.

4. We do not want to see a trace of this child unless we say otherwise.

"Any questions?" she finished. I shook my head. Frau von Schroeder shouted, "Good. Now GET OUT OF MY ROOM!" I didn't need any more encouragement-I scampered out of there as fast as I could.