Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Everybody Hates Leon ❯ The Tournament ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]



Disclaimer (because mm.org fics need to have these now): I still own absolutely no part of Yu Gi Oh.

-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------

Like any subject Leon put his mind to, he quickly mastered Duel Monsters. Or at least I thought so. It was hard for me to tell for sure, because I got a headache every time Leon tried to explain all the rules.

But at any rate, Leon was quickly running out of competition in our local park. It got to the point that no one wanted to play with him anymore.

I could not let that happen. Not just when he was getting some friends! So I started looking around to see if there were any Duel Monsters tournaments in Germany.

January 2000

It took a while, but I finally found one! Unfortunately, I happened to see the advertisement in the middle of a crowded department store. Many people stared as I did a “victory dance” of sorts. It was lucky for Leon that he wasn’t with me, because he was fast approaching the age where everything I did was embarrassing and idiotic.

Not that he ever said that to my face, of course, but I could tell what he was thinking.

However, for once he was just as excited as I was when I told him what I had seen. We went to register as soon as we could.



The line for registering was nearly a quarter mile long. We ended up having to park the car some distance away from the actual building.

Several hours passed. I was hungry, and my feet hurt. But if Leon shared these complaints, he didn’t show it at all. He got more and more excited as the line moved forward approximately a millimeter at a time.

The sun was directly overhead as we finally got into the building. Even then, we had almost a half an hour longer to wait!

We finally reached the registration desk, though. It was very tall. Leon had to put his chin on the edge of the desk in order to see clearly. I would have scolded him, but I was only a few inches taller than him and was tempted to do the same thing!

The registration person was obviously in a hurry. He was supposed to check the ID of everyone, but had fallen back just to asking the people’s names.

“Okay. Name?” He asked boredly.

I replied, ‘Melissa Wilson. This is Leon.”

Okay, so MAYBE I could have been a bit more clear. But did I ever actually SAY Leon’s last name was Wilson? Nope. The guy just assumed it. Heh heh heh. I can definitely be tricky sometimes!

It was thus that Leon began his tournament career under an assumed name. Maybe this was technically illegal, but I thought it would be the best for both Leon and the adult von Schreoeders.



There was no way that little kiddie park games could prepare Leon for the rigors of an actual tournament. At first, he lost a lot. He considered giving up, but I encouraged him not to.

It was good that I did that, because Leon steadily improved. In just a month, he had finished in the top four of a tournament that involved hundreds of people!

I think Frau von Schroeder was beginning to suspect that we were doing something behind her back. I kept having to think up excuses for where we kept going, and these excuses soon got quite lame.

I think she may have even had someone following us.


May 2000

Leon had just won his first tournament. I suggested that we go to a restaurant and celebrate. Leon started to agree, but then abruptly left, saying that he had to go check something out.

It took him quite some time to come back. And when he did, something was definitely up. He was very quiet. Well, he had always been quiet, but now he seemed almost...depressed.

“Come on”, I said as we were in the restaurant, “What is bothering you? You won a tournament. You should be happy!”

Leon took a forkful of some meat dish that was most definitely not on our usual low-fat diet.

“Can you please stop bugging me? I know I sound rude, but it’s nothing you would understand. I’ll be fine!”

I raised an eyebrow, but left him alone.


Okay. I hope this chapter was decent!

I don’t think I need to explain what’s bothering Leon. I think everybody knows or can at least guess.

If you’re still stumped, here’s a hint: Let’s just say that Melissa was correct in thinking someone was following them.