Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Everybody Hates Leon ❯ Things Change ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: I am getting kind of sick of this story, so I’m afraid it might suck. But I really do want to finish it! I just want one chapter fic that I actually completed!

At least the Grand Prix part will be soon-maybe even the chapter after this.

Disclaimer: I still don’t own Yu Gi Oh.

-------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------


For as long as I had been working at the von Schroeder house, one thing had remained constant: nothing changed. A nuclear bomb could have exploded in the courtyard, and they’d just carry on with their empty lives as if nothing had happened.

But all of a sudden, things WERE changing. And I didn’t think I liked it.

First of all, Zigfried suddenly was very interested in spending time with Leon. As soon as Leon was done with his lessons for the day, he’d be whisked out the door for some top-secret mission.

He never got back until WAY past his bedtime, and neither he nor Zigfried ever told me what they were up to.

Nope, I did not like this new development at all.

Exactly how they were finding time to do this secret stuff, I had no idea. For there were many other changes occuring simultaneously.

Herr von Schroeder’s alcoholism finally appeared to be taking its toll. One day, he just left without a trace.

He hadn’t died. Or if he did, they were sure keeping it a secret, because there were no funeral plans whatsoever.

The rumor was that Herr von Schroeder had suffered a nervous breakdown and was living in a mental institution. No one knew for sure, though.

It was hard to tell whether Frau von Schroeder was happy or sad at her husband’s disappearance. Of course, we all new she hated him. But now that she had no one to fight with, she was extremely bored.

There were also rumors that the two had divorced, but again these were unconfirmed.

Whatever the case, Zigfried was now more or less in charge of...whatever the heck his father did! It was odd that I had never thought to find out what Herr von Schroeder’s occupation was. But then again, I did know that it paid a lot of money and was some kind of corporation, and that’s about all I can understand about business anyway!
Apparently, Leon had a role in this company too. One day, I found a briefcase in his room!

I was rather annoyed about that. Eleven-year-olds are not supposed to HAVE briefcases!

I said as much to Zigfried, but he never really paid attention.

Sometimes I missed the old Zigfried, as bratty as he may have been. At least then he had payed attention to me! Now he just saw me as yet another servant.

This attitude was rubbing off a bit even on Leon!

Oh sure, he was still as polite as ever to me, and he still acknowledged my existence, but he had definitely changed. He was colder; more distant.

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was growing up. But my Leon had been a baby practically yesterday! He couldn’t be growing up!

I remembered how my parents had said the same things when I was Leon’s age. Then, I had scoffed at them. Now, I was in the same position.

I wasn’t exactly young anymore either. I was starting to see gray hairs in my hairbrush, and my physique was not what it used to be.

I was pushing forty, and Leon was on the brink of being a teenager, and there was nothing I could do to change either of those facts.



December 2001

Whatever Zigfried was up to, he at least had enough charity to let Leon go for the holidays.

I guess I should be thankful that Germans love Christmas.

Leon did seem to revert back to his old self for a while. Someone (most likely Zigfried) had made it so both of us could join in on the festivities.

This was actually very pleasant, despite Frau von Shroeder’s usual ignoring of us.

I tried to thank Zigfried, but he just waved it off. He was just too busy working to really get into the holiday spirit.

As soon as he could, Zigfried vanished right back into his office.

One night shortly after Christmas, Leon walked up to me.
“I wanted to warn you about something. Zigfried said I could tell you, but no one else.”

I had the feeling I wouldn’t like this one bit, but let him talk anyway.

“Well, we’re planning something big. Not even I really know what it is, but it involves the business rivals from Japan. You remember when we went to that party, right?”

The jet lag, and that strange little boy. Yes, I remembered it all too clearly.

“Anyway, it will require us to travel again. Zigfried will let you come too. I’m not allowed to say anything more.”

Naturally, I had many questions.

“Just wait a minute, Leon! Where exactly are you traveling to? Is what you are doing safe? Why is your brother dragging you into this? When....?”

Leon cut me off at that point. He simply said that he could say no more, and went to bed.

Why had Zigfried not told me this before? I would have to accept his offer to go with them, and keep as close an eye on both of them as possible!