Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Eyes on Fire ❯ Invisible ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Eyes On Fire

By Tangey aka Yami Yuugi aka Pharaoh's Angel.

Notes: Alternate Universe, possible YYxY pairing in future.

A/N: I've been writing this story for a few months. I figured I should start posting stuff on this site again. It's been a couple of years since I've posted anything here. So here we go.

Disclaimer: I don’t own Yu-Gi-Oh!

Chapter One

------------

Yami sighed, heaving his backpack onto his shoulders. He was nervous. School hadn’t been something of great interest for him in the past. He couldn’t fathom the annoyance of transferring to a school in the middle of semester. However, it was all more than necessary.

Rain plummeted down from the heavens, dampening the pavement with each drop. Charcoal clouds covered the once beautiful sky, outlining a dreary day for the town of Domino.

Yami groaned at the rain, he stood underneath a carport, gazing at the depressing scene in front of his exotic amethyst eyes. His hair hung slightly limp due to the rain, thus causing annoyance rather than sadness.

His first day of high school in months… It had been a long time. Everything reminded him of the pain he felt months ago with the death of his father. Losing his only family member brought a complete sense of void in his young life.

Barely seventeen years old and forced into a foster home, Yami expected little happiness in his final year before he entailed freedom from the reigns of foster care.

Sighing softly, Yami walked into the downpour, finding himself thrown into a crowd of students rushing towards the school gates. Teenagers dressed in uniforms ran in the rain, talking excitedly amongst the gossip of a new student. After all, there was rarely a new student in the middle of a semester.

A bell rang loudly through the commotion sending the students into a herd towards the doors, curses and colorful profanity lightened the situation as a blond-haired male stepped towards, Yami raising a brow.

“Are you the new student that all the chics keep talkin about?”

Yami’s brows knitted in confusion. He hadn’t thought someone would speak of his appearance in a semi-large high school.

“Yes, today is my first day…”

The blond nodded, running his fingers through a mane of unruly locks, his honey eyes darted towards his watch. He rolled his eyes muttering loudly.

“Damn it, gonna be late again.” He held out his hand, smiling casually.

“The name’s Jou. What’s yours?”

“Nice to meet you, my name is Yami.” He shook the blond’s hand nervously, eyes downcast.

“The pleasure’s mine. I got to ya before the girls did. I think we might have a heart breaker on us here.” He chuckled, motioning towards Yami. He let go of Yami’s hand, turning towards the building. “I think we’ve gotten wet enough don’t ya think? Do ya need help finding your class?”

Yami shook his head, dazed at the thought. He hadn’t even thought of finding his classes. Hell, he hadn’t thought about anything since he started talking to Jou. Hell, he didn’t even care that he was soaking wet.

Clutching the straps of his bag against his shoulders, Yami spoke softly. “I do, actually. I just feel out of it I guess. I’m very nervous about today.”

Noticing the teen’s rigid posture, Jou nodded in understanding. “It’s cool, Yami. I’m sure it will be great. I’m not one to enjoy being new either.” He grinned, and motioned towards the school. “Let’s get ya to your class.”

Nodding once, Yami headed after his new friend. Maybe today wouldn’t be so bad.

- - - - -

The day progressed relatively slowly, each class experience held hushed whispers and odd stares throughout every period. Yami was baffled at the attention he received. He never enjoyed being the center of attention, if ever.

Luckily the teachers cared little of his sudden appearance into their classrooms. All they did was introduce him and tell him to take a seat, which Yami eagerly did.

Now, in his fourth period class, he found himself in English, thrown into a conversation about a movie he hadn’t seen with Jou. He tried to appear interested, but failed miserably. His eyes darted across the room, taking in the different cliques of boys and girls. All of them grouped together for their ‘group projects.’ Yet, there was one teen who sat by himself, eyes immersed within a gaming magazine.

The scene wasn’t as interesting as the person reading the magazine. A small boy sat quietly in the corner, reading a gaming magazine. His skin was extremely pale, matching that of snow. His hair mirrored Yami’s own spiked tresses. Yet, his eyes were an entirely different sight. A pair of slightly narrowed amethyst jewels sparkled in the light. His eyes remained on the magazine, oblivious to the other’s stare.

In his thoughts, this teen was exotic in his own right. Everything about him appeared handsome. He reminded Yami of a runway model.

Blinking for a few moments, Yami nudged Jou with his leg, bringing Jou back from his attempted panty tank attack on a glorious brunette.

Confused, Jou shot a stare at Yami. “What’s up man?”

Rolling his eyes, Yami motioned towards the small replica of himself. “Am I seeing things or is that kid look like me?”

Jou blinked a few times, turning his attention towards the boy reading the magazine. The gears turned in his head as he nodded in understanding.

“Oh, Yuugi?”

“Yeah, what’s up with him?”

Jou shrugged, tossing his ruler to the side. After all, operation panty tank was a failure. He rested his elbow on his desk, pointing at the small teen with a bored expression.

“He’s really quiet, Yams. He doesn’t speak much and doesn’t have any friends that I know of.”

“He doesn’t have any-- Wait did you call me Yams?”

Jou rolled his eyes, poking his friend on the shoulder. “Yeah, that’s your nickname. I always give my buddies nicknames.”

Deciding to move further, Yami spoke quickly. “Why doesn’t he have any friends? Surely he can’t be that bad.”

“Well, that’s where you’re wrong. Yuugi has a reputation around here. One that spells out, don’t mess with me.”

He didn’t understand the reasoning behind this comment. The thought that someone so small could cause a fear in anyone boggled his mind.

“That’s weird. He seems shy. I have a feeling that there’s more to him than skin deep.”

Jou scoffed and rolled his eyes. “Are you a poster boy for breaking down Yuugi’s shell of anti-social ness?”

“No, I know how he feels. I didn’t have many friends before I moved here.”

Jou remained silent, eyes shining as he took in the information. He didn’t want to pry.

“Yuugi’s quite a puzzle. He’s always quiet and remains isolated from everyone.” Jou mused, continuing further. “He has a bad ass car though.”

He ignored the last comment, least concerned about Yuugi’s car. Nothing meant more other than the reasoning behind the teen’s stoic nature.

“I’m going to talk to him.”

“Bad mistake, Yams. He’ll bite your head off.”

A low laugh echoed through the air, silencing Yami’s thoughts moments later. He gazed across the room, finding a subtle smirk on Yuugi’s pale face.

‘He couldn’t have heard that could he? All the way on the other side of the room? Does he have radar ears?’

Sighing, Yami gazed at the teacher’s desk, finding that it was empty once again. The damned instructor hadn’t been in her seat since their split up into groups. Taking advantage of this, he stood from his desk, walking towards Yuugi’s silent form.

Whispers escalated across the room, eyes landed upon his approaching form. No one ever did this on their first day. No one.

Yami stopped dead in his tracks as she stood a foot away from Yuugi. He cleared his throat, hoping to gain the attention of the smaller teen.

After a moment of complete silence, Yuugi gazed at the other teen with a raised brow. He continued to read his magazine, implying slight attention upon Yami.

“Hey, what are you reading?”

Yuugi raised the magazine up, showing off its cover. He didn’t say anything, continuing his venture into the world of video games.

He cleared his throat again, signaling an annoyed expression from Yuugi.

“My name is Yami. I wanted to say hi.”

Yuugi rolled his eyes and spoke softly, “I know who you are.” He paused, and muttered a quiet hello.

“Well then, why don’t you join me for the project?”

Yuugi sighed, clearly annoyed. “Already done.”

“Oh. Well then…”

“Yeah…” Yuugi then stood up, magazine in hand. He walked out of the classroom, eyes narrowed at Yami.

Moments later, the bell rang for end of class just as Jou tapped his friend on the shoulder.

“What the hell did you do? He looked ready to kill ya, Yams.”

Yami shook his head, gathering his things as he spoke. “I don’t know.”

There was something odd about Yuugi. He wanted to find out.