Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Family Bonds ❯ Chapter 14: Fun in the Sun ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Saying I own Yugioh is like saying the world ended on June 6, 2006. It hasn't happened and it's not gonna happen. (Obviously, as it's way past that date)

-F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M -I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-

Chapter 14

Kojiro Muto yawns as he looks over a bunch of important documents. He almost lazily signs one after re-reading it for the third time.

“Mr. Muto.”

Kojiro looks up to see his secretary standing at the door of his temporary office. “Yes?”

“Your son is on the phone.” She says.

“Thank you.” Kojiro says, picking up the phone. He smiles as the secretary leaves to give him privacy and leans back in his chair. “Hello, son.”

“Hey daddy!” Mokuba cheerfully replies through the phone. “How goes it in the U.S. of A?”

Kojiro sighs heavily, which makes Mokuba laugh and ask, “Is it really that bad?”

“Not really.” Kojiro replies. “It’ll be a while before everything finally gets arranged correctly though. So, how is everything over there? I haven’t heard from you all since you early last week.”

“School’s out and everyone’s bored.” Mokuba says. “Surprisingly, there’s really not much to do around here. Can you believe that there are no Duel Monster tournaments going on here? Apparently it’s just the championships this summer, but that’s over in the U.S. somewhere. California, I think is what Seto said.”

The gears in Kojiro’s head are turning. They have been since Mokuba said, “School’s out and everyone’s bored” and kicks into overdrive at, “no Duel Monster tournaments”. Kojiro smiles. “Is that so? Tell you what, I’m going to tell you how to find a summer get-away for you four and your new friends. It involves using your card keys (1), your laptops, and piecing things together.

“Once you figure things out, give Blue a call and give him his orders. Tell him that if there are any problems that he is to call me.”

“Okay, dad. Thanks.” Mokuba says. “I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

Kojiro chuckles. “Excited, are you?”

“Well, yes, but Jounouchi just finished cooking and I’m starving.” Mokuba explains.

“Go eat then.” Kojiro says. “Tell the others I say, ‘hello’.”

“I will! Bye!”

-click-

Kojiro is smiling as he hands up the phone. Then he remembers the stack of papers setting on his desk and his smile fades. “Back to work.”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“Mokuba, the card keys were made for security reasons, remember?” Seto patiently says. “Why would they have something about a summer get-away on them?”

“Well that’s what daddy told me.” Mokuba says stubbornly.

“And since it was Uncle who told him and made the keys, then there’s a ninety-nine point nine percent chance that it’s true.” Malik says. “Lets at least try it before we completely dismiss it.”

“I agree with Mokuba and Malik.” Tama says, tugging up the string on her card key, only to find it tangled with the gold chain attached to the dragon pendant.

“When’d you start wearing the pendant, Tama?” Mokuba asks. “I’ve never seen you wear it before now.”

“I’ve been wearing it for a few years now. I think I started wearing it in… December nineteen-ninety-nine.” Tama says as she tries to gently untangle the leather string and the gold chain.

Malik’s eyes darken and a small smirk plays across his face. ‘So that’s where she’s hiding. That old pendant of hers.’

After a minute or two, Tama gets the two necklaces untangled and lifts the card key off from around her neck. “Alright, so what did dad say exactly?”

“He told me that it involves using our card keys, our laptops, and piecing things together.” Mokuba replies.

“So lets put the keys in our laptops and see what happens.” Malik says. “I’ll go first.” He pulls his laptop closer to him and takes his own card key off from around his neck before sliding it into a slot on the side of his laptop. The laptop beeps in response and the screen goes black except for a white blinking line.

“Type in your own password instead of the emergency one. We don’t need any alarm systems going off.” Seto says. His curiosity has gotten the better of him already.

Malik nods and types in his password and then sits back to wait. He doesn’t have to wait too long before a picture of a beach at sunset pops up.

Mokuba looks at it for a minute and then takes off his own card key and slides it into his laptop. He types in his password and waits a few seconds before he gets a picture of an airplane.

Tama goes next and gets a picture of a house.

They all look to Seto.

“Come on, Seto. Please? You know you’re just as curious as the rest of us.” Mokuba begs.

Seto sighs heavily and then takes off his card key. After pulling his laptop closer to him, he slides the card key into the laptop. The screen goes blank except for the blinking white line just like it did for the others and he types in his password. Instead of a picture of a place or an object, Seto gets a map.

“You know, I was hoping for something a little more challenging.” Tama says.

“So does everyone agree that the secret place is a beach house that we have to take a plane to get there and that the map shows the way to get there?” Malik asks.

“All of us except for Seto.” Mokuba says with a grin, knowing that they’ve beyond convinced Seto that the card keys hold a secret vacation spot. Now all they have to do is make plans.

Seto rolls his eyes. “Lay off. I believe you all now that I’ve seen that there actually is a secret location on the darn keys. Are we going to begin making plans or not?”

See?

“I’ll call Blue!” Mokuba volunteers.

“I’ll go tell the others. They should all be at Yugi’s watching the California Duel Monster finals.” Malik says.

“So that leaves us to make check lists and make arrangements to turn off the electricity and gas and everything else in the house for the rest of the summer.” Tama says to Seto.

“Alright. I’ll see you all later.” Malik says, grabbing his helmet and keys.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“WOOO-HOOO!!!” Katsuya joyfully shouts as he catches sight of the plane that they’ll be traveling in. “This is gonna be the best summer in the history of summers!”

Shizuka and Honda look away in embarrassment, Honda muttering, “Jounouchi…” You’d think by now that they’d be used to Katsuya’s spontaneous bursts of childish energy.

The three are all prepared for the beach vacation and each have one suitcase and, in Katsuya and Shizuka’s case, a small bag as well.

Shizuka’s wearing a light green tank top and a floral skirt with a green background. A pair of cheap sunglasses rest of the top of her head.

Honda’s wearing a white shirt and faded blue jeans that have been messily patched and sewn up. Unable to make the sunglasses stay on top of his head, Honda has stuck his on the collar of his shirt.

Joey’s wearing a green t-shirt with some English words written on them. (Tama never did tell him what they meant, but he’s working on translating it!) To be exact, the shirt reads, “Caution: I bite” and there’s a picture of a cute cartoon puppy under it. He’s also wearing his old jeans and a pair of sneakers.

“Tamashira and Mokuba Muto!”

The three look at the open door to the plane just in time to see Tama and Mokuba running out of it and down the plan steps laughing loudly.

Tama’s wearing a pair of baggy beige pants and a dark red halter top that has a black Chinese dragon on it. Her hair’s pulled up into a ponytail and she’s wearing a dark red baseball cap.

Mokuba’s wearing a short-sleeved blue and light blue striped shirt and a pair of dark blue swim trunks. He’s even pulled his hair back into a low ponytail so it stays out of the way. He’s also carrying something.

Suddenly Seto charges out of the plane door and down the steps in nothing but a Blue-Eyes White Dragon beach towel. Shizuka squeaks and looks away while Katsuya blushes and tries not to stare.

“Jounouchi! Take it and run!” Mokuba yells, tossing whatever it is he’s carrying to Katsuya as he runs by.

Katsuya catches it and begins running without looking at what it is, thankful for the distraction. Meanwhile, Tama and Mokuba stop running and Seto begins chasing after Katsuya instead of his siblings.

Malik stands at the doorway of the plane to watch the theatrics unfold. He’s dressed in his usual lavender-lilac colored shirt and beige baggy pants that are similar to Tama’s.

After a minute or two of standing there and watching Seto chase Katsuya, Malik catches Shizuka’s eye and gestures for her and Honda to bring their things onto the plane. Shizuka nods and taps Honda on the shoulder, whispering to him that they should get their stuff on the plane and get their seats.

Honda immediately takes Shizuka’s suitcase and bag, along with his own suitcase, and manages to carry the three heavy pieces of luggage over to the plane steps before his arms can’t take the strain any longer and he has to rest.

Shizuka giggles, a little amused by Honda’s actions and at the same time annoyed that he thinks she’s not strong enough to carry her own bags. Malik just rolls his eyes and walks down the steps.

“Looks like you could use some help.” Malik comments.

Honda shakes his head. “It’s fine. I’ve got it.” He reaches for the suitcases and begins lifting them up again.

“The last thing you need is the begin vacation with sore arms.” Malik says. “Let Blue put them up for you.” He turns toward the plane door and yells, “Hey Blue! We’ve got two suitcases down here for you!”

A young man appears at the doorway, looking nothing at all like what you’d think a bodyguard would look like. Wavy black hair stays pulled back by a piece of pale blue ribbon, the dark bangs making his ocean blue eyes stand out even more, and a silver and gold chained necklace lays around his neck. And he’s wearing a white t-shirt and dark blue swim trunks.

“What do I look like? Your personal bag-boy?” Blue questions in an annoyed tone.

Malik smirks. “No, but if I remember correctly you’re being paid extra and you’re coming on vacation with us.”

Blue pauses for a moment, a mental debate going on behind his eyes. “I frickin’ hate it when you’re right. D’ya know that?” He says as he comes down the stairs. He pauses halfway down when something catches his eye. “What in blue blazes?”

Unsure of how to take Blue’s odd phrase, the three turn around to see what’s going on just in time to see Seto tackle Katsuya to the ground.

“Ahh… looks like Seto’s found a new interest. It’s about time.” Blue comments off-handedly.

“What’s that mean?” Honda asks.

Blue blinks. “You mean you don’t know?” He walks down the rest of the steps and takes up a fascination with the suitcases. “Well, it ain’t my place to tell. I’ll just be taking the bags now. Might I suggest that you request for Shira (2), Mokie, Seto, and blondie to hurry up. We really ought to leave soon.” He suggests, easily picking up the suitcases. With a grin, he carries them onto the plane.

“You two go on up. Yugi and Anzu are already here.” Malik says. /“Apparently I’ve been designated as the mature one and therefore the responsibility of dragging Seto off of Jounouchi rests on me.”/ He mutters in English. He notices the two blanks looks he receives and sweat drops. He hadn’t even noticed that he was muttering in English. “Ignore what I just said. Just go ahead on the plane and I’ll get the others.”

Honda and Shizuka walk up the steps and get on the plane together. Honda plays the part of a perfect gentleman and lets Shizuka go first and choose the seats.

Meanwhile, Malik makes his way over to Seto and Katsuya while shooting disapproving looks at Tama and Mokuba. He reaches the two boys, who are arguing like usual, and crosses his arms over his chest.

“Stop acting like children and get on the plane!” Malik snaps. “Jounouchi, give Seto whatever it is that Tama and Mokuba stole from him. Seto, get off of Jounouchi before Blue comes back out here and yells some random, embarrassing, crude comment.”

It’s at this moment that Seto realizes he’s straddling Katsuya and his cheeks promptly turn a light pink color.

“Either that or the tabloids will somehow get a picture.” Mokuba comments. “Like that one time at that one fancy party when some people got it into their heads that Seto and Tama were married and I was their son.” He wrinkles his nose. “That was weird.”

“Yeah, and the fact that dad kept showing people pictures from that damn play had nothing to do with it.” Tama says sarcastically. “C’mon, lets leave Malik to tell off Seto for making a fool out of himself and go get on the nice shiny plane.” She takes Mokuba’s hand and the two skip into the plane together, somehow getting up the steps.

Katsuya sweat drops, but the other two don’t, somewhat used to Tama’s completely random ‘childish-antics attacks’. Seto does frown though and glances to Malik, conveying a message with his eyes.

‘She’s getting worse.’

Malik closes his eyes and looks away as he nods. ‘I know.’

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“I don’t see why the hell you invited him!” Tama shouts angrily, violet coloring invading her lilac eyes.

Malik’s eyes flash dangerously, his temper beginning to best him. “Because he’s my friend! How fair is it that you get to invite the others, but I can’t even invite one person without my head getting chewed off!” He yells back.

“If you have such a problem with the others going then you should have told about it sooner!”

“I don’t have a problem with them! Why do you have such a problem with Ryou!”

“WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON OUT HERE!” Blue bellows.

Tama and Malik immediately fall silent, but continue to glare at one another.

Blue looks back and forth between the two of them, easily assessing what’s going on. “Tama, up front. Malik, sit down.” He says calmly, making everyone present shiver. A threatening, dangerous tone can be detected in his voice, which is one of the reasons why Kojiro hired him.

Tama shuffles up to the cockpit where Seto is driving and takes a seat in the co-pilot’s seat. Seto ignores her, concentrating on getting everyone to the beach safely.

Meanwhile, Malik takes a seat away from everyone else in an effort to calm himself down. Closing his eyes, he tries his best to disperse the negative emotions he feels and slips into a meditative state.

Everyone else shifts uneasily and tries to avert their attention to something else. Like… clouds. Of course, it would help if there were clouds to look at.

Ryou looks particularly uneasy as he stares at the floor. ‘If I had known that me being here would cause this much trouble I wouldn’t have come. It was already a bad idea with all the blackouts I’ve been having. Not to mention when I don’t remember entire days.’

“Penny for your thoughts.” Blue says kindly as he sits down beside Ryou. He chuckles when Ryou’s head jerks up to face him. “Relax, I don’t bite.”

“I- I’m sorry for being such a bother.” Ryou murmurs. “If I had known-”

“I’m glad you came. “Blue interrupts. “Malik’s always had the most trouble making friends. Both him and Seto, actually. It’s nice to see that Malik has a friend he cares a lot about. Especially since-” He cuts himself off. “Well, he just doesn’t make friends easily. Malik and Seto have been like that ever since I met them, which was… six? Yes, a little over six years ago.”

“So, whaddya do?” Katsuya questions, dropping into the conversation.

The others are watching Yugi and Mokuba duel for fun.

“I’m their bodyguard.” Blue replies.

This clearly wasn’t what Katsuya or Ryou were expecting, judging by the shocked looks on their faces.

“Sounds like they’ve got super overprotective parents.” Katsuya jokes.

Blue chuckles. “It’s just their dad. And he’s got a pretty good reason for hiring me as a bodyguard. Number one, he needed someone to baby-sit them. Number two, I seriously needed the job. And the all important, magical number three, he’s got quite a few enemies that wouldn’t mind getting a hold of his kids.”

“Man, what does this guy do to piss so many people off?” Katsuya wonders.

“Have you ever heard of the Muto Gaming Company?” Blue asks, his tone suggesting that the question is irrelevant and unimportant. His eyes state otherwise.

“Sure. It’s a pretty big company and in the top three with Industrial Illusions and Kaiba Corporation.” Katsuya says, either not noticing or altogether ignoring the surprised looks from his friends, who have paused in the middle of the game to listen.

“Does Mr. Muto work for that company?” Ryou asks.

For the third time that day, Blue chuckles. “Does he work for the company.” He repeats. “Boys, and ladies,” Blue nods his head at Anzu and Shizuka. “Mr. Kojiro Muto is the CEO of Muto Gaming Company. Actually, he’s a lot more. He’s the very founder of Muto Gaming Company. Shira and Kiba are what the higher ups call the ‘true’ heirs of the company, but Mr. Muto has made it quite clear that Mokie, Seto, and Malik also inherit the company.

Malik, who’s been out of his meditative state long enough to know what they’re talking about, sarcastically says, “ It’s ever-so-comforting to be reminded that we’re worth millions just because of our relation to Uncle and the fact we’re heirs. Thanks a bunch, Blue.”

Blue smirks and salutes. “No problem at all. I’m just doing my job.”

“And sometimes I hate you for it.”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“Man… check out this place.” Katsuya says, peering out the window of the limousine they’re now all in. “I’ve never seen this many trees in my entire life.”

“See, this is the treatment you get when you’ve got a rich friend. Or friends in this case.” Tama jokes. “And if you think this is cool, then you’ll find the view by the house incredible.”

“Who who’s idea was it to have a white limo with blue decals and white and blue leather interior?” Honda asks, having walked around the car several times before they all piled in.

“Seto.” Tama, Malik, and Mokuba say in unison. Even a muffled, “Seto.” can be heard from up front where Blue is driving.

“He’s got a slight obsession with the Blue-Eyes White Dragon.” Malik explains.

“It’s not an obsession.” Seto mutters.

“Yeah, Seto calls it ‘fascination’. We call him crazy.” Malik adds.

“It’s better than your absurd obsession with Tama’s dragon of chaos.” Seto shoots back.

“It’s the Dragon of Chaotic Shadows (3), for your information.” Malik tells him. “All together the three form the Dragons of Chaos.”

“Enough about the dragons already!” Mokuba exclaims. “We didn’t come here to argue about Duel Monsters, we came here to relax and have fun. And I don’t know about you guys, but the first thing that I want to do is go swimming.” He says.

“How far is the beach from where we’re staying?” Anzu asks curiously.

Mokuba smiles secretively. “Oh, not far.”

Katsuya groans. “That’s the same thing you told us on the plane and it took hours just to get here. So tell me, what’s your definition of ‘not far’?”

“First, on the plane you asked ‘how long’ and I told you ‘not long’. It’s completely different from ‘not far’.” Mokuba says.

“Oh. Right.”

The limo lapses into silence for a few minutes. Then Anzu catches sight of the house in the distance.

“Hey, look you guys! It that where we’re going to be staying?”

The others peer out of the windows to get a glimpse of the house as they drive around a curve. They barely get a look at it before the road curves toward the house.

“It looked so little.” Shizuka says. “Are we all really going to fit in it?”

Mokuba laughs. “Don’t worry. It may look like a little log cabin, but there’s plenty of space. Of course, most of us will have to double up for bedrooms, but that’s not that bad.”

“There are six rooms in the house.” Malik informs them. “So all of us will have to double up. Blue will be the only one with a room of his own. And it would be best if we settled who’s sleeping where now instead of later.

“Make sure the person you choose to room with is someone you get along with. It’ll be hard to switch rooms around later.” Mokuba chimes in. “I’m gonna share a room with Seto! Is that alright?” He asks.

Seto nods. “It’s fine.”

“I wanna bunk with Yugi!” Tama says suddenly. For most of the ride she has been silent, just staring out the window while answering Yugi and Shizuka’s questions or comments now and then.

“It’ll be fun!” Yugi agrees. “Just like when we were kids except this time without Disney movies and sleeping bags.”

“Does this mean I get to play with your hair again?” Tama jokes.

Yugi laughs. “I hope you brought something to tame my hair first!”

They reach the house just a few minutes later and begin taking luggage out of the limo. Meanwhile, Blue unlocks the door and slides it open, mindful of the curtain hanging behind the glass. He steps inside and looks around to make sure it’s safe and to check the place out. This is the first time he’s actually been to the beach house.

After looking around, he heads back to the sliding glass door and removes the curtain so it’s out of the way. Then he slides the door back open and walks outside to see if anyone needs any help.

“All safe?” Seto questions.

Blue nods with a cheerful smile. “Yup! Just be mindful of that rug in the living room. The corners are folded up a bit and I’d rather not have anyone trip over it.” He winks at Tama, who turns red from embarrassment and mutters something along the lines of, “Just because I tripped over the rug that one time…”

“Try five.” Mokuba corrects with a grin.

“In one day.” Seto adds.

“I hate you both.” Tama informs them, picking up her suitcase and bag. “C’mon, Yugi. Lets go pick our room out.”

Tama walks into the house in the direction of the bedrooms with a giggling Yugi following her. It isn’t long before they head a heavy thud and a loud curse. Tama has tripped over the rug.

“Should we go check on her?” Anzu asks.

At the same time, Ryou asks, “Will she be okay?”

“No and yes.” Mokuba answers their questions.

“Tama’s had more accidents than should be allowed and hasn’t gotten hurt even once.” Seto tells them. “Or more precisely, she has never had a broken bone or concussion. She’s gotten plenty of bruises, cuts, scrapes, a few sprains, and a scar or two.”

“That’s actually kind of cool. I wouldn’t mind having her luck.” Katsuya comments. “Although I could do without the clumsiness.”

“We all could.”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Eventually the others pair up with their chosen roommate and go pick out what room they want. Yugi and Tama have claimed one of the attic rooms, which leaves one more attic room and four first floor rooms. There would be another room in the small basement, but it’s being used for storage.

Malik and Ryou take the other attic room, Seto and Mokuba take a room in the back that has no windows, Katsuya and Honda choose the room down the hall from Seto and Mokuba’s, Shizuka and Anzu take the room on the other side of the house, and blue takes the room closest to the front door.

For what little time they have left, they go out and explore the beach that’s right on the property. They also find a large dock that has a roof on it. Hoisted up in the dock are three jetskii’s and a pontoon boat.

“Man, this place is awesome!” Honda exclaims. “Where are we, anyway? I’ve never seen a beach like this before.”

“It’s a lake beach somewhere in England.” Mokuba says dismissively. “Dad bought it one summer and had the house built. I think it’s suppose to be our emergency house because it’s really secluded out here.”

“It makes the perfect summer house.” Anzu says, using her hand to shield her eyes from the sun while she looks around. “It’s really nice out here.” She pauses and turns to face Mokuba. “Did you say England?”

Mokuba nods. “Yeah, that’s why it took so long for us to get here. Although it wasn’t really that long.” He gives Seto a suspicious look. “Just how fast were we going, Seto?”

Seto turns away and mutters something.

The others watch in surprise as Mokuba starts yelling at Seto about airplane safety and how fast it is safe to go. Some of it he yells in English and a little in French. To everyone else’s amusement, Seto just tunes his brother out before scooping him up and tossing him into the water.

The day ends with Tama and Katsuya kicking everyone out of the kitchen to cook dinner. Mokuba gets the job of standing guard. Dinner is served as the sun sets and after that they all head to bed, exhausted.

-F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-- F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-

(1) Yeah, I don't really remember what the little cards that Seto and Mokuba are for in the series, although I do know that Seto's has a picture of Mokuba inside it. Basically, the cards for this story are used usually for security reasons and they each hold a different picture of a group family photo on one side and a picture of someone of their choosing on the other side.

(2) 'Shira' is Blue's nickname for Tama, if you couldn't tell. He always calls her that unless he's using her full name.

(3) I haven't mentioned anything from Tama's deck yet... this card carried over from DOTSL and COTLE as did it's two sibling cards. They are The Dragon of Chaotic Light, The Dragon of Chaotic Darkness, and The Dragon of Chaotic Shadows. I made them up. And although they're rare, they're not the most powerful cards ever when they're alone. (Less than the Red-Eyes, really.)

0-0-0-0

Shiro: Man... if you all think that this was a long chapter, wait until you see the next one. It really ran away with me.

Bast: Hey, we can blame Damian and his devil car for the length.

Shiro: Yeah! We can! *laughs* Now, I've got lots of typing to do for chapter 15. It's roughly.... 10 sheets front and back on college ruled notebook paper. I'm guessing it'll be about 12 pages or so on the computer. Woo-hoo.

Damian: Oh sure, blame me and the damn car.

Shiro: Yup. I am. Nyaa! (sticks out tongue) Back to typing!

NEXT CHAPTER: Waffles, road trip, and a station wagon.

!!! NOTE !!!

Unfortunently, there won't be any updates for a while until I can get myself to write again. It may be two weeks or more. There's not much to say about the matter except that a family member of mine passed away yesterday. I will be trying to write though, and I will finish all of the stories I'm working on eventually. I've put too much time and effort into working out story plans and coming up with idea's not to.

~Kishiro Kitsune