Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Family Bonds ❯ Chapter 19: An Unwanted Surprise ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Saying I own Yugioh is like saying the world ended on June 6, 2006. It hasn't happened and it's not gonna happen. (Obviously, as it's way past that date)

-F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M -I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-

Chapter 19: An Unwanted Surprise

Two months have passed since spring break and school is beginning to come to and end. For most of them it means that the next school year will be their last unless they fail or go to college.

Sometime during the past two months there have been two new additions to the Domino City group: Otogi and Miho. Otogi became an “official” member of the group after he managed to befriend Tama over an important history project and saved Shizuka when some guys were picking a fight with her. Honda is the reason that Miho is in the group, as he has finally gotten the blue-haired girl to go out with him.

Mai is commonly seen with the girls when she has time off from her job at a club in downtown Domino, but she isn’t included as part of the main group.

One night toward the end of school the girls- Tama, Anzu, Shizuka, Mai, and Miho- decide they need a girl’s night out. With his sister out of the house and Malik and Mokuba having other plans, Seto decides to ask Katsuya he has wanted to ask for a while now.

0-0-0-0

“Seto! Have you seen my blue bandana?” Tama yells from upstairs where she is getting ready for her night out with the other girls.

“Mokuba had it last! Check his top dresser drawer!” Seto yells back. With a sigh, he takes a seat on the couch and picks up the cordless phone on the table beside the couch. He winced when he hears Tama stumble and fall. Then he dials Katsuya and Shizuka’s phone number.

“Hello?” Shizuka answers the phone, almost completely out of breath.

“Hello Shizuka. Is Katsuya there?” Seto asks, not even noticing his slip-up of referring to the blonde by his first name.

Shizuka giggles. “Yeah. I’ll put him on.”

Seto only has to wait a few seconds before Shizuka hands the phone to her brother.

“Seto?”

Seto smiles at the sound of Katsuya’s voice. “Hey Jounouchi, are you doing anything tonight?”

There is a moment of pause on the other end as Katsuya tries to recall if he made any plans. “No. Why?”

“Meet me at the park at the gazebo near the pond in twenty minutes.”

0-0-0-0

Twenty minutes later Seto is sitting by himself in the gazebo, waiting for Katsuya to arrive. Every few seconds he glances down at the watch around his wrist, wondering where Katsuya is.

A minute or so later Katsuya runs into the gazebo panting heavily. He waits and catches his breath before he says anything. “Sorry I’m late. I had to explain to my dad where I was goin’ and how long I’ll be out. I told him I’d be back by ten. I know that doesn’t give us much time or anything.” He shrugs. “But I don’t live in the best neighborhood, so I can’t stay out late.”

Seto looks concerned. “What about Shizuka? I have a feeling that she’ll be out pretty late with the other girls.”

“She’s going to stay over at Anzu’s tonight.” Katsuya replies. “Dad practically made her find someone who would let her sleep over. He probably would have agreed to let her sleep over at Honda’s if he had to. And that’s not normal, since dad even hates it when I have Honda over at our place even for a minute or two.”

“What if you were to stay with myself, Mokuba, Tama, and Malik for the night?” Seto asks.

Katsuya shakes his head. “No. I’d feel better being with dad. He’s still-” He cuts himself off, not wanting to get into his dad’s old drinking problems. “He’s not feeling well.” He finishes lamely.

Seto frowns, getting the feeling that Katsuya is hiding something from him, but decides not to push it. For now. Instead he holds out a hand and asks, “Ready to go?”

Katsuya takes Seto’s hand. “Lets go.”

0-0-0-0

June 10, 2007

Isis Ishtar, now twenty-one years old, steps out of the busy Domino City airport and looks around. With her head held high, she walks away from the building carrying a single beige bag. She has only one destination in mind:

10 Taiga Road

Domino City, Japan.

0-0-0-0

Noon finds the residents of the Dragon’s Den outside doing yard work and goofing off. Tama and Mokuba are pulling weeds from around the house where the bushes and flowers are, Seto is clipping the bushes back, and Malik is inside getting them all something to drink.

“Break time!” Malik cheerfully announces, walking out onto the porch with a tray. “I’ve got lemonade and cookies. Odd combination, but it’s still good!”

“It’s a snack and a drink, so I’m not gonna complain.” Tama says as she pulls off her dirt and grass stained gloves and sticks them in the pocket of her overalls.

Mokuba does the same as Tama while Seto puts the shears he was using away in the garden box beside him.

Then they all join Malik on the porch and sit down to enjoy the snack. About ten minutes into their break the phone rings and Seto and Mokuba race to get it, leaving Tama and Malik alone on the porch. Then Malik’s Instant Messenger alert goes off upstairs and Malik excitedly goes to answer the message, knowing that it’s Ashling.

This leaves Tama all alone on the porch with the tray on which the plate of cookies and the glasses of lemonade rest. With a soft sigh, she lies down on the cool concrete and closes her eyes to give them a break from the bright summer sun.

She ends up drifting in and out of consciousness for a few minutes as she waits for her brothers to return from their phone call.

“Excuse me, miss?”

Tama’s eyes snap open and she sits up quickly to see whom the unfamiliar voice belongs to. She looks in confusion at the dark skinned woman in front of her. “Yes? Can I help you?”

“My name is Isis Ishtar. I’m looking for my younger brother Malik.”

Tama’s eyes widen. “You-” She cuts herself off. “Come inside. I’ll get Malik.” She stands up, picking up the tray as she does so. Carefully balancing the tray in one hand, she manages to open the door without dropping anything. “Would you like anything to drink, Miss Ishtar?”

“No thank you, Miss…?” Isis trails off, realizing she doesn’t even know her cousin’s name.

“Tamashira Muto. But please call me Tama.” She says. “I need to put this tray in the kitchen and then I’ll get Malik. If you’d like, you can go into the living room. My brothers Seto and Mokuba should be in there. Seto’s the tall one.”

Isis gives a short bow. “Thank you.”

“We’re family, and its no problem.” Tama says dismissively.

Ten minutes later Isis is seated comfortably in a chair across from the couch Mokuba and Seto are on. The three of them are exchanging childhood stories, some with Malik in them and others without.

Upstairs Tama is trying to coax Malik to go downstairs with her without revealing that his sister is there.

“Come on Malik, I’ve got a surprise for you downstairs.” Tama says. “You have to come down.”

Malik waves her off. “Tama, this is one of the few times that Ash and I have been up at the same time!”

Tama raises an eyebrow. “Oh, so she’s ‘Ash’ now, is she?” She asks teasingly, already making a plan to get him to go downstairs.

Malik blushes and mutters, “Shut up.”

Tama grins. “Malik and Ashling sitting in a tree!”

Malik types a quick last note to Ashling before he jumps up out of his chair. “That’s it! Prepare to face my wrath!”

Tama laughs and starts running for the stairs. “K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes love,” She squeaks as Malik nearly catches up to her and then jumps down the remaining stairs. “Then comes marriage,” She dashes through the living room and ducks behind the couch.

“Then comes Malik with a baby carriage!” Mokuba finishes the song.

“TAAAAAAAMMMMMAAAAAAAAA!” Malik roars, leaping down the last few stairs. He stops short when he sees Isis sitting on the couch. His eyes widen and he takes a step back in disbelief. “I- Isis?”

Isis smiles softly. “Hello Malik.”

Malik nearly faints in shock, but quickly manages to recover. “How- why? How?”

“Articulate today, aren’t we?” Tama teases from her spot behind the couch.

“Father passed away recently. I believe it was due to a heart attack.” Isis explains. “I took the chance to get out of there and come find you, as you are now the head of the Ishtar family.”

The shock Malik felt when he first saw his sister returns. “I- WHAT?!”

“You are now the head of the Ishtar family.” Isis repeats. “He may have been angry that you left all those years ago, but he still had you named as the heir. If you don’t mind, there are some things you need to know.”

Malik crosses the room and takes a seat on the couch beside Mokuba. Tama takes that as her cue to get out from behind the couch to join them on it by squeezing in beside Mokuba and Seto murmuring an affectionate, “Budge up, brat.”

Mokuba gets up so Tama can sit and then gets back on the couch and lies across their laps with his head resting on the armrest on Seto’s side.

“Go ahead.” Malik tells Isis. “What does being the head of the family involve?”

“First, you’re entitled to the Ishtar family fortune which is made up of gold, old texts, legends, and tablets located within the tomb.” Isis says. “You are allowed to abolish old Ishtar rules-”

“Good.” Malik interrupts. “The first one to go is the whole ‘the tomb keepers must remain underground until the pharaoh returns’ thing. I mean, how the hell is the pharaoh suppose to find us underground? And who says he’ll ever return?”

Isis sighs heavily. “The next thing is that you must find a wife by the time you’re eighteen if you expect to lead the family.”

Malik blinks once. And then twice. “WHHHHAAAAT!?”

“Luckily for you, mother has done that for you.” Isis continues. “When she was a young girl she and her best friend made a pact that if one of them had a daughter and the other a son and the two were around the same age then the two would marry. By using a combination of magic and technology I have found out that her best friend has two daughters and a son, all of whom are close to your age.”

“Well damn.” Tama mutters.

“Yeah, that about sums it up.” Malik says.

“I apologize for breaking the news so early,” Isis says. “but you really did need to know as soon as possible. I have plane tickets to America for five days from now.”

“So soon?” Seto questions.

Isis nods. “Yes. I assumed it would be best if they have the summer to get to know one another.”

Malik is silent for a moment, mixed emotions swirling around his mind clouding his judgment and actions. He gestures to Mokuba to let him up and Mokuba obediently moves his legs off of Malik’s lap.

Eyes cast to the ground, Malik gets up and walks upstairs without a word. Seconds later they hear a door shut.

“I suppose he took it better than I expected him to.” Seto comments coldly. “Miss Ishtar, you are lucky he didn’t explode with you telling him he has to find a wife by the time he’s eighteen. You’ll be lucky if any of us get him out of that room in time to leave.” He glances down at Mokuba. “Let me up. I’m going to go talk to Malik. You and Tama can get changed and start on dinner. Tama, you can either borrow my clothes or convince Mokuba to let you borrow something of his.”

Mokuba sits up so that Seto can get up and then he and Tama wait until Seto has gone upstairs before they stand up.

“You’ll have to excuse Seto. He’s really protective of all of us.” Tama says. “Come on, I’ll show you to the guestroom, Isis. Mokuba, go on upstairs and change. And if you’ll let me borrow something of yours then just set it out for me.”

Mokuba nods and then goes upstairs to get changed while Tama stays downstairs and takes Isis to the guestroom down the hallway from the living room. Once Tama’s done, she heads upstairs to change into clean clothes. Then she and Mokuba go back downstairs to start on dinner with help from Isis.

The days pass rather solemnly with little to no sight of Malik, who remains locked in his and Tama’s room unless he has to use the bathroom. Seto is the only one he lets in, so Tama sleeps in Mokuba and Seto’s room and cuddles with Mokuba all night.

In the four days before they leave, the three Muto’s get to know Isis and find they getting along well with their cousin, although they do find her a little strict.

On the fifth day Isis is here, which is also the day she and Malik are leaving for the U.S., Malik finally comes out of his room dressed and ready to go with his suitcase and another bag packed.

The others, including Isis, are surprised by this since they all expected Malik to refuse to go and remain locked up in his room.

The blonde Egyptian remains quiet throughout the entire morning and even throughout the ride to the airport and the long flight to California. He speaks at the California airport, but it’s only to tell Isis he’s going to get something to eat and ask her if she wants anything. After that he falls silent once more.

Several hours and two more airplane flights later they land at the final airport in North Carolina and Isis rents a car so they can get to wherever it is they’re going. By this time, Malik is wiped out and tired of airplanes, so when he gets in the car after putting his stuff in the trunk he’s out in a matter of minutes.

Over three hours later Isis pulls into a gravel driveway and pulls down to where five other cars are, one of which looks like it’s being worked on, and parks the car.

“Malik,” Isis gently taps her brother’s shoulder. “Malik, wake up. We’re here.”

Malik cracks open his eyes and then sits up straight and yawns while stretching out his arms. He curses when his hand hit’s the side of the car.

Isis frowns but says nothing about Malik’s language. “Lets go, Malik. They should be expecting us.”

Malik grumbles something under his breath and then opens the car door and gets out. Once he shuts the door he stretches again, this time without hitting anything.

Unable to stall the inevitable, Malik finds himself inside the house with Isis in less than five minutes. He shifts uncomfortably as the father, a man with dark brown hair and blue eyes, glares at him. A few feet away from him Isis converses easily with the mother, a woman with highlighted blonde hair and blue eyes.

“Kids, come downstairs!” The mother yells up the stairs.

“Coming!” Comes four different voices, two of which are guys’.

It takes less than a minute for the first person to get downstairs, a fourteen-year-old girl with light brown hair that falls above her shoulders and with blue eyes.

Malik’s eyes widen when he sees the next girl coming down the stairs. Long blonde hair cascades down her back and to her hips even up in a ponytail and blue eyes peer out from beneath fluffy bangs. She pauses before she gets to the bottom of the stairs to get a look at Malik and her eyes widen in shock.


-F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S- -F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-

Shiro: Oooo, who could the girl possibly be?

Kaze: (snorts) Oh please, it's-

Shiro: (quickly covers Kaze's mouth) Don't say it out loud! You'll ruin it!

Kaze: (smacks Shiro's hand away) What I was going to say was that it's one of your idiotic original characters and obviously not anyone from the show. Unless it's Mai, but that'd be plain weird. Not to mention Mai's eyes are violet and her bangs frame her face.

Shiro: -.-

Kaze: (smirks) My work here is done.

Shiro: (growls) I hate you.

Bast: On a better note, Shiro has found one of the funniest things on youtube(dot)com that is Yugioh related. It's called Yugioh! The Abridged Series and it's kind of stupid, but in a really funny way. I just love Mai's nickname. And the death of Tristan's voice. And-

Shiro: Don't say anything else about it! Jeez!

Bast: (grins) Right. Anyway, if you ever need something to laugh about then head over to youtube(dot)com and check out Yugioh! The Abridged Series by LittleKuriboh. There's 14 episodes so far.

NEXT CHAPTER: Discovery and memories