Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Family Bonds ❯ Chapter 21: New Years Couples ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Please see author note at the very end of the chapter! Thank you!

Disclaimer
: Saying that I own Yugioh is like saying that the whole world loves George W. Bush. It just ain't true.

-F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M -I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-

Chapter 21: New Years Couples

It’s now August and everyone is preparing to go back to school. For the majority of both of the group it’ll be the last year of high school. For Mokuba and Shizuka it means they’ll be starting their first year for high school. For Nixx and Kaylie, it means they’re now Juniors and need to start thinking about college and what classes they should take.

Ashling and Liam have decided to go to Domino High School for their final year, since Ashling doesn’t want to be separated from Malik and there’s no way Liam would let her stay there without him.

In Virginia without the Phoenix twins to serve as peacemakers there are some problems. Roman, who has been extremely irritable ever since he found out Malik has ‘stolen’ Ashling from him, is more moody than ever and is prone to snapping at anyone around him.

Alexandrian tries his best to stay out of Roman’s way and spends most of his spare time in the library. Nixx is busy trying to avoid both of his brothers, since both of them have been rather snappy toward him. Roman because he’s Roman and Alexandrian because he hates it when people interrupt his studying.

It has also gotten to the point that Kaylie refuses to be around any of them because they’re ‘acting like idiots’ over two people.

Holly and Damian are also tired of it all, but they’re more worried about Roman and the downhill direction he’s going.

“We have to do something.” Holly says. “Daman, it’s not that late over in Japan yet. Call up Ashling and explain the situation to her and tell her to knock some sense into Roman.”

Damian sighs and pulls out his black cellphone. “Fine, but keep a lookout for teachers.” With a practiced ease, Damian dials his phone card number and then the number for Ashling and Liam’s shared cell phone. Once one of them picks up, and thankfully it’s Ashling, Damian hurriedly explains what’s going on to her, in the end asking, “So can you knock some sense into him for us?”

On the other end Ashling sighs. “I had no idea he’d take it this badly.” She says softly.

“Ash, he’s been trying to get you to go out with him ever since you and Liam moved here.” Damian says. “It’s safe to say it was love at first sight for him.”

“Put him on.” Ashling says.

Damian walks over to Roman and holds out his cell phone. “Someone wants to talk to you, Roman.”

Roman looks up from the ground, his silver eyes clouded, and silently takes the phone from Damian, waiting for his friend to walk away before he puts the phone to his ear. “Hello?”

“Roman.”

Roman’s eyes widen at the sound of Ashling’s angelic (to him) voice. “Ash? Wha- how are you?” He asks.

“I’m just find, Roman. Thanks for asking.” She pauses. “How are you?”

Roman hesitates. “Fine.”

“By the sounds of things you aren’t ‘fine’.”

“I miss you.” Roman says. “Things aren’t the same around here without you here. You and Liam.”

“Ro…” Ashling begins hesitantly. “I… I miss you too.”

Hope wells up in Roman’s chest.

“I miss all of you. So does Liam. He says ‘hi’ by the way.”

And that hope easily deflates with Ashling’s piercing words.

“Roman, you need to straighten up.” Ashling tells him. “Where’s the sarcastic, funny Roman that I know so well? Where’s the Roman who wants to graduate and go to college to become a psychologist that I may one day need? Who wants to start and manage his own small business right in our little town?”

Roman cracks a smile. “He’s still here.”

“Well how about you put him on?” Ashling says teasingly. “Unless he fears my wrath.”

Roman laughs at Ashling’s words. “Me? Fearful of your wrath? About as afraid as I am of an ant.”

“I seem to recall a certain raven-haired boy who freaked out because ants crawled up his pants.”

Roman smirks. “Yes. It’s a pity that was Nixx from when he dyed his hair black.”

“Oh darn.”

Roman smiles and leans back against the rail. “I miss you, Ash.”

“I know. I miss you too, Ro.”

Holly taps Roman on the arm and motions to the people who are now walking to buildings.

“I have to go, Ash.” Roman says. “The bell for homeroom just rang.”

“Alright. Bye, Ro.”

“Bye Ash.”

The phone clicks as Ashling hangs up.

Roman blinks back tears. “I love you, Ash. I love you so much.”

0-0-0

“I don’t get it, Tama. Every single year they’ve remembered my birthday.” Anzu says. “But this year it’s different. I haven’t heard so much as a single ‘Happy Birthday’.”

Tama sighs. ‘This is what I get for volunteering to distract Anzu. Why didn’t I let Liam do it instead?’

“Tama, are you listening to me?” Anzu asks, shifting one of the brown paper bags in her arms.

“Yes.” Tama says. “But can the ranting wait until we get back to the house? That way you can yell at the guys.” She internally winces at her words. ‘Okay, that didn’t come out as good as I planned. It sounds much too insensitive.’

Anzu glares at her and quickens her pace.

Tama lets her go ahead, not trying to correct her words at all. ‘No point in making a fool out of myself when she probably won’t even listen to me.’ She reasons.

The minutes drag by as the two girls walk in silence to the Dragon’s Den where everyone else is waiting for them to return with snacks. When the two finally get to the house they find it completely silent, which is unusual.

“That’s weird.” Tama mutters, pulling out her keys to unlock the door. “They said they would stay here. I hope nothing bad happened.” She unlocks the door and steps in with Anzu close behind her. Tama shifts the grocery bags over to one arm and then flicks on the light.

“Happy Birthday, Anzu!!!” Everyone yells as they jump out of their hiding places.

Anzu jumps about two feet into the air and nearly drops the bags of snacks she’s carrying. “W-what? When did you get this set up?” She asks, motioning to the balloons, streamers, and the ‘Happy Birthday’ banner strung across the hallway between the kitchen and the living room.

“Well, it wasn’t easy to do with us in here setting up using chairs.” Katsuya says. “It was really crowded. Oh, and Liam here nearly stapled his thumb to the wall!”

Liam turns red from embarrassment. “Yeah well, Jounouchi fell while he and Honda were setting up the banner!”

Anzu giggles. “Sounds like I have two clumsy blonde guys for friends. I can’t believe I though you guys forgot my birthday.”

“Us? Forget your birthday?” Honda asks, slinging an arm over Jounouchi’s shoulders. “No way! Although Jounouchi might-”

“Hey! Watch it, Honda!” Katsuya warns.

“Now, now, boys.” Mai says, coming into the hallway with her usual air of confidence. “Lets not fight during Anzu’s birthday party. Save it for after I bet Jounouchi in all of the games later.” She says with a wink.

Katsuya growls at the statement.

“Mai’s right; no fighting.” Ashling says. “Lets let Anzu open her presents instead.”

“I bet she’ll like mine best!” Katsuya exclaims.

Mai snorts. “Get real, Jounouchi. She’ll like mine best.”

The others roll their eyes and go into the living room where they’ve put Anzu’s presents. Once they’re all seated Anzu starts opening her presents.

Mai and Katsuya’s little arguments continue for the rest of the party to everyone’s amusement except for maybe Seto’s. Other than their friendly bets, there are no problems during the entire party. Which is a rather remarkable feat when you have Otogi, Honda, and Katsuya in the same room. Especially since Otogi has been flirting with Shizuka lately.

0-0-0

December- Winter Break

Snow, it seems, has many different uses when there’s enough of it. It can be used to build large forts and make ammunition for snow battles in the park. It can be used to build meltable creatures for decoration. You can go sledding on it. It can also make people sick if they stay out in it long enough.

While they’re not working or doing homework the teachers assigned for winter break, both the Domino City group and what remains of the Virginia group spend their time outside in the snow.

On a normal day in Domino City the group consists of Yugi, Ryou, Malik, Seto, Tama, Mokuba, Ashling, Liam, Shizuka, and Otogi. Anzu, Katsuya, Honda, Mai, and Miho all either have a job or their parents want them home.

On a normal day in Virginia, everyone who is left of the group gets together. Those who are left are Damian, Holly, Roman, Alexandrian, and Nixx. Times that they can all get together are rare, since they’re all working to save money to go back to Domino City, and because Nixx keeps getting sick.

Domino City- Backyard at the Dragon’s Den

Snowballs fly back and forth across the yard in rapid succession. On one end of the yard is Team Light, which consists of Malik, Ryou, Ashling, Tama, Yugi, Katsuya, Mokuba, and Shizuka. On the other end is Team Dark, which consists of Mariku, Liam, Yumeri, Seto, Yami, Bakura, Otogi, and Mai.

The only reason the yami’s are playing is to relieve stress and because Bakura, Yumeri, and Mariku have recently discovered how to use Shadow Magic to give themselves a more solid form. None of them can really feel anything unless it’s extreme pain, cold, or heat though, which gives them an unfair advantage sometimes.

And with all four yami’s on the same team, trouble is bound to ensue.

Bakura cackles as he chucks four snowballs at Team Light and then ducks back behind the snow fort as eight come flying toward him. The snowballs collide harmlessly with the wall of the snowfort.

Yumeri smirks. “Looks like they’re out for your blood, thief.”

“Shut up.” I don’t see you throwing any snowballs.” Bakura retorts with a growl.

Yumeri tilts her head arrogantly. “That’s because I’m helping Otogi and Liam make snowballs.” She says.

“Well wh--”

“Shut up!” Mai yells. “Honestly, you two bicker more than an old married couple! I don’t care if you so-called ‘dark spirits’ can’t feel anything, but the rest of us can and we’re getting pummeled! If you two would kindly shut the hell up then maybe they wouldn’t be able to tell our exact location through the damn snow.”

Bakura and Yumeri fall silent, actually fearful of making Mai angry. The blonde woman is a force to be reckoned with.

And so the snowball fight continues. That is, until Yami says something that pisses off Bakura which causes the two of them to start fighting and shove one another into the snow. And it’s because of them that the snowball fight ends.

It may have been for the best though, as Mokuba, Ryou, and Ashling’s noses are bright red from frostbite, Tama’s getting the sniffles, and Katsuya and Shizuka need to go home before it gets too dark.

0-0-0

Virginia- The Lexus House

“Nixx is sick again?” Damian asks Mr. Lexus in disbelief. “This is the fifth time this month!”

“Is he too sick to see us?” Holly asks, worried for the younger boy. “Or should we just get Alex and Roman and head off?”

Mrs. Lexus happens to walk by as Holly asks this and stops and smiles at the two Seniors. “I’m sure Nixx would love a visit from you two. Just don’t stay with him for too long. He needs his rest and I’d hate for either of you to catch what he has.”

“Arigatou, Lexus-san.” Damian says, falling back on an old habit of his that he has found himself using far more than usual lately. He bows quickly and then grabs Holly’s hand and tugs her upstairs to Nixx’s room.

“It’s good to see the boys have such nice friends.” Mrs. Lexus says once the two are upstairs. “We should invite their parents over for dinner some time when Nixx is feeling better.”

Mr. Lexus says nothing and just gives a small nod.

Upstairs Damian and Holly have just entered Nixx’s room to find their usually hyperactive and teasing friend covered by many blankets and yet still pale and shivering.

Holly wraps her arms around herself, not having expected Nixx to be this sick. “Oh goddess…”

“Bad, isn’t it.” Alexandrian comments from the doorway. “Damian, you’re family. I need to talk to you about something. Holly, can you help Roman give Nixx his medicine?”

Holly shakily nods. “Yeah. I will.”

“Great.” Alexandrian says before he turns and leaves the room.

Damian follows behind him, but has to stop a moment to let Roman in the room before he continues.

Alexandrian leads Damian down the hall to his room and crosses the room to sit down on his bed with a sigh. “Close the door. I don’t want my mom to hear this and freak out. She’s worried enough with Nixx being sick.”

Damian closes the door behind him and then crosses the room and sits down beside Alexandrian. “What’s wrong, Alex?”

“It’s Roman. And Nixx.” Alexandrian says. “Roman… he’s been smoking again. And he’s been going out to parties every weekend and coming home completely trashed.” He explains. “And Nixx hasn’t been eating regularly again. That’s why he’s been sick so much this winter.”

Damian looks at Alexandrian in shock. “But I thought they both got over that stuff! I know Ashling was the one who got Roman to stop smoking and drinking and after we all got on Nixx’s case about eating regularly he actually started eating. So what happened?”

“I- I don’t know.” Alexandrian stumbles over words. “I just- It happened all of a sudden and there was nothing I could do to stop him and now Roman’s in trouble and Nixx weighs less than one-hundred-and-five pounds and I haven’t been able to sleep recently because of everything and--”

Damian hits Alexandrian on the back, knocking the breath from the brown-haired teen. “Breathe, Alex. Breathe.” He wait’s a minute while Alexandrian takes several gulps of air. “Alex, have you been taking your medicine?”

“Not since Roman stopped smoking and drinking and Nixx started eating.” Alexandrian admits. “That was about the time I ran out and since things have been peaceful until now I haven’t needed it. How would I explain to mother that I need more medication when things have been seemingly peaceful lately? I don’t want her to worry.”

“And she wouldn’t worry if you collapsed from stress or completely broke down?” Damian asks, sighing heavily. “You three have to be the most screwed up bunch I have ever met. Just… pack up yours and Roman’s stuff. I want you both to stay with me until this mess gets sorted out. And when Nixx gets over this recent cold then he can come stay too.”

Alexandrian nods. “Okay. But how are we going to explain this to my parents?”

Damian puts his most pathetic look on his face and whimpers, “I could use some company for the holiday.” He makes his bottom lip tremble a little. “Daddy isn’t coming home this year.”

Alexandrian can’t help but laugh at how sincere Damian sounds. “Alright. Thanks Damian.”

0-0-0

New Years - Still Winter Break

Domino City, en route to Noa’s mansion.

“So why exactly are we going to Kaiba’s?” Katsuya asks Yugi, Tama, Mokuba, Anzu, Shizuka, Mai, and Otogi, who are the ones in the limo with him.

The group has had to split into two groups in order to get to Noa’s mansion because the limo’s can only seat so many people. Katsuya’s group is in Otogi’s limo while everyone else- Seto, Ryou, Malik, Ashling, Liam, Honda, and Miho- are in the Muto’s limo.

“We’re going because Noa invited us.” Tama says. “So be nice to him for this one night and don’t pick any fights. He’s not that bad of a guy.”

Katsuya mutters something undecipherable and Tama hits him in the head.

“What was that for?!” He yells.

“Be nice.” Tama says warningly. “I know that what you muttered wasn’t very nice and I’m telling you all right now that you can’t pick fights tonight. I’d love to start the new year peacefully.”

“And as a quick change of subject, does everyone have their resolutions prepared?” Mokuba asks. “We’re going to go around and say out loud our resolutions and we’re going to help one another succeed in doing them during the year.”

“Sounds interesting.” Mai comments. “So I take it the resolutions can’t just be wishes.”

“Nope.” Mokuba shakes his head. “Wishes and resolutions are two different thing, but we do both. This is going to be so much fun!”

Tama’s laptop suddenly emits a beeping noise and she quickly opens it to find Damian online with his video camera.

/ “Hey Tama, mind turning on your camera?”/ He asks. / “I’ve got the rest of the gang here with me.”/

Tama quickly gets her camera out of her purse and clips it to the top of her laptop before she plugs it in. “Can you hear me now?” She asks.

/ “Perfectly.”/ Damian replies. / “I can see you too.”/

“Well that’s good.” Tama says. “I just hope the connection doesn’t go out. I’m in Otogi’s limo right now with half the group here and we’re on our way to Noa Kaiba’s mansion for a New Years party.”

/ “Sounds like fun.”/ Damian says. / “You doing your New Years resolutions, wishes, and kisses thing?”/

“Don’t we always?” Tama asks. “Yes, we are. What are you doing over there?”

Damian shrugs. / “Just resolutions, some games, and getting up to watch the sunrise. Nixx isn’t feeling all that well again so we can’t do very much.”/

“Nixx is sick?” Mokuba asks quietly.

/ “Yeah. This is the ninth time he’s been sick since December first.”/ Damian says. / “And each time it lasts about three or four days. I don’t know what we’re going to do.”/ He pauses for a moment. / “Is Ash in the car with you? I need to talk to her about something important.”/

Tama shakes her head. “No, she and Liam are in the other limo. I can have Otogi’s driver pull over and Blue will follow and you can talk to Ashling.”

/ “It wouldn’t be too much trouble, would it?”/ Damian asks. / “I don’t want to be troublesome.”/

“It’s fine.” Tama assures him before she looks overtop the laptop. “Otogi!”

Otogi reluctantly breaks away from his conversation with Shizuka. “What?”

“Ask your driver to pull over. My friend Damian has something important to talk to Ashling about.” Tama says. “You can keep talking to Shizuka after you ask your driver to pull over.”

Otogi rolls his eyes and mutters something about controlling women before he orders his driver to pull over.

Once both limo’s have come to a stop and questions are asked about why they’ve stopped, Tama pulls Liam and Ashling over to the side and hands them her laptop.

Damian quickly explains to the twins what’s going on in Virginia and then shoves a tied-up Roman and a bundled-up-in-blankets Nixx in front of the camera and lets Ashling curse the both of them out in mixed languages while Liam tries to slip in a word edge-wise.

They set on the side of the road for at least fifteen minutes while Ashling tries to yell some sense into her two friends and then she starts losing her voice so Malik and Liam drag her away from the laptop. Tama says her goodbyes to Damian and shuts down the laptop.

And then they’re off again and back on their way to Noa’s mansion.

0-0-0

Virginia- Damian’s House

“Alright, time to go through resolutions!” Damian exclaims. “I’ll start. My first resolution for this new year is to work hard and get into a good Arts college.”

“I’ll go next.” Alexandrian volunteers when no one else speaks up. “My resolution is to take care of myself all year and take my medicine when I need it.”

“My resolution is to stop smoking and drinking.” Roman says softly, Ashling’s earlier screamed words having hit him hard. “And I’m going to work hard in school.”

Nixx coughs and pulls his blanket around himself tighter. “I’m going to try and eat more and get my weight back up to one-hundred-fifteen.”

“And I’m going to work hard and save up my money to go to Domino City!” Holly exclaims. “I’ll go to the community college there and work at a restaurant or something to pay for bills and stuff.”

“And we’ll all help out one another to succeed in our resolutions.” Damian says determinedly. “That way we can’t fail.”

0-0-0

Domino City- Noa’s Mansion

It’s just an hour and a half to go until the new year begins and everyone has gathered in Noa’s living room to go through the Dragons’ New Years tradition.

“Exactly what are we doing?” Otogi asks. “You never did explain it.”

“We call it ‘Resolutions, Wishes, and Kisses’.” Seto says. “First we go around the room and everyone tells one of their resolutions for the new year. Then we go around the room and everyone has the choice of saying one thing they wish would happen. The last thing we do is the New Years kisses.” He pauses a moment. “What we do is dim the lights and draw numbers from a hat. You don’t tell anyone that number. Then--”

“We’ve added new rules this year since there are more of us and we’re not all related.” Mokuba speaks up. “So don’t look at us weird when Seto explains the next part.”

Seto sighs. “As I was saying, after drawing numbers and finding some way to dim the lights everyone except the person holding the number one close their eyes. Then whoever has the number one gets up and chooses someone to kiss. As of this year there are three types of kisses. Friendship kisses, which are kisses on either cheek; Crush kisses, which are either kisses on the forehead or on the hand; and Love kisses, which are on the lips.

“So after number one gives his kiss whoever got the kiss can either open their eyes and give a reply kiss or they can keep their eyes shut. Once whoever gave the kiss gets back to their seat, that person will clap to signal they’re done and then they’ll close their eyes and number two will go.” Seto finishes explaining.

“And at the end of the game any new couples stand up and go sit by one another.” Tama adds. “And won’t this make for interesting conversation when we get back to school?” She turns to face Mokuba and says, “Why Mokuba! Since when have you two been a couple?”

Mokuba grins. “Since Noa Kaiba’s New Years party! We played this neat game called ‘New Years Kisses’.”

“Ha ha, very funny.” Malik comments. “Are we going to start this now or not? We don’t have much time.”

“I’ll go the numbers!” Mokuba exclaims, grabbing the sheet of paper and the pen off of the table. “How many of us are there?”

“Sixteen.” Noa says. “There are sixteen of us.”

And so the Resolutions part begins while Mokuba writes numbers and then tears out those numbers.

“Ladies first.” Liam says. “Unless we’re going to form a circle.”

“That’d be too much trouble.” Anzu speaks up. “I’ll go first. My resolution is to go to the dance studio near the arcade three times every school week and once every weekend. That way I’ll be ready if I’m accepted into the dance school in New York.”

“Which means you gotta keep your grades up.” Katsuya comments. “But that shouldn’t be a problem for you.”

Anzu smiles. “Thanks Jounouchi.”

“My turn!” Ashling exclaims. “My resolution is to work hard and get all A’s so I’ll have the best chance to go to college and study to be a zoologist specializing in the cats.”

“I’m going to keep my grades up this year and find a job this summer.” Shizuka says.

“I’m going to further my skills as a duelist.” Mai says. “So I won’t be around here most of this summer since I’ll be off dueling.”

“I wish you luck.” Tama says. “Now my resolution is to get good grades and be accepted at Domino Technical Institution.”

“Same here.” Seto speaks up. “But I also want to officially start in a branch of dad’s company, hopefully in the technology department.”

And so it continues around the room.

Miho’s resolution is keep getting A’s and go to a university in Tokyo, Mokuba wants to get all A’s and B’s and get into every program and club involving art in some way, Katsuya’s resolution is to pass high school with high enough grades that he can get into the community college, Honda’s is to bring his grades up so he can pass and to get more hours at the garage he works at, Otogi wants to finish up his latest game idea while keeping up grades at school, Liam’s resolution is to pass high school and go into college and study to be a technician or auto mechanic specializing in environmentally efficient technology, Yugi’s is to get good enough grades to go to the community college, Ryou’s is about the same as Yugi’s except he wants to get prepared to go to the technical institution.

And then it comes time for New Years wishes and only Tama, Mokuba, Ashling, and Anzu makes wishes out loud. Everyone else makes their wishes in their heads.

Tama’s wish is for them all to remain healthy for the entire year. Mokuba’s is to fall in love. Ashling’s wish is for the three Lexus brothers to get better and for all of her friends to stay healthy. And Anzu’s wish is that she gets a scholarship for the dance school.

And then comes time for the biggest part of the tradition: New Years Kisses.

“Alright, everyone draw a number and we’ll get started!” Mokuba says. He starts them off and pulls out the first number and then hands the hat off to Seto, who’s sitting beside him on the floor.

Around goes the hat until everyone has a number. Then Noa has the lights dimmed and the game begins.

The game starts off slowly with just friendship kisses. Anzu goes first, kissing Yugi on the cheek and getting a kiss on the cheek in reply. Then Shizuka goes, followed by Ryou and then Yugi.

So many friendship kisses go around that one would think none of them brave enough to do anything else. And then it’s Seto’s turn.

Seto calmly stands and walks across the room to his little golden-haired pup. As softly as possible his takes Katsuya’s hand and raises it to his lips, gently kisses the back of it. He wait’s a moment to see if Katsuya will open his eyes and he’s not disappointed.

Katsuya’s eyes widen when he sees who it is and then he blushes and kisses Seto on the forehead in reply.

And then it’s back to friendship kisses for Mai and Liam and then Malik gives Ashling a Love kiss and gets one in response. Then Otogi gives Shizuka a Crush kiss and gets a shy one in reply. Then, to Noa’s surprise, Tama and Mokuba both give him Friendship kisses to which he replies with one of his own. The last to go are Honda and Miho, who both give on another a kiss on the lips.

And with that, the game comes to and end, just in time to countdown to midnight.

0-0-0

One would find it strange that the yami’s are quiet and don’t cause a mess or steal anything and there’s only one explanation:

Each of the hikari’s threatened not to wear the items they’re kept in, which would mean four very bored yami’s locked up in darkness.

To keep themselves occupied they just watch their Lights and their Lights’ friends play their little games. They even get into it too, although Yami gets no kisses, Friendship or otherwise.

It’s only later that night that Yami gives his New Years kiss to someone. And that someone is Yugi, who happily responds with a kiss on the lips.

-F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M -I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-

Shiro: Hmm, now that wasn't a bad length. Not a bad length at all. It's definently one of my longer chapters.

Bast: (reading over newest set of plans for Family Bonds) Hikari! What the hell is going on?!

Shiro: (winces) Oh boy... just what I need, getting chewed out at 8:30 at night by a volitile yami who's boyfriend is ill.

Bast: What is this? What happened to the 35 chapters?! Hikari you'd better answer me now!!!

Shiro: (squeaks) I'll explain it in the note at the very end! I promise I have a good excuse this time! Well, as good as excuses get anyway.

Bast: You had better.

Shiro: (gulps)

NEXT CHAPTER: Freedom, sand, and time

!!!!NOTE!!!!

Okay, so here's my all-important note. Don't worry, it's not bad news. I promise. Well, not really bad news. You know how I said there was going to be 35 chapters to this story? Well... my brain kicked into overdrive and came up with a better way to handle Family Bonds. Since I don't really want to be working on this for the rest of this school year and would love to have time to work on other fanfictions, I'm cutting it short. The number of "true" chapters is just going to be up to chapter 23. But since there's no way I'm letting all of my planning or the cute ideas I have go to waste, there's going to be other "chapters" containing everything else I've planned. Either that or they'll be flashback chapters, which will be chapters where parts of the group get together and talk about all of the funny or good things that have happened. Even the bad. And there could be some where they're telling their kids stories, which will be super cute.

So what do you guys think? Even by doing this you'll still be getting lots of chapters. Possibly more than 35 when you include the Interlude chapters. I'm thinking that this will make it easier for me to write and that mean's I'll be able to update more quickly and work on more fanfictions for everyone to read! Yay!

So, anyone want to kill me? (I sincerely hope not.)

Alright, so lets recap. By doing this I only have two-three more "true" chapters to write. After that what I'll be getting out is the Interludes and the "not-quite-a-chapter chapters". That means more frequent updates and new stories. And once I finish up with those all that's left is the bloopers. (Why do I get the feeling that I'll be writing even more now than before?)

And if you've stuck all the way through this note, here's something for you! (hands out various plushies) Plushies! Plushies! Get them while they're still here! I've got a limited edition Thief King Bakura doll right here! Oh, and here's a cute one that's Ryou in an apron that says 'Kiss the cook'. So cute! (tosses out plushies)

-Kishiro Kitsune