Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Family Bonds ❯ Chapter 20: Unveiling ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Saying that I own Yugioh is like saying that the whole world loves George W. Bush. It just ain't true.

-F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M -I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-

Chapter 20: Unveiling

“Malik!” She yells happily, running the rest of the way down the stairs. She nearly slips and falls on the rug, but balances herself out with a practiced grace and then practically jumps into Malik’s arms in her happiness, wrapping her arms around his neck.

Malik laughs and wraps his arms around her waist before he kisses her on the cheek. “I can’t believe it’s you, Ashling. I can’t tell you how relieved I am that it’s you.”

Ashling nods. “Same here.”

“No frickin’ way.” Liam says from the stairs. Damian is right beside him with an expression of shock on his face.

“You two already know one another?” Isis asks the question running through the minds of everyone who wasn’t part of the Spring Break group. She reaches up to grasp the golden necklace around her neck, a feeling of confusion surrounding her.

“We met on Spring Break when Damian brought her, Liam, and their friends to Domino City.” Malik explains. ‘Thank Ra for that.’

Isis frowns, looking between the two with a puzzled look on her face. She says nothing more on the subject though.

0-0-0

A few days later things have settled down at the Phoenix house. Isis has been given the spare room in the basement and Malik stays with Damian since there’s no room for him to sleep at the Phoenix’s house. There would be, but Mr. Phoenix refuses to let Malik sleep in Ashling and Liam’s room with them.

Damian and Malik don’t mind very much since they get along pretty well, but Ashling’s a little upset since it means she can’t spend as much time with Malik that she wants since she has a job at the arcade and at the local animal shelter and they take up most of her day hours. She gets her wish of spending the entire day with Malik one weekend, but it comes at a cost.

The particular weekend she has off is the weekend that family on her and Liam’s dad’s side begin to arrive at the lake house her grandparent’s own. And so, the Phoenix family plus Isis, Malik, and Damian pile in 2 cars and head to the lake house to spend the weekend with the relatives.

That can only mean trouble.

0-0-0

“Hello Ashling and Liam’s relatives!” Damian yells loudly as they walk onto the bottom deck facing the lake.

“Why don’t you just adopt him and get it over with, Uncle.” Jokes the oldest of the cousins, Ayla. “You know you want to.”

Jokingly, Damian turns to face Ashling and puts a pleading look on his face. “Ashy, adopt me! I’m a cute cuddly kitty-loving person with purple hair! Behold it’s purple-glory-ness.”

Ashling rolls her eyes and pats Damian on the head. “You’ll live.” Then she tugs Malik onto the actual deck so she can introduce him. “Everyone, this is Malik Ishtar. Play nice with him!”

Ayla’s younger sister, Kathreen, leans over toward Ayla and whispers, “I thought Aunt Mary wasn’t letting us have friends over this year. I can understand why Damian’s here since he’s practically a member of the family.”

Cheyenne, having overheard the conversation, snorts. “It’s just because he’s her stupid fiance. And that’s only because of this stupid arranged marriage crap. If it weren’t for that he wouldn’t even be here and those two would never have seen one another again.”

“Cheyenne!” Ashling angrily shouts, letting go of Malik’s hand. “How dare you say that!”

“It’s the truth!” Cheyenne yells back.

“ENOUGH!” Liam and Damian yell in unison.

“This is not the way we want to start out summer gathering.” Liam says seriously. “Cheyenne, lay off of Ashling and Malik. Ash, don’t let her get to you when she says things like that.” He breathes in deeply and lets it out slowly. “Malik, Dami’, Ash, lets take our stuff inside and let the news sink in.”

0-0-0

Things are not off to a good start for the summer family gathering. While it usually takes at least four or five days before the trouble starts, trouble has begun on the first day.

Cheyenne breaking the news that early has gotten Ashling, Liam, Damian, and Malik upset with the fourteen-year-old. Even Ayla and Tullia, Ashling and Liam’s oldest cousins, are a little upset with her. Every else find themselves disliking Malik and blame him for the arranged marriage situation.

The little group of four does their best to ignore any comments, although Liam and Damian have to be by Ashling’s side to calm her down at all times so she doesn’t do anything regrettable.

Almost every single night Ashling sneaks into the room her brother, Damian, and Malik are sleeping in and cuddles with one of them. Usually it’s Damian, since he has the most comforting presence.

But as it is in any house with a bunch of people in it, things do get found out. Fortunately Ashling was found in their room on a night she decided to cuddle with her twin, so she didn’t get a long lecture.

The summer family gathering ends in less than two weeks, just long enough for Ashling’s nerves to be frayed to no end and her temper tested to the point she starts crying at night.

Thankfully for them, the one person who can easily make Ashling feel better returns two days after all the relatives leave.

0-0-0

“Holly!!!” Ashling squeals happily upon seeing her friend.

“Ashy!!!” Holly squeals back, dropping her luggage so she can run up and give Ashling one of her bone-crushing hugs. “I’ve missed you soooo much!”

Holly Elm has returned.

July 1, 2007- Domino City- Dragon’s Den

The entire gang- Yugi, Katsuya, Anzu, Honda, Shizuka, Ryou, Otogi, Miho, Seto Mokuba, Tama, and even Blue- is gathered at the Dragon’s Den awaiting the return of Malik, Isis, and Malik’s betrothed.

Little do they know, the brother of Malik’s betrothed is tagging along with them and almost all of them know the two newcomers.

“Remember, we need to make her feel welcome but without overwhelming her.” Tama says for what is now the fifth time that day.

Seto lays a hand on his sister’s shoulder. “Tama, it will be find. We know to be careful and not scare her away.”

“I-”

Whatever Tama was about to say gets cut off by the sound of the front door opening.

“I’m home!” Malik calls cheerfully. “Who wants to meet my wonderful betrothed?!”

Seto, Tama, and Mokuba exchange confused glances and then lead everyone out into the hall where they all receive one of the many shocks of their lives.

Ashling waves to the group. “Hello everyone! It’s great to see you again!”

Liam pops up over Ashling’s shoulder in an attempt to scare everyone more. “The Phoenix twins have returned! Hello dragons and friends and…” He spots Blue trying not to be noticed at the back. “… tall creepy man.”

Ashling promptly hits Liam in the back of the head. “Be nice!”

“Oww…” Liam mutters.

“Well this explains your cheerfulness.” Blue comments. “It’s nice to see you again, Miss Ashling.”

Ashling smiles. “Nice to see you again too, Blue.”

Lima looks at Ashling in confusion. “Who is he and how do you know him?”

“Please allow me to introduce myself formally.” Blue says, walking out from behind the larger group. “My name is Alasdair Albion, but you can call me Blue. I’m Shira, Seto, Mokuba, and Malik’s personal bodyguard.”

Silence fills the room as the news sinks in to those who didn’t already know.

“Bodyguard?” Miho asks quietly.

Blue proceeds to explain exactly why the four teens need him for a bodyguard, something that takes longer than before because of Otogi and Liam’s multiple questions.

That night Malik, Isis, Ashling, and Liam go to bed before everyone else leaves in an attempt to catch up on lost sleep from the time difference.

July 3, 2007

“It’s getting harder to hide ourselves.” Yumeri comments to Bakura and Mariku early one morning at the park. “We may have to--”

“Are you stupid?” Bakura interrupts. “We’ve hid it this long. What are the chances of them finding out?”

“I’d rather my omote know about me than have her think she’s insane!” Yumeri shouts. “If you would pay even the slightest bit of attention to your hosts then you would know that they think they’re going insane too! I’ve heard them talk the few times they’re together and they all agree that something isn’t right.”

“And Malik-hikari has a pretty girlfriend now.” Mariku says. “Mariku doesn’t want to scare her away.”

Bakura glares at them. “You’re both pathetic.”

“Bakura, all three of them are seventeen now. In another year they’ll be graduating from High School and going to college; they’ll be adults.” Yumeri says. “We can’t protect them forever and we can’t hide from them forever.”

“Fine.” Bakura grumbles. “But I won’t like it.”

0-0-0

A half an hour later, after talking about how to handle the situation and then walking back to the Dragon’s Den, the three yami’s give control back to their hikari’s. They wait just long enough for the three hikari’s to look around in confusion before they appear in their spirit forms.

Tama gasps and edges closer to Malik, who glares at the three spirits. Ryou looks at the yami’s fearfully.

“Malik-hikari looks like a mini me!” Mariku practically squeals. “Mariku wants to hug him!”

“Stop it and be serious for once!” Yumeri hisses at Mariku. She glances at the three Lights. “Ignore him, he forgot to take his medication today apparently. Or maybe it’s more like he’s never had medication and really needs it.”

“Who are you?” Malik demands, reaching for a small dagger he keeps in his pocket.

Yumeri gives a bow. “I’m Lady Yumeri, I currently reside in the dragon pendant. The white haired idiot is Bakura, who’s a thief, and he resides in the Millennium Ring. Mar–“

“I’m the ex-priest Mariku who became a thief and Bakura’s partner in crime and I live in Malik-hikari’s Millennium Rod.” Mariku says cheerfully.

There’s a moment of silence as this all sinks in.

“So… you’re ghosts?” Tama hesitantly asks, beginning to overcome her fear.

“No.” Yumeri shakes her heads. “We’re more like spirits, I suppose. We’re still capable of casting magic as we did in the past and we can do other stuff.”

“Like what?” Malik asks.

“Possession, memory altering, creating a solid form, starting a Shadow Game, summoning monsters from the Shadow Realm, and various other things depending on which one of us it is.” Bakura says boredly. “And did I mention that we take up residence in your minds?” He smirks at the look of fear on Ryou’s face. “I see my little yadounushi knows.”

Ryou trembles. “K-koe?”

Malik steps protectively in front of Tama and Ryou, hiding all traces of emotion on his face. “Why haven’t you shown yourselves before now? Tama and I have both had these for around seven years and Ryou has had the ring for three years.”

“Would you really have wanted to know you were being possessed by a three-thousand year-old spirit?” Yumeri asks. “And I don’t know about them, but I saw it as my duty to protect my omote from harm and reveal myself to her when the time was right.” She says. “And I’m tired of modi-“ She cuts herself off. “Never mind.”

Malik narrows his eyes. “You’re the reason Tama doesn’t remember Ryou.”

Yumeri looks down at the floor and then looks up at Malik, her gaze unwavering. “I am.” She confirms.

“And you,” He glares at Bakura. “You’re the reason that Ryou doesn’t remember us from when we were neighbors.”

Bakura snorts. “Obviously.”

“Give it back,” Malik growls menacingly, his eyes narrowing more. “I don’t care what your reasons were! Give back their memories! Now.”

Tama tugs on Malik’s sleeves, not taking her eyes off any of the yami’s. “When did we live beside Bakura?”

“In England. It was at the first house we lived in.” Malik replies, softening his voice for his cousin.

“I’ll give it back.” Yumeri says, to the surprise of Mariku and Bakura. “But don’t blame me for the consequences.” She closes her eyes and concentrates on controlling her magic to take down the wall that blocks Tama’s memories of Ryou. Dark waves of energy collide against the barrier, searching for any weakness in the mental wall. Finding no weaknesses so she can take it down a little at a time, Yumeri has no choice but to bring it down in one piece.

A wave of old memories and feelings crash into Tama as her mind replays the childhood events Yumeri locked away for years.

At the same time, Bakura carelessly rips away the barrier in Ryou’s mind knowing it’s only a matter of time before it goes down anyway.

Instinctively, Malik moves to comfort Tama like he normally would only to be shoved away as Tama bolts from the room and runs out of the house. The Dragon Pendant shimmers on the floor as Yumeri disappears with a curse.

Malik curses their luck as thunder booms in the distance and Ryou whimpers in pain from the mental overload. Mariku watches from a distance, wishing that he could do something to help and that Bakura weren’t so rash.

“Malik-hikari,” He starts off gently.

“Shut up.” Malik hisses. “I don’t want to hear anything else right now.”

Mariku backs off.

0-0-0

Rain pours down on Domino City, soaking everything and creating huge puddles in low-laying areas. Most people don’t dare go outside in this weather, but there are a few that have to.

Malik stares out the window, his lilac eyes glazed over as he sits lost in thought. A fire crackles merrily on one side of the room where Seto, Mokuba, Liam, Ryou, and Isis are sitting. Ashling is busy in the kitchen making hot chocolate for all of them, although it also gives her a chance to go over everything that has happened. Bakura and Mariku have long since retreated into their soul rooms.

None of them know exactly what to think of the yami’s or how to handle the fact that Ryou, Malik, and Tama are all their hosts. For that matter, none of them even know what to say to one another.

Minutes pass in silence for everyone in the room, but then the group by the fire begins conversing quietly.

“Cocoa?” Ashling asks gently, holding out a steaming mug for Malik to take.

Malik wordlessly does so and doesn’t even look at Ashling, who sighs and moves on to give the others their hot chocolate. Once she has given it to them she goes and sits down beside Malik.

“She’s still not back.” Malik whispers. “Where is she?”

Ashling gazes sadly at her betrothed and lays a hand over his to try and comfort him. “It’ll be okay. Tama’s strong.”

Malik slowly exhales. “I know.” He murmurs. “I’m just worried about her. I mean, it’s been three hours. And… she’s never pushed me away like that. It… it hurts.”

Ashling is quiet for a moment. “Remember when I freaked out when I saw you?” She asks. “It was because I had remembered a dream I had that you were in. I remember wanting nothing more than to be alone to sort out my feelings because I was so confused.” She looks up in Malik’s eyes when he turns to look at her. “I pushed Liam away when the two of you found me and I could see-- no. I could feel how hurt he was.” She sighs and looks down at the ground for a moment before she looks back up and re-meets Malik’s gaze. “I guess what I’m trying to say is that Tama was probably confused and wanted to be alone. I’ll help you look for her before the sun sets.”

Malik smiles and pulls Ashling into a hug. “Thanks for trying to help. I… I think I understand what you’re trying to say.”

Ashling smiles and pulls away. “That’s good. I’m not even sure what my original point was. Now drink that cocoa before it gets cold!”

0-0-0

Tama sits completely still on a bench inside of the park near the entrance. She completely ignores the rain, which has soaked her right down to the bone, and the thunder crashing just miles away. Nor does she pay any attention when a limo passes, stops, and backs up and a certain CEO with turquiose hair gets out and walks over to her with an umbrella.

He curses when he sees the state she’s in and tosses aside the umbrella in favor of picking her up and taking her to his limo. Once the two are in the vehicle, the driver puts it into drive and they head to the uptown part of Domino City where all of the mansions are.

0-0-0

Noa Kaiba closes the door to the spacious spare bedroom he had Tama placed in, giving his female maid space to get Tama out of her wet clothes and into something that’s dry.

‘What the hell was she doing out there in the rain?’ He wonders angrily. ‘Doesn’t she know how dangerous storms are? And it was almost sunset too! Are her brothers really irresponsible enough to let her go out in that?’ He thinks about each of the boys Tama lives with, his thoughts lingering longest on Mokuba. ‘No.’ Noa decides. ‘They’re too overprotective for that.’

“Mr. Kaiba.”

Noa turns around to face his maid, Mimi Juniper, and nods. “Yes?”

Mimi bows. “I am finished, sir and am on my way to dry the young lady’s clothing. Is there anything else you require of me at this moment?”

“No. This will be all for now.” Noa says. “Take a break after you dry the clothes, you’ve been running around all day.”

Mimi bows again. “Thank you, sir.” She says politely. Then she hurries off t go finish the last chore she has for the night.

Once she’s gone, Noa reopens the door to Tama’s room and looks in to make sure she’s okay. ‘She looks so different when she’s asleep. When she’s awake she’s guarded and always seems ready to challenge anything someone says that could be taken wrong. I should be thankful for that though, since she’s defended me from her brothers comments on more than one occasion.’ With a sigh he closes the door and heads down the hall to his office. ‘Nevermind all of this, I have work to do.’

0-0-0

“She’s where?” Seto all but yells at Mokuba, more angry at himself for not going after Tama when he heard she ran off. “How- what- when did you find out this?”

Mokuba shrinks back a little, frightened by Seto’s temper. “J-just now! Noa called.”

Seto’s expression softens at the frightened look on his little brother’s face. “Oh Ra… I’m sorry, Mokuba. I didn’t mean to yell at you. Come here.”

Mokuba steps forward and buries his face into Seto’s chest. “I don’t like it when you’re angry, ‘nii-san.”

Seto kisses the top of Mokuba’s head. “I know. I’m sorry.”

0-0-0

Tama returns home late the next day dressed in a cute little maids outfit that Mimi lent her. When questioned about the clothes she says that it was the only thing Mimi had that fit her and her old clothes had too many rips and tears from where she fell many times and from the times her clothes snagged on tree branches.

Nothing is said about the yami’s until about a week later, when they all make their first appearance with everyone in the room. Naturally, it takes everyone a while to adjust to their presences.

-F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-- F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-

Shiro: Well, just 15 chapters left to this story. Doesn't seem like that much now... This fanfiction has already overtaken all of my other ones in the number of words in it. How fun! And this will probably be the longest fanfiction I'll write. Already I'm starting to slow down. Maybe my planned break will help...

Kaze: Planned break? What planned break?

Shiro: Oh! After I post chapter 23 I'm going to take a break from writing Family Bonds so I can get my other fanfiction finished. Then all I'll have to worry about is this story. Hopefully. And it's not like I won't be working on Family Bonds, I just won't be posting anything for it. Unless by the time I get chapter 23 posted it's around Christmas, then I'll be posting the Christmas Interlude. n.n

Bast: Alright, that's enough hikari. Lets wrap this up!

Shiro: Right-o!

NEXT CHAPTER: Problems, a birthday, and resolutions