Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Family Bonds ❯ Chapter 22: Memories Restored ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Here's my Christmas present to you all: the final 3 chapters of Family Bonds and 1 interlude.

Disclaimer: Saying that I own Yugioh is like saying that the whole world loves George W. Bush. It just ain't true.

-F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M -I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-

Chapter 22: Memories Restored

Domino City- June 5, 2008

“FREEDOM!!!” All of the graduating Seniors, with the exception of Noa, Miho, and Otogi, yell as they exit the high school for the last time.

“What do you guys say we celebrate?” Otogi suggests. “We can go to my place and once the rest of school lets out I’ll send my driver to get Mokuba and Shizuka. Sound good?”

The others agree, although it takes some convincing to get Noa to agree, and soon they’re all heading to Otogi’s house.

Once there Katsuya and Tama go straight to the kitchen to make some food even though Otogi insists they let his chef handle it, while everyone else goes into the game room and picks out the music and games they’ll play.

They hang out for the rest of the day to play games, eat, and goof off in general. The only times they take a break are when Otogi calls his driver to have Mokuba and Shizuka picked up and when the two arrive.

Later that evening, after having dinner, they all get serious and talk about their plans for the summer. This will be the last true free summer the graduates will have, since after this summer they’re either be going to college or straight into work.

“So what are our plans for this summer?” Anzu asks. “We’ve got to make this one of the best!”

“Well… we need to go to Egypt soon.” Yugi says uneasily. “Mou hitori--”

“Again with the ‘Ancient Egyptian spirits’ shut?” Noa asks with a frown.

Yugi nods. “Yes, actually. Isis mentioned something to me about needing to let mou hitori no boku move on to the afterlife. Although she may have just said it because Bakura and him were making a big mess at that time…”

Tama snorts. “Try careening around the house cussing out one another.”

“Where was Yugi and I when this was happening?” Ryou asks.

“Outside talking to Mokuba.” Tama replies. “They disappeared as you two were coming in. But that’s beside the point.” She looks over at Malik. “Did Isis say anything to you about going to Egypt?”

Malik nods. “Yeah. She wants to leave a couple of days after Mokuba and Shizuka get out of school. Anyone who wants to come can, just let us know ahead of time. Actually, go ahead and tell me now.”

“Obviously Yugi, Ryou, you, and I have to go.” Tama says. “We really have no choice.”

“I’ll go too.” Anzu volunteers.

“You don’t really think we’ll let you go on your own, do you?” Katsuya asks. “I’m in.”

“Same here.” Honda says. “And besides, how often does anyone have a chance to go see another country?”

By the time the night comes to an end the only ones not going are Shizuka, Otogi, and Miho.

0-0-0

Egypt- Outside Isis and Malik’s Old Home

“Here it is.” Isis says clamly, waving her hand to the door in the ground. “Please tread carefully. There is very little light down there and there are poisonous creatures that live in the tunnels.”

“Wonderful,” Noa mutters sarcastically. “poisonous reptiles.”

Tama elbows Noa in the side. “Be nice.”

Noa rolls his eyes and goes silent.

Isis expertly pulls open the door and leads everyone inside. Malik brings up the rear with Ashling and closes the door behind him.

They proceed through the halls in pairs of two, with the exception of Isis who remains alone at the front. The order they’re in goes like this: Isis, then Yugi and Liam, Honda and Anzu, Seto and Katsuya, Noa and Mokuba, Tama and Ryou, and last is Malik and Ashling.

Silence blankets the group as they walk through the darkened tunnels until the reach the stone tablet that holds the pharaoh’s memories.

“This is it.” Isis says sagely. “This holds the key to recovering the pharaoh’s memories.. It’s up to all of you to figure out how to unlock them.”

“You mean you don’t know?” Katsuya asks. “How can you not know?”

“It was always assumed that the pharaoh would remember everything.” Isis replies. “As it is, I’m only assuming that this tablet will help uncover them.”

Bakura chuckles darkly. “Oh, it will work.”

Yami narrows his eyes. “What do you know, Bakura?”

Bakura’s chuckles change to a more evil laugh that makes Yumeri step away from him. “I know,” A strong wind kicks up and his eyes gleam. “everything.”

The wind blows stronger, kicking up dust and then a blinding light illuminates the room, drawing almost everyone into it. Left in the room are Noa, Mokuba, Ashling, Liam, Isis, and Malik.

“W-what happened?” Ashling asks, looking around as she tries to regain balance. “Where did everyone else go?”

“I can’t sense Mariku anywhere.” Malik murmurs. “It’s like he was never even here. Do you think he went with them?”

“But even if he did why didn’t we go too?” Mokuba asks. “I mean, everyone else got to go.”

“Maybe we aren’t meant to go with them.” Liam suggests. “And the others will fill us in on what happened wherever they are.”

Mokuba sighs and looks up at the tablet. “It can’t compare to actually being there though.”

“True…”

0-0-0

M emory World

“Tama! Tama!” Ryou whispers, shaking Tama gently. “Wake up, Tama.”

Tama groans and slowly opens her eyes only to close them from the intensity of the sun rays. Without a word she sits up and opens her eyes again, this time to see miles of sand. “What is this place?” She asks.

“I don’t know, but somehow we got separated from everyone else.” Ryou says. “I think they might be over in that town. Without the millennium ring I don’t really know.”

Tama raises her hand to shield her eyes from the sun and then looks around until she spots the little town in the middle of an oasis. “Whoa. We’re so not in Kansas anymore.”

“Agreed.” Ryou says. “Maybe we should go to the town and find out where we’re at.”

“Good idea.”

0-0-0

Yumeri yawns as her eyes flicker open and then closed. Almost instinctively she snuggles closer to the warmth beside her.

The thing she’s laying on chuckles, sending vibrations through her body. “You’re such an angel when you’re sleeping.”

Yumeri tries to open her eyes, her mind on high alert. ‘What the hell?! Why am I laying on Bakura? And why am I asleep anyway?’ “And you’re a devil whether you’re asleep or awake.” She hears herself say in an amused tone.

‘What the hell is going on?!’ She screams internally.

We’re reliving the past. Bakura’s says, his voice echoing through her mind. We’re going through memories of our last day together. There’s nothing we can do except watch and listen.

‘But why are we together? What the hell is going on here, Bakura?’

If you would shut up and pay attention then you would know.

Yumeri opens her eyes to the sight of a bare-chested Bakura and smiles. “I could get used to this.” She says softly.

“You would get in too much trouble. You’re pushing it already.” Bakura reminds her.

Yumeri sits up abruptly. “The sun’s up?”

“Yes.” Bakura replies.

“Shit.” Yumeri curses. “I’ve got to go. I’ve got stuff to do today! Atemu and Seth are going to kill me and give Isis my remains to dissect!”

Bakura watches in amusement as Yumeri scrambles from their bed wearing nothing more than a short cream colored dressed. Clothes are soon flying about the room from her trying to locate her hooded robe and royal clothes.

She eventually locates them and pulls them on and then quickly puts on her jewelry and make-up before she pulls her the hood over her head.

By the time she’s done, Bakura is standing up and waiting for her by the door. When she walks over to him he bends down and gives her a kiss. “Stay safe, my Yume.” He whispers when they part.

“I will.” Yumeri promises. “You stay safe.”

Bakura nods. “As safe as a thief can be.”

“And not just any thief; the King of Thieves.” Yumeri says proudly before she leaves the tent without even a glance back.

0-0-0

Back with Ryou and Tama the two have entered the town and are trying to get someone to help them.

“Excuse me!” Tama loudly says. “Can you possibly--” She stops and growls when the man who’s attention she was trying to get just keeps walking. “What is wrong with the people in this damn town?! Are they so busy that they can’t even stop to answer a single damn question?!”

Ryou looks around in confusion, stopping in the middle of the street. He yells out when a bunch of kids run toward him without looking where they’re going. He throws up his arms defensively and braces himself for the impact.

It never comes.

“They went right through you.” Tama says in shock. “What is this place?” She asks herself.

Ryou lowers his arms back down to his sides. “Well… we came here- to Egypt I mean- to get back the spirits’ memories. So maybe we’re in their memories. Or something like that.”

“Fanfuckingtastic.” Tama mutters. “But where’s everyone else? It doesn’t make sense that we’re here and everyone else isn’t.”

“Unless they went to a different part of the memories.” Ryou says logically. “Lets look for Bakura and Yumeri and see if following one of them will lead up to the others. They’re bound to be looking for the pharaoh, right?”

0-0-0

In another part of Egypt, outside of the palace, are Yugi, Anzu, Katsuya, Honda, and Seto. The five of them are busy trying to find some way or another into the palace, but keep getting distracted. First there was Katsuya and Honda’s hunger, then they met Babosa, and then they saw Kisara and who had to have been Seto’s past self.

(But everyone already knows what’s happening with them and Yami, so we’ll go back to the others.)

0-0-0

Yumeri slowly slides open the wall just an inch or so and peers out to see if the coast is clear. She sighs in relief when she sees that it is. “Thank Isis.” She murmurs, sliding it open the rest of the way so she can step into the hall. As she’s closing the opening one of the guards, a young man named Jono, walks around the corner and spots her.

“Lady Yumeri!” Jono shouts.

Yumeri winces, thinking she’s been caught by someone who will report her to Seth or to her cousin.

Jono runs over to her and stops a few feet away. “What are you doing trying to sneak out of the palace during the day?” He asks with a wink. “You should be preparing for your meeting with the Shadow Guards!”

Yumeri looks at Jono in a mixture of surprise and relief. Relief that it’s he who caught her and surprised at how he always knows everything. “Jono… how do you always know everything that goes on around here?”

Jono laughs. “That’s easy, milady. The servants hear everything. And since I talk to most of the servants (read: harasses the cooks) I hear everything.”

“Ahh, that explains it.” Yumeri says. “You promise not to tell anyone I’ve been out all night?” She asks.

“It’s a promise.” Jono agrees. “But you know, one of these days I want to go along with you.”

Yumeri smiles. “There’s a chance. If you don’t mind doing something slightly illegal that is.” She jokes. “Now where exactly is this meeting that I’m suppose to be attending and am most likely late to?”

Jono motions for her to follow him and then starts walking. “If there’s one thing I’ve learnt it’s that royalty is never late.

Yumeri rolls her eyes. “I’m only half royalty and it’s only because Atemu is my cousin that I haven’t been banished for disrupting the peace or anything.”

“I’m sure it’s more than that.” Jono tells her, stopping after turning another corner. “Go straight down the hall and it’s the last door on the left before the next turn. Good luck.”

“Thanks.” Yumeri says. “And I’ll see you tonight. Wear something more peasant-like and make sure it has a hood.” With an almost predatorily look in her eyes she gives him a smile and then hurries down the hall to the meeting.

Jono shakes his head and starts walking back to his post, making sure to take a good look at the area he found Yumeri sneaking in from. ‘I think I will join her.’

0-0-0

“Is it possible to be this hot when we’re in a memory?” Tama pants as she and Ryou trek through the desert after who can only be Yumeri.

“Apparently so.” Ryou replies tiredly. “I think I see the palace ahead, if that helps.”

Tama sighs in relief. “Maybe we’ll be able to find the others soon. If they’re even here that is.”

“I’m sure they are.” Ryou says. “For now lets just hope we’re not seeing things.”

“If we’re both seeing the same thing then most likely we’re not seeing things.” Tama says smartly. “That was the first thing I learnt when daddy brought Kiba, Seto, Mokuba, Malik, and I to Egypt on business a few years ago.”

“Good to know.”

0-0-0

Back in the palace the day is dragging by for Yumeri, who has gone through her two-hour meeting with the Shadow Guards and is now in a meeting with the priests and single priestess.

Yumeri yawns, completely bored with the subject of new alters in the shrine. Seth notices but says nothing, bored with the conversation himself.

What feels like hours later but is really only five minutes, Yumeri is “rescued” by Jono coming to tell her that the head guard needs to see her.

With a cheerful smile Yumeri bids the priests goodbye and lets Jono escort her from the room. Once they’re in the hallway she breathes a sigh of relief. “Thanks for the rescue, Jono. One more second of listening to whether red or purple drapes would look best in the throne room and I would have gone crazy!”

“You’re already crazy.” Jono says jokingly. “Now go on, the captain wants to talk to you about that break-in we had when the pharaoh took the throne.”

Yumeri’s expression turns grim. “Well this is going to be a happy conversation. ‘Lady Yumeri, where the hell were you?!’, ‘Oh, I was so busy sneaking out of the palace that I couldn’t protect my cousin.’ Joy.” She sarcastically says.

Jono laughs. “Just try and bend the truth a little. Or tell as much as the truth as you can without revealing anything at all. You’re good at that.”

“That’s not the greatest thing to be proud of, but that is a good idea.” Yumeri says. “Thanks for the idea, Jono. See you tonight?”

Jono nods.

“Good. Now I have something to look forward to.” Yumeri says. “See you later. I have an angry captain to talk to.”

0-0-0

“Baaaaakuurrrraaaaa!” Mariku sings as she steps into his partner’s tent. “It’s a wonderful day to go steal something, so get off your lazy ass and get the hell out of this tent and come join me!”

Bakura just pulls on his red coat. “I’m busy Mariku.”

Mariku scowls. “Is it just me or have you been obsessed with Atemu lately? And I know I’m not the only one who has noticed. Yumeri has noticed as well. In fact, she was the one to point it out to me.”

“I have not been obsessing over the damn pharaoh.” Bakura growls. “As soon as I have my revenge things will go back to normal.”

“At what cost?” Mariku demands. “The cost of your life? At the risk of losing your wife? You know that whatever stress you put on Atemu and the palace puts stress on Yumeri. After all, she’s part of the Shadow Guard and commands the normal soldiers and guards.”

“She’ll be fine.” Bakura growls. “Leave me be. Today is the day.” He says as he bruses right past Mariku.

Mariku turns a worried eye onto his friend and watches as Bakura leaves. He clenches his fist, crumpling the tarot card he is holding. “Damn it, Bakura. Now is not the time for your so-called revenge.” Dark lilac eyes narrow in determination. “I have to stop him.”

0-0-0

Yumeri boredly listens as the captain rants on about how Bakura snuck into the palace after desecrating the tomb of the previous pharaoh. He continues on until one of the guards bursts through the door yelling, “Sir! It’s the thief Bakura! He’s back!”

The captain curses and jumps up. “Quickly! Issue all guards and soldiers the order to protect the pharaoh at all costs!” He turns to face Yumeri to ask her what her orders are, but she’s already gone and running down the hall. Cursing again the captain turns back around and glares at his subordinate. “What are you waiting for?! Go!”

Down the hall Yumeri slowly comes to a stop in an empty hallway. With a loud curse she swings a fist into the stone wall, wincing when pain races up through her entire arm. “Damn you, Bakura.” She mutters. “I thought you were over the whole revenge thing.” She sighs and lowers her arm. “I have to stop him before he either gets himself killed or actually kills Atemu. I have no desire to live without my husband or being ruler of Egypt. But I’ll need help…” She reaches up and grasps her golden pendant. “And I know just who to ask.” Her mind made up, Yumeri runs to the secret passage she uses to get outside and slides open the wall and slips through.

As caught up in her thoughts as she is, she doesn’t notice that one of the many men in the Shadow Guard that hates her has heard everything she said, including the part about Bakura being her husband.

He smirks. ‘Your downfall is coming, bitch.’

0-0-0

Outside Yumeri runs as fast as she can out onto the streets, ignoring the masses of screaming people.

“YUMERI!”

Yumeri looks in the direction from which she heard her name being called to see Mariku racing over to her on his gorgeous bay. “Mariku!” She exclaims when he gets close enough. “What are you doing here?”

“Trying to stop Bakura!” Mariku responds over the crowd. “What are you doing out here? And shouldn’t you be in your Shadow Guard uniform?”

“It’s under my cloak.” Yumeri answers the second question. “And I’m out here for the same reason that you are: to stop Bakura.”

“Great. I’ll take the ground and you take the sky?” Mariku asks. “The best way to find him and try to stop him is if we go both ways. And your dragons will be able to sense where Diabound is.”

Yumeri almost shivers at the mention of Bakura’s chimera-like shadow monster. “Agreed.” She says.

Mariku nods and races off on Bakura’s trail while Yumeri hurries out of the village so she can summon one of her three guardian dragons; Dragon of Chaotic Darkness.

The large black dragon rises into the sky, ebony wings unfurled to their full length, and lets out a roar that can be heard for miles around. Many people stop and stare in awe and fear at the giant creature. Two of those people are Ryou and Tama, who have finally gotten into town and are looking for the others.

Tama looks at the dragon in surprise for a moment before she grabs Ryou’s wrist and starts going down a path that looks like it will lead to the dragon.

“Is it really wise to be going toward the huge dragon?” Ryou asks worriedly.

“That’s the Dragon of Chaotic Darkness and there’s only one person who could have summoned it and that’s Yumeri.” Tama replies, not letting go of his wrist.

Ryou is silent for a moment as he goes over an idea forming in his mind. “Since we’re in a memory from ancient Egypt, that means duel monsters are real here, right?”

“Yeah.”

“So it stands to reason if one of us were to summon one of our duel monsters we could get along faster, right?” Ryou asks.

Tama stops and turns around, still not letting go of Ryou’s wrist. “You’re brilliant!” She exclaims.

Ryou blushes a little. “Thanks.”

Tama lets go of his wrist to check her pockets for her deck. She frowns when she can’t find it and then makes the motion of smacking herself on the head and opens the pouch tied onto her right leg and takes out her deck. “Alright, here’s to hoping the first card is a good one!” She slides the top card off her deck and smiles. “Perfect.”

Ryou tries to move to see what card Tama has drawn, but she moves too quickly for him.

“I summon Kiryu!”

Ryou gulps at the sight of the fierce red dragon as it appears with a roar, spiked tail lashing. The next thing he knows, Tama is pulling him closer to the dragon and helping him up on its back. Once he’s up there, Tama climbs on as well and sits down in front of him.

“Hang on tight. I’m pretty sure Kiryu is a fast flyer.” Tama warns. “Kiryu! Take flight!” She orders without waiting for a reply from Ryou. “We need to follow the Dragon of Chaotic Darkness.”

Kiryu looks uneasy at the prospect of following one of the ruling dragons, which makes Tama sigh. “Alright… just take flight so we can try and find our friends.” She instructs.

Kiryu gives a roar of appreciation and then unfurls its wings and flying quickly into the air.

Ryou wraps his arms around Tama’s waist and closes his eyes before leaning his head on Tama’s shoulder, not at all liking the feeling. Meanwhile Tama grabs a hold of one of the many spikes on Kiryu’s back so she and Ryou don’t fall off.

“Isn’t this great?” She asks gleefully, enjoying the feeling. “Whoa! All of the people down there look like ants!” She laughs. “Kiryu, we need to get a little closer. It’s hard to see anyone from way up here.”

Ryou holds on tighter as they descend until Tama gives the order to stop descending.

“Ryou, are you going to help?” Tama asks, noticing the white-haired boy has his eyes closed.

Ryou shakes his head. “No. Altitude sickness.”

“Why didn’t you say something before? I would have gone through my deck to try and find my two Amazoness Tiger cards!” Tama exclaims. “Jeez.” She lets out a sigh. “Well I guess it’s too late now. Kiryu! We’re looking for a group of people that don’t fit in in this time period! One of them should have hair colored similarly to mine except his is all spiked up.”

Kiryu roars in reply and speeds up, its sharp eyes quickly scanning the crowds.

Ryou whimpers a little and clings more tightly to Tama.

“Don’t worry Ryou.” Tama whispers. “I won’t let you fall.”

“Faster Darkness!” Yumeri yells over the sound of flapping and air rushing past over Chaotic Darkness’s scales and wings. “Bakura’s right ahead!”

“I see him, Yumeri.” Chaotic Darkness says, his deep voice purring gently with amusement. “Hold on tight!”

Yumeri grips one of the spikes that runs down Chaotic Darkness’s back as the black dragon speeds up and begins flying down to the sand. Together they soar over Bakura, who looks up at them with an annoyed expression on his face.

When she’s close enough to the ground, Yumeri jumps off of Chaotic Darkness’s back and lands in front of Bakura. Chaotic Darkness just keeps going, his duty done for the time.

Bakura yanks back on the reigns, forcing his horse to come to a stop. “What are you doing, Yumeri?” He growls out. “Let me pass!”

“No!” Yumeri yells stubbornly, spreading her arms defiantly. “Stop this foolishness before you get yourself killed, Bakura!”

“I will have my revenge for what that bastard did to my family! To my village!” Bakura yells. “He took them all away from me!”

“And what am I to you?! Nothing?!” Yumeri yells back, holding up her hand from which a golden ring shimmers on one of her fingers. “Am I not your wife? Am I not still here?” She demands angrily.

“You don’t get it! You’ve always lived comfortably in the damn palace because your daddy,” Bakura practically spits out the word. “is one of the pharaoh’s damn advisors!”

“Then explain it to me! Explain to me why you believe killing Atemu will avenge your family and village when he did nothing! He was seven, eight at the most at that time! And if you are to blame royalty then you may very well blame me as well!”

“Why the hell are you defending him!?” Bakura demands.

“BECAUSE HE’S MY FUCKING COUSIN, YOU BASTARD!!!” Yumeri screams out all her frustrations, her hatred of Bakura’s idea of revenge.

The two fall silent except for Yumeri’s harsh breathing.

“He’s your what?” Bakura growls dangerously, getting down from his horse without taking his eyes off of Yumeri. He walks over to her and places his fingers under her chin and tilts her chin up until her eyes meet his. “Tell me.”

“He’s my cousin.” Yumeri says clearly, her eyes holding no remorse. “Atemu and I are cousins and that is why I live in the palace, besides my father being an advisor.”

“LADY YUMERI!!!”

The two are interrupted by the yell of one of the Shadow Guards. Soon an entire group of Shadow Guards appears over a sand dune and Yumeri curses when she sees who is leading the group: a young man with hateful eyes and hair the color of new silt delivered by the Nile.

“Strike one!” He yells.

Several of the Shadow Guards automatically aim their arrows at Bakura and shoot. With a loud curse Yumeri shoves Bakura out of the way, taking the arrows in his stead. As arrows pierce through her side, her arm, and a leg, she takes one last look at the shocked expression on Bakura’s face and thinks, ‘Damn that sleeping poison!’ as she slips off into unconsciousness.

0-0-0

Some time later…

“I don’t see them.” Tama mutters. “Where on Earth are they? They have to be around here somewhere.” She glances back at Ryou, who is looking more and more green by the second. ‘I’ve got to get Ryou back on the ground. Dragon flight doesn’t seem to agree with him very well. And since when has he been ‘Ryou’ to me?’ She wonders.

Kiryu suddenly roars, knocking Tama out of her musings. Tama looks ahead and gasps when she sees a ball of lightning flying right toward them. She curses loudly, tells Ryou to hold on tight, and gives Kiryu the order to try and dodge it.

Kiryu dodges it to the best of its ability, but gets clipped on the side by some of the lightning. It affects Tama more than it does Kiryu.

Tama yells out in pain and lets go of Kiryu’s spike to clutch at her side. Without warning Kiryu pitches to the side and Tama slips off of the dragon’s back and begins falling. Ryou cries out when he feels her slip and holds on more tightly to one of Kiryu’s spikes.

Fortunately, Tama can concentrate enough through the pain to grab onto a spike on Kiryu’s leg. “Ryou, help!” She yells, fearful of falling. It may be just a memory, but damage can still be done.

Ryou hesitantly opens his eyes, his desire of saving Tama overcoming his fear. He trembles a moment when he sees her barely hanging on but then takes a breath and forces back any fear. “Hold on!” He shouts. “I’ll try and reach you!” He takes one hand off of the spike he’s holding onto and reaches down to her, stretching as far as he can without hurting himself badly. His muscles strain as he tries to reach her and once Tama reaches up with one hand their fingertips brush and strengthen his resolve to pull her up.

Tama bites her lip and tries to pull herself up more so she can grab Ryou’s hand, but in her attempts to pull herself up and from sweating so much her hand on the spike begins to slip. She glances down fearfully and makes one last attempt to strain her muscles past what they can handle and pull herself up to grab Ryou’s hand. Just as their fingertips brush again, this time not just fleetingly, her grip slips and she plummets to the ground far below.

“TAMA!” Ryou screams. Led on by instincts and fear alone, he jumps after her in hopes of saving her. Kiryu roars and goes into a dive, folding its wings in order to fall more quickly, but before the dragon can even make it to Ryou its strength it was receiving from Tama gives out and it fades away, leaving mere traces of energy behind.

0-0-0

Elsewhere, Yumeri stumbles out of the palace dressed in simple cloth dress with the help of Jono. “Take me up onto the wall, Jono.” She murmurs weakly.

Jono nods and picks her up without a word, carrying her up the stairs that lead to the top of the wall overlooking Egypt. He carefully sets her down when they reach the top and then helps her sit down on the wall before taking a seat next to her. From their spot on the wall they can both see the damage Atemu and Bakura’s battle is causing.

“Neither of them is going to make it, are they?” Jono asks knowingly, his hazel eyes sadly trained on the two fighting kings.

Yumeri shakes her head. “No. I don’t think so.” She says, before she turns her head to look at Jono. “I want you to promise me one thing, Jono: take care of Seth for me.”

Jono jerks his head around and looks at her in surprise, not wanting to accept what she’s saying. “But Lady-“

“No.” Yumeri interrupts, raising a single pale hand. Although weak, her voice carries its usual air of power and confidence. “Jono, you know as well as I do that I never took the antidote for the poison. And even if I had I would have died of heartbreak or of one of the Shadow Guards murdering me. And anyway,” She casts her eyes back out to Atemu and Bakura. “I know what’s going to happen.”

“Isis told you then.” Jono says, defeated.

Yumeri nods. “Yes. Fate has dictated I die here with Bakura and be reunited with him in the future. I won’t argue with that.”

Jono sighs. “I don’t suppose you can.” He wraps his arms around her shoulders, seeking comfort from his strongest friend.

The two shield their eyes as the combined three god monsters obliviate Zork, sending him out of their planet for the rest of eternity.

“This is it.” Yumeri whispers, laying her head on Jono’s shoulder. “You’re my best friend, you know that, Jono?”

Jono smiles sadly, feeling his time with her growing short. “I know.” He whispers.

Yumeri nods and closes her eyes. “Please don’t leave me.” She says weakly, sounding defeated for the first time.

Jono forces himself to swallow and fights back tears. “I won’t.” He promises her. “I’ll be by your side through the sands of time, ready to help you when you need it most.” His lips quiver a moment, but he straightens himself out in his determination to remain strong for Yumeri.

With a soft smile on her face, Yumeri gives a soft sigh and drifts off into sleep, her heartbeat slowing down until it stops completely. Around her neck the dragon pendant activates its last bit of magic, ensuring the future will go as planned.

0-0-0

Moments before Yumeri’s passing, right before the defeat of Zork, Ryou has fallen fast enough that he has caught up to Tama and grabbed her hand. In a brilliant flash of light, pure white wings explode from Ryou’s back. The feathers of light shimmer ethereally, acting as prisms and casting small rainbows over the two of them.

Tama looks at the wings in amazement, reaching one hand up to brush against the features, expecting to feel nothing. She gasps when her hand comes in contact with very solid feathers, that send a warmth tingling from her fingertips all the way down her arm. She breaks her gaze away from the wings to look Ryou in the eye with a soft smile. “My angel.”

Ryou blushes, his entire face going red. “I- I’m no angel.” He murmurs.

“To me you are.” Tama says, quickly kissing him on the cheek before her bout of confidence leaves her.

0-0-0

With a bright flash of light and curses promising pain and torture, the group who journeyed to the past lands in a heap in front of the stone tablet. Mariku, Yumeri, Bakura, and Yami are among that group.

“What the heck?” Tama groans. “Oh, my back. Jounouchi, you’re my pal and all but you’re really heavy. Get off.”

“Eh? Sorry!”

Eventually they all get untangled and look around in confusion, sticking together in little groups. Katsuya, Yugi, Yami, Seto, Anzu, and Honda stand together, Katsuya and Seto standing a little closer than usual. Yumeri stands right between Bakura and Mariku, running her hands down her arms trying to chase away goosebumps. Standing by themselves are Tama and Ryou, who are determinedly not meeting each others eye after their little moment in the past. Tama’s arm still tingles from where she touched Ryou’s wings of light.

“So what do we do now?” Mariku asks, breaking the silence that had fallen over them all.

Isis appears at that statement, along with Ashling, Liam, Noa, Malik, and Mokuba.

“Now we must journey across the Nile to the pharaoh’s true tomb.” Isis says. “With the completion of a ritual the pharaoh, Mariku, Yumeri, and Bakura will all go to their rightful place, leaving behind this world.

A heavy silence follows that statement.

“Well… we should get going.” Yugi says. “There’s no use in delaying it…” He looks sadly up at Yami, who avoids meeting his gaze. The smaller looks away sadly.

“Let us go.” Isis says, turning around and walking away frm the stone tablet.

Everyone else follows, heavy thoughts weighing on their minds.