Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Fate's Card ❯ Breaking ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Fate's Card

"Spoken"

'Thought'

^~*^~* Change from the normal realm to the Card realm or vice versa ^~*^~*

Update Notices: Since I don't have a particular pattern of updating, just leave an e-mail address in your review or mail me at celtic_guardian_gurly@hotmail.com /my address stated in my bio and I'll mail you when I actually do update this fic … ^_^

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh.

Part 5 - Breaking

-~*~^~*~-

The band of monsters had been marching on continuously for quite sometime, with the exception of a few breaks either for the Dark Magician to recover from an attack or the more occasional scuffle between the two egocentric warriors, the Black Luster Soldier and the Summoned Skull. As such, the Flame Swordsman led the group, the Dark Magician, Celtic Guardian and Mystical Elf closely following, the Black Luster Soldier not far off with the Summoned Skull taking the rear. Suddenly, a loud rip rung out through the air, as a low-lying branch caught a piece of flowing green material.

"Fiddlesticks…"

All eyes fixated upon the female elf and watched as she finished inspecting the tear in her dress and met with their looks, "…what?"

Summoned Skull scoffed at her, "fiddlesticks? You have serious issues…"

"Look who's talking," Black Luster Soldier commented, walking over to Mystical Elf, "some people are just born with rods up their-"

The indigo-haired mage spun round and sighed, interrupting the cocky redhead before he and the Summoned Skull got into another fight… "Can't you two be civil for any longer than 10 minutes? At this rate you'll draw unnecessary attention to us,"

Celtic Guardian almost jumped out of his skin, before drawing out his sword in one swift move and placing it to the throat of their unexpected guest.

"Too late for that…" the Witty Phantom laughed, scrutinizing the elf in front of him, "you're presence was…expected,"

"Say what!" the Black Luster Soldier exclaimed, quickly making his way over, following the purple-clad mage.

"Elf-boy here may be sharp, but you as a group are most certainly not. And I can't say much about your hospitality," the creature smirked deviously, "you should try a warmer approach for the others waiting for you…"

The Witty Phantom scrunched up his nose as he caught sight of an unnatural flash as the Summoned Skull began to power up, and decided that about now was the time to split, and as attention focused on trying to mellow out the angry duel monster, he took the opportunity to leap back and make his escape.

Dark Magician looked up, and caught sight of the Witty Phantom waving his hat at them all from somewhat of a distance; before the black mage could react, the creature vanished into the trees, leaving one warning with them, "I have tricks up my sleeves, waiting just for you…"

Dark Magician frowned as he stared on at the now 'empty' space stretching over to the horizon, raising a slender hand to wipe back the indigo locks hanging out of his helmet and swaying in front of his effeminate blue eyes, before turning around, meeting the look of a pair of amber eyes, as Celtic Guardian placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Yippee, more trouble," the elf commented, before both monsters rolled their eyes and watched as Mystical Elf jumped in between the Summoned Skull and the Black Luster Soldier and scolded them before either could launch their first attack against the other.

"You two are such children!" the blonde elf frowned, pushing each one's head straight into the other's, before dusting her hands of them leaving both rubbing their foreheads and grumbling a variety of profanities.

Dark walked over to the Flame Swordsman, arms folded tightly across his chest as he spoke out, "I think we'd be better off splitting into a few groups, it's much more conspicuous when were all crowded together and I don't think I can take anymore of their pointless bickering,"

Mystical Elf gave a stern nod of agreement from where she stood, fed up of 'mothering' a pair of childish arrogant pains, an energetic elf, a mage that seemed to almost die every few minutes and… she mentally shrugged not really having any concerns about or for the Flame Swordsman.

"The temple isn't too far from here. There are two separate paths to it, six of us and with the knowledge of our presence our backs must be watched." Dark nodded as he processed the options, and beckoned the others over with a wave of his hand, to address them.

"Okay, here's the plan… we split into three pairs… Flame Swordsman and Summoned Skull, if you two stay here and watch our backs… Myst, if you and Black Luster Soldier take the path on the left, and that will leave Celtic and me to take the path on the right; is that okay with you all?"

A spectre-like hand plucked the last of the fragrant herb leaves required, and Soul Release dispersed, her form reappearing within the shelter of her enclosed home. She picked up a roll of bandage, placing the leaves onto the material, folding the herbs inside and placing the bandage into a bowl of boiling water to soak.

She then vaporised to the bed she had waiting, fluffing up the last of the pillows and straightening out the sheet she had lay over the other, in order to prevent blood seeping onto the bed's original covering when the time came. She then walked a few steps to the small table nearby, hovering over and flicking through a large book, pausing as she came across what she was searching for, briefly running through the verse she had been searching for.

She was ready… this was one life that she was capable to save… and was content on saving; but, two others hanging on the edge were beyond even her powers…

The sound of soft, padding feet broke the spirit from her thoughts, and she looked to see the shimmering sleek silver coat of Silver Fang stream past as the creature shot round to her feet and stared up at her. She bent down, extending out a hand to caress the artic wolf's coat before giving it an encouraging pat, watching as it gave her a look of acknowledgement before sprinting off.

"You keep an eye on Dark," Mystical Elf said sternly to Celtic Guardian as she folded her arms, before turning to the black mage in question, "and you keep two eyes on Celtic."

The elf frowned at her, "and what's that supposed to mean?"

"You know what I'm talking about, and hopefully so does Dark. Both of you, just make it to the temple safely, okay?"

Both gave a nod, before Mystical Elf turned to the waiting Black Luster Soldier and walked over, "let's go then,"

Luster gave a smirk and a quick salute to the other two, before walking along to the path he and the female elf were to take, purposely pushing past Summoned Skull on his way.

Summoned Skull began to mutter a variety of insults at the soldier, barely resisting the urge to shoot a bolt of lightning up the redheads… he growled as the Dark Magician gave him a warning stare, almost as if he knew exactly what the skull was thinking.

"When you think everything has been done here, come and meet us all by the temple. Be careful,"

The Celtic Guardian nodded, emphasizing the Dark Magician's request, before both began to walk off in the other direction.

"Either way," the black mage said quietly to his companion, "I have the feeling were walking straight into darkness…"

The elf nodded, sighing as he turned his head to place his burning amber eyes on the purple-clad figure, "I'm… scared for you Dark… whatever is behind this all has been playing with you… it makes you wonder… what's next?"

The mage returned the gaze as he stopped in his tracks, and tilted his head at Celtic.

"You shouldn't depress yourself over thoughts as such… maybe it will be better for us to go along with a blind eye; fear will only oppose us…"

The elf gave a silent nod, breaking the look before both continued to walk along.

All the time a tempest raged inside the spellcaster's head.

His friends were all that kept him fighting, without them and he couldn't shake the feeling that he was being used like a puppet to break them down; and if they crumbled, he knew he was soon to follow.

He was especially concerned with the elf beside him, his best friend; the one he drew most strength from… concern for him was about ready to start breaking the swordsman, and a feeling of guilt was beginning to set over the mage. He was wondering if it was affecting the others too…

He had to protect them.

At any cost, he was willing.

To Be Continued…