Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Fear Not The Guardian ❯ Revelations ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4 - Revelations

Tristan yawned as he stood in the kitchen, checking all the food. It looked okay. The decorations had been put up by Mai, and they were looking pretty good. He found himself wondering if Hope and her friend Kai were coming…

" You all right?"

Tristan jumped. " Sorry, you scared me," he told Joey.

" Well, it is Halloween…" Joey teased. " Thinking about a certain black and red haired girl?"

Tristan hesitated, realising it wasn't worth the effort trying to lie.

" Does it show?"

Turning away, Joey nodded. " Uh huh. Don't forget, we can read you like a book," he said, grinning and dodging out the kitchen before Tristan could thump him. He just hoped that Kai and Hope couldn't read him like a book as well.

Grandpa looked up as Yugi walked into the front room. " All right?" he asked. Yugi nodded. " Everything looks great. Mai's done a great job with the decorations."

" Good," came Mai's drawling voice from the hall. " If I hadn't, I would have had to do them all over again, now, wouldn't I?"

Yugi laughed. " True."

" Where's Téa?" Mai asked.

" Ummm…I think she's still upstairs. She said she would be down in a second."

As he spoke, Téa walked in, looking very smug.

" You look like the cat that got the cream, honey. What have you been up to?" Mai said. Téa said nothing, just indicated towards the doorway. Yami leaned against the doorframe; his cloak draped over one shoulder. Téa caught Yugi's eye and they both began to laugh. Mai shrieked, startled, and Joey and Tristan came running in. They screeched to a halt when they saw Yami.

" What the hell…?"

Grandpa just stood looking shocked.

" How did you do that?" he asked.

Yugi patted his Grandpa's arm. " Téa used her White Witch card and cast a spell. Yami and I asked her to do it for us."

Grandpa walked over to Yami, and shook his hand. " Welcome Yami, to the modern world." He grinned, then walked past the others. " I believe your party has started. I am off to my shop…I am sure there will be a few people who will try to get in…"

Joey adjusted the top of his puppy costume. Tristan sneered at him. " And you're wearing that because…"

" Mai wanted me to."

Unable to contain himself, Tristan snorted. " And you actually did what she said?"

Joey nodded, and walked past him, his head in the air. Tristan shook his head. " I guess she has a lot more power over Joey than he likes to admit." He looked down and tugged the long black coat he was wearing, and slid the black tinted sunglasses on. He had tried to look like Keanu Reeves from The Matrix. Looking round, he checked out what the others were wearing. Téa had an outfit that made her look like an Egyptian queen, and Yami was wearing his clothes from when he was a pharaoh. Joey had his puppy outfit on, Yugi was wearing a magician's costume, and Mai had a short tartan mini-skirt on, platform shoes and a black strappy top with a couple of chains hanging down. Probably to keep Joey under control, Tristan thought, grinning to himself.

The doorbell rang, and Yugi turned some music on and switched the lights off while Tristan opened the door.

" We brought some pumpkins," Hope said, smiling at him. Kai stood next to her, and both were wearing cheerleader outfits, except Kai was in orange and white, and Hope was in red and black. Good cheerleader, bad cheerleader, Tristan thought. Both were holding huge jack-o'-lanterns, and he held out his hands for Hope's.

" They're great!" he said, indicating for them to come in. They put one in the kitchen and one in the hallway, and then went into the front room.

" Hey everyone!" Kai said. Everyone greeted her and Hope, and then the doorbell went again.

The party was in full swing.

Hope squeezed past all the people crowded into the front room dancing, and moved into the hall. Stepping out the front door, she noticed Tristan leaning against the porch, and she stood behind him.

" Too many people, right?" she asked softly. Tristan jumped, and she laughed. " Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

He grinned at her. " It's okay. It was getting too hot in there."

" And too loud."

" Yeah, that as well."

" So how long have you been living here? It's a gorgeous house."

" About a year. We lived closer to Domino City before - but Yugi's Grandpa bought it for us. We get more freedom here."

" It's huge."

" Yeah. There are loads of secret passages that we haven't explored yet. Joey has a knack of finding them."

" Is that a mausoleum I see down there?" Hope asked, pointing through the trees.

" Yeah. We don't like it down there, though. Reminds us too much of last year."

" I heard about that," Hope told him quietly. " I met Ryou and he told me about it."

" You met Ryou?"

" Yeah. He was on probation. Kai and I were in a café and he asked if he could sit with us. He seemed pretty nice. It's hard to think that Bakura could control him like that."

" And you believed him?"

" I know it seems strange, but he was so sincere. If he was nuts, he would be in the local asylum, not jail."

Tristan laughed. " Good point."

" I don't think it's over yet, though."

Tristan turned to look at Hope. She was staring out into the darkness, expressionless, as if in a trance.

" What do you mean?"

" Someone else has picked up where Bakura left off. I can feel it. There's someone down there. Watching. Waiting. They want power. They want revenge. And they will stop at nothing to get it."

" What are you talking about?" Tristan caught hold of her arm. She glanced at him, confused.

" Let's go back inside," she said, taking her arm out of his grip and giving him a strange look before going back inside.

Steffi, Sara and Sian crept into the closet. " There's got to be something in here that we can freak them out with," Sian said.

" Nobody messes with the Trio and gets away with it," Steffi added.

" Are you sure this is a good idea?" Sara asked. The other two rounded on her.

" `Are you sure this is a good idea?'" Steffi mocked. " Sara, Yugi and Téa are going to pay for what they did. And I don't like the way that new girl - Hope - is getting close to Tristan."

" He's never going to look at you again, Sian, you know that," Sara told her.

" Bitch. Are you in or out?" Sian said.

" Out." She got up and walked out.

" She's going to tell," Steffi observed. " We can pay her back for that later. Now. Where's the fuse box?"

The lights flickered outside the closet, and suddenly all was dark and silent. There were screams, and Steffi stepped back in confusion. " Okay. That wasn't me."

Just as Hope reached Kai, the whole place was plunged into darkness, and everything electrical suddenly cut out.

" I think we've got a power cut," Yugi grumbled, pushing past Hope to try and calm everyone down and find the fuse box. Kai looked suspiciously flustered.

" What's up with you, girl?" Hope asked her. Kai gave her a hug.

" Let's just say I'm gonna stay in Domino City as long as I can," she said, grinning and staring past Hope's shoulder. Hope twisted round to look in her line of sight, and saw the tall figure of Yugi talking to Yami. She laughed.

" Go Kai!"

Sian pulled back. " Are you sure?"

" Uh, yeah. Perfectly. I'm not that stupid."

Sian couldn't help but mutter, " Sure?" under her breath.

There was a breeze drifting round them, and Sian shivered. " Maybe we'd better get out of here before Yugi comes looking for the fuse box."

" Good idea."

The breeze got stronger, and Steffi turned to Sian. " What the hell is that?"

" I don't know…"

A dark shadowy face appeared in front of them, and even though they could barely see in the dark, they could see the face was angry.

Get out…

The voice came out of nowhere. Steffi and Sian screamed. They didn't need telling again. As they bolted out the closet, the shadow followed them.

Téa manoeuvred her crutches in front of her, and limped over to Yami. " What's going on?" she asked. Everyone had calmed down, and were slowly beginning to enjoy the peace. It made everything even spookier.

Yami slid his arm round her. " It's okay. Yugi's sorted everything out. If the power cut carries on, I'm sure we can find candles to light up the place."

Just as Téa was about to speak, there were loud screams from the hallway and a strong breeze flew round her.

" What's going on?" Yami asked. Yugi looked worried.

" I have no idea…"

Yami's arm tightened round Téa's waist, and she leant back into him. " Something doesn't feel right," she murmured, as Kai came over.

" Yugi, is this meant to be happening?" Kai asked. He put his hand on her arm.

" No, it's not. Where are the others?"

" Hope's over there, and Tristan, Joey and Mai are in the kitchen." She indicated with her arm, and winced as someone screamed next to her. " What?"

The girl pointed shakily in the direction of a glowing figure in the corner. It was standing by Hope.

" Hope!" Kai yelled over the noise of the wind that had suddenly picked up and was whipping everyone's hair and clothes around. " Get away from the corner!"

Hope paid no attention. Joey, Mai and Tristan appeared by Yugi's side, and stared in the direction of Hope and the glowing figure.

" Maybe she didn't hear you," Téa suggested.

" She heard," Yami told them. " She can't do anything about it." Téa shrank back as she realised what had happened to Hope.

" What's wrong with her?" Kai asked. Yugi pulled her towards him and put his arms around her.

" I have a feeling you're going to find out."

Hope looked directly at them, and suddenly there was silence. The wind dropped, and the glowing figure by Hope disappeared.

" It is a pleasure to see you again, Pharaoh," came a familiar voice. Yet it was Hope speaking.

" Marik," Yami growled. " What do you want?"

Hope gave a haunting laugh. " In time, Pharaoh, you will see. But for now, I just wanted to let you know I am back, and there's nothing that is going to stop me from getting what I want."

" Leave her alone. Why can't you show your face? You are always hiding behind a mind control - why? What is wrong with facing me?"

" I want to prolong the suspense, my Pharaoh. You will see me all in good time."

" Leave us alone, Marik."

Hope pointed towards Yami, her eyes registering no recognition. " You have something I want, Bel um Fal, and I will get it if it's the last thing I do!"

The wind was up again, and whipped round Hope, playing havoc with her hair. She dropped her arm by her side, and Kai closed her eyes. She didn't like seeing her best friend in this state. Yugi tightened his grip on her.

Tristan approached Hope, and she looked blankly at him. There was a chilling laughter, and her eyes rolled up in her head. Tristan caught her as she fell and held her. The wind stopped, and Yugi realised everyone else had gone home. Probably too scared.

" Is she all right?" Téa asked, using her crutches and hobbling over to Tristan.

" Yeah, I think she just fainted," he replied. Hope's eyes began to open, and her green eyes were now dull.

" Ow…" she murmured. " What happened?"

" You were possessed," Yugi told her. " You should be all right now."

Hope stared at him. " You're joking, right?"

" No." Yami had walked over, and shook his head. " He's telling the truth."

Tristan helped Hope stand up, and put his arm round her waist to support her.

" Something's going to happen," she said.

" What do you mean?"

Hope shook her head. " I don't know, but I can feel it. Something bad."

Marik glanced at the shadow hovering in the corner.

" You seem tense."

The Pharaoh is strong…

" And you are not?"

I might not be able to fight him…

" You will! If you disobey me, then you will be banished to the scarab forever!" Marik checked his watch and laughed. " Midnight. It is time, Kobora."

Yes, master…

Hope squinted at the light suddenly shining in the room. " Now I know I'm dreaming," she muttered, trying to stand upright on her own. " Guys, this looks really bad…"

A wave of drowsiness washed over everyone, and the light grew stronger and stronger until it nearly blinded them. Their eyes closed and they sank thankfully into the darkness.