Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Fear Not The Guardian ❯ All Hallow's Eve ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3 - All Hallow's Eve

(Six months later)

Hope glanced around as she walked up the steps into Domino High School. A lot of girls were clustered together, whispering, and she had a small feeling they were aimed at her. But she ignored it, choosing to find her locker. A group of boys walked past, giving her the eye, and one wolf-whistled.

" Well look what they imported from the UK," one of them joked. Hope rolled her eyes and moved past them, finding the locker and hoping to God she could remember the code and open it.

When she finally got it open, she glanced at the timetable stuck on the inside and pulled out some books. Her glasses slipped down her nose, and she tried to push them back up, but only succeeded in dropping both her books and the glasses. Sighing, she bent down to pick them up.

" Here, let me help you." A hand suddenly appeared in her view and she glanced up to see a boy of her own age with brown hair and dark eyes smiling at her. " Are you new here?" he asked, as they stood up. She picked up the small frames he held in his hand and slipped them back on.

" How did you guess?" she asked, taking the books from him and slamming the locker door.

" How about I haven't seen you around here before?" he replied. She couldn't help but smile.

" I come from the UK. My dad is Japanese, and my mum is English. We lived in the UK until they split up, and I came back with my dad to Domino City. "

" My name's Tristan Taylor," the boy said, holding out his hand. Hope shifted the books to her other arm and shook it.

" Sorry," she blushed. " My name's Hope Kiyo-shin."

A group of people walked up at that moment, one on crutches. Hope stared at the girl who was leaning heavily on a boy with a strange object round his neck.

" Téa?" she asked. The girl's eyes narrowed, then widened with recognition.

" Nurse Kiyo-shin?"

Hope grinned, and Téa stepped forward to give her a hug.

" How are you?" she asked. Téa smiled.

" I'm okay. I won't be able to walk properly for at least another year, but I'll be okay. Where did you go?"

Téa hadn't seen Hope since the day her bandages were taken off her eyes.

" I was only a temporary nurse. My dad works there, and he lets me help out on the night shifts. I'm sorry I didn't come back, but I went back to England to stay with my mum over the summer. I've only just got back."

" You look so different," Téa said. Hope fingered her hair. The top had been dyed black, and the underside was red.

" I like the gothic look," Hope admitted, looking sheepish. " My mum was always really strict about my hair, but my dad said if I was going to live in Japan I might as well look my ancestry."

" You've got glasses, as well," Téa stated.

" Yeah, they made me wear contacts at the hospital. I hate them though. I much prefer my good old glasses," she laughed.

" Hey, what about introducing everyone?" Tristan asked. Hope nodded. Téa introduced everyone, and as the bell went, they went their separate ways and agreed to meet up at lunch.

As Hope joined the gang outside, a girl waved her hand and shouted to get her attention. She looked up and grinned, waving back. The girl ran over to Hope, smiling at the others when she was near. Hope hugged the girl.

" I was wondering when you were going to get here," she said. The girl's short, orangey hair bobbed up and down as she laughed. Hope turned to the gang, and introduced the girl to them.

" This is Kai Black, my best friend who came with me. Her parents are fond of travelling, and they thought they would accompany me here."

Kai shook everyone's hand in turn.

" Domino City's great," she said enthusiastically. " They've got so much more than where we used to live," she added, looking at Hope who nodded.

" Where did you live before?" Téa asked.

" Ashford, in the county of Kent. It's not much."

" Come and sit down," Yugi said, and everyone seated themselves on the ground in the shade of a large tree.

" It sure is hot for October," Tristan noted, taking off his jacket and sitting down on it. He also noted the fact that Hope had sat down near him.

" Hey, by the way, I'm having a Halloween party tonight," Yugi told Hope and Kai. " Do you two want to come? You could meet up with us, and there'll be quite a few of the people from Domino High there as well. You'd get a chance to make new friends."

Hope and Kai looked at each other, nodding. " That would be great," Hope said. " Is it fancy dress?"

" Yeah, of course! What did you expect?" Joey asked, nudging Mai as he spoke. She rolled her eyes.

" We never did anything for Halloween," Kaii said, matter-of-factly.

" You do now. You're gonna have a great time, honey," Mai replied.

Téa placed a gold tiara on her head, and smoothed out her dress. She had dressed up as an Egyptian queen, partly because she had been drawn to the idea, and partly because she wanted to for Yami. She took a deep breath as she slid her shoes onto her feet, and took a look at herself in the mirror. She was presentable.

There was a knock at the door, and she woke from her reverie. " Who is it?" she asked.

" It's me," replied Yami. She opened the door, and smiled.

" You shouldn't be here. I was going to make sure you guys didn't see my costume before the party started."

Yami stepped into the room and closed the door. He gave Téa a quick hug.

" Yugi and I want to ask you a favour, Téa. If it's too much, just say."

" What is it?" Téa pulled back so she could see Yami's face.

He took a deep breath and looked earnestly into Téa's eyes. " We wish to be separated."

She looked confused. " What?"

He smiled slightly at her face. " We wish to be in separate bodies. I feel that I am being unfair, not letting Yugi out as often as he wishes because I want to be with you." He touched her cheek with his hand. " I am thinking of all of us."

" Is it possible?" Téa asked. Yami nodded.

" Only someone with great powers can attempt it."

" But…"

" You do have powers, Téa. You have the power of the cards."

She nodded, already knowing what to do. She pulled away from Yami and picked up the White Witch card from her pack. Closing her eyes, she allowed her mind to open, and she could feel the power of the card flowing into her. Words came unbidden to her lips.

Spirit and innocent both entwined,

Body and soul please unbind.

One in one and one in another,

Once were joined; now each a brother.

There was a bright flash of light, and Yami faded from sight as she opened her eyes. She panicked.

" Yami?"

" Téa…"

For a moment she thought it hadn't worked, but then two shadows formed from the Millennium Puzzle, each taking shape and coming into focus. One was shorter than the other, but both were taller than Téa, as Yugi had had a growth spurt over the holidays and was now nearly as tall as Tristan. The shorter figure formed first, wearing a magician's outfit that looked very familiar to Téa. It was Yugi, and she stepped forwards to hug him.

" I was so worried it hadn't worked," she told him.

" Don't worry. Yami wouldn't have let you do it if there was too big a risk involved. Now, I guess I'd better help Grandpa with the refreshments. I'll be downstairs with the others." He moved away from Téa and walked out the door, smiling.

Téa looked back into the corner, where the other figure had appeared, and stepped into his embrace as he moved towards her.

" Thank you, Téa," he said simply.

" Anything for you," she replied. She realized he was wearing an Egyptian costume - and then almost laughed out loud. Of course he was - he was the Pharaoh. His cloak flowed down behind him, and as the breeze came through the half-open window, Téa felt the soft material brush against her cheek.

" I don't know what to say," Yami admitted, holding her tighter. She laughed quietly.

" You don't have to say anything." He brushed his lips across hers, then pulled back.

" Come on. The others are waiting downstairs."

" I can't wait to see their faces," Téa grinned, winding her arm around his waist.

She didn't have to.