Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Flames Will Burn ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Flames Will Burn
 
One
 
 
Yugi looked at the road in front of him as he drove. Every once and a while, his gaze would wander to the person seated in the passenger seat of his Volkswagen Jetta. A deep frown appeared on his face when the other refused to say anything.
 
“Yami,” Yugi said, trying to break the uncomfortable tension between him and his brooding brother. “Say something. Please?”
 
Yami cast a look over at the shorter, his crimson eyes regarding the other coolly. “What do you want me to say?” he asked.
 
“Well,” Yugi tapped his fingers against the steering wheel, applying light pressure to the break pedal as the car came to a red light. “For starters, how does it feel to be out of there? I mean, you've been in jail for almost four years...you've got to feel relieved now, right?”
 
Yami shook his head. “No,” he answered. “Those damn cops will be watching every move I make. And no doubt they'll be looking for Khalid, Moswen and Gahiji now that I'm out.”
 
The younger of the two brothers didn't say anything. He turned left as the car reached an intersection. This caused Yami to blink and sit up straighter.
 
“Yugi, you were supposed to make a right.”
 
Yugi raised an eyebrow. “Pardon?”
 
“A right. You were supposed to make a right. You have to take Crystal Parkway to get to the game shop,” Yami said. He looked back out the window. “Why are you going down Metro? That leads to Uptown Domino.”
 
The amethyst-eyed teen sighed. “We don't live at the game shop anymore,” he answered sadly. Noticing the other eyeing him questioningly, he explained. “Grandpa is in the hospital...he has been for almost a full year now.”
 
“What? Why?”
 
Yugi didn't look at his brother while he answered. “He had a severe heart attack, and fell into a coma. Since I'm still in school, I couldn't take care of the game shop except for on weekends. Because I could only keep it open for two days, and because I had to manage it by myself, I wasn't able to boost the profits or even bring in enough money to pay the bills for it. So I had to put it up for sale.”
 
Yami bit his lower lip. “I'm sorry. If I had been there, I would have helped.”
 
“I know you would have.” Yugi paused, feeling hurt and angry at the same time. “But you weren't there, Yami. You were never there when I needed you the most.”
 
The older flinched slightly at the icy tone the younger had ended his sentence with. He then growled. “Look, I said I was sorry. There was nothing I could have done, though, okay?”
 
“And why is that, Yami? Because you were in jail. And why were you in jail? Because of that stupid gang that you seemed to care about more than your own damn family!”
 
Yami looked away; knowing that what Yugi was accusing him of was partially true. He did love his gang. Khalid, Gahiji and Moswen were like the family he'd never had. They had looked after him, and took him in when his parents had thrown him out of their house. They accepted each other for who they were, unlike Yugi who had never accepted him because of his past habits.
 
“You don't know what you're saying,” Yami said finally. “You don't know what kind of life I had.” He growled lowly in his throat. “And why would you? Mom and dad never booted you out. They never left you out on the streets to fend for yourself. If they had, I think you would probably be in the same situation as me right about now.”
 
Yugi swallowed the lump in his throat. Now he felt guilty. Who was he to question his brother's reasons for joining that gang? Yami had been kicked out, and he really did have nowhere else to go...or anyone else to run to. He apologized softly, hoping to be forgiven.
 
Yami rolled his eyes. Then he changed the topic when he saw large houses coming in to view. “Where have you been staying, anyways?” he wondered aloud.
 
Yugi pursed his lips, knowing his brother wasn't going to like what his reply would be. “Seto's.”
 
Yami's body stiffened slightly. “Seto as in...Seto Kaiba?” A nod. “As in our heartless, rich cousin Seto Kaiba?” Another nod. “What the hell were you thinking?”
 
“He offered me a place to stay after I sold the game shop. How was I supposed to refuse? I mean, I had nowhere else to go since mom and dad are doing that charity work in the Middle-East.” Yugi gave Yami a hard glare. “He's not as bad as he used to be. When I told him that you were being released from prison this year, he told me that you were welcome to stay at the Kaiba Mansion - just as long as you didn't do anything stupid.”
 
“Wow, that doesn't sound like Seto at all. What happened to him that made him generous?”
 
Yugi smirked. “He got a girlfriend.”
 
Yami gasped. “No way. Spill, little brother. Who is she? Is she hot? Would I go for her?”
 
“One question at a time.” Yugi turned into a gated community. “Her name is Kisara D'Aubigne. She's nineteen years old and comes from Bayonne, France. Um,” he thought a moment. “I think she's very pretty. She has light blue hair, and dark blue eyes. I think you'd like her, but don't you dare go making a move on her. She's the only girl Seto's been able to keep for longer than a week.”
 
The older tri-haired male snorted as they pulled into the long driveway of the only house on the street. He whistled. “Whoa...and here I thought he was lying when he used to brag about how big this place was.”
 
Yugi chuckled. “It's even bigger on the inside. But it actually, it gets pretty lonely when no one's around. I think it's more than Seto really needs, since it's only me, him and Mokuba -and now you- that live here.”
 
Yami unbuckled his seatbelt and opened the door. “Well, I won't be here for long, Yugi. Just, you know, until I find a place of my own.”
 
Yugi nodded. “Okay. But Seto says you can stay as long as you need to, so don't feel rushed or anything.”
 
The two brothers walked up the stairs that led to the front porch. Yugi rang the doorbell once they reached it, and the house butler allowed them entrance. Once they got inside, Yami let out another whistle.
 
“Whoa.”
 
His voice echoed throughout the foyer.
 
Yugi and Yami walked into the living room, where they found Seto's younger brother, Mokuba, teaching a blue-haired girl how to work the controller for his Playstation2. The girl looked up when she noticed the small teenager walk into the room.
 
“Yugi!” She blinked when she saw the taller male standing behind him. “Deux Yugi?”
 
Yugi smiled. “Kisara, this is my brother, Yami. Yami, this is Kisara, Seto's girlfriend who I told you about.”
 
Yami grinned at her. “Bonjour,” he greeted.
 
Kisara flushed with delight. “Nice to...meet you,” she replied, fumbling her words slightly.
 
Mokuba ran over. “Yami? Is that really you?” He started laughing. “You really need to shave, man.”
 
The tri-haired young man shot him a nasty look. “Shut up, runt.” He looked around the room. “So where's your brother? Shouldn't he be showing me where I'm staying?”
 
“Seto's at work still. He probably won't be back until late tonight,” Mokuba explained. “He said that you could stay in the pool house, though.”
 
Yami nodded. “The pool house? Nice.”
 
The black-haired young boy walked out of the living room. “Here, I'll show you where it is.”
 
After waving goodbye to Kisara, Yami followed his cousin to the pool house.
 
OOOOOO
 
Yugi sat up in his room later that evening, staring out his window. From his bedroom, he had a clear view of the pool house, and could see through the glass walls. Yami was currently inside the apartment-sized house, exploring the kitchen and whatever was stocked in the cabinets.
 
When the telephone rang, he pulled away from the window and answered it. “Hello?”
 
“Yugi? It's me, Téa.”
 
Yugi grinned and plopped down on the cushioned window seat. “Hey Téa. How are you doing?”
 
“I'm all right. I just called to check up on you. You said your brother was coming back into town today. Did he arrive safely?”
 
The tri-haired teenager laughed nervously. He had never told Téa about his brother's being in jail, because he didn't want her to think bad about his family. That would ruin the chances he had of getting her to be his girlfriend. So he had just told her that Yami had gone with his parents to help with the charity work. “Yeah,” he answered. “He said his flight was fine. He's happy to be back, though. He missed Domino.”
 
“I bet. So anyways, what are you doing for Spring Break? Got any plans?”
 
“No,” Yugi said truthfully. “Maybe we should get together sometime and hang out. How about you come over tomorrow?” Immediately after the words escaped his lips, he regretted it. He didn't want Téa coming over when Yami was around. What if Yami mentioned his gang, or being in prison?
 
Téa giggled on the other end. “Sounds great. And I'd love to meet your brother, if he'll be home. I want to ask him about his work in the Middle-East.”
 
Yugi let out another nervous laugh. “O-okay then. See you tomorrow.”
 
“Bye, Yugi.”
 
After Téa hung up, he quickly slammed down the receiver. “Great... Just great. I should just dig a hole and bury myself right now.”
 
His amethyst eyes traveled down to the pool house below. Yami was walking over to the couch and removing his black muscle-tee at the same time. After sitting on the sofa, Yami propped his feet up on the coffee table and turned on the television.
 
Yugi groaned to himself. “Why did I invite her over? Why couldn't I just ask to meet her somewhere else? If she meets Yami, who knows how her views of me might change?” Tearing himself away from the window, he closed the curtains quickly. “I'll just have to make sure he gets out of the house before she comes over.”
 
Nodding, Yugi laid down on his bed and closed his eyes. He quickly fell asleep, forgetting his problem.