Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Friendship with Chocolate ❯ Eyes on Yugi ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

" Friendship with Chocolate "

During another frosty autumn afternoon in the open fields of Domino High, Yugi and three of the others engaged in a friendly game of dodge ball. Well...."tackle dodge ball, according to Jounouchi. Originally, Yugi and the others were supposed to be playing football, but because of Yugi being not as rough as the other guys, and because of his petite body, Joey decided for them all to play something more suitable in favor of his little buddy.

Dodge ball was simple enough a sport that anyone could play with ease. So instead of Yugi having to run with a ball, Jounouchi decided it better for him to run from it.

To Yugi, the whole ordeal seemed a bit unnecessary with there only being Jou, Ryou and himself playing. Honda couldn't participate because of a previous engagement with Anzu. Needless to say, Yugi wasn't too thrilled about that at all. Whatever was going on between those too, he secretly wished it would just--

"YUGI!! LOOK OUT!!"

The immediate shout from Jounouchi got Yugi to instantly snap out of his wandering thoughts. Instinctively, he looked up, and caught a clear glimpse of the ball speeding directly to his face!

No time to make a move!!!

Preparing himself for impact, Yugi barely had the chance to close his eyes before the green of Jounouchi's favorite jacket closed off his line of vision and he was tackled to the ground.

>THUD!<

In a daze, Yugi lay helplessly suspended beneath Jounouchi's weight. In a whimsical attempt, Jounouchi had lunged at Yugi to knock him out of the way of the ball. Yugi knew that his friend meant well, but this was just a game! Wasn't that a bit overprotective? And Jounouchi was heavy! Yugi was in no position to argue, but he had a hunch that his fairly new fall sweater and scarf were practically embedded into the moistness of the soil and leaves by now. "Ow..." he managed to mutter through the thick fabric of Jounouchi's jacket.

Hearing him say something, Jounouchi relieved Yugi of his weight a little by shifting it to leaning on his elbows. Anxiously, a warm hand met with the cold sting of Yugi's frosty cheeks and cupped them. In a concerned voice, Jounouchi cooed to his friend. "Yugi? Are you all right?"

At the warm tone of his friend, little Yugi managed to get one eye open. Just as he opened his mouth to speak, a gasp emitted from it in place of words and the other eye shot open. The dirty blonde of Jounouchi's hair blended almost perfectly against the dun hues of the winter sky above him. His face was acutely composed along with the carefree strands of his thick hair that fell every which way, only amplifying the compassionate look of concern within his deep mahogany eyes.

For a second, Yugi thought that his heart stopped beating. And it had. The gift that was the sight of Jounouchi's form placed against the crystal gray settings of the open autumn sky just shocked Yugi so much that...he just lost all sense of feeling for at least a good five seconds. Who knew Jounouchi had such breath-taking looks?!?

Feeling guilty for not answering his friend's call and for admiring Jou's hidden beauty, a sheepish blush crept its way across Yugi's rosy cheeks, as he parted his lips to speak

"I--I'm sorry, Jounouchi." he replied nervously biting his lip.

For a second, Jounouchi said nothing. With a now serious expression, he continued to stare at Yugi.

Curious, yet the faintest bit intimidated, Yugi swallowed and proceeded to answer his friend correctly. But before, he could even utter a syllable, Jounouchi's protective arms encircled Yugi in a firm embrace. With a nervous hand stroking the hair on the back of Yugi's head, Jou whispered, " I'm sorry, Yugi. Did I hurt you?"

Yugi, for a moment said nothing, as the attention he was receiving caused the hairs on the back of his neck to stand up. To quickly cover it up, Yugi casually shook his head no. "No, I'm…I'm fine Jounouchi…"

"Hey!!" Ryou shouted. His breath came out in short airy puffs as he jogged over to them. "Are you two all right?"

Embarrassed at their situation, Jou and Yugi blushed and separated from one another. AS Jou got up, Yugi quickly examined the Millennium Puzzle to make sure it didn't get disassembled from Jou's weight.

"Yeah, we're fine, Ryou." Jounouchi answered, dusting off his pants, and whisking a few stray strands from out his face.

Obviously annoyed, Ryou placed his hands on his hips and scolded Jounouchi. "Just what were you thinking lunging out to protect Yugi like that!?"

"Uh…"

"This is a game of dodge ball! People are SUPPOSED to get hit!"

Case and point.

With a playfully heavy sigh, Jounouchi stuffed his hands in his pockets and shrugged. "You got me there."

"Yes. One point for Ryou and none for you, Jouno."

Surprised, but not alarmed by the new presence, Ryou and Jounouchi stopped their one-sided bickering and casually turned to the voice.

There, amongst the surroundings of red and orange leaves, stood Yami. Dressed in a black leather overcoat with pants and boots to match, Yami smugly chuckled while leaning up against a wall of the school. Taking a nonchalant step towards them, he casually whisked his golden bangs from out his face. "Hello you two." he said, his words as cool and crisp as the afternoon air. "Having a 'friendly' game of dodge ball?"

This comment, meant to be rhetorical, caught Jounouchi on the offensive, but he considerably calmed down, knowing that Yami didn't mean any harm by it. He knew that Yami was just looking out for Yugi, as Jounouchi was doing himself. But sometimes, Jouno didn't approve of the way Yami allowed Yugi to be treated. The same could be said from Yami's point of view towards Jounouchi. Needless to say, the two have become quite close to Yugi and both go at silent wars with each other to prove that one of them would be the better for Yugi.

With a "hmph", Jounouchi made an interesting expression at Yami, then called for Yugi. Yugi looked to his friend with his eyes wide of curiosity and a welcoming smile dressed across his light pink lips. "Hm?" he answered, stepping over to Jou.

Jounouchi smirked and bluntly tossed his gaze towards Yami who had a deadpan expression. Yami knew Jou was up to this "little game" of his of who was the better person for Yugi to look up to, and didn't say a word, nor did he let his face let on any emotion. With a natural blink, the pharaoh turned and proceeded to go back to the Turtle Game Shop. "Come. It's rather chilly out here. Let us return to the game shop and have some hot coco." offered Yami in a deep, suave tone, mainly directing towards Yugi.

At Jounouchi's side, Yugi nodded and motioned for the others to come along. As much as Jou would have loved to stick around and be with Yugi, being under the same roof with Yami would render him nearly impossible to avoid an entanglement of some sorts. Nevertheless, if he backed out now, he knew Yami would have the upper hand and the satisfaction. So, reluctantly, he agreed.

"Sure thing. Besides, dodge ball isn't all what it's cracked up ta be. Next time, I say we BLITZ!!"

Yes…and happy blitzing to you too, Joey…..if you're able to hold your breath for at least an hour underwater!! Not to mention getting knocked around and using a lot of energy too!!

Anywayz, I'm back!! And with a new story to boot. I'll finish the others, of course, I have to!

And let there be an uncut version of Yu Gi Oh!! Yeah!!

…okay…I'm going to leave now..

Hasta luego, mis amigos!

-Mel