Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of the Cards ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Heart of the Cards: Chapter 4
 
 
 
Mana sat silently meditating in the gardens outside of the palace. It was her intention to gain the ability to call forth her Ka. If she could surprise Mahaado with such a newfound ability surely he would express some pride in having her as a student.
 
She wasn't going to let the incident after breakfast upset her too greatly. She and the pharaoh were enjoying a simple meal until high priest Set intruded. Naturally he found a way to insult her skills, or the lack thereof.
 
The pharaoh had defended her, but she feared that may have merely been done out of a sense of loyalty for their longstanding friendship. Set did have a point. If she was to be the apprentice of the great magician Mahaado then she would need to be better in order to serve his teaching abilities justice.
 
She felt a presence approach her and disturb her solitude. Mana knew without looking who the presence was because as always she felt a sense of inner peace radiating from the priestess. “I see you have been working diligently since this morning,” Isis commented as she sat beside the young woman.
 
“No rest for the weary,” Mana commented dryly trying to keep the frustration out of her tone. It had been nearly six hours and still she failed to summon her Ka. She was desperate to know what spirit represented her. Perhaps it was a dragon of some sort or maybe a flying horse. She was certain it would be something spectacular. No disrespect meant for the pharaoh, but his Koriba hair balls were not very impressive.
 
“Maybe you should take a break,” Isis recommended. “You really shouldn't over-tax yourself. Not everyone can summon their spiritual guardian so soon and you are young yet.”
 
Mana cracked open an eye and turned to face her companion. “How old were you when you first summoned your Ka?”
 
Isis' lips pursed in a tight line at the question. “I was about your age,” she admitted. “That doesn't mean that you will be able to summon your spirit guardian,” she hurriedly added.
 
Both of Mana's emerald eyes opened wide at that response and she faced the priestess fully. “Are you saying the apprentice of the great Mahaado does not possess the talent you did at this same age?”
 
Isis stood and brushed off the back of her long white skirt. “You know that is not what I intended to express.”
 
“Thanks, you've been ever so helpful,” Mana told her with a bright smile, keeping her sarcasm well hidden behind false cheer. This woman would never understand her plight. It was imperative that she summon her Ka soon. Not only was it to make Mahaado proud, but she also had an intuitive feeling that something bad was approaching. She would need to be prepared to protect her king and childhood friend.
 
Isis felt guilty for her harsh words, but she was concerned for the young woman. She genuinely liked her but thought she was trying too hard. It wasn't that she didn't have faith in her skills; she just didn't hold any ideas that she would be a magical prodigy like her teacher.
 
With one last look towards the silent magician in training she took her leave. She would say a prayer for Mana once she reached her temples.
 
Mana felt Isis leave and sighed heavily. Perhaps she overreacted, but the older woman didn't seem to understand how important it was for her to attain her full potential as soon as possible.
 
oooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOooooo
 
 
Atem pulled his white horse to a halt, sending dirt flying in his wake. Priest Set, his cousin, pulled up beside him with an annoyed expression crossing his normally bland features. “Does something bother you my pharaoh?” He asked more out of duty than concern.
 
Atem shook his head, sending his multicolored spiky hair flying. He gazed into the distant sand dunes and frowned. “Nothing is wrong, I just, I'm not sure actually.” He admitted turning his violet gaze to his cousin's stony blue eyes.
 
“One does not stop their horse at such a violent speed without cause,” Set retorted in annoyance. He ran his hand soothing down his dark horse's neck to calm his nerves. He didn't need his horse to become skittish due to the pharaoh's recklessness. “Perhaps you should spend less time with the apprentice magician.”
 
“I don't appreciate your negative comments about Mana,” the pharaoh answered coldly. He took a firm hold of his horse's reigns and sent him to an easy trot once more.
 
Set ground his teeth but didn't comment otherwise. He would serve his pharaoh even though he knew he would have made a better leader. A simple twist of fate had put his cousin in that position of leadership instead of himself. He followed after his cousin and tried to clear those thoughts from his head. His father was the one that was constantly telling him it was his rightful place to be ruler.
 
Atem and Set's fathers were twin brothers. Atem's father died a few years ago and the crown was passed to the son instead of the twin brother. Set was aware that there were feelings of resentment within his father. He could hardly blame the man. But he knew his father was a great priest and the creator of the millennium items.
 
Pharaoh Atem continued to ride his beloved horse into the desert sands. He and Set were to visit one of the nearby villages on the outskirts of the main city. It was only to be an afternoon ordeal but an important public relations move.
 
He was still bothered that Mahaado had left so abruptly that morning. He knew there was some sort of threat but he was being kept in the dark, most likely by the man riding beside him on his little venture that afternoon.
 
“Why was Priest Mahaado sent out this morning?” Atem asked his silent companion.
 
“His mission was not complete,” Set answered.
 
The pharaoh turned to look at him, cocking his head to one side. “And what exactly was the mission? All I know is it was related to national security.”
 
“That's all you need to know,” Set replied. He wished to reach the village soon. He had a feeling that his recent dreams of Kisara were related to his current destination.
 
 
oooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOooooo
 
The sun was setting and dusk was settling over the Egyptian desert sands. Mahaado took a deep breath to relax and prepare himself mentally for the imminent assault.
 
The millennium ring around his neck was vibrating with negative energy and he was certain that the thief he would soon battle against was linked intimately to the evil that created the millennium items.
 
It didn't take long before he had company. He could hear the various traps he set up within the former king's tomb being set off. The thief was talented to have not fallen victim.
 
Patiently, Mahaado waited. He had the other royal guards waiting outside and so it was obvious that the thief passed their defenses. An amused smile crossed Mahaado's lips. Perhaps he would experience a challenging opponent after all.
 
It had been a long time since he used his magic freely. It would be nice to unleash his full powers against a worthy adversary. He could feel the presence of the intruder in the main atrium of the tomb. “I would say welcome, but we both know you weren't invited,” Mahaado entreated.
 
“Funny, I thought you went through all this trouble on my behalf,” Bakura answered as he stepped out of the shadows. His white hair reflected the firelight from the torches aligning the walls of the tomb. He pointed towards the millennium ring around Mahaado's neck. “I believe that belongs to my people.”
 
Mahaado's eyes narrowed dangerously. “I hardly find you capable of containing the evil within this cursed necklace.”
 
“It was created for evil, not out of evil,” Bakura argued. He stared with heated vision at the golden device that represented all the lost souls of his village. “Besides, I've been watching you. You are the pharaoh's puppet and do not even perform anything but basic parlor magic tricks.”
 
Mahaado grinned menacingly. “Don't worry, here I do not have to worry about the ring taking me over and I can unleash my full powers.”
 
“You'll need them,” Bakura answered softly as he said the words needed to unleash his Ka. Diabound was released. “Diabound, attack!”
 
“Illusive Magician, dark magic attack!”
 
oooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOooooo
 
Mana's mental facilities were taxed as she walked down the oddly silent palace halls. She found herself making her way towards Isis' rooms. It really wasn't fair for her to be the one to apologize for having her abilities insulted, but she realized that Isis was only trying to be honest with her.
 
After fruitless hours of trying to call forth her Ka she found the truth of the priestess' words echoing hollowly in her ears. She raised her fist, ready to knock loudly on the door when she heard the crash. Worried, she pushed open the door and hurried to Isis's side. “What is it?”
 
Isis looked at the necklace that was now on her tiled floor. She was holding it when she had the vision. She met Mana's concerned emerald gaze. “Mahaado….he's…..”
 
“What? What's wrong with my teacher?” Mana demanded as she grabbed the priestess' shoulders and gave her a firm shake.
 
“He's dying.” Tears welled up in Isis' eyes.
 
Mana released her hold on the other woman and backed up from her shaking her head in disbelief. “You're wrong,” she told her softly as she turned and ran out of the room. She ran quickly for the palace exit, little on her mind but the idea of getting to Mahaado's side.
 
The fact that she was on foot and had no idea where he was did little to deter her determination. It was only by the will of Ra that she should happen to run headlong into the flank of the pharaoh's white horse and land flat on her rump.
 
“Mana?” Atem asked concerned to see his dear friend so disheveled. “Are you crying?” He slid off his horse to help her stand. She merely blinked at him at a loss for words. “You are crying,” he decided drawing her close for a heartwarming hug. He then pushed her away, holding her at arm's length after she failed to respond and shook her. “Tell me,” he ordered.
 
“Isis sees Mahaado's death,” Mana managed. She shrugged out of the pharaoh's hands. “Where is he? I must go to him.”
 
Atem jumped onto the back of his horse and extended his hand towards her. “Ride with me, we will go to him.”
 
Mana climbed behind the pharaoh and wrapped her arms tightly around his waist. “Do you know where he is?”
 
“Yes,” Atem answered, grateful that Set had finally revealed that tidbit before abandoning him to deal with a small dispute involving a slave woman in the village.
 
Mana placed her chin upon Atem's shoulder and hugged her body close to his. “Isis is wrong my prince, she has to be.”
 
The pharaoh didn't reply. It took a great deal to rattle the spirit of the woman riding behind him. He didn't know Isis to be wrong often, but he could only pray that this was one of those times.
 
Ra was not kind to the pharaoh and the magician's apprentice. Too soon they reached the destination of the former king's tomb. The guards were standing sadly around a large stone tablet in front of the tomb's entrance.
 
“What is the meaning of this?” Atem demanded as he halted his horse by the men. Mana slid off from behind him and walked zombie-like towards the giant stone tablet.
 
Before the men could answer Atem had the answer he didn't want. Mana's crying became audible as she fell to her knees before the stone tablet with the engraved image of her teacher and mentor. “Teacher!” Her fingers reached out to trace the lines that represented him.
 
Atem kneeled beside her and placed an arm around her waist as he tucked her against his side. Together they grieved as the full impact of what occurred struck them both. Atem read the words at the bottom of the tablet. “My faithful servant,” he whispered as tears slid down his cheeks as well.