Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Honda, Bakura, and the Three Trolls ❯ Part 2 of 3 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Honda, Bakura, and the Three Trolls (part 2 of 3 or 4)

Author: Tsutsuji

Fandom: Yugioh!

Rating: PG

Pairings: not really any, but sort of Bakura/Ryou and kind of Honda/Ryou

Original characters: no

Type: adventure, just a hint of shonen-ai

Warnings: mild language and violence

Status: Work In Progress

Spoilers: none

Disclaimer: I do not own the copyright to these characters and I'm making no profit from this fic and intend no copyright infringement.

Summary: Ryou's two protectors get into it with three troll-like bullies.

Archive: whatever

Notes: Takes place after Duelist Kingdom, before Battle City. Sort of a cross between anime canon and manga canon - Bakura played Monster World as in the manga, but also the "Favorite Card Shadow Duel" on Duelist Kingdom. Honda thinks he got rid of the Ring and Yami Bakura at Duelist Kingdom.

On the Names: Ryou Bakura, the host, is called "Bakura" in this story, while Yami Bakura is mostly referred to as The Spirit, because at this point, that's what Bakura and Honda would call him. The Spirit sometimes calls Bakura "Yadonushi" which means host or landlord.

***
Chapter 2

"Hey, fag!"

Honda heard one of the usual school bullies calling some kid the name, and it made him want to turn right around and punch the guys lights out. Especially since he knew it could easily be Bakura they were talking to. He spun around, but there was no one else visible on the path behind the schoolyard, the one that ran between the vine-covered chain link fence and a half-dead evergreen hedge to an alley. His usual shortcut, but also frequented by other kids who had reason to go to the grimy streets beyond the alley. Not a likely place for Bakura or anyone of his sort.

So who the heck was the tough guy talking to, and where was he hiding anyway?

Honda heard the bushes rustle behind him and spun around again.

"Kombo, you dickhead," he said, hiding his startled reaction to seeing the thick-bodied student lunge out of the shrubbery just a few feet away, right where he'd been about to pass.

"Honda," Kombo said in a nasty singsong voice, doing a parody of a mincing step. "Hey, it's Honda the fag boy!"

There was a muffled laugh and movement behind him, back the way he'd come. Hamaguri, another lumpy-looking kid with grayish, pasty skin, slithered out of the bushes. And up the path behind him came Kugi, with his black leather jacket over his school shirt, and a short length of chain swinging in his hand.

It finally sunk in to Honda's brain that this was no coincidence.

"Kombo, you had to bring your friends along, huh? Couldn't handle me on your own so you called in your little buddies." Honda dropped his book bag and quickly shrugged out of his uniform jacket. "Well, this'll be fun." He grinned, flexed his fists, and glared challengingly at each of them in turn.

"Think you're tough, fagboy, now that you've got yourself a girly-friend to protect," Hamaguri said, with a gurgling laugh.

Honda kept his fierce grin in place while he tried to figure out what the hell the punk was talking about. He didn't have a girlfriend... not yet, anyway. Who the hell started that rumor? And what did these guys care if he did? He was pretty sure none of them had a girl that they'd think he was trying to steal, but maybe he'd missed something.

"You're about to find out what we do with girly-boys like you. And your pretty boy lover is next, because when we're done here, you're not gonna be much good to him or anyone."

Loud alarms went off in Honda's head. Shit, he thought as a hot wave of fury ran through him. They're talking about Bakura! The fact that they thought he was Bakura's lover didn't even phase him... well, not much. The idea of any one of them laying a hand on his friend made him tense with rage. It also made him wish Jonouchi was here to back him up, because the damn idiots had him surrounded, and he suddenly remembered hearing about how well this little gang of three fought as a team.

Kugi was whirling that chain around in the air, making it flashed like chopper blades. Kombo didn't need a weapon, he was slow but heavy and strong once he got moving, unless he was taken off guard like the last time Honda met him. Hamaguri, he'd heard, was stronger than he looked as well, and although he wasn't above using a blade, he preferred to get his strong, clammy hands around you and listen to your bones snap.

Honda really wished Jou was here.

But there was no way he was going to let them get past him so that Bakura was unprotected. He knew a trouble-magnet when he saw one, and Bakura was definitely a trouble-magnet, just like Yugi had been before Jou had befriended him. Neither of them was tough like he and Jou were, couldn't be if they tried. And they had tried, standing up for their friends against bigger and more dangerous foes, as Yugi had tried to when he and Jou got beaten up by that sadistic brute of a hall monitor, and as Bakura had tried to do against the evil spirit that possessed him. But there was no reason they should have to be tough. That's what guys like him were for, Honda thought grimly, as the three thugs closed in.

Still, it was a well-oiled team of three against one, and he didn't like his odds. This was not going to be pretty.

---

Ryou Bakura couldn't believe he was doing this.

All week he'd been all too aware of the thug, Kombo, watching him from a safe distance, and whispering with his two ugly brute friends in corners. They weren't exactly subtle about it, after all, making sure he knew that they were keeping an eye on his every move. Waiting, no doubt, for a time when they could all corner him alone. He made sure that never happened, and hoped that they'd get tired of waiting for their chance and find something else to do.

He was nervous enough for his own safety, but he was actually much more worried about what would happen to them if they tried anything. Even brutish thugs didn't deserve to end up in mysterious comas.

It helped that Honda now went out of his way to hang around Bakura, chatting with him casually on the way to class, sitting with him or nearby at lunch, and generally just being a very visible presence. When Honda was around, the other three were nowhere to be seen. And that was also nice because he discovered something surprising: Honda liked to read, and had read many of the same adventure stories that Bakura liked. Jonouchi made a show of acting like he didn't know them when they started talking about magic and wizards and quests to save the world. Honda called him an illiterate idiot and punched him in the arm. Bakura felt distressed as they traded insults, but Jou didn't take offense. He just went off to do something else (studying, so he claimed) and left them to it.

In the last two days Bakura thought Kombo and his friends had finally grown bored enough to leave him alone. But then today he realized that this was not exactly the case after all. He came around the corner of the schoolyard, and found them huddled together just as they had been before, but now they weren't watching him. They were watching Honda.

He'd stepped back to the corner and waited. Honda, across the way, was talking with Jou, no doubt making plans for the weekend ahead. They high-fived, then walked away in separate directions, Honda heading for the shortcut that Bakura and most other kids routinely avoided. And a moment later, the other three grinned at each other and left as well, heading in the same direction. One of them split off and headed down the other side of the fenced yard at a trot.

Bakura's concern reached the Spirit.

/That one's gone to jump the fence and cut him off. Looks like they've decided to put your friendly little protector out of the way, Bakura-kun,/ he observed.

"Damn," Bakura swore under his breath.

The Spirit laughed. /My my, such worry over poor Honda! Let him deal with them, Yadonushi. He might prevail. He's not a bad fighter, from what we've heard. And if they come after you, well, then, I'll be here to take care of that!/

/I'd rather you didn't,/ Bakura thought. He hesitated for a moment as the three went out of sight. Then, to the Spirit's surprise, he followed them.

/Just what do you plan to do, Yadonushi?/ he thought with amusement. /Frighten them away with your screams, like the skeletons in Pegasus' cave? Or have you been reading too much fantasy? Here you go, like brave little Bilbo into the lair of the goblins!/

/Shut up! Please./

The Spirit laughed. But he didn't exert his control to turn them around.

He knew the path well enough. It was a shortcut to his apartment, but he never took it because it led through a tough neighborhood. He'd found that out in his very first week at Domino High School. As far as he knew, the tall, leather-clad girl with the bloodshot eyes and the gleaming knife in her shaking fist was still in a coma in the charity ward. As much for the protection of the gang members, addicts and street people in that part of town as for his own safety, he'd never gone that way again, until today.

Bakura was no hobbit, but he had a natural talent for being silent, just like he sometimes managed to be socially invisible when he wanted to. The path bent around the corner of the fenced yard, and around that bend he heard stealthy movements: a rustle in the bushes, and the slight rattle as Hamaguri climbed the fence from the other side. Just as he came to the corner he heard voices. He stopped. He couldn't make out exactly what they were saying but he knew it couldn't be a friendly chat.

Heart pounding, he peeked around the corner, just in time to see Kombo swing the first blow at Honda's head. Honda ducked it easily and danced aside, but Hamaguri was right there on the other side. Honda had to jump back against the hedge to stay out of his reach. Kugi was right behind him, swinging a glittering piece of chain in the air and grinning wildly.

Honda went into a fighting stance, crouching, hands ready, eyes darting from one to the other. He was still smiling as if the whole thing was just what he'd been wanting for a little fun. But they moved in slowly, casually, as if they knew they had all the time in the world to take him down. And although Bakura didn't know much about fighting, he thought it looked like they were more likely to be right. It didn't help any that the Spirit thought so too.

Still, Honda moved fast and got in a kick and a couple of jabs, fairly dancing between them so that their swinging fists met only air. But then one of them aimed a kick at his knee just as Honda dodged another blow, and Honda stumbled into the third one who almost managed to grab him around the neck. Bakura gasped.

/Quiet, you idiot!/ his other self warned.

But it was soon clear they hadn't heard him, as the fight went on without pause. Honda cut loose from the one kid only to run up against another, and although he connected a few more times, he couldn't evade all of their punches. In moments he was pinned between Hamaguri and Kombo, who held his arms in vice-like grips. They tossed him back against the fence, yanking him right up off the ground so his feet were as useless as his fists. Kugi wiped a streak of blood from his mouth and spat, but then he straightened up and grinned. He stood directly in front of Honda, his chain whirling brightly in the air. He looked as happy as a kid at a carnival.

Bakura darted out from his hiding place around the corner. He'd taken two steps when he jerked to a stop, but not by his own decision.

/What are you doing, idiot!/ the spirit shouted in his brain, clamping his leg muscles to keep him from taking another step.

"Let go!" Bakura yelled. He meant the Spirit, but as the three thugs turned to him in surprise, he glared at them as well. "Let him go," he yelled at them, rather as an afterthought.

/Now you've done it,/ the spirit thought. /Do you want to get killed?/

"Bakura? Get out of here, now!" Honda shouted. "Go on..." his warning was cut off as Kugi's fist slammed into his gut.

Bakura broke through the Spirit's hold over his body and ran forward to his friend's aid, with no idea what he could do besides join him in getting beaten to a pulp.

---
to be continued....