Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ In the Master's House ❯ The Bishop - Mind Beside the Throne ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: This chapter may be confusing. Well, that's only if I did it right… Make your own conclusions, and be pleased with yourself if they still make sense at the end. If not, start over and try again. ^_^

Chapter 5: The Bishop - Mind Beside the Throne

Tea was sitting in the grass, staring at her legs. Dancer's legs, Joey had called them once. At the time, she thought he'd either been humoring her and her hopes of becoming a professional dancer, or merely providing an excuse to ogle them longer than he usually did. She was now pretty sure it was a combination of the two, but that was Joey for you. Supportive, and, like just about every other teenage boy she knew, consistently, constantly aroused. He was comfortingly predictable that way, though.

Yugi was not.

Oh, he had been once, before Yami had figured into the simple equation that was Yugi. But Tea couldn't even remember those times now, and she doubted Joey and Tristan could, either. Yami was so larger-than-life, it was hard to look past or beyond him. Maybe that was what drew her to him. Maybe it was because he and Yugi looked so much alike. But if that were the case, why wasn't she drawn to Yugi that way, as well?

They had two totally different auras.

Yugi's was warm, friendly, affectionate, and beautiful.

Yami's was cool, strong, determined, and had a kind of regal splendor.

When she tried, Tea could almost always tell who was "in control" when she looked at them. The eyes were always a dead giveaway, as were the voices and body language. But then, she supposed it WAS a bit crucial to know the difference between her best friend and someone she claimed to be in love with.

And it wasn't even that she didn't love Yugi. If she could, she would've adopted him just so she could take him home; he was so cute and adorable all at once. But it was decidedly different from the way Yami made her feel when he looked at her.

Yugi's eyes suggested, very subtly, that she was, in every sense of the word, a superstar.

But Yami's TOLD her she was.

Suddenly, she sensed someone watching her and glanced up the hill. Her eyes landed on a familiar figure, and she sucked in a gasp; he'd startled her so. Forcing herself to calm down, she closed her eyes and reached out, trying to decide if it was Yami or Yugi up there.

Oddly enough, she got a rather pleasing, if not confusing, blend of Yami's confidence and Yugi's affection. That had never happened before. She would have to rely on her eyes. Tea opened them, and found her visitor less than a few feet away now.

"Hello, Tea," he said softly, with Yugi's tenderness, but with Yami's burning intensity in his eyes.

"Hi," she replied, too afraid to say a name and be wrong. "Want to sit down?" She figured if push came to shove, she could always sniff him out. But Yugi would probably be a little bashful and keep distance between them, while Yami would sit wherever he pleased, and probably a lot closer…

He did not answer, but sat down right next to her. "I wanted to apologize for last night."

"You don't have to," she said at once. It occurred to her that if he was Yugi, he meant asking her to leave. But if he was Yami, then maybe he was apologizing for breaking the kiss, or hurting her feelings, or…oh God…maybe the kiss itself… She suddenly felt sick inside. PleasepleasePLEASE don't let him mean that. She had to be sure. "Apologize for what, exactly?"

He smiled. "If I upset you," he replied just as vaguely as she didn't need him to be just then.

Tea almost scowled at him. "You didn't."

"I'm glad."

If he was Yugi, he'd suddenly grown three backbones. If he was Yami, he was trying to fool her into thinking he was a confident Yugi, and doing a good job of it. Either way, Tea had a feeling both of them would've been laughing at her. An idea wormed its way into her head, and she almost smiled. With deliberate slowness, she reached over and gently took the Millennium Puzzle in her hand.

He did not really have any reaction at all, which sort of threw her. "You know," he said after a moment, "when I first met you, I thought it'd give this to you."

"Really?" she asked, clearly surprised. "Why?"

"I wasn't sure you'd like me otherwise."

Tea could almost feel her heart breaking. "Oh, Yugi, I would never…" She trailed off, realizing she'd probably just made a huge mistake.

But it was almost as if he hadn't heard her. "And then I realized that I'd be giving away a big piece of myself. Maybe too big a piece for any one person to have."

Confusion found its way to Tea's face.

"So I decided to keep it, partially on Grandpa's advice. I guess I saw it as a good luck charm, and maybe it was." He smiled up at her. "We still turned out okay because of it, didn't we?"

Tea stared at Yugi's smile and into Yami's eyes, wondering if they'd planned this together. "Yes," she said firmly, reaching down to squeeze his hand. Then she thought of another test…one she was almost certain would reveal his true identity. "Um…I wanted to ask you…"

"Yes?"

"Do you…love me?"

He was not smiling as he stared up at her, nor was he frowning. His face had gone perfectly blank. "If I said yes," he whispered, "I would either break your heart or delight it. If I said no, I would either break your heart or confuse it. So I can't answer that question, Tea." He paused, possibly for effect. "You, your friendship, and your heart are all too precious to me."

To her credit, he was caught off guard when she bowled him over in an enthusiastic hug.

Still, he smiled and closed his eyes as she held him tightly, knowing he'd made the right choice.

* * * * *

The door creaked open, and she raised her head.

Again, her visitor stood in the doorway. She recognized his shadow, though.

"Are you back already, little one? Surely you're not beginning to like it here?"

"I came here for you," he said simply.

"I suppose I appreciate your concern, then. But I cannot allow you to continue to come here. It is not good for a boy."

"Nor a girl," he said quietly. "And yet, that's what you were when you were put here."

She shrugged. "I suppose if I had been older, more proud, I would not have gone so easily."

"No," he agreed, "you wouldn't have."

There was something odd about him today, she decided. Something not quite right.

He sat down beside her and gently took her hands in his own. "Tell me about yourself."

She stared at him. "No one has ever requested such a thing of me."

"I am. Please."

Slowly, as if she were having trouble recalling it all, she told him all that she knew. She told him of how her brother had trained her in the dark arts, so that she could protect herself…and how she'd excelled at them, so much that even he began to fear her progress. But love hid his fear beneath how proud he was of her, and they continued to learn together.

She told him of the first and only gifts her brother had ever given her: her magician's hat, staff, and her name. It was a special thing, to have someone important name you, and who was more important to her than he? She did not, however, reveal her name just then, nor did the boy ask it.

When she was done, he laid his hands on her shackles, and they instantly fell away.

Her eyes widened in fear, and she jumped back in alarm, ready to cry out her for her brother.

"Don't be afraid of me," he said, coming closer. "You need never be afraid of me again."

"But…you are…the Master…?" she asked hesitantly.

He did not answer. "You are free. Free of this prison…but only if…"

She stared at him, waiting. He seemed to be thinking.

"Only if you agree to become my advisor."

She blinked. That was not what she'd expected. "Why?"

"You have proven to me that your wisdom is invaluable, and I have need of it. There are many things I do not know, and many things I would like to."

There was something still bothering her. "And…my brother?"

"He'll have to be your attendant…unless, of course, you prefer he remain here?"

She shook her head.

"Then you agree to my terms?"

She nodded. "Yes."

He gazed at her for long moment. Finally, he raised his voice. "Jagen?"

Dark Magician instantly appeared at the door and unlocked it.

"Come and get your sister. Have her cleaned up, and return her magical items to her. I'll expect to see you both before the throne in the morning."

Dark Magician nodded slightly. "It shall be as you command."

She was still in a state of disbelief, even when she felt her visitor's hand on her cheek.

"There are some mistakes I cannot correct, and for those, I will hope you can look within and forgive me. But there are some I can correct, and for those, I will expect you to advise me. And until I have grown accustomed to your presence and your wisdom, at present, I can only appreciate your haunting beauty…" His hand fell away, and with that, he was gone.

She probably would've stayed there, if her brother hadn't nodded to confirm it was real. Slowly she walked to the door, then stepped out of the cell.

He closed it, almost triumphantly, behind her.

She stopped to stare at her wrists, still bearing the marks of her imprisonment. Tears welled up in her eyes.

Suddenly, cool hands were on hers, and the marks were gone. She looked into her brother's eyes, and found his face unreadable.

"Come, my sister," he said at last, placing a hand lightly on her back.

She felt reassured with the simple weight of it, and allowed him to guide her forward. "Jagen?" she asked.

"Yes, my sister?"

"I need to know…was that the Regent…or the Master?"

He paused and looked at her, puzzled. "Actually," he admitted with a thin smile, "I was going to ask you, dear sister. Although, I have my suspicions. A most perplexing matter, to be certain."

She nodded slightly, and realized she was shivering.

"Are you cold?"

She nodded again and reached out, half-expecting him to give her his robes. Instead, she suddenly found herself in his arms, his chin resting on her head, as it had so many times before.

"I have…missed you, Kali," he murmured softly into her golden hair.

The tears finally fell, and she sobbed uncontrollably into his chest, her fists clutching at his back, afraid to lose him again, even for a second. Her legs eventually gave out, unaccustomed to standing as they were, but he merely scooped her up in his arms.

"Shhh." He hushed her, dropping a tender kiss on her forehead while she quieted. "Be strong, Kali. I have taught you better than this."

She nodded silently, pressing her face into his neck. "I remember. But…" She trailed off, gently turning his face to hers. "…I love you, Jagen."

He did not smile. "And I, you, my sister. We must go."

She did not protest. "I should walk, then."

"And you shall." He set her down, glancing only once to make sure the marks on her legs were gone before he released her.

She found herself smiling at that, but turned quickly so he would not see it. "Thank you for releasing me, my brother."

"Thank you for surviving long enough so that I could, my sister," he replied.

* * * * *

Yugi frowned as he stared into the portal. "I don't know. It still seems like you gave her an ultimatum…"

"Nevertheless, she is free, and quite pleased, from all indications." Yami quickly changed the subject. "How did it go with Tea?"

Yugi smiled. "Better than I expected, really. I did feel a little guilty, tricking her like that. But I think it was for the best. We should do this more often."

"I wholly agree." He stared into the portal. "We haven't solved anything yet, you know."

"Oh, I disagree, Yami. We've already taken the first step, and more importantly, we did it together."

"Perhaps. But…Tea and I…we…"

"I know." Yugi paused. "I promise not to come between you."

Yami gaped at him. "Yugi…"

"I mean it. Besides," he added, blushing, "I think…there's someone else out there for me. Tea's my friend, and I do love her, but…it's obvious now that's just how she sees me. I can't keep fooling myself into thinking she'll change her mind."

"Very well. But you could at least warn me if you're planning to carry off my new advisor."

"Well, that's only if she lets me…assuming I can get past her brother first."

Yami smiled. "Not to worry, Yugi. It just so happens that I have something of a plan…"

* * * * *

"And you don't know why Yugi challenged you today?" Mokuba asked.

Seto Kaiba shook his head. "I can only assume that he wanted to avenge his loss to me the last time we dueled. But he did mention something about a demonstration for a beginning duelist on the phone."

Mokuba looked out the window. "Well, it'll be a great battle, and-hey, there they are!"

Kaiba walked over to the window-and froze. He recognized Yugi, Tea, and Joey right away. But walking slightly behind Joey, occasionally being tugged along by his hand, was a vision of loveliness. And if Kaiba hadn't been who he was, he might've drooled.

"Who is THAT?" Mokuba breathed.

"I…don't know," Kaiba admitted slowly, trying to regain his composure. "Unless…she's Yugi's pupil."

"That's no pupil," Mokuba said. "That's a distraction!"

"Indeed," Kaiba heard himself murmur, before shaking his head. "Come, Mokuba. It's time to duel."

* * * * *

"You mean someone actually LIVES in this huge place?" Serenity asked in awe.

"Afraid so," Joey muttered as Kaiba & Mokuba entered the room.

Yugi smiled. "Serenity, I'd like you to meet the Brothers Kaiba."

"Hi!" Mokuba chirped, waving.

Kaiba was only vaguely aware of anyone else; from the moment he stepped in, his focus was on Yugi. He couldn't allow himself to be distracted by anything-or anyone-else. "Prepare yourself, Yugi!"

"Yugi" smiled, shared a wink with Tea, and touched the Millennium Puzzle. "I was reborn ready, Kaiba…"

* * * * *

The battle was going well, so far. At least, it seemed that way.

But she was all too aware of how different power and the appearance of it were. Especially when it came to this "Kaiba" person the Master seemed to be obsessed with dueling. She had last known him under another name, and he was no less dangerous now. They were so alike, he and the Master.

"My sister."

She turned to find her brother, ready for battle.

"I have been summoned."

She nodded. "Return to me victorious, my brother."

"There is no other way." He vanished.

She watched him take the field, and almost smiled.

"I can see you two are very close."

She looked up in surprise. "Little one?"

Yugi ventured closer. "I thought I'd come and see how you were doing, since I'll be here for a while…"

"As you can see, I have been restored."

"Yes. You look…" He searched for the right word. "Enchanting."

She smiled. "You are very brave to speak to me this way."

"Not brave. Just honest." He took a deep breath. "Your brother…has always been my preferred duelist."

"He is very powerful."

"Yes, but I was hoping…I could come to depend on you in a similar way."

"I'm…not sure I understand."

He smiled. "That's okay. Let's just watch the battle together."

She agreed, somehow sensing that this was very important to him, but unaware that she was what made it such.

Yugi forced himself not to blush as her hand, almost instinctively, slipped into his. "One step at a time," he reminded himself. "One step at a time…"