Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Intertwined Fates ❯ The Girl in the Desert ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Honestly, who here does? If I did then it wouldn't be a fanfiction. It would be real, now wouldn't it? Doesn't that suck for us all? Trust me, I don't think I could own it. If I did Weevil and Pegasus would both have been tortured by the third episode.

Intertwined Fates (set in ancient Egypt)

-Chapter 1

The redheaded adolescent walked steadily on through the desert, even though her muscles screamed with every step and her throat was as dry as the desert around her. Her torn clothing showed bruises on her arms, shoulders and chest, and her tightly braided hair thumped against her back. But still, her beauty would make a man think twice about the wife at his arm, and although she was bruised, the girl still held her jaw in grim determination; still held her head high. The beaten outcast still had her pride intact.

She didn't think about where she came from or what she left behind. All she told herself was that she had nothing there. She had left nothing behind. She didn't think about who had banished her, or why he had. She only let herself know that she had to better her skills or she would most likely die, either by some executioner or bounty hunter, or by her own hand. She didn't think about anything of her previous life. She was starting over. But she was getting nowhere fast.

Looking into the distance, she stopped, opening her green eyes more. She looked a bit harder, not believing her eyes. She hadn't seen a mirage in the four days she had been walking, but this had to be. She saw plants, a few scraggly weeds. But it was something. Maybe she was near a river or a lake, or an oasis. The girl walked on, touching one of the plants to make sure her eyes weren't deceiving her. The plants were real enough.

As she continued, the plants became more and more abundant, and in the distance the girl saw fields of green, and a river next to them. Could it be? the girl thought. Can I have reached the black land? The girl thought it highly doubtful that she had come so far, but she hadn't paid much attention to where she had been walking. Steadily west, but she could never have come so far…

She came to a huge, rushing river. Before thinking, she went and started drinking, gulping the water down. Then she jumped in, diving down with expertise a normal desert person would never have. It was refreshing, after walking in the dry desert for so long. She let the water run and take her with it, drifting with the flow.

But she knew she would have to leave the temporary bliss at some point. She got out of the water and, drying in the sun, walked south, hoping she knew where she was going. Soon she saw a city; large, and right next to the river like everything else. The river that brought life, like the two rivers where she came from. This river had huge monuments and statues next to it, of gods only known to the girl because of her ears that always seemed to be eavesdropping.

She snuck into the city; sneakiness was second nature to her by now. She avoided being seen by instinct, and was soon at a large palace that seemed to be the biggest and most majestic building in the city. She looked around and saw the guards guarding the gates. Hiding, she watched as a group of girls with paint on their face, bells on their toes, and wearing fine silks walked past the guards as they took no notice.

There is no way I'm getting in that way, the girl thought as she looked at how dirty and different her clothes were. Her skin was a different color and there was no way she would ever paint her face. Instead she snuck around to a side of the wall, where the guards would not see her, and climbed, the lack of foot and hand holds not a problem for her. This was what she was best at. She darted up the wall, dropped around to the other side, and ran to a shadowy corner nearby, quiet and graceful as a cat.

Inside the walls was a beautiful garden, with trees, flowers, and a pond. The girl, unaffected by the beauty of it all, snuck around to a door on the side of the building; a quiet entrance which no one seemed to use. Quickly she made sure no one was watching her, and, satisfied with the outcome, she snuck inside.

But, for nearly the first time, her eyes had deceived her. A young man was sitting on a bench in the garden, hidden partially by a tree. He had seen it all, and on feet quiet as the girl's, he followed her inside.

The girl usually wasn't bothered with how beautiful a place was, but this place was different. The walls were covered in beautiful pictures and carvings, and statues lined the walls. The girl had to stop herself from gawking once or twice, and every time she did she told herself that beauty never lasts.

She slid into the first doorway she found, quickly poking her head in through the doorway and deeming it safe. She walked over to a table, looking at how beautifully it had been made. It was made of finely carved wood, not from around the black land where she was. Where she was from, they also traded for the wonderful-smelling cedar from up north. The table had legs and feet like a lion, and it had only one thing on its shining surface. A ring, small, in the shape of a snake.
The girl picked it up, looking at it as the light from a far-up window reflected off of it, making light dance upon the wall.

"What are you doing?" a rough voice behind her said.

The girl stopped what she was doing and slipped the ring into a hidden pocket in the seam of her shirt. Then she froze.

"Turn around." She did slowly. A guard was standing there, looking at her with either disgust or liking (she didn't know which), with his spear pointed right at her. He came closer to her, his spear pointed at her neck. "What are you doing here? You don't look like any girl I know."

The girl just glared at the guard, locking her jaw.

"You will talk," the guard said, inching the spear closer to her neck. "Where are you from? What are you doing here?"

The girl just locked her jaw and stared at the guard, her eyes unfaltering and cold.

The guard was losing his cool. "What were you doing?" he asked, pushing his appear against the girl's neck, drawing blood, running red down the girl's white skin.

The girl still hadn't made a sound. She had faced harder interrogations than this, and she was not going to let up. Not now, not ever. She just clenched her jaw harder, hurting her neck but not caring. She was waiting for him to come just one step closer, then she could strike…

"Are you done toying with this young woman?" a male voice asked from behind the guard.

Two sets of eyes turned on him, only one recognizing him. "Pharaoh," the guard said, dropping to his knees. The girl stood straight. She did not bow to anyone, and never would. The guard hit her behind the knees, making her wobble for a second, but not making her fall.

"Stop that," the young man said. "Can't you see she has faced enough?" he said, looking at the bruises on her arms and the blood trickling down her neck, soaking into her dirty shirt.

The girl looked at the boy, trying to figure out what was so special about him. She knew the people of the black lands knew of their ruler as a god, and they called him a pharaoh. But this boy didn't look any different from any other boys she had seen. He seemed normal enough.

"For all you know she can't answer you. She might not even speak our language," the boy continued.

The girl shortly laughed at this. "I would not be so ignorant to come here without speaking the language," she said, startling the guard and making the boy's eyebrows shoot up. She knew she had not purposely come here, but they didn't know that.

"So you do speak," the boy said. "I was afraid you were mute."

"Call me what you want, but I am not mute," the girl said, her voice dripping with defiance. "I speak as well as anybody."

"We can see that," the boy said. "You seem to like your rebellious words. And you are rebellious in other ways, it seems." The boy was looking at her, seeing that she was wearing a shirt and pants but was obviously female. "You dress like a man."

"That was bluntly honest," the girl snapped.

"Why, thank you, Neko," the boy said, not in the least bit perturbed.

The girl was confused. Neko? Maybe she was a bit like a cat…but how did he know that? And why wasn't he hurt by her words? "How do you know?" the girl asked coldly.

"I saw you jump over the wall," the boy said.

How could that be? the girl thought. Nobody saw me…or so she thought. This boy must have been hiding.

The boy continued after the girl's silence. "You were very graceful. I don't know how you did it."

"I thought gods were supposed to know everything," the girl retorted.

That hurt the pharaoh. He looked at the guard, who somehow knew what the pharaoh wanted, and got up and left.

The boy pharaoh sighed. "Being ruler of the black lands is not all it is said to be," he said, a tone of sadness in his voice. "Egypt is a big place, with many borders to be protected and the constant threat from the south." He paused, then almost whispered, "being a ruler isn't as easy as it seems."

The girl just didn't feel for him as much as anyone else would. She almost thought herself that she had no feelings left, that they had all been beaten out of her. She felt almost nothing of his sadness. And that small amount she did feel she just locked away, deep inside her, where she bottled all the rest up. The only feeling that had ever escaped from there was rage, and that had gotten nowhere.

But she did owe him a bit of an explanation. "The Sumerians never had much of a problem. We sorted ourselves out, and not many have tried to war with us for some time."

"Sumeria? The land of two rivers? That explains why you look so different. How did you make it all the way out here?" the pharaoh asked.

"None of your business!" the girl said, partially ashamed at herself for actually telling someone where she was from. She would not make that mistake again.

The boy was silent for a moment. "Sorry. I didn't realize," he said quietly.

Was that someone…showing her compassion? She didn't believe her ears. He actually said sorry? For what? He was technically her superior, her higher-up, so why would he be apologizing to her?

Just then, five men walked into the room, each carrying a large spear, dressed in military outfit. "Pharaoh, we're to take this girl to the cell," one said.

The pharaoh looked at them, then at the girl, an odd look on his face. The guards didn't wait for an answer, just bound and gagged the girl there. The girl didn't try to fight at all; she knew she could escape any prison, anywhere. So she just went along with it, staring at the pharaoh as they dragged her away, the odd look on the boy's face fixed on her.