Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Into the Midnight Sun ❯ Part I ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Into the Midnight Sun

Part I

The sun was high over the horizon, it's rays of heat scorching the earth below. It was an unusually warm summer's day for only the second month of Peret, but the sun knew no boundaries. It knew nothing but sweltering heat and burning suffering. The wind was beginning to pick up once more, swirling the grains of sand around the empty desert, creating a semi-tornado of dirt and cactus pins.

Not but 500 yards away, however, was a desert oasis. A crystal clear lake, surrounded by luscious, deep green grass, palm trees, and water lilies. It was amazing how this beautiful place could be found in a desert so lifeless and dry. But what was even more amazing was the human form that - if close enough - could be seen laying near the lake's edge; sound asleep.

The girl, no more than seventeen, had short brown hair which came just a quarter of an inch past her chin. Her eyes, covered by the lids of sleep, were a vibrant blue, unnatural in the land in which she lived. Her skin was only lightly tanned, despite the daily hours spent in the sunlight or the fact that she was supposedly a full blooded Egyptian. On the rare occasions where she would be sent into town by an elder family member, she would be given stares of curiosity. Whispers would rise amongst the townspeople, but hushed when she walked by.

Her father was an elder gentleman with light gray hair and a well-trimmed beard. He was the leader of her home; her family of shepherds. Her two elder brothers would work daily in the fields, watching the sheep; protecting them from stray, wild animals. Her younger brother would spend his day sitting at the well and listening to the women of her "tribe" telling stories as they drew water for their husbands.

She lived a somewhat strange life, always following orders and never breaking a promise. Many men in her small village had sought her for their bride; and because her father had left the decision up to her, she had always politely declined. Perhaps it was the yearning in her heart for more to her life. The belief that there was a world out there, waiting to be discovered and explored. She was more than just a shepherd's daughter; she was a dreamer and a philosopher. Whenever there arose a problem, Anzu could be called on to solve it. And for that, her village - her "tribe" - treated her with utmost respect, and yet, still as a child.

And at this moment, as she lay in the deep grass beside the crystal lake, just outside her small village, she was dreaming. Dreaming of a world she created, a world of peace; unlike the world in which she lived. Unable to stay within her village on a daily basis, she would run to her desert oasis and rest, the gentle waters creating a cool breeze as means for an escape from the sweltering sunlight.

- - -

Across the vast desert, in the coolest place of Egypt, right off the banks of the Nile's greatest span, a less calming scene was taking place. In the throne room before the almighty Pharaoh of Egypt was a young man with flowing white hair, tattered clothes, and a thin frame. If one were to take another glance, it would be possible to see signs of starvation by the slight sight of his ribs.

Once a strong man, he had lived a life of thievery and revenge. He had been one of the most wanted thieves in all of Egypt, a constant visitor to the tombs of Pharaohs long gone. He was a skilled fighter, strong and willful, but nevertheless, he had been caught. And now, he was forced to the ground before the Pharaoh and his fate lay within his hands.

The Pharaoh was an honest leader; strong, powerful, and fair. The Pharaoh before him had been ruthless, and the gods had given him punishment rightly deserved. He had taken his father's place at the age of fifteen, and ruled the land with power and strength that had never been seen before. It was said the gods were looking down in favor upon the young man and would prosper him and his land. It was now his eighteenth birthday and he was in an extraordinary mood, which is why his sentencing surprised even the thief before him.

"Tomb Robber, your deeds have been deplorable and the gods are greatly angered by your thievery of items meant for the afterlife for the Pharaohs of the past," Atem, the Pharaoh, began. "However, today, the gods are looking down upon you in favor. They have prompted me to give you a second chance."

At this, the thief slowly lifted his eyes to meet the face of the young Pharaoh. A haggard expression shone in his dull, dusty eyes as his fate was being set. He slowly drew in a small breath and swallowed his saliva, trying to quench his parched throat. He hadn't been fed in days, and had only been given a small cup of water each day. They could just kill me and get it over with; the only revenge I haven't had is on the "almighty" Pharaoh Atem.

"The gods hear your thoughts Thief. You will be given a small parcel, in which a camel skin of life giving Nile and a loaf of bread will be placed. You will then be released deep within the desert under Ra's watchful gaze. You are to never return to the city of the Pharaoh. Should you return, you will disgrace the gods' decision, and be executed," Atem said coolly. He slightly lifted his hand, motioning for a guard. "Jou," he commanded to his closest friend who stood beside his throne. "Go with them and see to it my commands are carried out."

"Yes my Pharaoh," Jou replied, bowing before Atem and disappearing through the doors which the guard had led the thief through.

"The gods are smiling down upon you Thief. I do not see why, but let your fate rest in their hands and not in my own. So shall it be written, so shall it be done." With these final words, Atem rose from his throne and turned to glance at his scroll writer. He smirked, watching the younger man hurrying to finish writing his ruling before he spoke another word. And with that glance, Atem left his throne room to join the celebrations for his eighteenth birthday.

- - -

"Anzu!" a voice called to her, causing her to rise from her slumber. Groaning, she rose from her position and shielded her eyes from the burning sun. "Anzu!"

"I'm here Adio!" she called, waving her hand slightly as her eldest brother approached her.

"Anzu, why must you come here when there is so much to be done?" Adio chastised, holding his hand out to help her up, his dark chestnut hair waving in the breeze.

"Because there is always tomorrow to do it," she smiled, accepting his help and rising from the ground.

Adio smiled back before his face grew serious. "Father wishes to speak with you."

"Have I done something wrong?" she questioned, immediately following her brother back to the village.

"Kasiya was with him."

Anzu inwardly groaned as she turned towards her brother. "Must he continually do this to me?"

"Anzu, as your older brother, I feel it is my right to step in where you may not want me to. Kasiya is a good man and-"

"Adio, I know you mean well, but I do not love him. I am tired of him continually asking for my hand," Anzu said, throwing her hands up in exasperation.

"When will you get it in that silly head of yours-"

"Adio, please don't start. I love you and respect your opinions, but I can not marry a man I do not love. No matter how good a man Kasiya is, I can't marry him."

"Then I suppose you'll grow into one of those women who never marry," Adio teased, slipping his arm around her neck in a brotherly embrace.

"Perhaps. Unless of course, he comes to me by way of the midnight sun."

"Anzu, you're hopeless," Adio laughed as the two entered into the small village and headed for their father's house.

- - -

Three days of nonstop traveling passed before the small party reached what Jou determined to be a decent distance from the palace and city of the Pharaoh. In a remote part of the southern Egyptian desert, he exited the carriage and motioned for the guards to bring out the thief, which they did so promptly.

"As the performer of the Pharaoh's orders, I hereby release you into this desert. May the gods look down upon you in favor, and may they protect you. You, Thief, are released."

The guards led the thief a distance away from the carriage and shoved him out into the empty wasteland of sand and cacti. Without moving, the thief watched the carriage turn around and head back to where they had come from.

Beads of sweat began to pour down his face as he stumbled into the barren desert. He opened up the small parcel and withdrew the camel skin, taking a sip of the cool Nile water before continuing his unknown journey.

He had no idea where he was going, or what he was going to do. His time in the cells below the palace without food had weakened him substantially, and the scorching sun above him was not helping his condition. It would be a miracle if he found a village or a town in this empty desert.

As his eyes scanned the miles and miles of sand before him, a slight tinge of green caught his eye. It had to be at least a fourteen day walk before he could make it even remotely close to that patch of green. Feeling all hope was lost, he slowly stumbled onward. The thought of dying further in the desert was much more appealing to him than to die where the Pharaoh's guards had left him.

- - -

"Marry me Anzu," Kasiya asked four days later, taking her small hand within his.

Anzu smiled slightly, shaking her head. "I told you Kasiya, no matter how much you plead with me, my answer is still the same."

"Your brothers approve of me; what am I lacking in your eyes?"

Anzu shook her head again, drawing up the bucket from the well and pouring the cool water into her pitcher. "Shouldn't you be with Adio in the fields?" she asked, finally turning to look at him.

Sighing in defeat, Kasiya turned his head to the sun. "I ask once more Anzu."

"And I reply once more; the answer is no."

"You should know that I will never give up until your hand is promised to another man."

"And you should know that my answer will be the same. Now go, Adio can't handle that flock alone."

"Anzu," a small voice called up to her, drawing her attention away from the retreating figure of Kasiya.

Anzu smiled softly, lifting her young brother into her arms and lifting the water pitcher from the rim of the well. "What is it Jumoke?" she questioned, heading for her father's house.

"I'm tired," he replied, a yawn escaping his lips as if to prove his point.

"Then you should sleep."

"But I want you to sing for me."

Anzu smiled softly, kissing her brother's head. "If I sing for you, will you promise to go to sleep?"

Jumoke nodded, snuggling in his sister's arm.

"Alright. But first, I have to bring Father a cup of papaya juice. Will you go to bed and wait for me?"

Jumoke nodded, climbing down from her arms when she reached the small house. "Hurry up," he pleaded, disappearing behind a tan curtain into his room.

Anzu smiled after her brother, thoughts of having her own children suddenly filling her head. This was soon followed by thoughts of Kasiya - a man who just couldn't take no for an answer. Anzu shook her head, trying to shake him from her mind. Adio was right, he would take care of her, and he'd be a faithful husband; but for Anzu, she wasn't sure if that was enough. She needed love.

Humming quietly, she set to work on making the papaya juice for her father. Being her father's only daughter, she was the one to look after her family. She would cook and clean for them. Once one of her elder brothers were married however, she wouldn't be the only female in her household. Adio or Ubaid would live very nearby in a home of their own, and their wife would see to the needs of the family. And if she were to marry before this occurred, she would move into the house of her husband, seeing not only to her family's needs, but to his as well. It was something Anzu always felt was a complicated issue.

If I were to marry Kasiya…no Anzu, don't even start to think things like that, she chastised herself. Just because Father, Adio, and Ubaid approve of him, and Jumoke likes him does not mean you should change your mind. It is a decision Father has left to you.

- - -

The sun was boiling upon his now bare back, but it was something he was growing used to. For nine days, he had been walking, his pace slowed by the constant wind going against him, and the sand blowing into his eyes. He had run out of water two days ago, but had come by a tiny pool and had collected the water into the camel skin. It could last him a few more days if he drank sparingly. His bread was nearly gone, but his hunger was last on his mind.

"This is my punishment? Why don't the gods just kill me now?" he questioned aloud, his voice cracked by the dryness of his throat. To make you suffer of course.

Mentally growling, he trudged on, stumbling and falling often, but never ceasing to rise up. His back was aching from the many hours spent in the direct sun. His eyes stung from the constant wind and sand. His chest hurt from the many times he had fallen.

The patch of green was growing closer with each day, giving him a small sense of hope, and the will to press on. What he would do once he got there, he was unsure of. He would drink the water, rest, and if there were people who did not know of him, perhaps he would make it his home.

His desire to steal had waned as the thoughts of surviving grew stronger. If there are any people on this patch of green I see in the distance, and they are so kind as to help me, then I swear upon my honor as one of the best thieves Egypt has seen that I will never steal anything from them.

- - -

"Anzu! Anzu, come look!"

"What is it Kamilah?" Anzu asked, turning her head to the direction her friend was pointing.

"There's a storm brewing, don't you see it? It will be here soon; we must get the herds into shelter and everyone to take cover," Kamilah exclaimed, immediately rushing off to the fields.

Anzu once again cast her eyes to the distant horizon. Not only was the storm brewing, but it was moving quickly and would reach them soon. Sighing, she realized she would be unable to leave the village for the rest of the day.

"Jumoke, come quick," she called as she rushed towards the well. "You must come inside; there's a storm coming!"

Jumoke ran from the well, as did the women who were drawing water. "A storm Anzu? But Adio and-"

"Go home Jumoke; I'll get them. And don't leave your room until I return, promise me."

"I promise," Jumoke replied quietly, his large violet eyes looking up into that of his sister's.

"Good, now go. I'll be home with Adio and Ubaid soon." Unless they stay with the flock. With that, Anzu rushed off into the fields where her two brothers watched a flock of sheep. She knew they had seen it and must be leading the sheep to some sort of shelter, but she had to find them and be certain they were alright. Sometimes, it was hard to see the storms in the distance from the fields.

"Anzu?" a masculine voice called out to her in surprise.

"Ubaid!" she exclaimed, throwing herself into her brother's strong arms. "Where's Adio?"

"He's securing the flock. What are you doing here? Kamilah told us a storm is brewing; you should be at home with Jumoke and Father."

"I had to make sure you were alright."

"We'll be fine; we have shelter in that mountain cavern over there," Ubaid explained, tossing his head in direction, his tanned blonde hair moving with it. "You need to go home Anzu; Father will be worried when he returns and you're missing. Kasiya is here and is heading back to the village; I'll have him go back with you."

"No, that won't-"

But it was too late; Kasiya had taken Anzu by the hand and was hurriedly leading her away from the flocks and back towards the village.

"It looks like it will last a few days," he commented, picking up speed when rain drops began to fall from the sky.

Anzu remained silent, her cerulean eyes glancing worriedly back towards the place her brothers were.

"They'll be fine Anzu. As long as they stay put. You, on the other hand, need to stay in your house. The rain can become a very dangerous thing-"

"I'm not a child Kasiya. Thank you for escorting me home; good day," Anzu interrupted, her voice curt. "Please, go home."

Kasiya nodded briefly, rushing off the moment he saw Anzu enter her home. Come on Anzu, at least give me a chance.

- - -

Great, a storm…then again, the water will be a wonderful gift from the gods who've forsaken me, the thief thought wearily as his eyes were focused on the storm over his destination.

He had once again run out of water and was now completely out of food. He was hungry, thirty, and tired. But regardless, he pressed on. Rain began to pelt his face hard and the wind began to push him away. His steps grew slower as he shielded his face from the pelting.

Darkness had quickly set in and he soon lost a sense of direction. His hair had quickly grown wet and was now sticking to his bare back. Slowly, he withdrew the camel skin and caught some rain water with it. Greedily, he drank what the heavens offered him and continued to walk on.

He was quickly growing cold, and shivering in the summer heat of the Egyptian desert. The sun was no longer visible in this dark storm. He continued to walk, and for hours, he did. Until his body could no longer take the exertion and he stumbled, collapsing onto a soft bed of green while the world went black.

- - -

Anzu cast a weary glance out the window of the house, her eyes looking for either one of her brothers. Three days had slowly passed by while Anzu remained in the confines of the house, entertaining her brother, and seeing to her Father's commands. The rain had slowed to a steady sprinkle earlier that morning.

"Father, I'm going to draw some water from the well," she said softly, grabbing the pitcher.

"Come right back. Until your brothers are home, I do not want you out very long," he replied, smiling at his young daughter.

Anzu nodded and left the house for the well, which was empty of people. She began to hum as the rain droplets softly dampened her hair.

"Anzu!" two voices called out to her, drawing her attention to them and causing her to nearly spill her pitcher of water.

"Adio! Ubaid!" she cried out in glee, waiting for them to come to her. "We were worried."

"Kasiya and Tumaini came to watch the flocks so we could come home," Adio replied, slipping his arm around his sister and taking the pitcher from her.

"I'm going to check on Kamilah," Ubaid grinned, turning away from his brother and sister and heading the opposite direction.

"Father, Adio is here and Ubaid will be shortly," Anzu announced, taking the pitcher from her brother and placing it on the table. "May I go to the oasis? I promise not to be gone long. The sun is even coming out. Please Father."

Thabit raised his head and glanced at his daughter, and then Adio.

"The sun is shining Father, and the weather has cleared."

"Very well," Thabit replied, nodding at Anzu. "You may go, but do not be gone long. Bring an extra linen with you."

"Thank you Father!" Anzu exclaimed, kissing Thabit's cheek and rushing from the house towards her own little desert oasis.

- - -

The sound of an angel began to stir the white haired thief from his long sleep. He groaned, slowly opening his eyes and finding the sun was shining from behind the clouds. He tried to raise himself from the ground but found it somewhat useless. He was too weak to move alone.

The sound reached his ears again, causing him to scan the area for the owner. That's when he realized he was no longer on sand, but on soft grass, and there was water so close by. If only he could move towards it.

And there was that voice. "Who's there?" he yelled out, but his voice came out in a hoarse whisper due to the dryness of his throat.

The singing ceased and a gasp was heard. "Is someone there?" a gentle voice questioned.

The thief grunted, groaning once more. He could hear footsteps cautiously approaching him, and noted they stopped close by. Another gasp met his ears before he could hear feet rushing towards him.

"Oh," Anzu gasped, raising a hand to her lips while she stared down at the battered figure of a man. She swallowed, unsure what to do.

"Water," he mumbled, another groan escaping his lips.

Anzu's eyes began scanning the oasis for something to collect the lake water with when she spotted the thief's parcel not too far from him. Quickly, she picked it up and found the camel skin inside. Not too long after, she was back by the thief, gently turning him on his back.

"Here," she said softly, lifting the camel skin to his lips and slowly pouring the water down his throat.

When it was gone, the man allowed a sigh of thanks to escape his lips before he opened his eyes once more and found himself gazing into the deep blue eyes of a young girl. She was equally mesmerized by his light chestnut orbs.

"Where are you from? You certainly could not have crossed the desert with one camel skin."

"The city of the Pharaoh," was all he said as he tried to stand but found himself stumbling.

"Come with me to my father's house. You are not well and my father will graciously welcome you into his home," Anzu commanded, slipping her arm around the man's waist and helping him stand.

"You…are too kind," he panted, pushing his legs forward.

He was a tall man, towering over Anzu by half the length of her face. And with nearly all his weight leaning on her for support, she was certain she would collapse.

"Anzu? Who is this?"

"Ubaid, please help me," Anzu pleaded, sighing in relief when her brother took the stranger's other arm and motioned for Anzu to walk.

- - -

"Tell the boy he is welcome here for as long as he needs. Anzu, you must take care of him until he is well. Ubaid, come with me. Jumoke and Adio are just outside if you need them," Thabit said, leading Ubaid from the house and leaving Anzu with an unconscious stranger.

"Who are you and where have you come from?" she whispered, gently pushing his white locks from his face. A hand instantly shot up and grabbed her wrist, causing her to shriek slightly.

"Please let go," she whispered, staring into the stranger's eyes and watching as he released her hand.

"It's a reflex," he shrugged, shifting his position on the bed. "Where am I?"

"You are in the house of Thabit. I am Anzu, his daughter."

"How did I…" he trailed off, his eyes glancing around the small room.

"I found you at the oasis. You are not well. You are in need of much water and much more food; I can see your ribs. Father has offered you a place to stay for as long as you need. Now, it's my turn to ask questions," Anzu stated, handing the stranger a cup of papaya juice.

He nodded slightly, moving to a sitting position and drinking the juice.

"What is your name and how have you come here?"

"My name is Bakura and I crossed the desert," he stated simply, a smirk forming upon his face. It felt good to have something to smirk at after his time in the prison and then crossing the barren desert.

"With only one camel skin? You told me earlier that you were from the city of the Pharaoh. It is at least a twenty day walk from there; and that is if you only sleep 2 hours a day."

"I was dropped off a three day carriage ride away."

"You need to rest. If you need anything, call for me. I will be right behind that curtain. And please, do not get up. You've come a long way and have pushed yourself too hard. I must go cook lunch now; excuse me."

Moments after Anzu had gone, Bakura stared at the curtain, his body begging for sleep. It occurred to him that the people of this village which he had walked so long to find had no idea he was a freed thief.

The girl seemed ordinary to him, and yet, she seemed like a rare jewel. There was something about the way she spoke, and the way she acted, that caused her to be different from all the women he had known. She treated him with a respect he had never known. Perhaps this was all turning out for the better.