Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Into the Midnight Sun ❯ Part II ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Into the Midnight Sun

Part II

"Thank you for giving me a place to stay," Bakura said, bowing his head at Thabit as he sat with the family at supper three days later. Ubaid and Adio were eyeing him cautiously, while Jumoke was happily seated beside him. Anzu, on the other hand, was seated across from him and often found his eyes resting upon her face.

"It is my own honor," Thabit replied. "But it is not I who has taken care of you." At this, he glanced at Anzu whose face had a slight hue of pink.

"And for her care, I am genuinely thankful and forever in your debt."

Anzu's eyes glanced at Bakura in question before understanding came to her. "You wish for me to tell you how you can repay us?"

Bakura nodded slightly.

"We are always in need of a shepherd. My brothers watch our flock; perhaps when you're completely well, you could join them and they could teach you."

"Excellent; then you will stay Bakura?" Thabit asked.

"Of course; I have no where else to go," he replied, a bitterness hanging deep within his words that went unnoticed by Thabit.

"Then I insist you remain in my house. When you are well, you will join Adio and Ubaid in the fields. They will show you how to tend to the flock. Anzu will remain with you until you are well."

Anzu bowed her head, glancing down at her food. She knew Bakura's eyes were watching her. What was it about this stranger that made her blush and feel strange? There was still so much to learn about him; one being why he had left the city of the Pharaoh. It had bothered her since he had told her where he was from, and now that he would remain in her father's home, she made it her purpose to learn about him.

- - -

Bakura groggily opened his eyes as a gentle humming reached his ears. He sighed in a form of contentment as he glanced around the room and snuggled further under the soft linens. It had been five days since he had found this small village; and those five days, the girl Anzu had stayed nearby, tending to his needs.

Due to her superb cooking, he had not gone hungry and had finally gained some weight, which was starting to cover up the signs of starvation. And now, he was beginning to feel like his old self; minus the strong desire to steal. These people had been too kind to him for him to steal from them. That did not stop his thoughts from others in the small village however.

He did happen to fear the gods and what wrath they could bestow upon him for breaking their trust in him for a second chance. He had had his revenge upon the men who had murdered his family, but deep within his heart, there was a deep hatred for the Pharaoh. Even if it was the gods decision, the Pharaoh forced him into the desert and he nearly died. But at least a death in the desert would have been more dignifying than a death by the Pharaoh.

Smirking, he rose from the bed, breathing in the warm morning air. No doubt that Adio and Ubaid had already gone to the fields, Thabit to the council tent, and Jumoke somewhere in the small village. As far as he knew, he was completely alone with Anzu; and that could prove to be beneficial for him.

"I know you're awake," her voice called to him as her hand moved the curtain. "Come and eat."

Bakura slowly made his way to the small table and sat at it, watching Anzu intently as she brought him fruit and bread.

Anzu was well aware of the eyes intently watching her, and found a slight blush rising to her face. This stranger, Bakura, seemed to have that effect upon her. Her only justification for it was the very fact that he was just a stranger and not someone she had known her entire life like all the other village people.

"There must be a town nearby," Bakura commented, slowly biting into the fruit pieces.

"Yes, but it is a quarter of a half day's walk to reach it," Anzu replied softly, her eyes glancing at Bakura's before turning away.

Bakura nodded at this, his brows furrowing in thought. What was he supposed to do with his life? He could always go back to stealing, but where was the fun in that? None of the Pharaoh's guards resided in this small village, and if the town was that far from the village, he was certain there wouldn't be many guards there. To reach it by carriage from the city of the Pharaoh must take five days. And by horse, it would be even longer.

The thrill would be gone; and there weren't any tombs of Pharaohs in this part of the Egyptian desert, so he was certain there was nothing of value to steal. The only thing interesting he found in the village was Anzu, but she was just another female. And he only found her interesting because she had selflessly helped him and continued to do so.

"May I ask you something?" she questioned, breaking into his thoughts. He nodded his head in reply. "How did you survive if you walked for so long with only one camel skin? The sun is very warm and can take the life-giving water from you quickly."

Bakura shrugged, this puzzling him as well. "I suppose it is because the gods have some great purpose in store for me and couldn't allow me to die," he replied in sarcasm.

Anzu only nodded before rising from her seat. "Are you feeling better today?" she asked softly, her back turned towards him as her eyes were set outside the window.

Bakura grunted, not giving her a reply. "Why?"

"I would like to show you the flocks my brothers watch over," she replied simply, turning towards him with a small smile.

Bakura shrugged and rose from the chair. He approached Anzu and took hold of her shoulders, staring straight into her eyes. "If you teach me your way of life, in exchange, I will tell you about where I am from."

"Very well," she agreed, taking his arm and leading him from the house. "First, the fields."

Bakura offered no resistance, giving in to her request. It was strange for him, a great thief and tomb robber, to allow a female to lead him. Even more strange was that he was in no hurry to leave the village. According to the Pharaoh, should he return to his city and be discovered, he would be executed. And while Bakura was for adventure, he wasn't looking to end his life anytime soon.

Anzu caused him to think clearly for the first time since his family's murder. Was life all about vengeance, or was it possible there was something more; a greater purpose perhaps. He knew nothing but thievery and had grown into a cold-hearted man; but nevertheless, this girl seemed to warm his heart, more than the shining sun could do. She had definitely intrigued him and despite the feelings deep within his darkened, sadistic heart, he ignored the fact that there really was nothing for him in this village. Except, perhaps, her.

- - -

"Adio!" Anzu called, waving joyfully to her eldest brother before she walked up to him, dragging Bakura with her.

"Anzu! Are we teaching him already?" he asked, somewhat surprised, as he glanced at the white haired man whose arm she currently had a hold on.

"Oh no, I was just showing him around. I thought it might do good to have fresh air. Besides, you know me," she smiled.

"Yes, you can't stand staring at the same four walls all day; unlike most women, Anzu enjoys being in the outdoors, away from the home," Adio sighed, his attention directed to Bakura. "Perhaps you can teach her otherwise."

Bakura nodded slightly, unsure as to which direction he should take the comment. Shrugging it off, he turned to look at the fields. "Sheep's wool," he commented quietly, his voice unheard by his two companions. "What happens to their wool during the harvesting season?" he questioned.

"We make linens; there is always so much extra that we fill our beds with them for a softer cushion," Anzu answered, leading him into the shade of a stray tree. "This is where my brothers tend to the sheep; and when the storms come through, they are taken to that cavern over there," she continued, her finger pointing to a cave in the rocky mountain which loomed overhead.

"It's cooler here because of the mountains we have around us. The midday and evening sun is warmer than the morning sun, which is why our homes are on this side of the mountains. The majority of the rays are caught on the other side of the mountains while the air cools in our homes. However, the coolest place I have found happens to be in direct sunlight," Anzu smiled, taking Bakura's hand and leading him from the fields to the center of the village.

"I don't see how that is possible."

"It's where I found you. The winds that blow by us carries the cool mist of the waters, which is why the air feels much cooler there, even though the sun shines directly upon it. I have another question for you."

"And that would be?"

"Why did you leave the city of the Pharaoh? And with only one camel skin? Didn't you realize no matter what direction you took, you would be in an empty desert for days?" Anzu asked curiously, tilting her head to look into Bakura's face.

Bakura faltered, but it didn't show. If he were to tell any of the people in this village that he was a free thief, he would be forced to leave. Any smart person would not want someone around who had not only stolen, but had killed. How was he going to answer this one?

"Anzu!"

Anzu sighed, her eyes rolling slightly as she released Bakura's hand and turned to face Kasiya. "Yes?"

"I was just at your home and you weren't there; so I went to your favorite place and couldn't find you. I was beginning to grow worried," Kasiya admitted, taking hold of her hands.

"I am not a child who must tell everyone where I am going," she frowned, her eyes staring at their hands. "I was showing Bakura the fields."

Kasiya's eyes slowly left Anzu's face and turned to that of the stranger beside her. "Kasiya from the house of Adofo," he said calmly, his eyes slightly narrowing.

"Bakura," was all he said, his mind instantly set that he did not like this man.

"Bakura is staying in my father's house. I found him at the oasis; he has come from the city of the Pharaoh," Anzu explained, turning to Bakura with a small smile before turning back to Kasiya.

"The city of the Pharaoh? And why would you leave for a village as humble as our own?" Kasiya asked in skepticism.

"For the change of scenery," Bakura shrugged, smirking.

"If you don't mind, we need to be home. Bakura should rest. He traveled a long way and is still not completely well."

"Anzu, I must speak with you," he pleaded.

Anzu inwardly groaned, forcing a polite voice to sound. "Then speak with me after I have made certain that our guest is resting."

- - -

Bakura was unable to rest as well as Anzu was hoping; and that was partially due to the voices he could hear from behind the curtain. His ears perked up at their conversation as he listened to every word spoken, his mind processing the information.

"Kasiya, please do not ask me again," Anzu begged, sighing in exasperation.

"I told you that I would not cease to ask you until you said yes, or you were promised to another," he replied, taking hold of her hands once more. "Anzu, please listen to me."

"Why must you keep asking me? I told you no two years ago, and my answer is still the same."

"Anzu, I love you. You may never love me, but I don't care. You would make me the happiest man alive if you'd be my wife. You know I'd care for you forever." Kasiya's voice was quiet and filled with honesty, which brought tears to Anzu's eyes.

"Please, stop."

"Anzu," he whispered, wiping the tears from her eyes. "Marry me. Who are you waiting for? You certainly can't be considering this Bakura."

Anzu's eyes widened considerably at this. She shook her tears away and took a few steps back. "What would be wrong with that?"

"You know nothing about him Anzu; no one does. No one crosses the desert for a 'change of scenery.' That's ludicrous!" Kasiya exclaimed, looking at Anzu with disbelief.

"Who I may even consider is none of your concern Kasiya. My answer is still the same. Please leave."

Behind the curtain, Bakura's expression was one of complete surprise. The fact that Anzu had not shunned the thought of a marriage to him, but rather returned the statement with a question of how it would be wrong was shocking. He had been there but five days, and she would consider him over one she had known for years.

A smirk slowly began to form upon his face as this information sunk in. He may not be able to find fun in stealing because there were no guards to chase him, but he could certainly find fun in two completely different things. One, making this Kasiya jealous. And two, leading Anzu to believe she interested him. If his plan worked, and Anzu grew interested in him, then no one would have reason to doubt him and he would have more time to think of what he was going to do.

He had drawn the conclusion that remaining in the village was out of the question. As soon as he could make some money, he would travel into the next town and buy a horse, food, and several camel skins. He would then travel to the closest town to the east or west, and then from there, he would go north until he reached the city of the Pharaoh. He would travel the outskirts and once past it, he would travel east, sell his horse, cross the Nile, walk for three days, and would arrive at the place of his birth. Once there, he would seek out an old friend. From there on, his plan was hazy, but he had his departure planned, and that was all he needed.

If Anzu's father began to see the interest they would begin to hold for each other, and started to drop hints to him about a marriage to his daughter, he would have to leave sooner than planned. For now, he would rest a few more days before joining her brothers in the fields, as well as carry out his plan. And as soon as he could, he would leave.

He smiled in satisfaction. His plan was foolproof. Once he left, Anzu would be in need of consolation, and that would be where Kasiya would step in. He smirked. She was saying no now, but in a few months, she would be changing her mind. It wasn't like him to help another person, and even though he despised the man, it just happened to be the effects of his plan. Nothing could go wrong.

- - -

"Ubaid," a gentle, feminine voice called from across the fields, drawing the said man's attention. A grin immediately appeared on his face as he ran across the fields and embraced the girl tightly. "Father wishes you to join us for supper this evening. Will you be able to?"

"Of course Kamilah.Bakura has been helping tend the flocks for the past two days and he's becoming a natural at it. I'm certain Adio won't mind being left alone with him," Ubaid grinned, never releasing Kamilah. For only nineteen, he was well beyond his years. Working in the fields with the sheep from the day he could walk had given him a strong appearance, and a strong will. He was approaching Adio's height, which greatly surpassed their father's. His lightly tanned sandy hair waved in the breeze as his dark eyes stared down at the girl before him.

At the same age as Anzu, Kamilah was still childlike in her actions and appearance, but never ceased to care and love those around her. She had long black hair that was tied back on the warmest of days and vibrant violet eyes. She had captured Ubaid's attention early in their life, and a strong love had blossomed between the two of them over the years. It was this love for Kamilah that prompted Ubaid to request her hand from her father before making the knowledge of his interests known to her. He was certain she knew his feelings without him speaking.

He grinned joyfully before turning to face his brother and Bakura. "I hope you two can handle the flock alone," he yelled, waving his hand in goodbye.

Adio just waved him off, turning back to the newly shaped staff and handing it to Bakura. "The sheep follow the staff, so if one begins to stray, herd them back in," he said, leaning against a large stone and sinking to the ground.

Bakura nodded, wiping his forehead with his arm and sitting beside Adio. The shade from the shadow of the stone brought little comfort to the former tomb robber as he closed his eyes in an effort to cool down and block the bright sun.

"We can not afford to sleep my friend," Adio laughed, lightly shoving Bakura. "There are wild animals among the mountains, and we can't afford to lose one sheep. If we lose one, the herd will notice and grow frightened. This is how we live."

Bakura nodded, wondering how one could live each day by watching a flock of sheep. To him, it carried no interest as thievery did. When he would steal, there was action and adventure; but sitting and watching sheep all day, where was the adventure? He silently hoped some strange, wild animal would grow hungry and attack the herd so he would have the joy of action.

"Here comes Anzu," Adio grinned, waving to his sister in the distance.

Bakura's eyes snapped open at this comment and he focused on the lone figure slowly approaching them and carrying a basket. He grinned, realizing she must be carrying food and water, which is something he greatly desired.

"Just what are your interests towards my sister?" Adio questioned, closing his eyes slightly.

"I have none," Bakura replied, his eyes focused on the approaching girl.

"And yet you watch her so intently. I am not a blind fool; and she is my only sister. I have grown to trust her decisions, and she chooses to trust you, so I do too. If your intentions towards her are good, I give you my blessing."

"I've brought fresh water and fruit," Anzu smiled, laying the basket down at her brother's feet. "Is there anything else you need?"

Adio grinned, opening his eyes and glancing up at his sister. "I see a stray sheep," he said, rising and heading into the fields.

"You look pale," she commented, tilting her head as she gazed at Bakura.

"It's the hair," he replied, gratefully accepting the camel skin she offered to him.

Anzu laughed gently before seating herself beside Bakura upon the ground. "I brought a few extra linens. Although it is hot in the daytime, it's cool in the midnight sun."

"A poet?" he questioned, his eyes staring off into the fields.

"No, it's just what I call the bright orb among the stars. If it is a planet such as ours, it doesn't have a light source of it's own and must somehow shine the light of another to us. The brightest light in the heavens is the sun, so…" Anzu trailed off when she felt Bakura's hand take a strand of hair and twirl it between his fingers.

"I've never seen a more beautiful color in all the land of Egypt. And your eyes sparkle more than the sun on the Nile," he whispered, his hand running down her cheek and cupping her chin.

Anzu blinked her eyes, staring at Bakura in wonder. Never had a man so much as dared to touch her face; and now this man from a city far away, against the banks of the Nile, was sitting beside her and staring at her with his lightly tanned eyes and his hand holding her chin.

"How is it that a beauty such as you is not promised to anyone?" he questioned, removing his hand but not his eyes.

Anzu found that pink flush rising to her cheeks once more and quickly rose from the ground. "I wonder where Adio has gone. He should not leave you here to watch the flock alone; and he knows that I know little when it comes to this."

"Anzu, are you frightened of me?" Bakura questioned, a laugh escaping his lips. It would not be the first time a woman was frightened of him, but this reason would be very different considering he was not holding a knife to her throat as he had done to others in times past. No, this reason was because he had touched her face.

"I'm frightened of no one so do not give yourself the honor of believing you've frightened me," she said coolly, waving her brother over the moment she spotted him.

Bakura smirked at her attitude, noticing a very different tone from the one just moments before. "You'd be frightened of the Pharaoh."

"Have you met him?" she asked, her eyes growing wide.

"Unfortunately," he mumbled, one hand clenching into a fist.

"They say he is a fair and just ruler, why do you seem to hate him?" she questioned innocently retuning to her seated position.

"It is because of him that I had to leave my home. Fair and just he may be, but compassionate and kind he is anything but," Bakura growled, failing to mention why he was forced to leave his "home" behind.

"There must have been a reason. I have paid attention to the rulings he makes when I learn them in town and all of them are fair and with cause. But I suppose, no matter how great a ruler you are, there will always be those who hate and despise you. Imagine ruling this nation with the thoughts of thousands of people on your mind, and their well-being. Every decision you make affects your people in some way. I have never met him, but I believe him to be a great ruler." Anzu's voice was soft as she spoke her mind to Bakura, not noticing the way he listened to her, or how his expression changed when she had finished.

It bothered him to think that her idea of the Pharaoh and why he made certain choices made more sense than the bottled up anger and hatred he had inside. It bothered him that she knew more about ruling a nation when she was just a shepherd's daughter. But what bothered him the most was that she knew more about a man she had never met than anyone in all of Egypt.

- - -

Seven days had passed, and in this time, Anzu had shown Bakura the small field behind their home where she planted and harvested many different crops. From the way her brothers had spoken about her in the fields while they spent their days watching the flocks, she had sounded like one to sit around and dream all day. But here she was, showing him the fruits of her hard labor.

"When Ubaid and Kamilah are married in seven days, there will be a great feast for all the village to enjoy. After the feast, there will be dancing and a great fire. My father will be performing the ceremony and I will be singing. The sheep will remain in their enclosure the next day, and no harvesting will be done," Anzu explained, as she gathered many of her crops into a basket.

"But he is not the eldest," Bakura remarked as he followed her into the coolness of the home.

"This is true. In our village, the eldest is not required to marry first," she shrugged. "I know it is different from the customs in the Pharaoh's city, and among all Egypt, but it works best for us if those who wish to marry soon do so."

"And what about the eldest daughter?" he questioned, slipping her hand into his and searching her eyes.

"There are no rules as the ones you know," she replied, pulling her hand from his grasp and forcing the blush down. "However, because I am my father's only daughter, he is eager for me to marry because he fears that when he passes, my brothers will be married and busy with their families, and I will be alone."

"Yet you reject men whose hearts are set upon you?"

"Because my heart is not set upon them.Please excuse me, I need to fetch some water from the well," she hurried, grabbing the full pitcher from the table and disappearing through the door of the house.

Bakura watched her actions with a smirk. She was flustered because of his questions and his touch. It was perfect. In seven days, at the great marriage feast, he would make sure Kasiya was watching, and he would take her hand in his. Kasiya would grow jealous and Bakura will have just begun his fun.

He grinned slightly as he bit into a pear Anzu had brought in but moments earlier. It was too bad she lived in this small village. Under any other circumstance, he just might consider dropping his plan and making her his own. But that was out of the question. Even if he had any thought to marry her, he refused to remain in the village and would not be hindered by a woman when he went on his journey to the city of his birth. No, Anzu of the House of Thabit, was merely a pawn in his small plan of amusement.