Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Join the Dead ❯ Gate Keepers ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

They had been walking for several hours after the convertible broken down from the engine over-heating. The only weapon they had was a broken tennis racket; and it would do them no good for it was never a smart idea to approach the enemy in direct combat. One bite and you were as good as dead.
“Bakura? What are we going to do now?” Ryou asked his fingers interlocked with Bakura's.
“We are going to go back to Domino and somehow get into KaibaCorp.” He stated.
“KaibaCorp? Why there?”
“Kaiba, being the smart man that he is, is bound to have emergency supplies in his building as well as his own home. Plus, that building had a lot of in and out traffic, thus there is bound to be other survives there.”
“But what if there are no survivors? Where will we go then?” Ryou asked, starting to panic. /What if we are the only ones left?!/ His worried thought leaked through the mind link.
“Then we'll raid a hunting supply store and find a way out of Japan. I highly doubt we are the only ones left, Yadonushi.” He kissed Ryou's forehead in a comforting manor. “And if we are, I wouldn't want to be stuck with anyone else.”
Ryou smiled up at him before facing the road again. The skyline of Domino City could be seen up ahead. A comfortable silence passed, before Ryou interrupted it with another question. “'Kura… why was it easier for you to leave Marik behind? When Malik got infected we had to drag you away but…. But with Marik you…you encouraged leaving him…why?”
“Ryou,” Bakura sighed and stopped walking, “I had no idea what was going on with Malik, but with Marik, I got a clear idea of what was going to happen to him. Marik didn't tell you but as you were looking out and I was placing him in the car he could already feel the changes coming. The only reason why he lasted as long as he did was because of his constant use of Shadow magic to dull the effects. It wasn't a permanent solution. He told me right before I called you to us to make sure that when he said `That's the safest thing to do' that I would drop him off then. He couldn't hold it back much longer, Ry. I didn't want to leave him either but it had to be done, if we didn't we would be just like him and Malik.”
“I miss them, `Kura.”
“As do I, landlord, as do I. But you have to be strong for them.” Bakura pulled Ryou into a hug and a chaste kiss. “They wouldn't want you to worry like this.”
“But…wh-what do you think they are doing now?”
“… come on, we have to keep walking. It's not safe to stay out here in the open. Let's go.” Bakura knew it wasn't wise to tell his light that Marik and Malik were feasting on someone's flesh. Occult lover or not, it would only make his panic worse.
~o(0)o~
Ryou and Bakura approached the city limits from the side and noticed a few guards outside its gate. The guards had a weird air about them. Their armor was encased in fresh, still dripping, blood. Any of the skin that was exposed shined ghostly pale and was covered in several cuts and gashes. There were several bodies, old, children, and obese, littered around their feet, and the gates themselves like sacrifices to an ancient heathen god. Most of the corpses had bullet holes and a few, the stronger bodies, had bite wounds; that on any normal day one would assume it was made by a savage animal.
“We are going to have to sneak in through a difference entrance, landlord. They are killing survivors it seems.” Bakura stated in a hushed voice.
“To…conserve food?” Ryou whispered back looking at Bakura before noticing something strange happening to a few of the corpses. “What… what is that?”
“Wha- oh shit! Get down!” Bakura pulled Ryou down towards the ground and the hid behind the bush, his body over the little one's as a shield.
A few of the corpses started to move. Only the bodies of the young and seemingly fit started to twitch. Slowly the two re-animated bodies started to rise from the ground. The gate guardians made grunting noises to something behind the gate. Two more guards came out with several of the Roba children. Pushing them towards the bodies, they were immediately attacked and feasted upon. Ryou pushed his face into Bakura's neck. It was too much to bare for him. He may not have liked or hated the Roba brothers but to be torn apart like cotton candy was a cruel fate that he would not have wished on his own enemies. The worst part was the noise coming from the animated souls. There was nothing but crunching and groaning from them, while the living children were screaming in agony, crying out to their older brother, who was one of the ones eating them; begging for him to stop.
“Let's go now while they are all distracted.” Bakura said in a soft voice, pulling Ryou with him away from the carnage, and out of hearing range from the infected. Sneaking around Bakura noticed a narrow rip in the chain linked gate, just barley big enough for them to squeeze through.
“You have to be careful getting through here, it's a tight fit.” He said has he showed Ryou how to wriggle through it. Bakura had no problem getting through it with all of his years being a thief and sneaking through the shadows, Ryou, on the other hand, had not had his experience. As his light was trying to get through his shirt got snagged on a sharp jagged edge of the gate. Trying to jerk his arm free, he pierced his skin on the gate causing a gash deep enough to draw blood. Gasping in pain, he got free and fell through the gate, being caught by Bakura before he landed on the ground. “Are you all right?” He asked.
“Yeah, I'm fine it's just a small cut.” Ryou replied.
“Don't do that next time.”
A strong gust of wind, in the direction of the gate, blew by them both at that moment. Groans and the shouting of `living' could be heard. Alarms sounded by the gate and echoed to the pair. In the distance the freshly moving undead appeared to be running towards them with haste. Bakura grabbed hold of Ryou's hand and started to run with him as fast as they could; having no time to stop and cover up the wound that was attracting the dead. If they couldn't get that problem fixed soon…. They were as good as eaten.