Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Join the Dead ❯ Buggy Allies ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

They continued to run even though the danger was out of sight for the moment. All of the infected in the immediate area dispersed, after they took the time to bandage the wound that Ryou had inflicted on himself, and they were no longer able to smell the blood.
“Hehe, Bakura.” Came a call from the alley they were about to pass. Insector Haga stepped out from the darkness and beckoned the two towards him. “It's safe in here with us,” he pointed to the door on the side of the building, “They haven't swarmed us yet. You could catch your breath inside.” He smiled before walking back down the alley and into the building.
Bakura and Ryou both gave each other a look before nodding and taking the offer. He, unfortunately, was the first living person they had seen since the breakout. Heading into the alley they went inside and shut the door that had been left ajar for them, like an invitation. Haga awaited them and beckoned them to follow him through the building that appeared to be a duplex.
“Why are you helping us?” Ryou questioned. He had faint memories of Haga and none of them were pleasant.
“You aren't the only survivors, the rest are downstairs keeping quiet.” He said, dodging the question. Walking through the living area they noticed that it did seem like there was someone living here. Only one someone though. “The rest of the nest is down below.” He pointed down the staircase from the open basement door.
Bakura pushed Haga out of the way before descending the staircase. When he reached the bottom he noticed that the only other living beings were the insects' scattered around. “Where the hell is everyone else?”
Haga smiled before shoving Ryou down the stairs, causing him to sprawl out and clutch his twisted ankle as it sent spears of pain shooting up his leg. “Everyone else is dead, dying, or undead; and the living are doing whatever they can to survive, even if it means selling out other breathers.” He laughed, then quickly barricaded the door, to prevent his hostages from escaping.
Bakura rushed over to his injured light's side to assess the damage done to him. Allowing his former host to use his shoulders for support he placed him down on a rotting sofa, to allow the injured ankle room for elevation.
“I really need to stop hurting myself.” Ryou sighed while glancing at the other injury he received earlier in the day.
“If you didn't get hurt every other second, then you wouldn't be you.” Bakura jested half-heartedly.
“I won't be going anywhere any time soon on this leg.” He paused to think before he spoke again, “You should get out of here and get help while you can.”
“I'm not leaving you too, Landlord. I have left enough of my lovers to their doom; I am staying right here. End of story.”
“But, I'm not infected so it would be safe for you to come back.” Ryou protested. “We are both trapped down here, until God knows when. I will not be able to get anywhere, we're sitting ducks!”
“Yadonushi, I a-”
“I'm still a breather, so I'll be fine. You're fast enough to get out, get help, and come back for me before he'd even notice you're missing! Please, Bakura, I don't want to be trapped here waiting for him to strike. So get out through that window, come back and kick his ass!” He gasped for air after speaking, it was all a mangled rush of words, but not rushed enough to lose its meaning and passion.
Bakura grabbed Ryou and embraced him before he whispered in his ear, “I am coming back for you.”
“I know you are, Bakura, and I will be waiting.”
~o(0)o~
“I have the Hikari.” Haga wheezed into the phone.
“And the Yami?” A smooth voice replied.
“Hehe, I have him too.”
“Where are you holding them? Can they escape?”
“I trapped them in the basement and blocked it off from the outside. I locked it too! They're trapped like flies on sticky-paper.” He declared, proud to use his sneaking skills to their advantage.
“For your sake I hope they are still there when we arrive.”
“You're coming here?! I thought-”
“We will be there shortly.”
~o(0)o~
Haga headed towards the door when he heard the doorbell alert him to his `guests'. Opening the door he lowered his head in submission to them. “I will show you the way to them if you'd just follow me.” He brought them to the entrance of the basement stairway. “I'll bring them up.” He walked down the stairs; his beady eyes noticed only one of his pale skinned prisoners. He rushed over to Ryou and grabbed his shirt, pulling him up slightly. “Tell me, where is Bakura?”
“…” Ryou was silent and glanced off to the side, ignoring Haga.
“Tell me!”
“No…”
“Now!”
“…” Haga, growing infuriated with the captive's lack of cooperation, smacked Ryou across the face. The crack echoed.
“Oh dear, you are really going to wish you hadn't of done that.” Two shadowed figures appeared at the bottom of the staircase. Both were males one being larger than the other. The bigger of the two went up to Haga and removed him from Ryou.
“Missing someone?”
“No Bakura no deal for you.”
“But, I have one of them though!” Haga screamed out, thrashing in the grip of the large male who laughed at his anguish. He dragged him up the stairs by his arm, Haga's head banging on each step. All was silent before a blood-curdling scream echoed throughout the house hold, causing goose bumps to form on all of the living's flesh that was in the immediate area.
“Hello there, Ryou, did he hurt you anywhere else?” The smaller of the two figures said as he moved towards him.
“Ma-”
“Shhhhh, it's okay, Ryou.” He lowered himself down to Ryou's level and caressed his face in a comforting matter. “You won't be alone again.”
“No! You can't do this to me! I don't want it!” He protested, shaking his head side to side.
“We will see about that.” The figure smiled at him before lifting up the pale male and taking him out of the room.