Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Keeper Of His Heart ❯ 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Yugi sipped on his Pepsi as he headed towards Yami's room. A terrified scream that sounded all too familiar sent the fair one's heart to racing. He dropped the can, pop splashing and gurgling onto the Lysol smelling tiled floor and he took off down the hall.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* WARNING: this scene contains a very, very brief implication of drug use!

Merik groaned and reluctantly opened his eyes. He felt weak and his head throbbed. What had he done last night? Yawning, he pushed himself up and stumbled out of bed. He tripped on some scattered clothes, hitting his head off the nightstand. He knelt and rubbed his newest bruise, blinking rapidly as he tried to clear his vision.

"What the hell is wrong with me? Why can't I remember last night?" No matter what he did, what drugs he took, what liquor he drank, who he slept with, he always remembered something. Usually it was just vague snatches, but there was always enough that he could piece together the majority of his activities. But now his mind was a complete blank.

Desperately trying to recall what'd happened, Merik crawled along the floor, knocking dirty clothes, cds, and video games out of his way. One tanned hand froze on the pair of dirty jeans in front of him. The area around the zipper was coated with dried blood. "Nani?" He dug through the huge pockets of the baggy pants, tossing aside a broken comb, lighter, and half empty cigarette pack. He didn't find anything else, other than a couple of Duel Monster cards he must've acquired somehow.

He tossed the jeans aside and tried to stand up, but he was too shaky. Feeling dirty with sweat and sleep, he crawled towards the bathroom once more when he noticed an old, worn green hoodie lying where the jeans had been. He dug through those pockets as well, pulling out a little plastic bag.

He gasped, his shaking fingers instantly going slack. He stared in absolute horror at the contents. No wonder he couldn't remember anything, and his body was so weak. But why would he have taken something like that? Crazy and wild as he was at times, he never would do anything like that...

Shaking his head, Merik groaned in pain. It just didn't make any sense. And where did the blood come from? Was it his own, or somebody else's? He shuddered and decided not to think about it. His head hurt too much, and in his present state, there was very little he could do.

"Out popping cherries were you?" Malik leaned against the door frame and smirked at the older boy's bloodied jeans. The smugness fell from his face as Merik turned to look at him, sheer terror on his face. "What happened?" He entered the room, side stepping the clutter, and knelt besides him.

Merik shook his head, his half nude body quivering. His pale purple eyes were wide with fear and misgiving. "I don't know. I don't think I want to know..." He trailed off, burying his face in the slimmer boy's shoulder as Malik hugged him.

END OF WARNING ZONE! ^.^

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Yami!" Yugi burst into the room and froze. The bigger boy's bed was surrounded by two doctors and half a dozen nurses, all struggling to hold the frantic boy down. His heart monitor raced wildly and his respirator could barely keep up with his rapid breathing. He thrashed, his legs churning and arms heaving. His ruby eyes were glazed and wide open in pure fear.

Yugi felt his heart catch in his throat, and tears welled as his violet eyes raked over the scene. All of Yami's IV's were attached, as were his heart monitor and respirator. The protective guard rails on both sides of his bed were lowered, allowing the medical staff better access to his body. Because the rails were lowered, Yami's extremities were unbound and currently thrashing wildly.

The little one stood there helplessly until he spied the cause of the struggle. One of the doctors held a feeding tube in his hand. Both of Yami's hands and wrists were encased in immobile plastic splints. Something snapped deep inside him, coming up and possessing him. "LEAVE HIM ALONE!" Yugi hollered at the top of his lungs.

Everyone in the Intensive Care Unit room turned in shocked silence at the deafening, angry scream. The white clothed staff gaped at the site of sweet tempered little Yugi Motou. His small hands were fisted on his thin hips, and his violet eyes were dark and snapping with anger. "You have no right. Get away from him." Yugi snarled viciously.

"Now, see here. He has been refusing to eat, and it's Hospital Policy to administer a feeding tube." The head nurse looked down her pointed nose at the little impudent one.

"You also need consent of the family. And I most certainly do NOT consent. So get away from him!" Yugi was seething with anger.

"You are still a minor. You have no legal authority here, young one." A doctor started, but Yugi rounded on him.

"Jiisan (grandfather) doesn't consent, either! Go! Go call him and see!" Yugi furiously pointed to the door as he glared at them all in turn. The heavy tension was broken only by the sounds of Yami's machines and labored breathing. He lay untouched, limp in his bed with his splinted hands resting on his chest.

The other doctor took pity upon both the boys. "I'll call Mr. Motou, your guardian, and talk to him about this. If you can get your brother to eat, then he won't be put on a feeding tube. But he must get nourishment into his body. One way, or another."

Yugi nodded curtly, his entire little body stiff as a poker. He was still to angry and frustrated for feelings of gratitude. He watched stiffly as the nurses put the guard rails back up and followed the doctors out, then rushed to the side of the bed.

Though Yami lay limp and exhausted, sweat beading on his soft, creamy white skin, his rich ruby eyes were still wide and fearful. Yugi brushed his swat matted bangs away from his eyes. "Shh, it's over. But you must eat, or else they will do that again." Yami whimpered and pulled away slightly.

"Then will you at least try to eat? Just a few bites?" Yami looked hesitatingly at his little, precious aibou and nodded. Yugi smiled a bit and reached out to pull Yami's untouched, still warm dinner tray over. His dainty hands uncovered the plastic plate, and both boys frowned at the pallid fare.

"Yuck." Yugi stuck out his tongue and crinkled his nose, and Yami actually smiled softly. Encouraged, the little angel smiled back. "You poor thing, no wonder you haven't been eating." Yugi frowned at the steamed vegetables and chunky, gravy smothered mystery meat. His frown deepened when he noticed the blunt metal utensils, which would be murder on Yami's sore, swollen, stitched lip.

Underneath the napkin, the hikari found a spoon a rubber-tipped spoon, which would make eating a lot easier on Yami. "Here we go. At least someone around here knows what they're doing." Yugi separated the carrots and potato chunks from the broccoli then mashed them up with the spoon while Yami looked on tiredly.

Yami tried to push himself up onto his pillow, but he was too weak to move. He whimpered when he pushed with his splint instead of his elbow. Yugi's attention was immediately back on him, rubbing his chest and urging him to relax. The little one caught one of Yami's splints. "Yami, what happened?"

Yami's eyes flickered to the guard rail back to his wrist. Yugi nodded in understanding. "When you were thrashing around? Did your wrists break?" Yami nodded slightly then shook his head. His stomach rumbled, causing him to blush and add some color back into his pale, sickly cheeks. Yugi smiled softly and put some mashed carrots onto the rubber tipped spoon and brought it gently to Yami's mouth.

The older boy hesitated, his eyes closed and body tense as he waited for the pain of a metal spoon hitting into his torn lower lip. Yugi tilted the spoon at an angle, so that the bottom barely brushed Yami's lip. The orange mash slid down the spoon, and Yami automatically opened his mouth, using his tongue to pull the carrots into his mouth and force them down the back of his throat.

Yugi managed to get most of it into his mouth, but some of it slipped down his chin and plopped onto his collar bone and hospital gown. Smiling gently in reassurance, Yugi used the spoon to wipe away the extra orange pulp from around Yami's mouth, then got a napkin and wiped the mess from his skin and hospital gown. He pulled a clean napkin off the pile, unfolded it, and tucked it into Yami's hospital gown, in case anymore food got slopped onto it.

He smiled at his beloved yami. "See, that wasn't so bad." Yami looked pointedly at his plate and crinkled his nose. Yugi giggled, and Yami smiled. "I never said it tasted good." Yugi said, leaning over and kissing Yami on the nose, his heart soaring with joy. Yami was eating willingly.