Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Last Christmas ❯ Prologue

[ A - All Readers ]

This fic is inspired by Darren Hayes from Savage Garden's song, Last Christmas.

Anzu bashing! This will be a chaptered fic, but not a very long one. I'm trying to get it all done today, if possible.

Mild shounen and shojo-ai. Yami/yugi, Seto Jou, bakura/ryou, and possible mai/anzu.

LAST CHRISTMAS

The Mizaki's living room was crowded with mingling neighbors for their annual Christmas party, which Mr. Mizaki always insisted on throwing to show off his moderate wealth, and Mrs. Mizaki felt it was her neighborly duty. Downstairs, in the basement, were all of the teenagers. The younger children and adults were upstairs, but the teens, being teens, had almost immediately separated from the rest of the party goers.

Based off of DarrenHayes's song, last Christmas

Yugi sat behind a chair in a far corner of the den. He hadn't wanted to come, but Jiisan had made him. The Mizaki's had invited them, and it would've been rude not to show up. He knew that, but he had a very good reason for coming; the Mizakis' daughter, Anzu. She was also the reason Yugi was currently hiding, curled up behind a large, overly stuffed chair.

He sniffled, remembering the Mizakis' Christmas party last year. Last year, he had had a huge crush on Anzu, and at her party, in this same room, he had given her a Christmas card and had written his feelings for her in it. She had read it, a look of pure disgust descending on her features, before ripping it up and stomping off. He had avoided her the rest of the night, curled up sobbing softly behind the big chair. He would've gone running to Yami, but the pharaoh had been enjoying himself, chatting with their friends. It was Christmas, and Yugi hadn't wanted to ruin anyone's time. So he had cried to himself. Yami or the others never suspected anything. By the time they had started to worry about Yugi, Jou had found the little hikari fast asleep.

Yugi hadn't seen Anzu for a year after that; after New Year's, she'd gone back to the private, and very expensive, dancing school in New York. That's why this year, when Yami and Bakura had gotten into a duel by the fireplace, Yugi had slipped quietly away. Seto was sure to be around somewhere, and he was bound to run into Yami, which meant thing would heat up even more, and Yugi's absence would go undetected for some time.

Yugi flinched when he heard a familiar voice. He cautiously peeked out behind the chair to see Anzu, with a happy smile about her face as she passed out glasses of milk and home made sugar cookies, smiling flirtatiously at Yami. Yugi blinked, feeling his heart clench. He didn't love Anzu anymore; he knew he'd been a fool to have done what he did last year. This year, he hoped he wasn't going to repeat the same mistake. Over the year, he'd fallen deeply in love with another. He felt this love stronger than he had felt anything for Anzu. He'd fallen for his yami. Of course, he didn't let Yami know this. What if Yami looked at him the way Anzu had? He didn't think he could handle that; his heart would shatter into a million pieces. Yet, in the pocket of his loose khaki jeans was a beautiful, silver embossed Christmas card, addressed to his dear Yami. Of course, Yugi had no intention of giving it to his dark half.

He sniffled. When he filled it out, he had meant to give it to Yami, but seeing Anzu that Anzu was after Yami as well swiftly changed his mind. He wanted to give it to Yami very badly, but what if Yami rejected him? They were so close already; practically everywhere Yami went, he took his hikari with him, and everywhere Yugi went, there was Yami at his side. What if he lost that? Who would he have? Everyone each had their own special someone. Bakura dated his hikari, as did Marik and Malik, Seto was with Jou, Tristan had Shizuka, Yami and Mai had gone out for a while before deciding on friendship, then Mai and Anzu had gone out before Mai had left Japan for a career in Europe. The only single ones left were Anzu, Yami, and Yugi. And nobody ever wanted to date Yugi. Why would they?

Tears welling in his eyes, Yugi wiped them away and peeked out again. Malik and Marik had arrived, and Marik was currently up against Yami. Ryou sat next to Bakura on the floor, head on his shoulder as the tomb robber fed him pieces of a cookie shaped like a snow man. Bakura smiled down at his hikari, then glared at Yami, then back to his hikari again. Jou lay with his head in Seto's lab, their hands entwined. Seto was doing the same thing as Bakura; glaring at Yami, smiling at Jou, glaring at Yami, smiling at Jou. Bakura and Seto caught each other's eye and glared at each other. Glare at Yami, smile at significant other, glare at each other, glare at Yami, etc., until Malik decided to join in as well.

Yugi nearly smiled and almost came out to join his friends when he saw Anzu mimic Bakura by lifting a cookie to Yami's mouth. Yami, who was in the middle of planning his strategy and not paying any attention to anything else, just absentmindedly opened his mouth and let the entire cookie hang there. Anzu smiled sweetly and batted her eyelashes at Yami.

Yugi's heart tore in half. He knew that Yami rarely paid attention to anything else during an intense duel, but just the sight of Anzu flirting with Yami broke his already damaged heart. During the year, his heart had healed, but, as the saying goes, once bitten, twice shy. He had given his heart to Anzu last year, and she had let it drop, cruelly shattering it with more force than was necessary. Although the pieces had been glued back together, the cracks were still there.

Tears trickling from his eyes, Yugi ran from behind the couch. He ran upstairs, slipped through the crowd of adults, who, lost in conversation thought that he was just another young child b/c of his size, and didn't pay him any mind. Yugi had just reached the top of the deserted stairs when a hand suddenly grabbed his thin shoulder and whipped him around. His huge, tear filled violet eyes met Anzu's harsh blue ones. She gripped the little angel's shoulder hard, bruising the soft flesh beneath his woolen sweater. He winced and looked down at his feet, unable to take the loathing in one of his supposed friend's eyes.

"Yugi! Stay away from Yami and me. I have plans for tonight; I've been waiting all year for this, and I don't want you to screw it up. You already ruined my Christmas last year."

Startled, Yugi gasped and looked up at her with hurt violet eyes shimmering with unshed tears. "How?"

Anzu snorted. "God, you're such a baby! You asked me out, and Yami wouldn't come near me because his precious little hikari liked me. Well, this year you will _not_ be in my way. " She paused to chuckle. "I still don't believe you actually asked me out. If I already had Yami, that would have been a hoot. Who would ever want you? You're weak, pathetic, and useless. The others only keep you around because they feel sorry for you, like a puppy that's been kicked one too many times. Yami may care for you, but it's only pity, and you're just a burden to him. He feels sorry for you, so he lets you tag along. The others truthfully don't like you; they only put up with you because they pity you, and because Yami does as well. If it wasn't for Yami, they wouldn't act as close as they do with you. You're nothing more than a pain in the ass, Yugi Mutou, and, as far as I am concerned, the world would be a better place if you're sniveling, cry baby presence wasn't in it. So just do us all a favor and stay out of sight for just one night. Is that too much to ask? Just one night free of you're unwanted, whiny self?"

Her words pierced Yugi's heart far deeper than her rejection from last year, shattering the already cracked instrument into tiny fragments. The tears coursed swiftly down his cheeks, and he sniffed. "I-I'm s-sor-ry." He whispered and tried to shrink away from her, but she still held him in a death grip. There were going to be bruises in the morning.

"I-I'm s-sor-ry." Anzu mimicked, smirking nastily. Her features twisted from mocking to scathing. Her hand left Yugi's shoulder, only to swing back, palm open, and crack him across his soft, pale cheek. The force of her slap sent the small one hurtling into the wall, where his temple met with unyielding plaster. His body couldn't hold itself up, and he sank to the ground, wrapping his arms around his knees, hugging them to his chest, and crying his broken heart out. Anzu stared down at him in disgust. "Yugi, you are beyond pathetic. Just stay away tonight, and grant us all a merry Christmas. That's all we want from you. For you to go away." She turned, her heels clicking on the steps as she went back to the party.

Yugi stayed curled up, leaning against the wall and crying his shattered soul out until he heard someone coming up the stairs. Quickly, breath catching in his throat, he scuttled into a dark, empty room and closed the door. He waited with bated breath until he heard the toilet flush and the bathroom door opened. Through a crack in his own door, Yugi saw the back of a leather clad, lean muscled, spiky haired figure make his way down the stairs.

He closed his still tear shedding eyes, trying to gather courage for what must be done. He truly didn't believe, deep down, that any of his friends really despised him as much as Anzu said, but if Yami really wanted to be with Anzu, then everyone downstairs had someone special to be with, and they didn't need Yugi hanging out and being the third wheel. He would let them all enjoy their Christmas. And if Yami truly wanted Anzu……….then there was only one gift he could give Yami that would make him truly happy. A new anguish ripping his heart and flooding his red eyes with new tears, Yugi reached into his pants pocket, took out his card for Yami, and ripped it in half. "Merry Christmas, Yami." He sobbed, curling into a trembling, heart broken ball.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

end for now! I'm really trying to finish it today, but I've got finals to study for! So, let me know what ya'all think! I've already got some of it typed up; it's a total of 7 pages so far! And it's nearly near the end, me thinks! So, if ya want part 2, you'd better r & r! thankies!